• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2k18 on Switch is "identical" to PS4 (in game modes, not visuals)

Shouldn't be news, switch plays in the same league as ps4/xbox. It's not a wiiu situation.

Hush!! Or whisper it quietly... ;).
The Know-Nothings on here, EuroGamer/DF and Chipworks still believe that it's powered by a Tegra X1 chip, based on a bunch of fancy die shots and fast conclusions that mean fuck all, and they've even redefined what "custom" means to fit their false narrative, although Nintendo, Nvidia and third party developers have said otherwise, and they talk about "significant downgrades", but never provide receipts, because they know there's plenty of information that would disprove their BS.

There are no reasons why yearly multiplatform franchises should not be on the Switch when it is on its way to having a great install base. Good on ya, 2K. Hope it sells well.

A few more guys mentioning 30 fps for the switch version (nothing confirmed yet). Also says in his tweets that its 720p on docked mode.

https://twitter.com/drevoigt/status/903311016037142529

https://twitter.com/TremoniaRules/status/903311607270440963

https://twitter.com/The_Katbot/status/903318992483385344

swtn.gif

That sounds...not great

I would bet it really does look good on the smaller screen because the closest we've seen of a full NBA title on handheld are the mobile ports and this game looks better and has more depth. I'm more impressed with the footage I've seen of FIFA than the early snippets of this game though. I guess we'll all find out when they have their event in a few hours.

Gurish

It will look closer to the PS3 version than PS4's, but just like with the FIFA topic, the important thing here is that we get to play a full scale basketball game on the go, and feature wise it would be identical even if it will look last gen, so who cares? having the latest tech is not what the Switch is about.

CrisKre

This is the version im getting. 30fps is really not a deal breaker.

Split joycons and portability are a godsend for this type of games. Can´t wait!

PedroRVD

Now it is more hilarious that NBA Playgrounds's developers couldn't even do shadows and clothes movement on a 2-2 cartoon basketball game on Switch.

The Know-Nothings on here, EuroGamer/DF and Chipworks still believe that it's powered by a Tegra X1 chip, based on a bunch of fancy die shots and fast conclusions that mean fuck all, and they've even redefined what "custom" means to fit their false narrative, although Nintendo, Nvidia and third party developers have said otherwise, and they talk about "significant downgrades", but never provide receipts, because they know there's plenty of information that would disprove their BS.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or what

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Gameplay footage (off cam): https://twitter.com/yohanroblin/status/903325543407509505

Thi is actually looking a lot like the ps4 version, animation and gameplay wise. If people can deal with 30 fps (if true) vs 60 fps, i think a lot of switch owners will be happy.

Im no pro.....but this looks indeed quite nice, especially for a year 1 release. They probably were on a tight schedule to finish the Switch version considering its missing a physical retail release.

Groundwork seems to be solid...lets see what they can improve with updates and future iterations.

MCN

Banned
What's especially interesting is that all it took for third parties to take Nintendo seriously, was putting out a glorified tablet with a TV out. It's like they put effort into into Nintendo's mobile platforms like the DS, but didn't even bother with the Wii.

I think it helps that Switch actually has decent dev tools and a modern architecture to work with, making developers' jobs that much easier.

Schnozberry

Gameplay footage (off cam): https://twitter.com/yohanroblin/status/903325543407509505

Thi is actually looking a lot like the ps4 version, animation and gameplay wise. If people can deal with 30 fps (if true) vs 60 fps, i think a lot of switch owners will be happy.

30fps will be an adjustment, but it won't ruin the game for most. Especially for high quality portable basketball. I'd personally rather have a stable 30fps than an erratic 60fps game with even more IQ compromises.

Was always going to get this game on PS4 but honestly not sure about the switch version, don't know how much I would really play it if it's lacking in FPS. I have this fantasy of watching NBA playing 2k on my Switch tho.

Also who plays 2k not in the 2k camera mode

Effect

Remember there are differences in undocked and docked. That footage off cam looks fine from the angle we're seeing it in. Docked is the real test here and what the frame rate is. If it's 30fps undocked then I'm not going to freak out.

There have to be some compromises compared to the PS4/X1. I'd prefer most games keep the framerate and cut elsewhere, but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

I'd honestly prefer lower poly models and less visual effects at 60 fps than 30.

When you have a series that AFAIK has always been 60 fps, it should be a priority to keep it at that level IMO.

Effect

Hmm....

I need to see how it looks Docked. I took a pass on NBA Playgrounds. Was a good call it seems. I don't want to play this on my PC. I want to sit in my chair and play this on TV or undocked. I need to see how this looks first in the end. 30fps if it's locked won't be the end of the world. It's not like there are other options for me and I want to play this. Hmm.

ViciousDS

Banned
wow.....thats actually really fucking good, story is even in there in full

Holy Shit, I might buy this then for the switch

2K really know how to make a really good engine for their sports games......

WWE on the other hand....I have no idea what the fuck goes on there

RootCause

I'd honestly prefer lower poly models and less visual effects at 60 fps than 30.

When you have a series that AFAIK has always been 60 fps, it should be a priority to keep it at that level IMO.
I remember last gen 2k bb having framerate hiccups. Maybe it was a ps3 thing only. Personally, I'd take the new engine at 30fps, over last gen at 60fps.

docyoe

what the.....

Top Bottom