• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW Patch 1.11 released

Speely

Banned
It's a damn shame that the game released in such a state to begin with, but I'm glad it's being improved for future players and those still playing (assming people aren't just imagining things). 3D Zelda has had a rough time when it comes to technical hiccups since TP with game breaking glitches and now framerate problems.

Hope to hop back in when the DLC drops and enjoy the improved performance. Maybe it'll get more improvements between now and then.

Considering the speed of this considerable performance upgrade, I'd say that's a pretty safe bet.

Okay, that's makes a lot more sense. My satire detector went crazy for the first part of your post, but then you made fun of people for expecting decent patch notes and I wasn't sure anymore.

If the switch version of botw was optimized on switch, I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible for dynamic 1080p and unlocked 60 fps.

random25

Tested things undocked, and performance seems to be better.

- Kakariko is smoother all around. No noticeable frame drops.
- Korok Forest is also smoother. As you get closer to the center there's noticeable drops but once it's loaded everything goes smoother, even if you go back and forth.
- Great Plateau is also smoother. No noticeable drops if there is one.
- Fighting a bunch of moblins and no random freezing occurred on my side.

Patch does improve performance in a big way.

Do game updates download automatically on switch? I just done it the manual way.

It downloaded as soon as it detected a wifi.

Rodin

Do game updates download automatically on switch? I just done it the manual way.
Yes.

- Korok Forest is also smoother. As you get closer to the center there's noticeable drops but once it's loaded everything goes smoother, even if you go back and forth.

Posted almost the same impressions in the other thread (Switch docked).

Speely

Banned

Bless you.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I hope they didn't lower shadow quality for undocked :/

I'm not sure you'd notice tbh, it's not a massive difference on my 40" HDTV when docked but it was something I was looking for as I always had a feeling the shadow quality was too high for a Switch game and from my experience on PC lowering shadows down a level can get you 5-10 fps improvements.

The camera controls also feel more responsive to me now when docked, I guess just an improvement in latency from the faster framerate.

rockx4

It downloaded as soon as it detected a wifi.

Can't wait till I get home! I barely played the game docked due to slowdowns, but now I can :)

The big question though is whether they downgraded any effects to pull this off. Hope DF looks into that.

edit: oh jinx, people are saying shadows dropped?

Charamiwa

Banned
Damn hearing some of the stories of how it runs (or used to run) on other versions, I'm glad I stuck with the undocked mode.

Went to the hebra region, full of moblins, from all places this was the one i would get easily the freezing issue from them, now using multiple fire bombs, there is a slight milisecond hiccup. the villages are also much better and consistent.

Luigiv

Moblin freeze issue is possibly fixed too. Just fought one in a known problem area and didn't experience the issue (there may have been a 0.1s stutter at one point, though it's hard to tell without recorded footage). Need to fight more to be sure though (could have just gotten lucky).

Nope, false alarm. Just got the issue in another spot whilst making my way to a shrine.

20cent

Banned
I'm interested to know how people can tell how many fps they have in tablet mode.

But I think I know already.

Plum

Why did this have to get released after I've finished the game? I hate going back to games I've finished without substantial DLC to entice me no matter how good they are.

Speely

Banned
I'm not sure you'd notice tbh, it's not a massive difference on my 40" HDTV when docked but it was something I was looking for as I always had a feeling the shadow quality was too high for a Switch game and from my experience on PC lowering shadows down a level can get you 5-10 fps improvements.

The camera controls also feel more responsive to me now when docked, I guess just an improvement in latency from the faster framerate.

Wat. Y'all are melting my heart.

rockx4

I remember a shrine with a bunch of spikes around it, slowdowns were insane when I tried it docked. Can anyone check? I don't remember the shrine name though.

Edit: Rucco Maag Shrine

So... no one yet knows if they fixed the blood moon glitch? That's the one real glitch in the game so I hope it was fixed.

For the uninformed: You were able to get blood moons at weird times (they're only supposed to happen at midnight). There were even multiple times where I got 2 blood moons within 5 seconds of each other, and 3 blood moons within a 1 minute.

You could trigger the glitch by always putting your game in sleep mode, and never actually quitting it. I guess I'll try that for a few days and see what happens.

Korok's a lot better, almost no drops in undocked now, still some slowdown in docked. Hetsu's dance always lags while docked and I saw a smooth dance this time. The patch is legit.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I remember a shrine with a bunch of spikes around it, slowdowns were insane when I tried it docked. Can anyone check? I don't remember the shrine name though.
Ooh yeah that was borderline uplayable !! Haha
It was the spikes that did that imo

Does this improve the fps in the WiiU ver?

I notice the dips while I am in towns

on WiiU, Hyrule Castle didnt seem better, Plataeu and the forest at the start still laggin pretty bad. KF and HV still a slideshow too.

either its more for the Switch version,very slight to the point where im not noticing, or its placebo.

ryushe

lmao I was literally in
Korok Forest
as I got the update.

Edit:
Korok Forest
t is MUCH better.

Best game just got better.

Speely

Banned
So... no one yet knows if they fixed the blood moon glitch? That's the one real glitch in the game so I hope it was fixed.

For the uninformed: You were able to get blood moons at weird times (they're only supposed to happen at midnight). There were even multiple times where I got 2 blood moons within 5 seconds of each other, and 3 blood moons within a 1 minute.

You could trigger the glitch by always putting your game in sleep mode, and never actually quitting it. I guess I'll try that for a few days and see what happens.

Due to the nature of blood moons, this might take a bit longer to answer. That said, if no one answers soon that bodes well :)

Branduil

That forest is still bad in docked mode, but it's an improvement. Before it was a constant 15-20 FPS, now it seems to go from 20-30 FPS.

20cent

Banned
You look with your eyes. Don't think anyone is counting frames till DF shows up.

Seeing framerate dropping and slow downs is one thing, stating "I had 22 fps at best before and now I swear that it is locked at 30 fps in tablet mode" is another.

watershed

Banned
My Switch auto downloaded the patch. It installed after I closed the game and I restarted and immediately went to
the Kokiri Forest
where the framerate had been awful before and now it is as smooth as the rest of the game! Good improvement, now I don't have to deal with that chugging every time I visit.

fester

Banned
Please avoid location spoilers, folks. Remember to tag your locations like this L
ocation
N
ame

Locations aren't fucking spoilers. I'm 1 hour into the game and it won't matter a lick of difference if I see the name of some place that's hours and hours away - if I even remember it by then. All the blacked out, spolierphobia BS is making this thread a chore to read.

Wagram

The frame rate in the
Faron tropical forest
area is significantly improved. Pretty solid overall with a few minor dips whereas it was choppy as balls before.

It's definitely better. The Korok Forest has gotten better too, but it's not fixed. I think I know what they did though. Before, if you were in a spot where the framerate dropped, you could stand still then move the camera and it'd still be bad. Now if you're walking around, it'll tank but if you stop to move the camera, it'll be smooth. I think it has something to do with rendering the world. They probably did something related to LOD. I think the best fix would be to enable occlusion culling. So anything that's not in the camera's view won't be rendered. Like how Crash Bandicoot was made possible on PSOne. You might get some artifacts on screen edges as seen on FFXIV with that setting enabled (Enabled on PS4 version by default), but it would probably fix the frame rate for good.

EDIT: I tested in docked mode. Undocked, the forest is nearly flawless. Saw a very quick hitch or two but quickly fixed themselves. If that's the case there, the entire game world undocked is probably fixed.

DMONKUMA

Locations aren't fucking spoilers. I'm 1 hour into the game and it won't matter a lick of difference if I see the name of some place that's hours and hours away - if I even remember it by then. All the blacked out, spolierphobia BS is making this thread a chore to read.

You got to remember that people are extra sensitive to spoilers :p

Top Bottom