• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2k18 on Switch is "identical" to PS4 (in game modes, not visuals)

ViciousDS

Banned
heres the real question

how does VC work on the switch due to its portable structure? Would be fucking awesome if this is the only version that doesn't require an internet connection to enjoy, if so

its actually the best of the 4 versions in the PS4, X1, and PC

RootCause

heres the real question

how does VC work on the switch due to its portable structure? Would be fucking awesome if this is the only version that doesn't require an internet connection to enjoy, if so

Imagine if they hand out vc for amiibo. Finally, my smash set is going to get some use. 🤣

Effect

Well.. a FPS coming out next month is 30 FPS.
And plays pretty well at 30 FPS
. So, let's see how it feels.

This is going to be key. If the game feels fine and fluid it's not going to matter that much I think. 720P Docked and not say 900p to 1080p is another story. However if the graphics do look really good at 720p then will it really matter in the end on that front as well?

Docked footage is what we need and its need to be repeated.

ron_bato

heres the real question

I cant imagine it being too different from other nba 2ks (ie milking and diming).

I would argue that 2k's biggest incentive for making sure all modes make it in the game is not to offer a complete port, but to make sure that they make as much money from Virtual Currency as possible.

Plus, we already know that the preorder bonuses for the ps4 and x1 versions apply to the switch. So i dont see a fundamentally different structure to how the game was built for the switch vs the other versions.

Mortemis

Banned
30fps? ew

probably end up skipping this year then. I wish they'd give us a demo at least, but I guess they'd rather not

BigEmil

It will look closer to the PS3 version than PS4's, but just like with the FIFA topic, the important thing here is that we get to play a full scale basketball game on the go, and feature wise it would be identical even if it will look last gen, so who cares? having the latest tech is not what the Switch is about.
The 60fps is more important here for a sports game hoping it's not 30fps, also 720p in docked way too blurry I would only play it undocked instead but again only if it's 60fps

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I feel like we had this thread before ... with FIFA. We should get soon some docked footage and some better handheld one. And clear details.

Justified

I cant imagine it being too different from other nba 2ks (ie milking and diming).

I would argue that 2k's biggest incentive for making sure all modes make it in the game is not to offer a complete port, but to make sure that they make as much money from Virtual Currency as possible.

Plus, we already know that the preorder bonuses for the ps4 and x1 versions apply to the switch. So i dont see a fundamentally different structure to how the game was built for the switch vs the other versions.

I think he is refering to playing portable away from a WiFi connection.

When you play MyCareer it has to have an internet connection to keep your payout as VC, if you play without a internet connection it switches it to XP, and you cant go back.

More hyped for that than anything else this fall.

This is going to be key. If the game feels fine and fluid it's not going to matter that much I think. 720P Docked and not say 900p to 1080p is another story. However if the graphics do look really good at 720p then will it really matter in the end on that front as well?

Docked footage is what we need and its need to be repeated.

If you were going to play it docked by a different version.

Will look better at native res on the switches screen than half assed 1080 on a 4k tv anyways.

When you play MyCareer it has to have an internet connection to keep your payout as VC, if you play without a internet connection it switches it to XP, and you cant go back.
Public WiFi? phone as a hotspot?

I'll be playing a 2k game with my splatoon pro controller in tabletop mode while my wife watches the hallmark channel. Life is good.

Crazyorloco

heres the real question

My guess is that it'll work like the 2k17 on mobile devices work. It works offline just fine, just can't purchase Virtual Currency or save to cloud.

ron_bato

I know what he was referring to, i undeestand how 2k works with offline and online only saves.

Doesnt change my answer. 2k is not going to change how their vc system works.

EDarkness

Worse visuals is fine but not 60fps is a deal breaker. Not fucking around with 30fps in a sports game.

It is for me, too. No way I'm picking this up at 30fps. I'll take lower quality visuals in order to get 60fps. I'm kinda bummed because this was going to be my go-to sports game this year, but I'll be sticking with FIFA instead.

Steiner

Banned
It is for me, too. No way I'm picking this up at 30fps. I'll take lower quality visuals in order to get 60fps. I'm kinda bummed because this was going to be my go-to sports game this year, but I'll be sticking with FIFA instead.

Yeah I was gonna say, FIFA's looking pretty good right now.

Mariolee

Already planned on buying it, expecting the story mode not to be included. Good to see we're getting that too. I can live with 30 fps.

Doctre81

What's especially interesting is that all it took for third parties to take Nintendo seriously, was putting out a glorified tablet with a TV out. It's like they put effort into into Nintendo's mobile platforms like the DS, but didn't even bother with the Wii.

They are putting effort because of how easy it is to port their games and how well it's selling.

That article is a opinion piece, and probably should wait for some analysis of the game in motion....the only thing it really said is its getting all the modes, 30fps, and doesnt look as good.... and for some reason it singled out the ps4 as if its the best version, when its identical to the x1 version.

conpfreak

Well, make a big enough fuss and they might patch in a 60fps mode. I promise you, the average person seeing this game running undocked will barely notice the difference because the animations are so smooth.

NBA 2k being 30fps on Switch is a HUGE disappointment! I believe this will greatly impact sales once comparison videos get out.
Lol, surely a joke post. If you haven't learned from all the previous generations of consoles, maybe you'll learn this time. FPS doesn't really have a noticeable impact on sales.

Hermii

At least in mobile mode, the low latency of the screen compared to most tvs will compensate a little for lower framerate.

guiJedi

Neo Member
There are people on this thread unironically making fun of the Switch for moving this game full featured. Have this people actually seen the console? Do they know it is portable? LMAO

EDarkness

I feel like we had this thread before ... with FIFA. We should get soon some docked footage and some better handheld one. And clear details.

With FIFA we didn't know and people were making guesses. We know the frame rate for this, and that won't change when it's docked. Unless someone isn't telling the truth and the game is 60fps when docked.....

Lol, surely a joke post. If you haven't learned from all the previous generations of consoles, maybe you'll learn this time. FPS doesn't really have a noticeable impact on sales.

It does on sports games! Sport games have different criteria to be judged by. If it plays great, then I'll eat my words and apologize. But typically 30 FPS sport games like Madden, NBA, etc are not good. Wii U Madden is a great example.

I'm just saying, looking like a NBA 2k14 version of an Xbone game is great, but if it can't run at 60 FPS, it should have been delayed, or lower the graphics down and have it run a silky smooth 60 FPS.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
30 fps on Switch would be a bummer but we still have no confirmation on whether or not the other versions will be portable so my buying decision is still up in the air for now...

Schnozberry

It does on sports games! Sport games have different criteria to be judged by. If it plays great, then I'll eat my words and apologize. But typically 30 FPS sport games like Madden, NBA, etc are not good. Wii U Madden is a great example.

Wii U Madden was 60fps with frame drops. In an ideal world, 60fps would be the standard but 2K would rather deliver a better looking game. As long as the animation is good and the framerate is stable, it likely doesn't hamper gameplay that much. We're not talking about a twitch shooter.

I'm just saying, looking like a NBA 2k14 version of an Xbone game is great, but if it can't run at 60 FPS, it should have been delayed, or lower the graphics down and have it run a silky smooth 60 FPS.
Sorry but I'd like to see your statistics for that claim. The console market has shown time and time again that it doesn't reward 60fps else we'd see more 60 fps games than 30fps games. As we all know, that is not the case.

J@hranimo

Banned

I think you're forgetting this is neogaf.com, full of the minority of gamers who care about this.

The masses don't give af about this. As long as they market it right it should do fine.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Good news.

Nintendo using more standardized hardware is already having good pay offs with 3rd parties big and small. Haven't bought a NBA2k titles since 14 can't wait to have this one and for something mobile based.

Top Bottom