• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2k18 on Switch is "identical" to PS4 (in game modes, not visuals)

EDarkness

I would expect as much. Its a much weaker console. There's not going to be visual and performance parity at all.

I don't care about visual parity, I think they should have worked to make sure the game ran at 60fps (as it always has) instead of keeping the graphics at the same level. Losing some clothing physics or something would have been fine, I think.

At 30 fps, I expect the court and active player models to look pretty similar to the PS4 overall. Crowds were always going to take a massive hit.

Sonic Forces looks shockingly close to the PS4 version just at half the framerate, so I hope that's the case here. I prefer higher framerates, but it's really just up to the dev team's priorities.

Would be nice if they were able to give us a choice ala FE:W (though it's nothing short of a miracle we're getting that option there on a console).

The screenshot making the rounds looks pretty bad, but impressions are positive so maybe it's just an unflattering crop.

SlickVic

This is actually pretty cool since I don't think we've gotten a sim basketball game on a portable since the PSP days? I thought the Vita got one, but googling it shows 2K13 as the last PSP 2K game and doesn't look like that came to the Vita. So to get a full featured version on the Switch to take on the go is sweet. Not sure it's for me as my time playing games while traveling has gone down significantly over the years and if I'm primarily playing this at home, I'd probably opt for PS4 or PC, but I like that the option is out there.

Some people here act as if 30 FPS has been confirmed? But it seems it only brought up by one guy as a possibility.

Fifa is 60 FPS, and reviewers praised it already. NBA2k18 is surely 60 FPS too.

RAWRferal

If they've made the (IMO wrong) decision to run this at 30fps, it should look pretty much identical to the other versions on more powerful consoles in terms of IQ and or physics/detail/shaders/textures etc.

Otherwise the trade-off simply isn't worth it and it really shows how poor the scalability of this engine is.

EA clearly made the right choice with FIFA. More and more people are becoming aware of how higher framerates can have a positive effect on gameplay and are willing to accept compromises to hit that silky smooth 60fps. This is disappointing and I initially had high hopes.

EDIT: Just read this might not be confirmed as 30fps, good news if it isn't, my point however is still kind of applicable to many different scenarios.... lol.

If they've made the (IMO wrong) decision to run this at 30fps, it should look pretty much identical to the other versions on more powerful consoles in terms of IQ and or physics/detail/shaders/textures etc.

Otherwise the trade-off simply isn't worth it and it really shows how poor the scalability of this engine is.

EA clearly made the right choice with FIFA. More and more people are becoming aware of how higher framerates can have a positive effect on gameplay and are willing to accept compromises to hit that silky smooth 60fps. This is disappointing and I initially had high hopes.

EDIT: Just read this might not be confirmed as 30fps, good news if it isn't, my point however is still kind of applicable to many different scenarios.... lol.

If NBA does run at 30 fps, and EA ALREADY stated that NBA live will strongly be considered for Switch next year. It would be a very interesting opportunity for NBA Live.

Not for nothing, I think a lot also depends on is PSP 3 is real.. If PSP3 is real, I think they could make the argument that it would only help Switch get more 3rd party ports.

If NBA does run at 30 fps, and EA ALREADY stated that NBA live will strongly be considered for Switch next year. It would be a very interesting opportunity for NBA Live.

Not for nothing, I think a lot also depends on is PSP 3 is real.. If PSP3 is real, I think they could make the argument that it would only help Switch get more 3rd party ports.

Where are you getting the idea there is going to be a PSP3?

RAWRferal

Don't get your hopes up buddy.

We have absolutely no info about resolution and framerate, besides a random guy on the internet and an article that confirms feature parity between all versions. It is probably is 60 FPS.

We haven't had any confirmation of resolution, but 30fps is pretty much confirmed. Most people can easily tell the difference between 60fps and 30fps, and I'm guessing with the PS4 version running nearby the difference was even more jarring. I doubt the docked resolution is 720p.

I can't tell if this is a joke post or if you've actually completely lost your mind

I can't tell if this is a joke post or if you've actually completely lost your mind

If PSP3 is real I believe it will ultimately allow Switch to get more 3rd party games. Even if psp3 is more powerful than switch, it will not be as powerful as ps4. Therefore, if both handheld existed, 3rd party developers may be more inclined to put their games on the handheld without fear of losing money on the games.

LordKano

If PSP3 is real I believe it will ultimately allow Switch to get more 3rd party games. Even if psp3 is more powerful than switch, it will not be as powerful as ps4. Therefore, if both handheld existed, 3rd party developers may be more inclined to put their games on the handheld without fear of losing money on the games.

There's no PSP3.

Top Bottom