• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii reportedly announced DQ VII and VIII for the west at Japan Expo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope it's true, seems like every time there's a glimmer of hope for these to get a release in the west it's some miscommunication or mistake or something.

In French? Does this mean the games will surrender on you one hour in?

Yeah, and the U.S. release comes with a quagmire in Vietnam, morally questionable drone strikes and a side order of FREEDOM FRIES. Seriously, that's the first thing you think if when someone mentions France? This crap needs to stop.

If this games came out in 2016 , along with everything else already announced for next year, it really has an amazing lineup for its 6th(!) year on the market

Are you sure it's not a mistranlation of this bit?

"Horii also says that Square Enix are aware fans want the Nintendo 3DS remakes of Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest VIII in the West, and that the company is “thinking about it”."

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/0...e-square-thinking-about-localizing-3ds-games/

https://twitter.com/ffring/status/617326148696047616
At Japan Expo, a few hours after our interview, Yūji Horii on stage has just confirmed the release "in French" of DQVII and VIII!

AmyS

So wait (just woke up), are we saying we think that Dragon Quest VIIr will be localized in english for 3DS?

Are you sure it's not a mistranlation of this bit?

"Horii also says that Square Enix are aware fans want the Nintendo 3DS remakes of Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest VIII in the West, and that the company is “thinking about it”."

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/0...e-square-thinking-about-localizing-3ds-games/
No, it's definitely something else. The bit you're quoting is from an interview from yesterday we milked in the other thread while this piece of news comes from a stage event today where Horii dropped bombs at the end by announcing DQVII and VIII will be releasing in French on 3DS.

I played DQ 1 and 2 back in the day, but have never played the third entry. The original cart is somewhat cost prohibitive, not outlandish though.

I've heard that the third is really the best of the original three games and want to give it a try at one point. Would love 3DS emulation, but I hear the mobile port is actually quite good.
Dude, if you liked I-II, you owe it to yourself to play III.

So wait (just woke up), are we saying we think that Dragon Quest VIIr will be localized in english for 3DS?
Yes. And VIIIr.
How awesome is 2015?

crinale

Pfft, like their iOS ports are that much better. Besides, those GBC games aren't exactly lookers, they can still sell their fancy upgrades with those around.

Point taken though, they do seem to think that way with DQ. Plenty of other classics I'd like to see from them though

sörine;170863154 said:
It's probably because their revenue take from mobile ports are higher. That's really the only thing I can think of.

They used to say they wouldn't rerelease DQ games on VC/PSN because they made more off full retail remakes and collections but the mobile ports have since sort of blown a hole in the devaluing excuse.

Oh yeah I forgot about mobile ports.. well then yeah their devaluing excuse won't work anymore. Well there should be numerous factors (which we never know to be considered to make business decisions I guess.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd buy the VII port instantly. I had the game on PS1 a long time ago. I enjoyed the puzzles and the overall look of the game. It's a good game. I don't see why we haven't gotten this yet.

Why jerk around with it? Just port what you got SE

dq5-noscale.jpg

while we got

dwarrior7a.jpg

Joqu

I played DQ 1 and 2 back in the day, but have never played the third entry. The original cart is somewhat cost prohibitive, not outlandish though.

I've heard that the third is really the best of the original three games and want to give it a try at one point. Would love 3DS emulation, but I hear the mobile port is actually quite good.

It's not my favourite but 3 is great for sure, it holds up really well for what was originally an NES game. The mobile version is fine indeed so feel free to play it that way if you can, I'd definitely recommend it

Rocky

Banned
Yeah. On the one hand, I love having decent/good versions of DQ I-VI on my phone but on the other hand, it's incredibly frustrating that there's still no definitive version of these games. My favorite versions are probably the SNES ones but they're not very accessible on current hardware.
Still, these are probably my most played GBC games. I spent years playing and replaying them.

I guess the biggest hurdle there would be that they seem unwilling to reuse Dragon Warrior localizations, so they'd have to relocalize the GBC games with the mobile translations. That sounds counterproductive but that's clearly the way they're approaching the DQ brand in the West.

Have they added in controller support or landscape yet? I bought VIII on my android tablet, but struggled with the touchscreen controls. I also didn't like the portrait only mode and was wishing I could turn the tablet and play it in landscape.

Hugstable

Banned

Just get 3 on mobile right now! Don't wait, it's available right now and it's the SNES version! Enemy animations aren't that big of a deal, trust me that it's probably one of the better official ways to play the game right now unless you go hunting for a GBC and the GBC version.

Kasumin

I'm not even a Dragon Quest fan but I intend to get DQVII for 3DS on principle. DQVIII I don't care about as much, though.

Have they added in controller support or landscape yet? I bought VIII on my android tablet, but struggled with the touchscreen controls. I also didn't like the portrait only mode and was wishing I could turn the tablet and play it in landscape.
I think it's still the same mess. VIII is the one I couldn't stomach on mobile. Portrait mode is vile.

So while the 3DS version still looks a bit rough IMO, the added features still make this (probable) announcement incredibly good news.

rpmurphy

I'll support them by buying Dragon Quest Heroes and Dragon Quest 7. Should be enough to show some enthusiasm.
That's fine, I don't mean that fans need to go to extremes to support localizations, but just wanted to point it out. For a remake of a game that is very highly-regarded and then bombing (DQVr), I doubt it would speak well for future investments.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm not even a Dragon Quest fan but I intend to get DQVII for 3DS on principle. DQVIII I don't care about as much, though.

I would have thought you would get VIII because VIII felt like it was for newcomers.

I own the 3 on mobile, I've had IV-VI on DS. VII and VIII I've sold, I finished IX, and there's no real way to get X unless you import it and can play online.

VIII is a PS2 game until I play it on a handheld. I don't think it would run very well on my smartphone. I would rather spend extra to get a superior version.

IV and VI are some of my favorites. They're worth checking out.

Grief.exe

Had to dig out my DQ I-II for this one.

Dude, if you liked I-II, you owe it to yourself to play III.

It's not my favourite but 3 is great for sure, it holds up really well for what was originally an NES game. The mobile version is fine indeed so feel free to play it that way if you can, I'd definitely recommend it

Just get 3 on mobile right now! Don't wait, it's available right now and it's the SNES version! Enemy animations aren't that big of a deal, trust me that it's probably one of the better official ways to play the game right now unless you go hunting for a GBC and the GBC version.

I will check out the mobile version, or 3DS eshop if it ever comes to that point. My backlog is in such a position that I can wait it out for Play Store sales however.

I'd buy the VII port instantly. I had the game on PS1 a long time ago. I enjoyed the puzzles and the overall look of the game. It's a good game. I don't see why we haven't gotten this yet.

Why jerk around with it? Just port what you got SE

dq5-noscale.jpg

while we got

dwarrior7a.jpg

That looks amazing.

The Dragon Quest Monsters Remakes that were never ported look great too.

1383169445-dragon-quest-monsters-2.jpg

Had to dig out my DQ I-II for this one.

I will check out the mobile version, or 3DS eshop if it ever comes to that point. My backlog is in such a position that I can wait it out for Play Store sales however.

That looks amazing.

The Dragon Quest Monsters Remakes that were never ported look great too.

1383169445-dragon-quest-monsters-2.jpg

If we all raise our hands to the sky and buy VII and VIII,and the next nintendo handheld is backwards compatible, we could still get them.

HerjansEagleFeeder

Gold Member
Very excited for these ports. I finally get to experience this Dragon Quest everyone's talking about (i srsly haven't played that series, yet).

I don't care of the Joke personally, it's just sad it's still here though, racist joke still allowed at this point is pretty sad.

Racism, how does it work?

ppl upset about it are probably nationalists and hence the true 'racists' here

Kasumin

I would have thought you would get VIII because VIII felt like it was for newcomers.

I've always been intrigued by DQVII because it's so incredibly long. The PS1 version seems rough, but I'm willing to get the 3DS version a try when I get the time.

DQVIII I can get on PS2, and I think I'd rather just play that version.

Hugstable

Banned
I've always been intrigued by DQVII because it's so incredibly long. The PS1 version seems rough, but I'm willing to get the 3DS version a try when I get the time.

One of my favorite things about 7 is that it seems to have alot more puzzles than previous games, and has some of the best side stories in the series. Plus that feeling of bringing land back to the real world is awesome. I so can't wait to play this with the updated look, gameplay and translation.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Won't believe it until it's made official, but I would flip the fuck out if we got DQ VII.

DQVIII is still a demake, so if we're getting that, too... neat? Feels good to win.

Grief.exe

I have the PS2 version, and while it would be objectively better to emulate DQVIII, I find that having the portable version is just more convenient for playing. I should get an ethernet cable going for Steam In Home Streaming though.

Amazing, never thought this day would come. Loving this new SE. They dropped the ball by waiting so long to localize 7. Wonder how they'll handle releasing them both without them canabalizing each others sales.

Jokes are supposed to be funny. Oh, and i'm calm.

The joke itself wasn't that funny, but all the salty responses to it were.

DQ VIII is neat, but I played it and the version was pretty decent already

DQ VII on PSX was.. not a good experience for me so I'm super excited for that one though.

Reveirg

Amazing!!

Quoting myself from other thread a few days ago...

DQ producer has said in the past he was impressed with the DQ support in France.

Separately, S-E CEO said to a French journalist that they had a plan to reinvigorate the DQ franchise.

So I guess some localization announcement is possible at Japan Expo.

Called it! =D

meppi

Racist? Racist to say that the French suck at war? What?

I take it English isnt your native tongue.

I've been called racists by a french guy on PSN after laughing at him for sending me hatemail in BF4. Something to do with calling him a smelly Frenchman. (Al Bundy joke)
Even though he knew I was from Belgium, he called me a racist. lol

When I laughed some more an replied how I didn't know that the French were a race now, he replied that I should have studied more at school so I would have known that fact.
Some rather weird people over there. Not much of a sense of humour either. ;)

The joke itself wasn't that funny, but all the salty responses to it were.
So true. The joke fell completely flat, but those vicious responses and personal attacks sure are laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom