• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Wii U at E3 by Retro? [Rumour]

http://techtroid.co.uk/starfox-wii-u-at-e3-2012-10079

Murder if disrespected source

An inside source close to the folks here at Techtroid has suggested we may be seeing a Star Fox reveal at E3 this year, along with the already announced Pikmin and Mario games.

The new title is believed to be developed by Retro Studios, who we know for a fact are working on a Wii U game.

Retro has previously said: “It’s a project everyone wants us to do.”

The source added that the game will be shown off, but will not be a launch game for the Wii U system.

Do you believe?
Are you really excited?
Do you trust Retro to make a good Star Fox game after Metroid Prime and DKC R?
Is Star Fox relevant?
Has there been a good Star Fox game since Star Fox 64?

IIRC, the "project everyone wants us to do" was nonsense.

Can we PLEASE have a thread here at GAF for debunking stuff that gets thrown around like this? Like a GAF Snopes?

Empty

oh it's nintendo e3 "rumours" from unknown websites with terrible site design time of the year again

besides we all know treasure are secretly making starfox wii u :)

Jackano

They definitely can handle it as well as they have done with Metroid and Donkey Kong.
But I'm waiting for more than just a Starfox game for the launch window from Retro and Nintendo.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I can't wait for the day that Wii U threads will stop being rumors.

Four more weeks...

Desiato

Do people really want another Star Fox that bad? I'm sure Retro Studios will do a splendid job as always, but I'd rather have them do another Metroid, Zelda or something completely new.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I find this very unlikely. My bet is on an original IP first person game of some type.

Floex

It's about time Nintendo started bringing back franchises I actually care about. This could sell the Wii U to me :D

That's Retro's forte... is bringing old classics in to a modern world. It makes more sense than Retro Zelda. (Though Retro could be making a 3DS Zelda or helping with a Zelda project.)

NeonZ

Personally, I think it'd be a waste if this is supposed to be some big title.

Either it won't be on rails, and then why bother using the Star Fox brand (really, antropomorphic animals theese days likely only will get in the way of the sales) or, even if it's mostly on rails and finally a better title than Star Fox 64, it'll likely be too short/traditional and really doesn't seem like the type of content that could make me want a new console. It's a lose/lose situation.

volpone

Banned
Star Fox is an odd series. In general it isn't anything that special barring Lylat Wars (which is a remake of the original). It has a wierd furry fanbase second only to Sonic. It's given us plenty of horrible characters (Slippy, Tricky, Krystal). It doesn't even sell that well.

Do people honestly believe Nintendo would put Retro to work on it? Even if they could make a good game, furry animals in space 6 seems like a hard sell to me.

Star Fox is an odd series. In general it isn't anything that special barring Lylat Wars (which is a remake of the original). It has a wierd furry fanbase second only to Sonic. It's given us plenty of horrible characters (Slippy, Tricky, Krystal). It doesn't even sell that well.

Do people honestly believe Nintendo would put Retro to work on it? Even if they could make a good game, furry animals in space 6 seems like a hard sell to me.

Yeah, I don't see the fascination with the series. And after Sin & Punishment 2 and Kid Icarus I see even less need for such a game, just because there was like one good entry in this series 15 years ago.
If anything, it should be outsourced to Treasure, Platinum, etc.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Even if it is true, I wouldn't get excited until they confirm full support for Wiimote based control schemes. Rail shooters with controls inferior to S&P2 should not be tolerated anymore. Please. God, even if it's great in its own ways, I hate the Upad is what they came up with instead of a true evolution of the Wii Remote Plus with better button placement and tracking in addition to a camera. It's such a major step back in so many ways, while offering very little, if anything, that the 3DS couldn't already on some level.

I guess I could do with a twin stick based scheme if it's not actually a rail shooter though, for pitch, yaw, roll etc controls on top of whatever touch functions used in order to maybe have RTS and other such elements built in the game. Just don't try to have a lengthy story, guys, nobody wants to see a space opera starring furries, focus on the gameplay.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
When Retro said it was a game people were asking them to do I figured it was a new Metroid. Who was asking them to do Starfox?

Whatever the case I'll be happy if this proves true. Retro is the best developer Nintendo has, I have total faith in them to create the best Starfox game yet.

SomeDude

Banned
starfox and f-zero not good enough for retro studios.

why not have them do a sequel to dkcr or a 2d side scrolling metroid?

or even let them have their own take on zelda.

Mafro

When Retro said it was a game people were asking them to do I figured it was a new Metroid. Who was asking them to do Starfox?
Yep the obvious answer is clearly Metroid. How anyone could think that over Starfox I don't know.

The Wii U tablet controller and a new Metroid Prime game are a match made in heaven.

Risgroo

I love Starfox, but I don't think it's what Retro should be working on if nintendo wants to attract the core gamer.

Floex

Would people be opposed if it wasn't on rails? I'm thinking more in terms of Rouge Squadron. Big sprawling space battles (man I want another Rogue Squadron game :( ) With bonus levels being a throwback to the SNES game

You could use the touch pad to send squad members to different areas of the map. Like, you would be commander Dog (I forget his name). Different tactics would mean each fight, the enemy would have different approach each time you play.

starfox and f-zero not good enough for retro studios.

why not have them do a sequel to dkcr or a 2d side scrolling metroid?

or even let them have their own take on zelda.

I don't see why people want Retro to do Zelda. I don't really count them as an "A" team for Nintendo considering the franchises they've worked on. Star Fox or F Zero seem like reasonable franchises that would fit their stature.

Yeah, I don't see the fascination with the series. And after Sin & Punishment 2 and Kid Icarus I see even less need for such a game, just because there was like one good entry in this series 15 years ago.
If anything, it should be outsourced to Treasure, Platinum, etc.

I agree. At this point I'd rather we just get another Sin and Punishment.

Floex

I don't see why people want Retro to do Zelda. I don't really count them as an "A" team for Nintendo considering the franchises they've worked on. Star Fox or F Zero seem like reasonable franchises that would fit their stature.

Metroid Prime was never an 'A' team game? What?

SomeDude

Banned

The last good starfox was starfox 64. I think EAD did pretty much did everything they could do with the franchise with that game.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Star Fox should be taken out back and shot. It's a terrible IP, there's only one truly great game in the franchise and a bunch of mediocre-to-bad ones, and in Sin & Punishment and Kid Icarus, Nintendo have two other franchises that do very similar things, but better.

Any amount of money or effort being put into a new Star Fox would be a waste.

Top Bottom