• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombi - Pure Survival Horror is coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC [ZombiU Port]

Pimpbaa

So here's a comparison by Eurogamer between the PS4 version and Wii U version:
Zombi vs ZombiU

Textures are clearly improved in that comparison even though it's a youtube video. Can't trust reviews these days, I've read 2 reviews of this game so far that basically said the textures weren't improved.

edit: That dirty filter look on the original Wii U version made no sense. It's a first person perspective game and you are not wearing any helmet with a visor or something. What is it, dirt on your eyeballs? I mean it's there at the beginning cutscene when a camera is viewing your character which makes sense but it's good that they removed it when it shifted to your character's perspective.

antonz

Textures are clearly improved in that comparison even though it's a youtube video. Can't trust reviews these days, I've read 2 reviews of this game so far that basically said the textures weren't improved.

edit: That dirty filter look on the original Wii U version made no sense. It's a first person perspective game and you are not wearing any helmet with a visor or something. What is it, dirt on your eyeballs? I mean it's there at the beginning cutscene when a camera is viewing your character which makes sense but it's good that they removed it when it shifted to your character's perspective.

They changed some overly low res textures here and there like the warning sign on the door but other than that there really is not much improvement and in some places like John Doe stuck in the window grating the Wii U actually has higher res textures on the clothing.

Its not terrible but it definitely shows that just getting it done and cheap was Ubisofts priority.

scitek

I see you guys are making fun of the "True Vision©" of the original game. Wow. I would have also liked a good PC port. However, too many things are missing or altered. I completed the original more then 5 times and for me to dip back it should be an improved experience. This is clearly not the case.
You're just looking silly now. 60, and especially 120fps is a massive improvement to the experience overall.

scitek

If you have a Wii U the original is still the best version to play. This is just a bad port, too many things were taken out.

Oprah%20shaking%20her%20head.gif

If you have a Wii U the original is still the best version to play. This is just a bad port, too many things were taken out.

Higher resolution and frame rate trumps all of that stuff, for me. Besides, when I played the Wii U version I didn't think any of that stuff brought much to the game. It's certainly nothing that will be missed on my end.

Pimpbaa

They changed some overly low res textures here and there like the warning sign on the door but other than that there really is not much improvement and in some places like John Doe stuck in the window grating the Wii U actually has higher res textures on the clothing.

Almost every surface they got close to in the video showed an improvement. The textures on that one zombie was the only time that the reverse was true.

- Not able to loot dead Friends.
- Not able to leave messages to Friends.
- Unable to see your own shadow (lol).
- Unable to be truly immersed (no Gamepad, way too much brightness)
- Terrible UI
- Missing visual effects (Texture Filtering, Filters, shadows and detail on various objects and Zombis.

You sure about that Oprah?

Higher resolution and frame rate trumps all of that stuff, for me. Besides, when I played the Wii U version I didn't think any of that stuff brought much to the game. It's certainly nothing that will be missed on my end.

Did you see that Comparison video? You acting like the higher resolution and frame rate is light years ahead of something. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keOOGWmooPc&feature=youtu.be

Seriously dude the difference is laughable.

That dirty filter look on the original Wii U version made no sense. It's a first person perspective game and you are not wearing any helmet with a visor or something. What is it, dirt on your eyeballs? I mean it's there at the beginning cutscene when a camera is viewing your character which makes sense but it's good that they removed it when it shifted to your character's perspective.

---

It's pretty odd they gutted the lens filters. I mean, if that's not your thing, I can dig it. But ZombiU is one of the very, very few games where I was cool with the lens filters and chromatic aberration. Aesthetically it's going for a grungy, dirty, low res, British indy handy cam footage look and thought it accomplished it really well. Like all the crap filtering/post processing and shit on the screen came together for a distinctive look. Despite hating that shit in most games, it looks missing here.

SURGEdude

This thread is a gold mine for sour grapes phenomenon (whether that be with regards to the gamepad, superior graphical fidelity of the PC, or the multiplayer) and cognitive dissonance.

I wonder if you could even just take this thread and the original ZombiU thread, and effectively do a case study on this.

Man you said it brother.

My takeaway having played a bit of the PS4 version and beaten the Wii U is that all the changes so far kinda boil down to taste in effects with the exception of the oversized map and the really shitty removal of multiplayer. Of course as a trade-off you get higher res and usually better but sometimes but worse fps.

Sounds like the PC with modding might be able to restore the divisive effects and perhaps shrink the map leaving the tradeoff being performance and resolution vs the game-altering multiplayer.

Based on my own preference that puts the PC and Wii U versions more or less even and the PS4 (and likely Bone) version a bit below. But of course others might not care about the imo beneficial multi or enjoy the effects on the Wii U which would mean they will prefer it on the other consoles.

Gonna have to try it on Steam at some point but until then I'll stick with the Wii and PS4 versions I already own.

Jackpot

Banned
- Terrible UI
- Missing visual effects (Texture Filtering, Filters, shadows and detail on various objects and Zombis.

Points 1 and 2 make no difference to me. 3 and 4 are just your opinions.

On the PC version, it is.

PC version having locked 60FPS is nice no doubt. Still missing alot of gameplay features though.

Points 1 and 2 make no difference to me. 3 and 4 are just your opinions.

Looting dead friends is awesome. Taking pics of your dead buddy and sending it to him in a message is a good time.
Leaving messages is a nice touch, even if you did use it.
That map on screen looks terrible and it clutters the screen.

shaki123

- Terrible UI

Did you see that Comparison video? You acting like the higher resolution and frame rate is light years ahead of something. lol

Brother. You really copied all of my text without even quoting me? That's stealing. However, you're pretty much right :).

heringer

- Terrible UI

"Unable to be truly immersed"

Now that's just silly.

And, as I said, an uncapped frame rate and higher resolutions trump those features because I don't feel they brought anything compelling to the game to begin with.

I think they did if you played the original.

EatChildren said:
It's pretty odd they gutted the lens filters. I mean, if that's not your thing, I can dig it. But ZombiU is one of the very, very few games where I was cool with the lens filters and chromatic aberration. Aesthetically it's going for a grungy, dirty, low res, British indy handy cam footage look and thought it accomplished it really well. Like all the crap filtering/post processing and shit on the screen came together for a distinctive look. Despite hating that shit in most games, it looks missing here.

I completely agree.

McLovin

Any chance that some of the missing stuff might be put into an update or something? I mean why not make an iphone/android companion app for it? This would have been a great morpheus game. Since you would actually have to look in your bag for stuff.

Mael

No messages and no looting other people's zombies are really the big downers here, it's kinda like if they ported Demon's Souls removed all the online and marginally improved some textures, disabled some effects and called it a day.
That it's getting released for a price higher than the original version is selling is rather hilarious too.
The fact that people claim that the increase brightness is a good thing is all kinds of baffling too.

I did play the original and having to use that GamePad was ultimately what made me set it aside. It was nothing but a nuisance for me.

Well thats a different conversation. You didnt even experience those gameplay features cause the gamepad was such a burden. Well now you got your perfect version.

Cant believe some of the shit that being said in this thread.

Would love to hear some impressions from first time players. Not nintendo fans cry why people shouldn't buy this port because its not the true experience.

Hope everyone enjoys the game as much as I did.

knerl

You're talking about which version?
I have the original and now the PC-version and I disagree with you.
After an hour or so while using a higher FOV the mini-map kind of "disappears". You stop noticing it. So the immersion is pretty much on par with the original. Only time it feels off is when you're looking in your inventory. The gamepad left you able to observe more space around your character. The prepper pad scanning feels out of place since you don't have much to work with while using it. Controls are more responsive while using a gamepad and it works wonderfully with m/k. 1:1 movement in that scenario. No acceleration being used. Not by default in any case.

Technically it's so much better. 4k res. 60, 120, 144fps. Superior texture filtering if you force 16x anisotropic filtering through your drivers. Only thing missing is the smudge filter. Shadows, textures, details etc. look the same and/or better than in the original. Load times on a ssd at least take 5 seconds tops. People using the brightness as an argument for it being an inferior version baffles me. It can be adjusted to look exactly the same. Follow the brightness guide issued in-game. You can also switch the help text while using a gamepad from xbox button prompts to playstation symbols.

I'd say this version is a much better one in most regards. The original in others.
They both have pros and cons. PC-version however is great and definitely worth €20.
It could have been better, but still a good port. The things that are missing isn't what made the original great. They might have added to the experience, but they weren't it as such.

You're talking about which version?
I have the original and now the PC-version and I disagree with you.
After an hour or so while using a higher FOV the mini-map kind of "disappears". You stop noticing it. So the immersion is pretty much on par with the original. Only time it feels off is when you're looking in your inventory. The gamepad left you able to observe more space around your character. The prepper pad scanning feels out of place since you don't have much to work with while using it. Controls are more responsive while using a gamepad and it works wonderfully with m/k. 1:1 movement in that scenario. No acceleration being used. Not by default in any case.

Technically it's so much better. 4k res. 60, 120, 144fps. Superior texture filtering if you force 16x anisotropic filtering through your drivers. Only thing missing is the smudge filter. Shadows, textures, details etc. look the same and/or better than in the original. Load times on a ssd at least take 5 seconds tops. People using the brightness as an argument for it being an inferior version baffles me. It can be adjusted to look exactly the same. Follow the brightness guide issued in-game. You can also switch the help text while using a gamepad from xbox button prompts to playstation symbols.

I'd say this version is a much better one in most regards. The original in others.
They both have pros and cons. PC-version however is great and definitely worth €20.
It could have been better, but still a good port. The things that are missing isn't what made the original great. They might have added to the experience, but they weren't it as such.

Im talking about gameplay features that were taken out. Also the lens filter is gone in this version. It just takes away from the atmosphere. You can add more resolution and framerate but it still doesnt change what it originally is. Some might prefer the no lens filter but to each their own.

I do agree if you going to by a version that isnt the Wii U version, PC version is the way to go. PS4/XB1 versions are just bad ports.

Texture filtering is clearly better on the PS4 version.

Not by much but I was referring to the lens filter which is completely missing on the PS4 version.

Im talking about gameplay features that were taken out. Also the lens filter is gone in this version. It just takes away from the atmosphere. You can add more resolution and framerate but it still doesnt change what it originally is. Some might prefer the no lens filter but to each their own.

Not by much but I was referring to the lens filter which is completely missing on the PS4 version.
None of that matters.

ggg.png
[/url]

Hi-res textures make it worth it.

I think that might be a texture loading bug there, ZombiU can be slow at loading new textures on Wii U. I might play the opening section of game and see what happens. Though I do remember some low-res signboard textures in Shadwell station, so I could be talking nonsense.

I'm glad the texture resolution has been increased, as I don't think some of the game's textures would hold up very well at 1080p.

Reebot

I will confirm it once more.

- Terrible UI

L O L
O
L

Jito

Banned
Why's there so much salt in this thread? Can't deal with people playing it on different platforms with some online features removed and missing a crappy lens filter.

Ben-Affleck-Oh-Brother-Gif-In-Dogma.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Hey, fellow Wii U owners, let the people enjoy the game. Whoever wanted to play it on Wii U bought it by now, it was practically free or something at some point. It's not the same game, but with the help of this port maybe it will get a sequel. Whoever doesn't have a Wii U doesn't care about the quality of the original anyhow.

Why's there so much salt in this thread? Can't deal with people playing it on different platforms with some online features removed and missing a crappy lens filter. ]

Downplaying the differences is part of the same shitty salt throwing, just on the other side. Enjoy the game.

Moofers

Holy shit there are some people in here that gotta learn to let go.

The game is great. New people get to play it. Let's all be cool and enjoy that.

I'll stream later and post a link. PS4 for anyone who wants to see.

Dicer

Banned
Why's there so much salt in this thread? Can't deal with people playing it on different platforms with some online features removed and missing a crappy lens filter.

The Wii u won one, and ppl are upset...it's not all fanboyism. It brought something new when it first came out, and now all that's been stripped out.

I'm glad more people get to try it but frankly the new port is a shell of the original

I think that might be a texture loading bug there, ZombiU can be slow at loading new textures on Wii U. I might play the opening section of game and see what happens. Though I do remember some low-res signboard textures in Shadwell station, so I could be talking nonsense.

I'm glad the texture resolution has been increased, as I don't think some of the game's textures would hold up very well at 1080p.

You are correct, Im playing the game now and just took this screen shot.

WiiU_screenshot_TV_010DD.jpg

Jackpot

Banned

I know I play Dark Souls for the graffiti other players leave for me to read!

Jito

Banned
The Wii u won one, and ppl are upset...it's not all fanboyism. It brought something new when it first came out, and now all that's been stripped out.

I'm glad more people get to try it but frankly the new port is a shell of the original

The only thing that's been stripped out though is the tablet gameplay which is impossible to do on other consoles. It still works in the same way but on one screen instead now, how is that such a major step-back? I've got the Wii U version and it was a novel idea, not that ground breaking though.

Everything else is just superficial online elements like sending messages and seeing dead friends. It's not worth all this salt and shitting up a thread.

Dicer

Banned
The only thing that's been stripped out though is the tablet gameplay which is impossible to do on other consoles. It still works in the same way but on one screen instead now, how is that such a major step-back? I've got the Wii U version and it was a novel idea, not that ground breaking though.

Everything else is just superficial online elements like sending messages and seeing dead friends. It's not worth all this salt and shitting up a thread.
gamepad added the multiplayer which was fantastic in its own right...

jmizzal

Well the same thing happens in any port thread, WiiU game port has things taken out that some think is not a big deal and people go LOL terrible port, so it goes both ways

Top Bottom