• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii reportedly announced DQ VII and VIII for the west at Japan Expo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miruhoggu

Neo Member
Dragon Quest VIII is a no-go on 3DS for a lot of reasons but I'm glad they're finally talking about a French version for DQ VII.

Too bad Nomura isn't at Japan Expo this year, he might have dropped the real bomb about FF VII Remake :D

Dragon Quest VIII is a no-go on 3DS for a lot of reasons but I'm glad they're finally talking about a French version for DQ VII.

Too bad Nomura isn't at Japan Expo this year, he might have dropped the real bomb about FF VII Remake :D

What are you even talking about?

In French? Does this mean the games will surrender on you one hour in?

it's funny because we won a war that lasted 116 years but americans can't into history apparently
highfive.gif

What a time to be alive.

Watch it only release in Europe because fuck NOA

I'm pretty sure this is SE publishing it so we shouldn't have another Xenoblade on our hands. At this point, I'm taking this announcement as meaning both 3DS games are getting WW releases. The rationale for not translating DQVII in English falls apart if they're willing to translate it in French (and I assume other EU languages).

Maybe SE are making an actual western DQ push beyond mobile.

No, but the games might protect a rapist from sentencing.
I'll tolerate this one because it's current and really fucking shameful.

Ridley327

He was upset because it was not on PS4?

He's upset since I'd have to think he's a Squenix employee and the company wasn't ready to announce anything about the localization yet.

Granted, with how old DQ7r is at this point, they're way overdue, but you know how publishers can be.

Massive downgrade.

In for dq7, nope for dq8. I need dat HD remaster.

It's naif to call for a "massive downgrade" when the 3DS version has:
  • faster battles;
  • no more random encounters;
  • new playable characters;
  • new story chapters;
  • SpotPass and StreetPass;
  • a better framerate

in addition with respect to the original version.

Forkball

So if DQ VII and VIII come out on the 3DS, you can play DQ IV-VIII on the 3DS in English. Not to mention a bunch of spinoffs. Awesome.

Oregano

He's upset since I'd have to think he's a Squenix employee and the company wasn't ready to announce anything about the localization yet.

Granted, with how old DQ7r is at this point, they're way overdue, but you know how publishers can be.

But from all the accounts it was the specific mention of "3DS" that he was upset about, not that the games were being given french localisations.

So if DQ VII and VIII come out on the 3DS, you can play DQ IV-VIII on the 3DS in English. Not to mention a bunch of spinoffs. Awesome.
Yeah. It's still a shame they never remade I-III in that DS engine, that would have been so perfect (I love the IV-VI remake engine).

sörine;170861921 said:
Massive is an overstatement, there seem to be both downgrades (foliage, shadows, draw distance) and upgrades (framerate, visible enemies, battle speed, extra content).
And the upgrades seems to be far more interesting and worthwhile versus the downgrades.

Hugstable

Banned
Yeah. It's still a shame they never remade I-III in that DS engine, that would have been so perfect (I love the IV-VI remake engine).

That would have been neat for 3, thankfully we still got the SNES version officially here now in the West to on mobile. Though I still think GBC is probably my favorite overall due to monster medals. I still think it's strange that the ios and andriod version of 3 doesn't have monster animations when they existed in the SNES remake originally. Kinda funny since they are in the GBC version too -__-

Or Square can just put the GBC versions up on the eShop.

Also I stupidly forgot DQIX and DQX kind of, so you can play DQ IV-IX in English on the 3DS. If Square ever does put up the GBC games on eShop, you can play THE ENTIRE SERIES ON 3DS.

Did they ever put up 1-3 on NES or GBC up in JP Eshop for 3DS? I would prefer GBC, but damn I would love to have the games portable

Forkball

Also I stupidly forgot DQIX and DQX kind of, so you can play DQ IV-IX in English on the 3DS. If Square ever does put up the GBC games on eShop, you can play THE ENTIRE SERIES ON 3DS.

I can't wait for the inevitable Nintendo Direct about these games. The earliest we'll see them is 2016, but I don't even care.

"Please take a look"

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
For all of the games that DQ fans have never gotten because of low sales, fans should really support localizations for the sake of future games. Just my 2 cents.

Mine as well.

I'm a console gamer through and through... and I'll be buying these both.

Joqu

They should really just put the GBC versions on the eShop, it's a shame Square Enix has been so skittish with their Virtual Console support.

One step at a time I suppose

Hugstable

Banned
For all of the games that DQ fans have never gotten because of low sales, fans should really support localizations for the sake of future games. Just my 2 cents.

I still wish we could get the other Slime game with the Pirates, I love the Rocket Slime game on DS, though I think those will never come. I'm just happy as hell that VII is finally coming as I've been wanting that remake the second it existed.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Seriously? HYPEEEEEE... next up, pushing to get DQX, the Rocket Slime 3DS and the DQM games over here.

robotnik

It's naif to call for a "massive downgrade" when the 3DS version has:
  • faster battles;
  • no more random encounters;
  • new playable characters;
  • new story chapters;
  • SpotPass and StreetPass;
  • a better framerate

in addition with respect to the original version.
Points taken.
K5SaSdF.jpg

As for me I only interested in new story chapters. I didn't have any problems with original's framerate and strangely enough like random encounters.

I'll support them by buying Dragon Quest Heroes and Dragon Quest 7. Should be enough to show some enthusiasm.

crinale

They should really just put the GBC versions on the eShop, it's a shame Square Enix has been so skittish with their Virtual Console support.

As for DQ, SE is extremely stubborn to put it to VC or PS1 classics. Perhaps they're afraid of devaluing IP or something :p

That would have been neat for 3, thankfully we still got the SNES version officially here now in the West to on mobile. Though I still think GBC is probably my favorite overall due to monster medals. I still think it's strange that the ios and andriod version of 3 doesn't have monster animations when they existed in the SNES remake originally. Kinda funny since they are in the GBC version too -__-
Yeah. On the one hand, I love having decent/good versions of DQ I-VI on my phone but on the other hand, it's incredibly frustrating that there's still no definitive version of these games. My favorite versions are probably the SNES ones but they're not very accessible on current hardware.
Still, these are probably my most played GBC games. I spent years playing and replaying them.

I guess the biggest hurdle there would be that they seem unwilling to reuse Dragon Warrior localizations, so they'd have to relocalize the GBC games with the mobile translations. That sounds counterproductive but that's clearly the way they're approaching the DQ brand in the West.

Joqu

As for DQ, SE is extremely stubborn to put it to VC or PS1 classics. Perhaps they're afraid of devaluing IP or something :p

Pfft, like their iOS ports are that much better. Besides, those GBC games aren't exactly lookers, they can still sell their fancy upgrades with those around.

Point taken though, they do seem to think that way with DQ. Plenty of other classics I'd like to see from them though

Grief.exe

I played DQ 1 and 2 back in the day, but have never played the third entry. The original cart is somewhat cost prohibitive, not outlandish though.

I've heard that the third is really the best of the original three games and want to give it a try at one point. Would love 3DS emulation, but I hear the mobile port is actually quite good.

sörine

Banned
It's probably because their revenue take from mobile ports are higher. That's really the only thing I can think of.

They used to say they wouldn't rerelease DQ games on VC/PSN because they made more off full retail remakes and collections but the mobile ports have since sort of blown a hole in the devaluing excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom