• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Wii U at E3 by Retro? [Rumour]

Why would i want typical human soldier/sci fi characters over this awesomeness?

starfoxHD.png

This with plenty of cheese, please!

I've been watching vids of Kid Icarus Uprising (cant wait to unwrap it later today :D), and we are in serious need of more high quality, funny, nonsensical videogame characters.

To be honest, while admitting I'm not the biggest fan of the series, Sta Fox's cast of characters is NOT its problem.

They're charming and memorable and it wouldn't be Star Fox without that goofy cast.

While I agree that Retro doing it would be a bit much, I would love a new, competent Starfox game. It seems all you guys want is Mario, Zelda and Metroid all the time.

Also, people honestly hate the cast? I think it's a great change of pace. I hope if they do it they make it super serious like the first Starfox. The high drama tone with the animals was a fantastic absurd mix.

1-D_FTW

Most likely false. Star Fox doesn't fit for the type of game Retro is supposedly working.

On the other hand, it could be turned into a Battlefield type game fairly easily. Obviously it would be fluffy and stylized, but that's not the worst thing in the world either.

FoneBone

I'd be very disappointed to see Retro working on anything other than an original IP (and yes, I'm prepared to be disappointed). But regardless, Star Fox strikes me as much too niche - I mean, a rail shooter?

Got any details to share?

On the other hand, it could be turned into a Battlefield type game fairly easily. Obviously it would be fluffy and stylized, but that's not the worst thing in the world either.

Retro's game is supposedly something that appeals to the "PS360 crowd". None of Nintendo's established 1st party IPs fit that.

Whats the game everyone wants them to make anyway?

Based on what I mentioned, I'd assume that meant a game that pushes the graphics on a Nintendo console.

Why can't Retro do every Nintendo game? After seeing what they did with Metroid and Donkey Kong I'd love for them to do Star Fox

MYE

If that quote is still valid, I can't think of anything that falls into that category unless it's a big exaggeration.

Metroid and Zelda are the only ones that come to mind.

Mario it is then!!!

My first and only thought when i saw that was "Zelda!"

But it cant be, right?

Metroid is a good guess too.

Mario? No way

I think Retro are the only ones at this point that can resurrect the franchise (Treasure apart but this won't happen).
I'd like a "classic" approach à la Starfox 64, but this would also be an occasion for a massive online shooter like Warhawk/Starhawk.
Only thing I know is that the WiiU controller is just perfect as a motion-controlled yoke with integrated control panel.

thefro

Yes, but a fluffy and stylized Battlefield game isn't going to help Nintendo make inroads into the Dudebro market.

I know some people would throw a fit if they just turned the characters into humans, but they'd get way more sales that way. Maybe you could unlock skins for the "classic" look for the characters and could use them in MP, but the main marketing would need to focus on the human Fox McCloud, etc.

1-D_FTW

Retro's game is supposedly something that appeals to the "PS360 crowd". None of Nintendo's established 1st party IPs fit that.

Well I can't see Nintendo making one of their high profile games feature bloody battles. So CoD/BF clones are pretty much off the table.

But StarFox does have a rich universe. It has air, land, and sea. It would have to be given a bit of an edge, but maybe this is the way Retro got Nintendo to greenlight an online war sandbox game. By making it non-realistic. I know that's what I've wanted from Retro ever since they formed.

My first and only thought when i saw that was "Zelda!"

But it cant be, right?

Metroid is a good guess too.

Mario? No way

Yeah, Mario was a joke thrown in at the end but they'd still do a competent job with a 3D platformer.

I wouldn't want the personality of Mario risking being altered though with a different team.

If it was up to me, I'd want them doing another Prime but a different take on the series(not a Prime 3 type deal) or a brand new action/adventure IP.

The only way I'd be excited about Star Fox was if they decided to take up where Rare left off with StarFox Adventures, i.e. a Zelda take using the StarFox IP.

Well I can't see Nintendo making one of their high profile games feature bloody battles. So CoD/BF clones are pretty much off the table.

But StarFox does have a rich universe. It has air, land, and sea. It would have to be given a bit of an edge, but maybe this is the way Retro got Nintendo to greenlight an online war sandbox game. By making it non-realistic. I know that's what I've wanted from Retro ever since they formed.

I'll give you the same over-dramatic response I gave to someone in the Wii U thread. Dudebros don't want to play a game with furries aimed at children.

I'll give you the same over-dramatic response I gave to someone in the Wii U thread. Dudebros don't want to play a game with furries aimed at children.

Duedbroz don't want to play any games released on Nintendo systems regardless of their content or quality, so why waste time pandering to them?

MYE

If RETRO is wasting time on a Crysis/Killzone/Halo type FPS, i'm gonna seriously loose my shit!

1-D_FTW

I think it's a horrible waste if that's what Retro got saddled with. I'm in the group that thinks the series needs a bullet to the head. I'm just trying to spin how it could be better than people think.

Making a CoD or BF clone is pointless. They already exist and you're not going to bring new players to the console by making also-rans (see numerous Sony exclusives that did nothing for the install base). Halo grunts are incredibly "childish" and cute. Didn't really harm Halo's appeal any. I think people need to be less literal with their expectations or they're going to be disappointed.

SykoTech

Well I really hope Retro isn't going too "dudebro" (if that makes any sense). Something along the lines of Metroid or Uncharted would be great, but CoD territory would be a turn off to me.

MisterHero

Potential Retro projects

StarFox (a sequel for an inactive series)
Ravenblade (my personal pick lol)
DKCR2 (a sequel to a game that came out a while ago)
Metroid Prime 4 (that's a lot of direct sequels, mang)
Shiek game (only if it's OoT Shiek and not some made-up nonsense)
F-Zero (a rumored game)
Cars and guns (cars and guns)
Geist (because n-Space isn't there?)

Like I said, I'd like to see Ravenblade, but I want to see StarFox even more!

Battalion Wars could, actually.
That's Kuju's work, let 'em have it. ;P

But yeah I'd want another one!

TriGen

Well I really hope Retro isn't going too "dudebro" (if that makes any sense). Something along the lines of Metroid or Uncharted would be great, but CoD territory would be a turn off to me.

I don't think they are going after CoD. I think they will try to make a game more in the, AC, or Uncharted, style. Mainstream appeal, but more adventure then a CoD FPS clone would offer.

They seem too interesting in game philosophy(read interviews) to go the Call of Duty been-there-done that route so it'd be a shooter but only in name.

I think it'd be ambitious in its approach, they have lofty standards and now people expect a ton from them.

MYE

A new Metroid Prime could appeal to that "crowd".

Just throw in impressive graphics and they will come. The fact they will then realize its not just a dumb broshooter is an added bonus.

Man, I didn't realize how much GAF hates on the Star Fox brand. I love those goofy characters... I think Retro making a modern 3D arcade shooter would be the bee's knees.
Well a few average entries with questionable plot points seemed to have led people to think the series is beyond being saved.
Starfox actually has great potential really, i'll even say that Assault had a good idea for the direction of the series with the ground sections being added, done correctly with a good balance of rail shooting and well done on foot antics, better script for the characters to shine with and solid multiplayer it could really take off, and yes I basically described Kid Icarus Uprising just then but the point still stands.
People seem to be startled mainly by the idea of a big rail shooter (considered a waste of time often, not a big enough genre I guess) and humanoid animal characters (oh no! playing this is too close to furry territory!)

Whats the game everyone wants them to make anyway?
I want DKCR2, if I don't get it I'll weep.

Everyone else seems to fling Zelda around, I assume these people think Nintendo themselves have lost it with that series and feel Retro has the magic touch that will make them love the series again or something along those lines.
That or demanding a new IP, specifically with western appeal.

To respond to the others, expect a new IP from Retro more so than a sequel to an existing Nintendo IP.

Duedbroz don't want to play any games released on Nintendo systems regardless of their content or quality, so why waste time pandering to them?

This is the most logical argument to make IMO. Will any efforts by Nintendo be worth it or wasted?

SykoTech

I don't think they are going after CoD. I think they will try to make a game more in the, AC, or Uncharted, style. Mainstream appeal, but more adventure then a CoD FPS clone would offer.

They seem too interesting in game philosophy(read interviews) to go the Call of Duty been-there-done that route so it'd be a shooter but only in name.

I think it'd be ambitious in its approach, they have lofty standards and now people expect a ton from them.

Yeah, I'm not too worried yet. All of Retro's games so far have felt inspiring at the very least, so I can't really see them making something too overdone. Here's hoping anyway.

MisterHero

This is the most logical argument to make IMO. Will any efforts by Nintendo be worth it or wasted?
Nintendo should make games they want to make. Directly competing with Modern Warfare, etc. would only screw with their relationships with the other developers.

Even if a game like Geist was perfectly executed, I wouldn't expect a lot of sales from it.

Busty

Banned
I hope this is a super gritty reboot of Starfox with a classic, hardcore sci-fi approach like a Saving Private Ryan in space.

If I was doing this the opening of the game would be set in a nightclub on a distant space station and we just see glimpses of sexy rabbits dancing on a podium, we move further in and we see a drunken figure weeping at the end of the bar.

As we get closer again we see it's Fox McCloud. He's an emotionally broken down older Fox traumatised by all the horrors he saw in the Lylat Wars.

He contemplates sticking his pistol in his mouth and pulling the trigger. But his space phone rings and it's Slippy Toad. He says " Even though you let my wife die when the mandrills attacked my planet I have one last mission for you."

Fox downs his white wine spritzer in one and says.... "Alright you son of a bitch..."

Would be awesome.

Woodland animals in Han Solo archetypes is pretty much the best thing ever (see also: Rocket Raccoon), so Nintendo can make Star Fox work again. Just take inspiration from Lylatwars, not anything that followed. It needs to be dumb, loud, full of cheesy dialogue and filled to the brim with scenes stolen from classic sci-fi.

MYE

I hope this is a super gritty reboot of Starfox with a classic, hardcore sci-fi approach like a Saving Private Ryan in space.

If I was doing this the opening of the game would be set in a nightclub on a distant space station and we just see glimpses of sexy rabbits dancing on a podium, we move further in and we see a drunken figure weeping at the end of the bar.

As we get closer again we see it's Fox McCloud. He's an emotionally broken down older Fox traumatised by all the horrors he saw in the Lylat Wars.

He contemplates sticking his pistol in his mouth and pulling the trigger. But his space phone rings and it's Slippy Toad. He says " Even though you let my wife die when the mandrills attacked my planet I have one last mission for you."

Fox downs his white wine spritzer in one and says.... "Alright you son of a bitch..."

Would be awesome.

YES

Top Bottom