• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Concord’ Lead Character Designer Believes “Whites Must Acknowledge Their Privileged Position, And Then Actively Work For Equality” Also Claims The Ju

spons

Gold Member
He's not right, but not necessarily wrong either, historically speaking anyway. Fact is that this is a pointless blanket statement and a complete generalization, either to rile up (agitprop) or earn some good boy points.

peish

Gold Member
I think Sony purchased this studio is partly because they managed to tick their DEI checkbox.

Yucks, stop this nonsene. Anyway concord looks like a bomb, he can continue his virtue signalling elsewhere soon.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Anyone who thinks anita sarkeesian didn’t irreparably irrevocably fuck up this industry, this is what we’re encountering almost a whole decade after her legacy
It's a combination of things. A lot of it is backlash from Gamergate. It's also the MeToo movement, Donald Trump, George Floyd and a lot of other reasons why wokeness is at an all-time high.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
This is a game already way off of my radar due to GaaS nonsense, but this isn't how you win over potential players pre launch. It's like Suicide Squad's debacle was five years ago or something.

Yep. It's more clear than rain water. I will say good luck, the video game market is brutal right now over that subject :messenger_ogre:

Last edited:

Crayon

Oookay. You can sometimes get away with that if your game is good enough but if it bombs you're going to be a laughing stock forever.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Welp.

There goes my positivity and wanting to play this out the window lmao.

peish

Gold Member
Yes it seems Sony is all in on DEI and wokeness ever since they moved to California. Yes this game will bomb as it should.

If Sony just wanted another generic pvp GAAS shooter, should just give the assignment to their japanese studio instead of shutting them down and making them jobless

So much wokeness to relocate jobs to the west, buying new studios there while shutting down in japan, seems racist :messenger_medmask:

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member

Jon Weisnewski, the Lead Character Designer for Firewalk Studios, the developer of the recently announced Concord game, is a woke activist that buys into the claim that white people are “privileged.”

Following PlayStation showcasing Concord as part of their most recent State of Play video at the end of May, the game’s character designs were mocked across the internet.

In the Gaming subreddit, user gpetrakas declared, “Concord might have the UGLIEST Characters Designs I have ever seen.”

Others agreed. One user wrote, “Yeah I’m not too keen on the character design either but I am also tired of the Pixar toon look that most team shooters have had since like 2007.”

Another added, “It’s like they asked chatgpt to make overwatch again but strip it off all identity.”

Still another posted, “piss yellow, moldy green, wine purple and blue lipstick. who tf thought this was a acceptable color palate need to go.”

It was not just on Reddit. On X, user Mangalawyer wrote, “Concord is a new progressive and modern shooter for Pc & Playstation. It features five black women, four aliens, three robots, and one white man. It’s incredibly diverse and non-heteronormative. Plus, it has pronouns. Are you excited?”

There's more but this is a long article and I'm on a phone lol.
Hot Ones Crying GIF by First We Feast

I mean we all kinda figured but yeah, I'm not going anywhere near this thing.

Outlier

Oh... I see. Now I WANT this game to fail, so the dev team can be dissolved. If there are any good devs on the team, they aren't experienced enough to NOT work for trash companies, so time to learn.

So if a bunch of white people decide not to buy your game, would you consider that to be a minority of people not buying your game?

There is a reason movie theaters are running out of money, and game studios are closing. You stopped catering to your primary audience and started making movies and games that literally suck. Not because of minority characters, but because of unrelatable, stereotypical, awful content.

Last edited:

hinch7

The irony of this guy calling other people privileged lol. Put this guy in a country of conflict or any given one with strict rules and communism and see how he does.

Bro is making a video game, and trying to be a left wing politian.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I’m not going to cancel him for holding a shitty opinion as long as his game is good.

Could give two fucks about someone’s personal politics that works on a game

Agreed. Fuck am I suppose to do with this info? Even if I disagreed with something someone believed, using this dumbass logic, you'd have to avoid pretty much all tech, all games, all entertainment.....nah, I just don't give enough of a fuck about any of this to determine buying something or not based on someone's views.

People have been able to have an opinion and belief since the dawn of time, unless some of you 10000% guarantee some game you are playing has never been worked on by someone with a view you disagree with, its time to let this shit go.

EDMIX

I replace all uses of the word "white" in these scenarios with "black" and realize these freaks are hyper racist.

Netflix show "Dear White People"... imagine... "Dear Black People", a show where we lecture blacks about how to be better.

Twisted.

lol I'd still find that funny..

Not everyone is triggered by this shit man.

Have you not seen The Whitest Kids You Know?

So....look man, as a black person, we wish to you to see our perspective and point of view, it actually doesn't mean we DON'T wish for you to show yours or something or will get offended by every last thing.

So this whole idea of "I replace all the uses of the da word" I don't care lol The shit is funny regardless and trying to force this on comedy as if we have no sense of humor or understanding of context is odd. So....not all of us give shit and get offended by everything or something.

Laugh, Live. Move on.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

For fk sake, leave this shit out of video games. We don't give a crap about your views.

As Blackman, it's hard to see these garbages with their garbage takes.
Why? There is unconscious bias and a lack of non-white characters in video games.

I've seen a couple interesting retrospective on games made by non-Europeans or white Americans and how the game content had to be adapted for an American audience.

EDMIX

Yup, it's very clear that a lot of you don't care.

Some of us do care about morals and there's nothing wrong with that.

Nah, I just don't buy games or really anything based on these reasons.

What game could I play? What film could I watch? What show could I watch? What piece of entertainment could you even ever tell me is just 100% morally just and all staff that worked on it are innocent great loving people or something?

The more you go into it, it just sounds even more strange and weird so.....I'll just play and watch what I want that I think is fun.

I don't buy things based on peoples opinions or views that created it, they are free to have their own minds and views and I don't even know how anyone would vet something like this lol

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
My issues are not with this guy and his opinions. He is free to have them and the Internet mob will have their way.

My issue is how creatively bankrupt this game is and especially his character designs. But, I guess he could only deliver on what the room full of suits demanded from him.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Agreed. Fuck am I suppose to do with this info? Even if I disagreed with something someone believed, using this dumbass logic, you'd have to avoid pretty much all tech, all games, all entertainment.....nah, I just don't give enough of a fuck about any of this to determine buying something or not based on someone's views.
Nope. On the gaming side, most people don't hear about an issue like this because they are not interested in <game with employee lacking situational awareness>. This stuff is on the fringes and only occasionally hits a mainstream product like Hogwarts, where there is no major impact, much to the dismay of crazy people. Based on the SBI / DEI detector freak out, there appears to at least be the impression that there could be a negative impact on smaller games. People passing on a product hurts far greater by proportion when your sales ceiling is, you know, not 22+ million. Has anyone suffered a severe blow from this? No idea. It's always revolving around games I'm not interested in to begin with.

As for other entertainment mediums - I am not taking a swan dive into a TOS violation on this forum's glorious 20th anniversary, but only someone fresh out of Vault 31 thinks you have to reward people who despise you to consume their content. People don't install Kodi to rip their LaserDisc collections.

EDMIX

Has anyone suffered a severe blow from this? No idea. It's always revolving around games I'm not interested in to begin with.

lol this is true.

I don't know how much the majority even cares about this subject regarding games to determine buying or avoiding a game because of it.

consoul

Who's the fucking activist?
A gamedev who once tweeted some lukewarm leftwing takes years ago, or writers of clickbait outrage bullshit like this who go out of their way to dig up anything they can to inflame and profit from culture wars?

Fuck this shit. I'm so sick of it all.
I'll judge a game on its own merits, not any of this politicized meta-crap.

If Sony just wanted another generic pvp GAAS shooter, should just give the assignment to their japanese studio instead of shutting them down and making them jobless

So much wokeness to relocate jobs to the west, buying new studios there while shutting down in japan, seems racist :messenger_medmask:
You are correct indeed. Agree 100%. The Japan Studio was such a stupid closure by them as well. They are woke beyond recognition.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm black and that shit make no sense. I want to be hired because I'm good at what I do. Are they trying to bring back segregation??
Confused Kid Cudi GIF by Apple Music
Pretty much.

Anyone who is political trying to purposely divide people by race, gender, sexual preference, hiring quotas etc... are to a T is exact definition of discriminatory or bigoted. But I got to say I am pretty surprised the employee is that bold publicly admitting to making blanket statements about white people on social media. Goes to show how proud they are doing it for all to see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom