• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 Month Later, Halo: MCC is still broken

Who

Banned
I'll just post my transcript. Why not? My patience grew fairly thin since this is my second time attempting this and I was promised one the first time I did.

tl;dr:
-Promised a refund by a previous agent, he had said that there was an issue with the system but that I could get one once they fixed it
-Contacted support again
-Blamed 343, said I need to ask them for a refund
-After showing the NeoGAF post from Frankie, still no refund
-Said even though the previous agent promised one, still no refund
-Doesn't know how much a PS4 runs

I edited it out for length, but they also claimed phone support follows the same guidelines and wouldn't be able to give me a refund.

I'm sorry but we're you expecting the agent to give in or something after constantly repeating your question? I've worked call centers, live chat, etc. and those people don't set the rules so your barking up the wrong tree. Your best bet would be to call and ask to speak with a supervisor after being denied by an agent

Still not fixed huh?

My friends and I usually try to play every Tuesday when we have time. Last few weeks we've usually attempted to play MCC, get maybe 3 or 4 matches in the span of 2 hours and then just move on to something else. Been a couple patches since we played last so I was hopeful it was all ironed out.

It's a shame really because the core game is built for success. Still hoping 343 gets everything sorted.

Hatchtag

Banned
Right, because getting pissed off and abusing the rep obviously got you what you wanted, didn't it?

Well, considering I was polite for most of the chat and the previous chat (both of which aren't included here because I didn't want the post to be too long), my patience was running a bit thin. But of course, focus on the part where I'm slightly rude instead of the part where the company essentially steals from people.

Well, considering I was polite for most of the chat and the previous chat (both of which aren't included here because I didn't want the post to be too long), my patience was running a bit thin. But of course, focus on the part where I'm slightly rude instead of the part where the company essentially steals from people.

"Slightly" rude? You have a lot to learn about how to deal with people.

Talk about a backfire. That dude didn't do anything to you and Microsoft certainly isn't stealing your money.

Slightly rude? You're embarrassing yourself.

NickFire

Gee, I wonder why you were denied a refund... That transcript is just plain embarrassing for you.

Bull. The customer was sold something that is widely known to be broken. Yet despite such, he was dicked around. MS should have a simple policy to, upon request, delete the license from the Live account and refund the money until the game is fixed at least. If they sold it as a beta I would be on MS side, but they sold this as a finished game, and while I am only guessing I would bet MS pushed the game into retail for the sake of releasing it regardless of the issues.

Madness

Give it a rest, you come off sounding like a prick there to the poor customer service agent who has nothing to do with this situation. Your anger is with MS and 343. Guys like you are the reason I'd never work retail or anything service related. I get you're upset and that you want a refund, but look how you went about it.

She was always polite and courteous. Fun fact, name dropping people does nothing. What does the customer service agent know about Frank O Connor or linking to a forum post? They have to use official guidelines and what is posted to their twitter or Halo Waypoint or internal decisions.

Learn to take your anger out on the right people, damn. Of course there will be push back, it's now a month since launch and you want a refund. It was easy for a lot of folks within the first week. Often times, Xbox Support is understaffed usually by workers in other countries who are not 100% sure about anything.

Bull. The customer was sold something that is widely known to be broken. Yet despite such, he was dicked around. MS should have a simple policy to, upon request, delete the license from the Live account and refund the money until the game is fixed at least. If they sold it as a beta I would be on MS side, but they sold this as a finished game, and while I am only guessing I would bet MS pushed the game into retail for the sake of releasing it regardless of the issues.

So that gives him the right to abuse customer service reps at Microsoft and try to bully them into giving refunds? From what he posted, I'm not at all surprised they told him to take a hike.

I would have done the same.

Still not fixed huh?

My friends and I usually try to play every Tuesday when we have time. Last few weeks we've usually attempted to play MCC, get maybe 3 or 4 matches in the span of 2 hours and then just move on to something else. Been a couple patches since we played last so I was hopeful it was all ironed out.

It's a shame really because the core game is built for success. Still hoping 343 gets everything sorted.

Last night's patch significantly improved the matchmaking so maybe it will work this time

Jacob, please understand.

HiiiLife

and people laughed when I got a refund after a week of that mess.

Where are all those people now.

Not gonna say any names but I know exactly who you're speaking of lol. I was getting flamed for overreacting that week. I'm sorry but this is hilarious.. A month later. Hahaha.

I just wish I had the luck some of you have had. I didn't. Had to get my refund.

Kadin

I got a refund from them a couple weeks back and I have to say, I was very cool and calm with them. They were very set on NOT giving me the refund but I just continued to push the issue and had to get them on my side. Someone earlier had mentioned about relating the purchase to buying something from the store that partially worked and then asked the rep if they'd expect a refund. I found that this worked quite well. In the end I did have to mention that I'd probably end up leaving some remarks with the Better Business Bureau and I think that finalized their decision to grant me the refund.

I do think that's a legitimate step to take because if the product is not functioning as it should, you really shouldn't have to let them run around the issue. At the end of the day, you should get the money back whether they promise a fix "soon™" or not.

NickFire

So that gives him the right to abuse customer service reps at Microsoft and try to bully them into giving refunds? From what he posted, I'm not at all surprised they told him to take a hike.

I would have done the same.

He did not "abuse" anyone, and from what he posted he was being told to take a hike no matter if his patience were tested or not. And if this rep cant handle this level of anger from a customer sold something genuinely broken, then they are in the wrong profession.

Celestia

Halo 2 doesn't allow you to save and quit your game so you have to be committed to beating a level. Multiplayer is still having issues where it loses connection to the host, takes you to the game over screen, freezes, flat out refuses to start a game despite having a full lobby, or puts you is someone's custom game. Attempting to play with friends leads to constant failure to connect errors, never ending "joining" loops, breaking up your party by dropping one or all of the people you're with, etc. And that's after the latest patch.

Bottom line is the game still needs a lot of help. It's honestly soured my view on the franchise despite being one of my favorites. I knew I should have gotten a SO bundle, but they made them limited for no good reason.

He did not "abuse" anyone, and from what he posted he was being told to take a hike no matter if his patience were tested or not. And if this rep cant handle this level of anger from a customer sold something genuinely broken, then they are in the wrong profession.

Cussing = abuse. That's all that needs to be said about interacting with customer service reps.

The moment you get vulgar, you've already lost.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I think this is an interesting video that discusses the issues and why pre-ordering is a bad move: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCC499Gf4DY&feature=youtu.be

MP still broken
- Game crashes
- People can't find games
- Uneven teams
http://kotaku.com/two-weeks-later-halo-multiplayer-is-still-a-mess-1663158779

Single Player campaign issues:
- Halo 2 save
- Achievements not unlocking
- Game crashes
- Split Screen frame rate drops

Even GAFs very own OT is mostly posts about the bugs or people "finally" getting into games.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=929710

I don't understand why this game wasn't delayed. This is the premier franchise for Microsoft and they couldn't extend the deadline to a later date for their biggest IP and one of the biggest IP in all of gaming.

What was 343i doing?

Holiday season.

I don't think 343i is that much to blame - other than concluding the build they shipped was in a "playable" state. I have pretty much concluded the game was rushed to meet the deadline and stay-within plans for the big MS holiday push with the price drop. I think it worked from a business standpoint. MS would probably do the same thing if given the chance given the trade-offs. Sunset Overdrive is not Halo, even if it's a collection like MCC.

Arnie

I hate it when I can't enjoy being right.

Such a shame but so expected. Those flying into this like baby puppies were always setting themselves up for disappointment.

Hatchtag

Banned
Phone support looked at my previous chat, mentioned they were a GAFfer, and pushed the refund through. Thanks Microsoft support dude! Sorry I was a bit of an ass to your co-worker lol.

NickFire

Cussing = abuse. That's all that needs to be said about interacting with customer service reps.

The moment you get vulgar, you've already lost.

HA!

Ok, you almost had me there. For a second I thought you were serious that typing a swear was abuse in your opinion.

Most recently I have been having problems with HALO CE online co-op. I have replayed 60-90% of the level '343 Guilty Spark' 5 times. All appears to be going well, each time, until everything freezes and all that can be done is to rotate my characters POV. Reloading a checkpoint works to some extent, but I just end up stuck in place at the checkpoint. All the while my friend and I have no trouble communicating. Kinda wish I hadn't influenced his xbone purchase decision with this game.

So weird that people are getting denied refunds. When I went onto MS chat support and asked for one they right away said "Our policy for digital games is no refunds but due to the ongoing issues with this game we are able to give you a refund on this occasion" making it seem like all of customer service had been given the go ahead to give refunds for this game.

Ironically, the patches have only made matchmaking worse for me so far. Before I could get into Halo 2: Anniversary matches, just not Halo CE, 2, 3, or 4.

Ever since the past two patches I haven't been able to get in ANY games.

I have to wonder if 343i (or whatever lowest bidder they outsourced this to) actually knows what the problem fundamentally is. If this game worked it would be my favorite on the system. In the meantime I'm really enjoying my time with Titanfall.

HA!

Ok, you almost had me there. For a second I thought you were serious that typing a swear was abuse in your opinion.

My father always said you can always tell just what kind of a person someone is by how they treat people in the service industry.

It rings true to this day.

GavinGT

Banned
Eh, matchmaking is 200% better for me after yesterday's update. I played 10 straight games without anything going wrong. Glitches are evidently still present, but they're not nearly as prevalent as they were at launch. They still have lots of work to do (dedicated servers, playlists, framerate issues in certain circumstances, etc...), but the game is totally playable now.

Ironically, the patches have only made matchmaking worse for me so far. Before I could get into Halo 2: Anniversary matches, just not Halo CE, 2, 3, or 4.

I have to wonder if 343i (or whatever lowest bidder they outsourced this to) actually knows what the problem fundamentally is. If this game worked it would be my favorite on the system. In the meantime I'm really enjoying my time with Titanfall.

Try switching the xbox to powersaving instead of sleep and then completely power cycle it. This has worked for others. Everyone who has not tried this and can't get into games should try it. I am baffled as to why that even matters but it worked for me.

EatMyFace

Banned
Microsoft was getting crushed by Sony all year. They couldn't delay their flagship holiday title especially with all the price promotions they had planned.

They rushed the game thinking they could patch in any bugs/issues which is sadly a common practice in the industry these days.

Got a refund on mine via telephone. MS Resisted quite a bit, but a sup eventually gave in. Brought my Xbox for this, thankfully sunset and Fantasia made it less of a wash. Titanfall sale boosted up the player base thankfully so there's that.

Do they refund the money to your credit card (or source of purchase) or just give you Live credit?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Got my X1 over Black Friday, primarily to play Halo MCC. It's definitely been a struggle to get coop with my brother to work. I am enjoying my X1 immensely (Sunset Overdrive woo) but, man, MCC needed another month in the oven. At least.

Ghazi

Nope. Call Of Duty actually works. Since Day 0.
How can say a broken game is better than a working one? Is that you attempt at a joke or just flat-out trolling?
MCC custom games are the funnest things I've played in a while. That's what I'm saying the game is better. I refunded my MCC for a copy of CoD and I regret it.

NickFire

My father always said you can always tell just what kind of a person someone is by how they treat people in the service industry.

It rings true to this day.

Your father is right. But this guy did not mistreat the person. Whether they could find a different job or not, they accepted the job of telling someone who was already ripped off, that after they went through the hassle of getting a "customer service" rep on the chat, that the company was not going to not make things right because of some bull crap excuse / series of excuses, with an EA reference thrown in to boot.

A few swears in response to a polite, "I'm sorry you were screwed, but too bad, although I understand your frustration we are keeping your money," is not abuse.

I wonder if delaying it until December, would have helped?

I don't think it would have. None of these issues manifested until they launched the game to the public. Only way they would have known if they did a massive beta, similar to Reach.

Nope. Call Of Duty actually works. Since Day 0.
How can say a broken game is better than a working one? Is that you attempt at a joke or just flat-out trolling?

I think people need to start defining what broken means because to me it means something messed up making it completely unplayable. Diablo 3 was broken at launch. Driveclub online was broken at launch. Halo MCC multiplayer was broken at launch.

It's definitely not broken now though.

People CAN play it though and it's definitely better then CoD. It's not as fluid an experience as getting into a CoD match but it does works and to me it's worth it. This game is light years ahead of CoD.

Elandyll

Banned
I can only imagine the Suit that did the Halo MCC pitch to the 343 dev staff as Eddie Izzard, as in his skit where Henry VIII is pitching the Anglican religion to the Pope:

Wrxt12E.gif

Mr. Devs!
You're going to port Halo 1 to the XB1, then You're gonna actually do a full remake of Halo 2 for the Anniversary, including Multiplayer.
Now, I know what you're gonna say, but stick with me. My story gets better.

Halo 3, and Halo 4 too! All at 60fps and with lighting upgrades!
Ah, not expecting that, are we?

You'll be able to switch Halo2 original and new graphics on the fly! All the games with all the MP maps, accessible from the same interface with Matchmaking! Access to Halo 5 Beta included. New intros and epilogues too, to tie it all up. Halo Nightfall included too, and all of that available for November 2014! ..."

and the Devs are saying, "You crazy bugger! You can't do all this, what are you a Cruncher? It's illegal. What have you been coding? Halo according to St. Bastard?

;)

I'm not worried. Thanks to this XBO beta test they'll have it fixed in time for the PC port to recoup their losses, right? Right?

I still believe dammit.

yeah it's not like both people from microsoft support and 343 promised ones or anything.
If you're ripped off, you have a right to be pissed off at them.

Yes, but being rude with the chat room support will not help at all. You need to phone up and immediately say you need to speak to a supervisor or someone else who can discuss and authorise refunds. Or PM Stinkles and ask if he can help. Your tone in these messages is way off though, and they'll be less inclined to try and help if you act like a dick.

The game released in an unacceptable condition, while single player worked there's a load of menu bugs and issues all over the place, all the reviews out there most likely never saved mid level for halo 2 to find there is a save bug, among other things they missed.

MCC soured my love for halo and feelings towards 343 and halo 5, it's such a shame.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

All good. You're not so secretly playing the best console MP game in existence. You're set.

Jomjom

Banned
The way to get a refund is to persevere and keep taking up the CS rep's time. Most companies have a sort of policy where they don't want to spend past a certain amount of time on any one customer and any one issue. At some point they've expended more time dealing with you than it's worth and that is costing them more than simply refunding you.

If you keep bugging them (making sure to reference the same case # if you were given one) they'll eventually give in.

Top Bottom