• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW Patch 1.11 released

Yea sorry, I need to go turn in my preview copy. Should've waited until today for the retail copy to hit.

Fucking Nintendo lied to me and acted like the game launched on March 3rd.

Q88rJ.gif

I just got a bad frame drop on Switch docked when knocking a moblin over. Game froze for about 2 seconds. It's also raining though.

Edit: And I just got the worst frame drop I've ever had while playing. So much so that the game audio was affected (that's never happened to me before). I'm testing in Pappetto Grove (south of the Faron Grasslands).

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
The Wii U version still has slowdowns in towns, but the Switch version is running like a dream.

No surprise the Switch is seeing much more significant framerate improvements from the patch as the developers said they done next to no optimisation for the Switch version. The Wii U version had probably been ready for months by the time it launched.

The docked Switch version is now the definitive way to play Breath of the Wild on native hardware.

Doing more tests on Wii U, it's hard to tell. There are times where it feels the same, times when it feels like it's somewhat smoother overall, and times where it feels like the worst dumpster fire framerates of before are trying to resurface in the form of short stutters as opposed to drawn out segments of N64 era fps.

I'd wait for DF to take a look at Wii U.

ciD_Vain

Fought some moblins in docked. Noticed that slow down only occurred when using a 2-handed weapon to knock down white moblins and not against the black ones. However, the slowdown didn't last as long as it used to.

Wonder if we'll get any patch notes like Splatoon

Exciting times!

Nah. Even after Splatoon we've had several other Nintendo games with non-existent or nearly non-existent patch-notes. Pretty sure Splatoon is a weird exception to Nintendo's refusal to divulge patch contents, and it was probably a decision made specifically by the staff of that game.

(Nintendo also has thorough patch notes on mobile, but I think those are platform requirements)

Honestly all three 1st parties SHOULD be mandating OS-level patch-notes for all games. Kind of ridiculous that they don't.

Bud.. To be fair, this is a very new direction for a LoZ game and some people don't know anything. I get that most folks prolly know most of the iconic locations are in the game, but why assume that? It's easier for us to not spoil things than it is for those who have not played to not be spoiled.

It's actually a new location, pretty sure, but it's not a spoiler. The most you're getting is the name of a forest.

It launched and will receive content updates/improvements throughout the year. In five years time will anyone give a shit about framerate problems that lasted less than a month? Will all of the "gotta be first!!1!" represent the game accurately at all?
I don't think you understand what would go into updating every review while simultaneously reviewing new games that come out.

That particular forest is SO much better docked on Switch. There is a moment of slowdown here and there but nothing like it used to be where it was difficult to enjoy the pretty area.

FSLink

Banned
Bud.. To be fair, this is a very new direction for a LoZ game and some people don't know anything. I get that most folks prolly know most of the iconic locations are in the game, but why assume that? It's easier for us to not spoil things than it is for those who have not played to not be spoiled.

They'll get over it. It's so incredibly minor that you might as well just avoid the internet until getting the game yourself.

Patch notes are finally out:

- Adjustments have been made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.

Expected...sadly. :(

It launched and will receive content updates/improvements throughout the year. In five years time will anyone give a shit about framerate problems that lasted less than a month? Will all of the "gotta be first!!1!" launch reviews represent the game accurately at all?

Are you saying this should apply to all games reviewed? Because tons of games get patches these days that would potentially alter the score.

Or is this just for games you like?

RootCause

Funny patch notes.

Key word: had. Just like Splatoon didn't have ranked play and extra modes.

Writing a "definitive" review in time for launch is a relic of the magazine era and needs to be phased out. Just do a "launch impressions" piece and write a new one when a significant update drops.
Man, just get over damn scores. Take your review/scores talk elsewhere, this isn't the thread for that.

Malus

Not in my personal experience *shrug*. I was running all over that place one of the few places I completed all the side quests I could find (with 1 exception)

Also I've NEVER had an outright freeze killing moblins in any scenario.

Well great. Happy that some lucked into a better experience, but these problems certainly existed.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
The moblin problem gets a lot less frequent, but it still happens. Progress at least.

Not getting hard drops to 20fps whenever you go near trees in the sunshine (which produced a lot of shadows) is a massive improvement to the game in general. Very happy with the patch. The game must have just made launch and no more.

It launched and will receive content updates/improvements throughout the year. In five years time will anyone give a shit about framerate problems that lasted less than a month? Will all of the "gotta be first!!1!" launch reviews represent the game accurately at all?
Will a patch erase everyone's memories of their original playthroughs?

I honestly don't know why you're mad about reviews knocking on the framerate. The game is still a critical darling.

CEJames

Some companies really think we're too dumb to understand patch notes. dammit.....

"- Adjustments have been made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience."

Get outta here with that....

rockx4

Not in my personal experience *shrug*. I was running all over that place one of the few places I completed all the side quests I could find (with 1 exception)

Also I've NEVER had an outright freeze killing moblins in any scenario.

I've actually never noticed that either. I didn't know it was an issue till this thread. I played undocked 99% of the time though.

Speely

Banned
It's actually a new location, pretty sure, but it's not a spoiler. The most you're getting is the name of a forest.

Right but some people don't even want that.

What about when a traveler mentions that location? Then the player assigns all the stuff they read on NeoGAF to that location.

Bottom line is, there is a spoiler thread, and the effort it takes to spoiler something in a non-spoiler thread is far less that the effort it takes to un-remember something you read in a framerate thread.

I feel like NeoGAF is the kind of place someone should be able to count on for that kind of consideration.

Jon

My big tests were charging up sword attacks to cut down tall grass both in open fields and in forrested areas...running amazingly now. One of the best games of all time has now gotten appreciably better, IMO.

I've played for over 100 hours. The Moblin thing happens. Thought the game froze on me the first time since it dropped to like 0fps for like 2-3 seconds. It's not too frequent. Tried replicating it by fighting 4 red, 6 black, 2 silver, and and 3 blue.
Had a minor dip with a blue one. I'm guessing it's something physics related since it's when they go flying

I've put 70 hours into the game before the patch. Is my 70 hour playtime a hot take?

People were saying the same shit about turning the wifi off lol

"Yep, can confirm this DEFINITELY improves performance"

Those people were silly. I could have told you they were wrong on day one.

Korok Forest
alone is a huge improvement now. It's still not perfect (heck, not even close), but it is absolutely better.

Speaking of Switch, docked, by the way.

What about when a traveler mentions that location? Then the player assigns all the stuff they read on NeoGAF about that location.

All the stuff they read like... the name of the forest? Nothing else was detailed. A spoiler would be that the
Master Sword is in the Korok Forest
. The name of it? Nah.

Look some people are asshats when it comes to spoilers. But that's not a spoiler.

Kyzer

Banned
Top Bottom