• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Concord’ Lead Character Designer Believes “Whites Must Acknowledge Their Privileged Position, And Then Actively Work For Equality” Also Claims The Ju

Singular7

White privileged people?

Who knew all white people were living it up like The Rockefellers.

But good to see so called anti-racist/woke people be just as bigoted as the people they claim are by making blanket statements.

I replace all uses of the word "white" in these scenarios with "black" and realize these freaks are hyper racist.

Netflix show "Dear White People"... imagine... "Dear Black People", a show where we lecture blacks about how to be better.

Twisted.

Guilty_AI

Look if that's your stupid point then I'm not going to bother to argue with you, but I think about 99% of people would agree racial discrimination against minorities exists to some extent in ways it doesn't against whites.

Few people get bent out of shape when you acknowledge discrimination existing. But when you frame the lack of discrimination as "privilege," people tend to bristle. Even though this is exactly the same thing (like describing a coin as "heads up" or "tails down").

That's a pretty good argument for why "privilege" is the wrong word to use, but it's a pretty bad argument for boycotting anything made by any kind of race normie. It's really exhausting to see discussion about games dragged into this endless bullshit about whether or not the staff or the community manager or the fucking janitor might not be racist enough.
The majority of people promoting this kind of stuff push such ideas absolutely devoid of any context. Oversimplified, tunneled and braindead views that not only don't help the cause they're supposedly fighting for but actively make things worse.

You're doing the exact same thing by trying to frame this as a "head or tails" thing. I guarantee this guy isn't more privileged than Oprah because of his race:

OUNGUkJwRT0

Roberts

But I kinda liked Bleeding Edge character designs. At least I didn't notice anything totally negative.
Bleeding Edge felt like a parody of these designs. None of them were meant to be "cool" and "trendy" - mostly just wacky or weird. I mean, it had a silly guitarist named Nidhogger looking and sounding as if he escaped some Norwegian black metal cartoon.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The majority of people promoting this kind of stuff push such ideas absolutely devoid of any context. Oversimplified, tunneled and braindead views that not only don't help the cause they're supposedly fighting for but actively make things worse.

You're doing the exact same thing by trying to frame this as a "head or tails" thing.
Again, I am not framing it as a heads or tails thing, dude. What I am saying is that these words "privilege" and "discrimination" describe the same phenomenon, just like "more" and "less" describe different sides of the same comparison.

I guarantee this guy isn't more privileged than Oprah because of his race:
Of course not, there are millions of things that can give people advantages or disadvantages in life beyond a person's race.

But the question is not if this guy has it good, the question is if his situation would be better or worse if he was also black.

Last edited:

Oof85

White privileged people?

Who knew all white people were living it up like The Rockefellers.

But good to see so called anti-racist/woke people be just as bigoted as the people they claim are by making blanket statements.
Totally missed the point of what privilege most people mean when they use it in this context.

It's just the benefit of the doubt.

That's literally it.

Studio posts a picture of their different members in celebration/anticipation of a games very near release, and the look of the studio is diverse in terms of ethnicity and styling.

Without fail, comments of DEI get sprinkled in.

Hence, people who don't "fit" the expected or even worse, accepted idea of what game developers can be, get hit with skepticism about the merits of their employment.

That's the privilege he's talking about.

Maybe such vile and mean-spirited sentiments aren't in any way present here on Gaf but it's everywhere else online.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The difference is that one side (the woke) wants products banned for "unacceptable" views of the creatives, while the other side refuses to buy products for "unacceptable" views of the creatives. People here dont seriously want Concord to be cancelled/banned. Most of them just calling the game DOA and the character designer a weirdo.

My point was that it shouldn't matter. The Concord devs could be based as fuck and the game would still look just as tired and uninspired.

Also, virtue signalling is not solely the province of the wokies, the anti-woke do it just as much when they feel like they are playing to an audience aligned to their side of the culture war.

Guilty_AI

Again, I am not framing it as a heads or tails thing, dude. What I am saying is that these words "privilege" and "discrimination" describe the same phenomenon, just like "more" and "less" describe different sides of the same comparison.
One person being discriminated against won't automatically means the other is privileged. That's the kind of gross oversimplification that i'm calling you out on.
But the question is not if this guy has it good, the question is if his situation would be better or worse if he was also black.
No, the question is how to develop effective ways to improve and avoid such situations. Because when you're freezing to death, asking whether they'd be better or worse of due to being of X race is an mind boggling stupid thing to concern yourself with.

Boss Mog

Well he should probably keep that to himself when he interviews for his next job after Firewalk Studios gets shutdown following abysmal sales of Concord.

I wouldn't even touch it if it was free to play.

Quixz

I think this Concord was probably too far into development for Sony to cancel. DOA and money wasted!

Why am I not surprised by this. The first seconds of the trailer and having seen the main characters I knew this was the product of some DEI nonsense activism and was going to fail hard with the gaming community.

Last edited:

Oppoi

IGN will have articles like "these are the classes and setups you want to stick with if you don't want to jeopardize your account."

Švejk

Jon Weisnewski, lead character designer of Firewalk Studios pushing this shit...
and Jeremy Blaustein as the CEO of Dragonbaby pushing his shit...

So weird... 🤔

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It has PVP but it’s not as balanced, so I play occasionally but I want something different and more focused

I think that's completely fair

But, for me. I don't want to support a game that has clearly been made by committee. This screams of a business suit from 5 to 6 years ago when marvel wasn't suffering like it is now...and overwatch was big, green lighting and pushing a game that looks like it's made by AI.

"Give me a game that's like guardians of the galaxy with overwatch gameplay and maybe Destiny shooting"

Here's concord!

But if the devs are good, hopefully the staff get to work on something a little less of a rip off soulless mess in the future.

I think that's completely fair

But, for me. I don't want to support a game that has clearly been made by committee. This screams of a business suit from 5 to 6 years ago when marvel wasn't suffering like it is now...and overwatch was big, green lighting and pushing a game that looks like it's made by AI.

"Give me a game that's like guardians of the galaxy with overwatch gameplay and maybe Destiny shooting"

Here's concord!

But if the devs are good, hopefully the staff get to work on something a little less of a rip off soulless mess in the future.

I really don’t care about any of that

I didn’t like Redfall’s characters either, but was willing to get excited because a vampire shooter does sound kinda cool

Too bad the game itself ended up being poor

And honestly concord’s character designs are fine. They are totally marvel, but they’re well done copy cats

Last edited:

Astral Dog

meanwhile White women are being replaced in Disney movies ,in sports and other modern media for their nauseating and problematic skin color

Last edited:

Sinfulgore

Totally missed the point of what privilege most people mean when they use it in this context.

That's literally it.

Studio posts a picture of their different members in celebration/anticipation of a games very near release, and the look of the studio is diverse in terms of ethnicity and styling.

Hence, people who don't "fit" the expected or even worse, accepted idea of what game developers can be, get hit with skepticism about the merits of their employment.

Maybe such vile and mean-spirited sentiments aren't in any way present here on Gaf but it's everywhere else online.
Gamers don't have an accepted or expected idea of who game developers can be, games have been made by all kinds of people from all over the world for decades. The problem is that the industry has been pushing this DEI stuff for so many years now some gamers will assume that every decision a studio makes is because of DEI and more often than not it's true. The industry created this problem by focusing so much on DEI and if the industry wants gamers to stop doing this then they need to stop pushing DEI so much. This will probably never happen though because the gaming industry has been infiltrated by activists who care more about normalizing pronouns than making a good game.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member

That's literally it.

This studio is scrutinized because they have shown SHIT. If the game looked awesome, nobody would give a damn about how woke these people are. But it happens that a certain type of studio makes a certain type of game. That's literally it, without fail.

Ozzie666

I don't disagree with the spirit of the message, I disagree that this is the place to try to encourage any change. When the game bombs and the developer is closed. Are they going to blame the audience and call them racists? or are they going accept fault for not knowing their audience and who is buying these games. I don't get how publishers keep letting this happen, then wonder why a game fails to make any money.

Nevermind the game is about 7-8 years too late, souless and fueled by polotical agendas.

StereoVsn

Jon Weisnewski, lead character designer of Firewalk Studios pushing this shit...
and Jeremy Blaustein as the CEO of Dragonbaby pushing his shit...

So weird... 🤔
It’s a conspiracy! I also sell tinfoil if you are interested.

The answer is that fucking social media, indoctrination and public education policy has done a number on a whole bunch of people.

WoJ

That's literally it.

The whole idea of benefit of doubt is extending trust to someone you are skeptical of trusting.

Why do people like this deserve the benefit of the doubt when time again it's the purple haired pronoun brigade who wants to lecture us on alleged white privilege and diversity/inclusion and inject this crap into games and literally everything? They don't. Any benefit of the doubt they had years ago they lost.

That's what is overlooked. They probably had the benefit of the doubt at one point. They've lost it by being activists.

Top Bottom