• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW Patch 1.11 released

Is the glitch is when you have the blood moon more than once in one night? That just happened to me. I wasn't in a good area for that to happen neither. :(

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I believe I only ever experienced it after stepping into dungeons (including
Hyrule Castle
), where the red haze comes in but doesn't do anything, so my thinking is that it throws an internal counter off track and you get multiple Blood Moons until the numbers line up again. But that's just my educated guess.

Someone ought to test knocking a moblin over. That was also a 100% repeatable huge frame skip / drop.

Strangely, I rarely encountered this. I know exactly what you're talking about, and it was bad when it came up, but I couldn't seem to trigger it often or on purpose. Dunno why, maybe I never knew exactly what caused it in the first place?

Reki

If it improves performance, good news! I have the game but not the console, really hoping to be able to grab one soon.

KJA

Gonna wait for that Digital Foundry/GameXplain 15 min breakdown of the update before I start believing anything lol.

guek

Banned
Strangely, I rarely encountered this. I know exactly what you're talking about, and it was bad when it came up, but I couldn't seem to trigger it often or on purpose. Dunno why, maybe I never knew exactly what caused it in the first place?

Yeah, that happened maybe 3 or 4 times in 80hrs for me

a few days ago for me, but this still stings if its true. Some of the worst lag ive seen in a big budget game in recent times in some areas.

thought the framerate was comparable on both, just that switch was slightly better resolution?

Definitely not.
From what I've seen, Kakariko and Hateno actually managed to hit a decent 30FPS on Switch, playing fully on Wii U, those areas literally never seem to hit 30. It's chop city in any village. The Rito Village also is sub 30 Without a doubt and I've seen it run smooth on Switch.

Just to make it even clearer, this was with no weather effects in both versions. I think villages drop to about Wii U level framerate when thunderstorms are going on in 'em.

Luigiv

I'm undocked and I'd definitely getting less dips in the Korok Forest.

Gonna try the Plateau.

Did the same. Huge improvement, it's night and day. Definitely still dips, but they're rarer and only last a fraction of a second now instead of 10s of seconds.

That's... Great news!
ronnie.gif~c200

Now all Nintendo has to do for the docked version is increase
the resolution to 1080p, and maybe double and lock the framerate to 60fps.

tumblr_mpqa3xp2cX1rpls53o1_500.gif

Also to those who seriously think Nintendo will detail their patch notes with other than,"Adjustments have been made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.."

d362e761eca77364170f2bb01b673637.jpg

Definitely not.
From what I've seen, Kakariko and Hateno actually managed to hit a decent 30FPS on Switch, playing fully on Wii U, those areas literally never seem to hit 30. It's chop city in any village. The Rito Village also is sub 30 Without a doubt and I've seen it run smooth on Switch.

welp... I bought a WiiU for Zelda years ago. Thx Nintendo :)

Mr. Hyde

Awesome news! I just bought Zelda and a Switch. I've played a bit on the Wii u and I was bummed having to start over but this is even better incentive.

Going to try out A
kala
T
ower
on Wii U and see if that is better. That had the worst frame rate for me including K
orok
F
orest

Ziocyte

Just ran through
Korok
Forest docked. I had just finished the
Follow the little Korok guy stealth
shrine and ported back to the main shrine when I saw this thread. Did a quick run through the area and there were significant drops as usual. Closed out, downloaded the patch and then ran that same path with almost no noticeable drops. A very significant difference. This is awesome if it holds up for other areas of the game. Going to check out
Faron
next.

The worst frame drops I saw in the entire game were (southwest of Death Mountain)
in the sequence leading up to unlocking the shrine by Gorko Tunnel, where you carry the rock up the hill to the Goron
, but I was playing on battery at the time down to about 10%, and it may be the case that the Switch throttles its performance at low battery levels.

I tried
Kakariko
and
Hateno
Villages on Wii U and it happened to rain.

It was clearly choppy and sub-30, but it didn't feel like it was dipping into the teens like before.

Please take this with the usual placebo effect massive grain of salt.

I had to run before I could test it further like other villages in different conditions, a certain significant replicable spot on the Plateau, or any Moblins.

Big improvements everywhere I've gone to so far. The infamous forest still chugs, but it's much, much better. Playing docked on Switch.

They've fixed the framerate issues at the start of the game when Switch is docked anyway! No more massive framerate drops when running down the hill with the large shadows. I stress tested it by fighting the goblin too. About time Nintendo!

Yes, when you teleport to the shrine and enter the "village" it's better, but you just need to get a little close to the
Master Sword stone
and the frame drops to the 20s again.

Then get closer and it's fine again. It's a pretty small trouble spot, at least undocked.

Speely

Banned

Same. Happened to me once (for like 1 second!!) but I couldn't recreate it after
Probably some weird code issue.

So happy to hear that they have ironed out some of the framey docked mode wrinkles.

Keyouta

The framerate is definitely higher. Just updated the system after going to a certain area, and now it runs much better.

Arttemis

I'm on a docked Switch. Korok Forest still has slow-down, but it seems to stutter 1/4th as often and those instances don't seem to dip to as low of a framerate.

bomblord1

Banned
I've been hearing about improvements in FPS since the first Switch system update. I'll wait for confirmation from somewhere like DF

Dremorak

Banned
Yes, when you teleport to the shrine and enter the "village" it's better, but you just need to get a little close to the
Master Sword stone
and the frame drops to the 20s again.

For about a second or two and then its right back to 30. Also in my testing that seems to be the only spot that does that

Of course

not. Maybe they can get rid of the dynamic resolution and make it a solid 720p handheld and solid 900p in docked, or the latter at least.

Okay, that's makes a lot more sense. My satire detector went crazy for the first part of your post, but then you made fun of people for expecting decent patch notes and I wasn't sure anymore.

Luigiv

Moblin freeze issue is possibly fixed too. Just fought one in a known problem area and didn't experience the issue (there may have been a 0.1s stutter at one point, though it's hard to tell without recorded footage). Need to fight more to be sure though (could have just gotten lucky).

Also, playing with it for a few minutes, I wonder if they switched from double buffering to triple buffering v-sync. It feels more like triple buffering to me now, but that could just be because the drops are shorter.

Top Bottom