• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Wii U at E3 by Retro? [Rumour]

TriGen

This is really old, as for it being legit I'm not sure, but I'd lean toward no. I figured Nintendo would have Retro go after the western audience to start the Wii U gen, I don't see Star Fox being the type of game that's set at chasing the mainstream audience.

I'm starting to believe this so I won't be too disappointed if it happens.

I don't hate Star Fox but I'm a big fan of the Retro games so far and Star Fox is not my favorite franchise by any stretch of the imagination.

However, whatever Retro developes for the Wii U, day 1.

They'd make the game Star Fox 64 quality.

IrishNinja

Well, it was never a top selling franchise. I'm not talking quality. Although I hate Metroid Prime but w/e

DKC Returns however was easily in ,A' sales area... (Higher than Skyward Sword even, I believe)
Though I agree, Zelda wouldn't be my top choice. But it would be certainly better than Starfox.

Anything but Star Fox! I'd hate to see Retro wasting their talent on that shitty IP.

SF would be the biggest disappointment for me, alongside some First Person Shooter project that many seemingly cry for after Metroid Prime (which was an Action Adventure if anything).
I was already bummed that Donkey Kong wasn't 3D, even though it still was great on its own.

Myriadis

starfox and f-zero not good enough for retro studios.

why not have them do a sequel to dkcr or a 2d side scrolling metroid?

or even let them have their own take on zelda.

Then starfox and f-zero are not good enough for nintendo. They created and made at least one game for the franchises anyway.

theBishop

Banned
HD Starfox is all well and good, but have we just given up on Nintendo ever creating a new franchise? I've been playing Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Starfox since the early 90's.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I want F-Zero more than Star Fox :(

I'll probably buy whatever Retro puts out next though even if it's something I'd normally pass on, I mean, they don't have a miss on their resume yet.

One has to wonder if Retro will wonder into furry romance with this Star Fox.

Hopefully not, I will never forgive Rare for what they did.

Haunted

The launch lineup certainly needs a couple of games of that calibre to be exciting enough for a lot of people.

OnPoint

Would people be opposed if it wasn't on rails? I'm thinking more in terms of Rouge Squadron. Big sprawling space battles (man I want another Rogue Squadron game :( ) With bonus levels being a throwback to the SNES game

You could use the touch pad to send squad members to different areas of the map. Like, you would be commander Dog (I forget his name). Different tactics would mean each fight, the enemy would have different approach each time you play.

As long as it doesn't feel as slow as RS I'd be down for bigger space battles.

MYE

HD Starfox is all well and good, but have we just given up on Nintendo ever creating a new franchise? I've been playing Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Starfox since the early 90's.

You should try some of the many new IPs they created for the Wii/DS then.

I hear Xenoblade is worth a look ;)

I've got a feeling they are working on it, and I imagine it will be similar in style to star fox 64. I feel like retro wants to play very cautiously with Nintendo's franchises, Donkey Kong country returns was so much like the first 2 donkey kong country games (which many would say are the best, but I personally prefer DKC3 for it's overworld), with fantastic art and level design. Metroid Prime came about as an FPS I assume because Nintendo asked them to (I seem to remember Miyamoto being impressed with their first person engine before retro was acquired by Nintendo).

JaseMath

Is this the new Kid Icarus?

I haven't been following the new "Nintendo Dead franchise that fans want revived that wasn't a good game in the first place..." trend.

EH...KI is awesome and all, but I've been leading the Star Tropics remake bandwagon since the Wii was launched. I even emailed Nintendo about it.

One has to wonder if Retro will wonder into furry romance with this Star Fox.

Hopefully not, I will never forgive Rare for what they did.

I've seen some clips of the DS game in which Starfox becomes an alcoholic after Krystal breaks up with him.

God, this series needs to die.

Alpha_eX

I'm sure Retro can make a great Star Fox but then like with DKC:R, Nintendo will come along and insist they replace the functionality of a face button with a Wii Remote Gesture. Still can't forgive them for doing that, ruined the game for me, especially in the Time Trial mode.

I want a new Star Fox to have no on-foot sections or annoying character interactions.

Floex

Well, it was never a top selling franchise. I'm not talking quality. Although I hate Metroid Prime but w/e

I don't know what your point is. Donkey Country Returns I believe has sold more than Zelda Skyward Sword. So by that logic, Zelda doesn't shift consoles like it once did so what's the point of the franchise anymore? I don't believe Starfox is a system seller either but it's a respected franchise and if Retro (if they're working on it) can once again put their magic on it I believe the franchise could be relevant again

Worst comes to worst, Nintendo make the new Starfox a downloadable title

You can say that just about with any system or big developer.

People want them to do brand new IPs and then we get Steel Diver(which doesn't seem horrid but doesn't really create excitement).

There will be new IPs from Nintendo this time around but when you have such strong concepts for franchises, it makes no sense at all not to even consider revitalizing them.

MYE

I'm trying to imagine how it would look.

Found this fanmade pic on the internets

STARFOXHDfan_THUMB.jpg

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Man, I didn't realize how much GAF hates on the Star Fox brand. I love those goofy characters... I think Retro making a modern 3D arcade shooter would be the bee's knees.

JaseMath

I'm trying to imagine how it would look.

Found this fanmade pic on the internets

STARFOXHDfan_THUMB.jpg

Okay...that's awesome. With the UPad, whatever else we don't know about, HD, and proper controls, StarFox could be dope.

Still rather them do something different though.
STAR TROPICS

theBishop

Banned
You can say that just about with any system or big developer.

People want them to do brand new IPs and then we get Steel Diver(which doesn't seem horrid but doesn't really create excitement).

There will be new IPs from Nintendo this time around but when you have such strong concepts for franchises, it makes no sense at all not to even consider revitalizing them.

Yea (and this'll be my last post, I don't want to divert Starfox love), Nintendo can and should make Mario games until the mahdi returns. But that shouldn't come at the expensive of new original ventures. And Steel Diver is not what I mean. I'm talking about full-scale productions on the level of Starfox, Mario, all the other AAA games Nintendo develops. I think Geist was the last time this happened.

Only if it's a return to form. Star Fox 64 is by far one of my favorite games of all time and the way the series was so poorly handled afterwards is one of the gaming industry's greatest crimes.

I don't know what your point is. Donkey Country Returns I believe has sold more than Zelda Skyward Sword. So by that logic, Zelda doesn't shift consoles like it once did so what's the point of the franchise anymore? I don't believe Starfox is a system seller either but it's a respected franchise and if Retro (if they're working on it) can once again put their magic on it I believe the franchise could be relevant again

Worst comes to worst, Nintendo make the new Starfox a downloadable title

My point is in general I don't see Retro being given "top" franchises, but rather being tasked with taking title that maybe aren't too relevant at the minute and trying to get them popular again. SS may have been pretty bad, but Zelda doesn't really fit that criteria.

volpone

Banned
Retro should be working on a big-budget third person shooter. A new franchise with the pull and prestige of Gears and Uncharted would add hugely benefit Nintendo's roster. An FPS is risky with CoD, Battelfield and Halo dominating that market. The Killzone series doesn't seem to have done Sony many favours in contrast to Uncharted. And Resistance died a death. The release of Gears of War and Uncharted 2 were watershed moments for their respective consoles. I just hope if they are working n an TPS it doesn't come in the form of Star Fox. Unless I get to see Slippy explode in a gory mess within the first five minutes because I 'failed' to get that guy off his tail.

My point is in general I don't see Retro being given "top" franchises, but rather being tasked with taking title that maybe aren't too relevant at the minute and trying to get them popular again. SS may have been pretty bad, but Zelda doesn't really fit that criteria.

Nintendo themself didn't laugh at the notion of giving Zelda to Retro so anything is possible.

I don't think it's happening but they didn't see it as a bad idea.

MYE

Yea (and this'll be my last post, I don't want to divert Starfox love), Nintendo can and should make Mario games until the mahdi returns. But that shouldn't come at the expensive of new original ventures. And Steel Diver is not what I mean. I'm talking about full-scale productions on the level of Starfox, Mario, all the other AAA games Nintendo develops. I think Geist was the last time this happened.

Are we pretending Xenoblade didnt happen just recently?

If Sony stopped at Lair, we wouldn't have Uncharted.

On Starfox... do you think this will have different kinds of vehicles? I loved SF64's multiplayer.

If Retro is doing the game, I expect tons of variety with different crafts and online multiplayer and all that but done is a quality way and not a Prime 2 multiplayer way.

Retro would make it a very deep and ambitious game which is one reason I wouldn't totally be disappointed.

The reason I don't want this to be true is because Star Fox is often limited to flying and "onrailsy" and flying is cool but not my favorite genre of games but if they added that variety, it'd be alright with me.

MYE

Now imagine a new franchise that looks like this and doesn't feature furries.

Why would i want typical human soldier/sci fi characters over this awesomeness?

starfoxHD.png

This with plenty of cheese, please!

I've been watching vids of Kid Icarus Uprising (cant wait to unwrap it later today :D), and we are in serious need of more high quality, funny, nonsensical videogame characters.

Top Bottom