• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoë Quinn writes on games industry's reaction to harassment "Risky Business"

ElNarez

Banned
http://ohdeargodbees.tumblr.com/post/119343938684/risky-business
Over the course of running Crash Override, we’ve gotten a lot of cases where people were worried about their livelihoods. What happens if they find my stalker’s blogs about me? Will they fire me from all the phone calls from strangers? They’re mass emailing my boss demanding I be fired - even though it’s one person sending a bunch of mails. How will I ever find a job after this? Do I have anything to worry about?

With a really fucking heavy heart I’ve gotta say yes. Yes you do.

Especially if you work in a game studio.

I know it because I’ve had a front row seat to the way things work in this environment for the last 9 months.

There’s so much about how day to day life is impacted by being targeted by campaigns of online harassment that no one seems to understand until they’ve been there - then it seems like we all speak the same language: paranoia, social anxiety, crumbling relationships, and fear. It’s hard to translate some of it to anyone outside of this, but I’d like to try.

The way the industry is reacting to this is disgusting and we should demand better. Please read.

paolo11

It's horrifying that until now she still gets harrassed. It's unfair. When will they stop harassing her?

raphier

Banned
how do they know at what studios she applied employment that it resulted in brigade, that part left me confused

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Shameful behaviour from the "gaming community", hopefully these children grow up soon or the industry will be set back decades.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's horrifying that until now she still gets harrassed. It's unfair for her and everyone close to her. When will they stop harassing her?

ftfy

And as far as your question goes, they won't stop until she's completely removed herself and everything she's worked for from the internet. I would also say "once people grow up and realize this shit isn't cool", but let's be realistic, hateful misogynists aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Faustek

I still can't really understand what the hell happened. Or rather how it happened.
Is it so hard to disagree with someone without trying to, literally, destroy them? :/

Anyway, not finishing that read. To fucking depressing

Par Score

One of the worst things about the whole GamerGate debacle is the industry's overall non-reaction.

Cheaper, easier, safer to stay quiet, shut out the small number of victims, placate or at least try not to anger the larger number of harassers, hope the whole thing goes away.

It's shameful.

Her story is easily the single greatest stomach churning embarrassment in "video game culture" today. Every time I think about what it must be like for her to get through the day I'm completely disgusted at how complicit the industry is in facilitating this to continue.

It also have mixed feelings that gamergate still comes up daily but despite the hashtag originating in reference to Quinn, it is almost exclusively used in reference to Anita Sarkeesian or an generalized atmosphere of oppression against women in the industry.

She's no longer the first name to come to mind when the hashtag comes up, but maybe the real shame in all of this is that even at the law enforcement level, there's just no way to deal with it, other than to hope it just magically goes away by itself. Eighteen months and counting, I can't imagine what it feels like waiting for something that will probably never come.

And then to think that 'Depression Quest' is maybe one of the most tangibly positive educational games to come out in years.

EVH

This kind of shit really makes me hate this hobby.

The worst thing is that there is people like this in game journalism and the actual industry, too.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I still can't really understand what the hell happened. Or rather how it happened.
Is it so hard to disagree with someone without trying to, literally, destroy them? :/

Anyway, not finishing that read. To fucking depressing

There's a difference between people disagreeing and one group perceiving this person's very existence and everything she represents as some kind of ideological threat to their beloved sacred hobby.

One would hope that these people will eventually realize how wrong this is and move on with their lives (while also seeking to repair the damage they'd done to the community at large), but those still continuing this shit are... well... committed to their "ideals". It's disgusting and needs to be stopped.

raphier

Banned
ftfy

And as far as your question goes, they won't stop until she's completely removed herself and everything she's worked for from the internet. I would also say "once people grow up and realize this shit isn't cool", but let's be realistic, hateful misogynists aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

nah, people tend to easily forget things. Just look at some of the biggest controveries on media. From one to another. I think she just keeps reminding people of it and she never moves on. They used to say that time heals and it has always been true. Hell I almost forgot about this whole debacle until this blog post resurfaced it and she's written a ton. I think if she gave it more than 5 years before writing about her memories and experiences, the populace would calm down.

I saw something on Reddit where the guy that started the harassment is trying to get legal aid to overturn the restraining order. He writes like he's the victim of her harassment. It's...odd.

"Elephants afraid of mice" sums up about 90% of this entire debacle. Hopefully this heartfelt blog post will help this guy out, but Quinn's blog is probably blocked at some companies ;p

nah, people tend to easily forget things. Just look at some of the biggest controveries on media. From one to another. I think she just keeps reminding people of it and she never moves on. They used to say that time heals and it has always been true. Hell I almost forgot about this whole debacle until this blog post resurfaced it and she's written a ton. I think if she gave it more than 5 years before writing about her memories and experiences, the populace would calm down.

You couldn't be more wrong. People aren't forgetting. There are entire communities on certain sites dedicated to making the lives miserable for Zoe Quinn and those like her. And it's a bit hard to 'move on' when you're constantly being harassed and under fire for wanting gaming to be an inclusive space. Which is something any decent human being would want.

Ms.Galaxy

One of the worst things about the whole GamerGate debacle is the industry's overall non-reaction.

Cheaper, easier, safer to stay quiet, shut out the small number of victims, placate or at least try not to anger the larger number of harassers, hope the whole thing goes away.

It's shameful.

Of course they wouldn't speak about it, that's their money dispensers that's doing this toxic shit. They dare not risk losing costumers for a few developers that they could easily replace with a flick of their wrist. Doesn't help that they cultivated that culture for years.

Kids? Some of these manlets are in their 30's, 40's.

Pathetic pieces of shit one and all.

Thats so hard for me to wrap my head around.

As an adult its just insane to think there are other adults who would do this. Like people with jobs, maybe even family and kids. What is wrong with them?

Like, lets pretend that even the worst of what is said is true. Still, who gives a shit? You are a fucking grown up harassing someone over videogames.

I cant understand sexually frustrated insecure teenagers. But adults? Jesus.

MarionCB

There are so many things about this that depress the hell out of me and make me misanthropic. I get that the people doing the actual harassing are a sick minority but generally they seem to be left to it by the majority, especially from the actual games industry.

I'm very thankful for moderated places of sanity like neogaf, because if you go out into the wild internet, there are seemingly so many that think this is all ok somehow and that can really get to me.

As a side-note: I was extremely annoyed the other day to see that a GamerGate curator is on Steam, ugh. I had to adblock it to get rid of it.

Mman235

The general industry's deafening silence on GG has said a lot about it's overall morals and values, especially when they had a shot at quickly putting it down if they had condemned it in unison and specifically (as opposed to the vague "we are against harassment" stuff that makes up most of the public statements there are).

Clefargle

I saw something on Reddit where the guy that started the harassment is trying to get legal aid to overturn the restraining order. He writes like he's the victim of her harassment. It's...odd.

It's the same tactic homophobes and creationists have been using for decades. If you try and stop me from harassing or discriminating, you are now discriminating and harassing me. Nothing new, and it's just as shameless here.

raphier

Banned
You couldn't be more wrong. People aren't forgetting. There are entire communities on certain sites dedicated to making the lives miserable for Zoe Quinn and those like her. And it's a bit hard to 'move on' when you're constantly being harassed and under fire for wanting gaming to be an inclusive space. Something any decent human being wants.

being emotional about it is one thing,but having control of the situation is another. Kicking the hornet's nest occasionally will only make it angrier. These people fantasize about being bad to her. If I learned anything from psychology class is that when you reinforce someone's fantasy they are going to strengthen their grip. It's difficult, but by ignoring it for a while helps her cause despite being probably the worst option avialable, but it is the solution to the problem. Think about the Lewinsky scandal.

She'd move on if this wasn't an impediment to her work and mental health. Her name is synonymous with the gamergate controversy and she'll always have to deal with people spouting their half remembered bullshit about her to discredit and harass her. They won't forget and they haven't let up so she shouldn't stop writing about it. It's not only for or about her either. It helps so many other people in and out of the industry with their awareness.

raphier

Banned
She'd move on if this wasn't an impediment to her work and mental health. Her name is synonymous with the gamergate controversy and she'll always have to deal with people spouting their half remembered bullshit about her to discredit and harass her. They won't forget and they haven't let up so she shouldn't stop writing about it. It's not only for or about her either. It helps so many other people in and out of the industry with their awareness.

Of course, I agree, but awareness now, while they are in the full force, you'll have to know what's coming to you. The reality is that she will never get any job from the industry ever again. It just how it is with any industry when you've been defamed. Awareness is good, but maybe she should try some other industry at this point, that's all I am saying.She can write a book in 10 years from now, when the industry has actually some time to change and have that awareness. You don't cure it in matter of a lifetime.

I don't care about this woman as she is a moron like sarkeesian. I don't care about the minute scale of misogyny they seem to think is going to throw the planet off it's axis. I also don't care about crappy reviewers because i don't even bother with them anymore.

The people harassing her do need to understand that she will change nothing as the industry doesn't care about her sob story and the cool thing is that isn't even a problem. I feel no need to send hateful messages to this woman because she isn't going to ruin my hobby with her BS, mobile gaming is. :D

People would forget all about harassing her if she just shut up for, like, five years. That would totally do it. Maybe. Definitely a reasonable request.

Are you kidding me?

I guarantee she hasn't forgotten about it.

Your solution is for quit game development for five years? And that it's her own fault people are harassing her because she has the gall to publicly say it's been destroying her life?

What do you want her to do for those five years, professor? Lock herself in a sanatorium?

Tapejara

The general industry's deafening silence on GG has said a lot about it's overall morals and values, especially when they had a shot at quickly putting it down if they had condemned it in unison and specifically (as opposed to the vague "we are against harassment" stuff that makes up most of the public statements there are).

The industry's response to this has been disheartening, to say the least. The words of the big studios, creators and publishers carry the most weight, yet no one wants to say anything. Quinn's right; this industry needs to be more supportive of marginalized creators. I would hope that these past few months would have been a wake-up call for publishers/studios, but their silence suggests otherwise.

I think that's simply because all the big companies in the industry just sorta....don't care because in all honesty it doesn't effect them.

I mean to them in their ivory towers it is just another internet blow up in a long line of internet blow ups that quite honestly has nothing to do with them. Sure they'll say their typical PR line of "We are against harassment." but outside of that they probably see no real reason to throw themselves into the fight. I'm not seeing this is right or wrong, just possibly how they see it.

IcyStorm

Of course, I agree, but awareness now, while they are in the full force, you'll have to know what's coming to you. The reality is that she will never get any job from the industry ever again. It just how it is with any industry when you've been defamed. Awareness is good, but maybe she should try some other industry at this point, that's all I am saying.She can write a book in 10 years from now, when the industry has actually some time to change and have that awareness. You don't cure it in matter of a lifetime.

You're basically saying she should leave games, what she wants to continue doing, because of other people harassing her. No, she shouldn't have to. Why the hell should she? That's their victory. That's them successfully controlling her life.

I don't care about this woman as she is a moron like sarkeesian. I don't care about the minute scale of misogyny they seem to think is going to throw the planet off it's axis. I also don't care about crappy reviewers because i don't even bother with them anymore.

The people harassing her do need to understand that she will change nothing as the industry doesn't care about her sob story and the cool thing is that isn't even a problem. I feel no need to send hateful messages to this woman because she isn't going to ruin my hobby with her BS, mobile gaming is. :D

Are you serious right now?

How is she a moron? How is this a 'sob story'? How can you say what is and isn't minute if you don't even experience it?

You sound like a well-informed and leveled individual. And by well-informed I mean ignorant and leveled I mean off-base. The good news is Zoe and people like her ARE driving change. Not as fast as it should be, but it's coming.

raphier

Banned
People would forget all about harassing her if she just shut up for, like, five years. That would totally do it. Maybe. Definitely a reasonable request.

Are you kidding me?

I guarantee she hasn't forgotten about it.

Your solution is for quit game development for five years? And that it's her own fault people are harassing her because she has the gall to publicly say it's been destroying her life?

What do you want her to do for those five years, professor? Lock herself in a sanatorium?
It's not her fault. But it's something that happened and it's not something she can fix by speaking out as clearly it doesn't today. But let's say 5-10 years? I think the industry will be far more receptive then.

You're basically saying she should leave games, what she wants to continue doing, because of other people harassing her. No, she shouldn't have to. Why the hell should she? That's their victory. That's them successfully controlling her life.

Are you serious right now?

scandals tend to ruin lives. Any scandals, even family matters can leave you homeless. And she can try working somewhere else, like you know, starbucks, editorial of fashion magazine, wildlife or some less sexist place. Whatever, it's her choice. It's just that this page has been closed on her as it has closed on million of other scandals before her. And they all have same pattern.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

The biggest threat to this hobby is people like you. Congratulations on being part of the problem.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

registered 2012. 27 posts.

it's probably a good thing you don't post more. You won't be missed.

Oersted

It's shameful.

Intel deserves some probs. Otherwise... yeah. Its sad.

Thats so hard for me to wrap my head around.

As an adult its just insane to think there are other adults who would do this. Like people with jobs, maybe even family and kids. What is wrong with them?

Like, lets pretend that even the worst of what is said is true. Still, who gives a shit? You are a fucking grown up harassing someone over videogames.

I cant understand sexually frustrated insecure teenagers. But adults? Jesus.

The KKK and other harassment groups are all adults. The more you think about it, the less weird it gets; which is sickening.

These are people, who other than when you see them being outwardly awful, might appear to be normal folks.

It's not her fault. But it's something that happened and it's not something she can fix by speaking out as clearly it doesn't today. But let's say 5-10 years? I think the industry will be far more receptive then.

I mean without people like her speaking out against it, will it really be more receptive or will it just be the same?

IcyStorm

Why do you think the industry will be more receptive in 5-10 years? If it doesn't care now, why do you think it'll care later? If there's nothing to push towards that change, why would the industry react differently?

I smell account suicide.

You sound like a well-informed and leveled individual. And by well-informed I mean ignorant and leveled I mean off-base. The good news is Zoe and people like her ARE driving change. Not as fast as it should be, but it's coming.

So what is going to change exactly? I will pick up a game i like the look of and play it, that won't change no matter what happens internally industry wise in regards to this poor woman's plight.

IcyStorm

So what is going to change exactly? I will pick up a game i like the look of and play it, that won't change no matter what happens internally industry wise in regards to this poor woman's plight.

Not everything is about you and not just about people who purchase games.

Honestly, if the only solution to all this is to go away for five years to A DECADE and wait for this industry to forget what hate mobs did to you? Shut it down. No one needs video games that badly. Shut down the industry.

Top Bottom