• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11 minutes of The Order 1886 gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the PlayStation BlogCast, they did an interview with someone from RAD. They said that there was some serious talent doing the characters in the game that will stun us when we find out who they are (paraphrasing here). They said something along the lines of everybody will rush to IMDB. Right now there are only two people listed on IMDB for the game, neither seem like characters we've been introduced to (and are not major actors). Now I'm really intrigued to find out what level of talent he is referring to.

I think the big thread with all the gifs and pin board site videos has the list spoiler tagged.

Edit: Italian voice actors since the leaked stuff is all Italian. So we're still in for surprises all around on that front!

Patapwn

Exploring? It was two simple rooms.

I think walking is fine, but there wasn't any exploration in that video.

What? Of course there was exploration... exploration isn't just covering blacked out sections on your open world minimap

Zach

Order10.gif

I should probably buy this.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
There is nothing about this games gameplay videos that remind of Heavy Rain or Beyond in any shape or form.

I really hope this game knocks it out of the park in the fun factor so that all of these ludicrous overblown "Triangle Button Simulator" comments come off as nonsense.

As for why people are excited, really doesn't take that long to see if one actually cares to know.

Agreed. I can probably say that Heavy Rain is my favorite game of all time, and The Order has NEVER reminded me of it. That said, The Order has always looked great, to me. So the naysayers offer tasty tears and nothing more.

Ascenion

I want to like this game because golly gee damn it looks GORGEOUS....but that's it. Everything I see of it in action, simply does not look fun.

I think the big thread with all the gifs and pin board site videos has the list spoiler tagged.

Edit: Italian voice actors since the leaked stuff is all Italian. So we're still in for surprises all around on that front!

None of the voices of the main characters (the four we've seen) seem recognizable. I'm really excited to see if they got someone BIG. The interview seemed to imply one (or some) of the actors were weirded out they were when they saw their character in action. I think they said that with Percival (maybe Galahad) they wanted a Jeremy Irons look. He'd be a pretty big get if they wanted him to voice the character as well.

None of the voices of the main characters (the four we've seen) seem recognizable. I'm really excited to see if they got someone BIG. The interview seemed to imply one (or some) of the actors were weirded out they were when they saw their character in action. I think they said that with Percival (maybe Galahad) they wanted a Jeremy Irons look. He'd be a pretty big get if they wanted him to voice the character as well.

Troy Baker perhaps? :D

Purest 78

I can only imagine if people made gameplay judgments of Tlou from the opening scene. Calm down people Someone told me the Order looks a telltale game today wtf.

What do you have to back up this assertion? Don't think there's been any first party game that went from $59.99 to $39.99 in a week, or even a month.

Then again, I'm getting the game $44.99 on release.
Courtesy of Gamestop Powerup Rewards $25 coupon. Edit: I'm buying Call of Duty 4 to finally replace the one a friend's 360 chewed to hell.

I'm assuming the fact that its only single player and most will probably be over it in a weekend?? But then again it is a first party game soooo idk.

Dazza

On the PlayStation BlogCast, they did an interview with someone from RAD. They said that there was some serious talent doing the characters in the game that will stun us when we find out who they are (paraphrasing here). They said something along the lines of everybody will rush to IMDB. Right now there are only two people listed on IMDB for the game, neither seem like characters we've been introduced to (and are not major actors). Now I'm really intrigued to find out what level of talent he is referring to.

Now do they mean the voice acting or the character animation and materials? I could imagine there are people from the film industry doing both.

Now do they mean the voice acting or the character animation and materials? I could imagine there are people from the film industry doing both.

Eh, it's all going to come down to Troy Baker somehow.

De Niro as Galahad
Pacino as Lady Igraine

"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot a halfbreed around the corner."

The Order 1886

Aikidoka

those black bars are pretty annoying on the video. What purpose do they serve? I thought letterboxing died with the 4:3 TVs. Was the game made with a higher aspect ratio in mind because that makes absolutely no sense.

Hopefully, they won't be as noticeable on a bigscreen TV.

Toxi

Banned
What? Of course there was exploration... exploration isn't just covering blacked out sections on your open world minimap
He walked through a hallway and had some contextual prompts in a simple room. That's not exploration.

Maybe I just have grander expectations for exploration from games like La-Mulana where exploring actually means wandering around a complex area looking for new clues and advantages and shortcuts and not walking over to the shiny objects laid out in one room for extra flavor.

those black bars are pretty annoying on the video. What purpose do they serve? I thought letterboxing died with the 4:3 TVs. Was the game made with a higher aspect ratio in mind because that makes absolutely no sense.

Hopefully, they won't be as noticeable on a bigscreen TV.
You haven't watched many movies lately, have you?

I don't exactly recall. They said they gave one of the characters a Jeremy Irons like look. I don't know if they actually got him to voice the character. From the interview, it seems like there were mixtures of techniques.

I'm kinda getting Heavy Rain/Beyond vibes from this game, in terms of how it's more of a graphical showcase for the PS4, as those were for the PS3, than an actual game that looks fun to play.

This is the same thing some people said about the Uncharted games, then they said it about The Last of Us, then we moved to next-gen and people have said it about Ryse, and Infamous: Second Son, and DriveClub.

Basically, if a game is a looker, the "gameplay concerns" roll out. It's so predictable at this point you can set your watch to it.

From what I've seen I feel it's going to be a looker but fall flat in the game play department, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I can see it disappointing some people.

Falling flat in the gameplay department "isn't necessarily a bad thing?" What a garbage non-statement. You can concern it up here in the NeoGAFs, but you don't even have the fortitude to declare that "falling flat in the gameplay department" would mean the game (a shooter, by a studio that has never produced a game with poor gameplay) would be a failure?

Whose to say though, I just know personally this game just doesn't do anything for me, I've been trying to see what everyone finds so great about what they've released but it all just looks boring. Hopefully the stories interesting enough to keep people interested, if I had a PS4 I'd rent this to check it out for curiosity sake alone.

LOLZ.

For the record, I don't have a PS4 either. But This was so predictable it was funny.

He walked through a hallway and had some contextual prompts in a simple room.

Calling that exploration is silly.

Maybe I just have grander expectations for exploration from games like La-Mulana where exploring actually means wandering around a complex area looking for new clues and advantages and shortcuts and not walking over to the shiny objects laid out in one room.
Shit, I didn't know the Order was a Metroidvania game...

Next you're going to tell me the Order doesn't have enough ARPG character action.

Aikidoka

You haven't watched many movies lately, have you?

Not too many. But in films letterboxing at least has a functional purpose of allowing TVs with different aspect ratios to see the same aspect ratio. I don't really see how that is applicable to video games. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with some insight instead of just being snide.

Toxi

Banned
Shit, I didn't know the Order was a Mwtroidvania game...

Next you're going to tell me the Order doesn't have enough ARPG character action.
Okay, please tell me how what we see in the footage (And no, not the full game, the 11 minutes of footage linked in the thread) counts as exploration.

I care about exploration in video games. It's not something that just exists in "Metroidvania", it's something that exists in many places. The Order might even have some. We should certainly raise the bar a bit higher than walking over to the prompts in one simply laid-out room.

This is like saying that a couple of treasure chests in an otherwise empty room means exploration because you have to walk over to them and open them. Walking and exploration are not synonyms.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, yes, more "gameplay" for The Order...

The visuals sure do look amazing. The overall look is just executed phenomenally. I did see some weirdly low res environmental textures in the beginning, though.

I like the atmosphere of the game, for sure. Hoping it has a good lengthy story.

Everything is so gorgeous and nicely detailed that it's going to be a lot of fun to just walk around and look at stuff.

That said, that clip was rather boring. I expected "gameplay", not walking around the base.

prwxv3

Not too many. But in films letterboxing at least has a functional purpose of allowing TVs with different aspect ratios to see the same aspect ratio. I don't really see how that is applicable to video games. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with some insight instead of just being snide.

The game was actual made with the aspect ration in mind. While it does help performance they did not do letterbox the game because of performance like the Evil Within.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom