• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11 minutes of The Order 1886 gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
the IQ is above and beyond anything i´ve seen on console. Btw. a year ago i read that RAD is using 4XAA for the order...how are they able to do that, with all the high detailed characters and objects, remains a mystery to me. I mean...what kind of sorcery is this?!

I'd imagine 4xMSAA is used rarely in console games partly because it's so taxing resource wise. There are a few console games that have used it in the past, but I'd argue that even they are not as clean as The Order 1886. There must be more going on than simply using this AA method.

The funny thing is, in the interview above Ru states that technically they are only scratching the surface of the console, and already have things in place that they know are well beyond what they've achieved so far. Can't wait to see what these guys cook up with their next game.

I'm not sure he actually believes that sorcery was used to achieve these results.
Liek the phrase naughty gods and whatnot describing some studio's technical work, all technical stuff in video games is eplainable and requires no hyperbole. It can look great, but there is "sorcery." Hence my annoyance.
I'd imagine 4xMSAA is used rarely in console games partly because it's so taxing resource wise. There are a few console games that have used it in the past, but I'd argue that even they are not as clean as The Order 1886. There must be more going on than simply using this AA method.
4xMSAA would be expensive for any game that isnt forward rendered. The game engine design is forward rendered, and hence, it is proportionally far less expensive than most other games. For example, the witcher 3 will also be forward+, and by extension, MSAA will be more or less "inexpensive." But the reason why this game looks so "clean" is because it has 2-3 techniques (depending upon what they are doing) going beyond just 4XMSAA. They are using texture authoring specular AA (Ryse does this as welll) and some TAA technique blending results from frames, and perhaps even an analytical PPAA (which would be the third if the game is using one).

nib95

Banned
Liek the phrase naughty gods and whatnot describing some studio's technical work, all technical stuff in video games is eplainable and requires no hyperbole. It can look great, but there is "sorcery." Hence my annoyance.

4xMSAA would be expensive for any game that isnt forward rendered. The game engine design is forward rendered, and hence, it is proportionally far less expensive than most other games. For example, the witcher 3 will also be forward+, and by extension, MSAA will be more or less "inexpensive." But the reason why this game looks so "clean" is because it has 2-3 techniques (depending upon what they are doing) going beyond just 4XMSAA. They are using texture authoring specular AA (Ryse does this as welll) and some TAA technique blending results from frames, and perhaps even an analytical PPAA (which would be the third if the game is using one).

Thanks for the explanation. Will be interesting to get your take on it. Already looking at the footage of the retail version compared to older demo's, I can pin point areas where jaggies are now completely gone where before they were visible. Eg the room where they take that injured offcier. Before there were jaggies along the highlights of the table, and beams up top, now the room is completely aliaisng free.

Regarding the sorcery jokes etc from people, I'd imagine they use hyperbole because in case you didn't notice, technical marvels on the level of games like The Order, Ryse, Driveclub, Uncharted 4 etc, don't come around very often. The vast majority of games on these consoles are no where near as technically or visually adept, so when you see something that suddenly looks as graphically realistic and striking as The Order, it is a natural response from some. It's essentially a different form of humorous compliment, and a sense of disbelief at the results achieved.

Handy Fake

Thanks for the explanation. Will be interesting to get your take on it. Already looking at the footage of the retail version compared to older demo's, I can pin point areas where jaggies are now completely gone where before they were visible. Eg the room where they take that injured offcier. Before there were jaggies along the highlights of the table, and beams up top, now the room is completely aliaisng free.

Regarding the sorcery jokes etc from people, I'd imagine they use hyperbole because in case you didn't notice, technical marvels on the level of games like The Order, Ryse, Driveclub, Uncharted 4 etc, don't come around very often. The vast majority of games on these consoles are no where near as technically or visually adept, so when you see something that suddenly looks as graphically realistic and striking as The Order, it is a natural response from some. It's essentially a different form of humorous compliment, and a sense of disbelief at the results achieved.

Gaf is a multinational minefield when it comes to the vagaries and subtleties of the English language. ;)

DavidDesu

maybe this game will nudge ever so slightly the fixation on resolution and frame-rate as the only path towards greater realism.

No game is convincing the way a DVD playing at 480p is convincing, but some people think going to 4K or doubling or quadrupling the frame rate is all that matters.

I think DriveClub and The Order shows that material based shaders / realistic lighting can be more impressive and I'd rather spend gpu budget on that, than have glossy plastic visuals at higher res and higher frame rates.

Driveclub shows that frame rate stability is as important as having 60fps. Its a very fast paced game but its very playable at a solid 30fps. It would look great if it was 60 but I imagine much of what makes the graphics shine and makes it look so damn good would be lost. As you say glossy plastic visuals at high resolutions and framerates aren't that impressive to me (cough master race cough) while games utilising impressive effects and new techniques, wrapped up in accomplished design look so much better overall. Native resolution however is needed and I'm glad The Order is still native 1080p image quality.

cheezcake

maybe this game will nudge ever so slightly the fixation on resolution and frame-rate as the only path towards greater realism.

No game is convincing the way a DVD playing at 480p is convincing, but some people think going to 4K or doubling or quadrupling the frame rate is all that matters.

I think DriveClub and The Order shows that material based shaders / realistic lighting can be more impressive and I'd rather spend gpu budget on that, than have glossy plastic visuals at higher res and higher frame rates.

You're making the big mistake in thinking that the CG visuals were rendered in a 480p framebuffer along with the movie. Old CG movies are more akin to rendering a game at 4k and downsampling to 480p.

On Colin and Greg Live, Kinda Funny's daily live show, they announced that the review embargo lifts on Thursday, February 19th, 2015 at 8:01 A.M. Eastern Time/5:01 A.M. Pacific Time and will be streaming it.

So where are we supposed to go now to read more gaf impressions of the game? There's the spoiler thread, but I'm not strolling in there for obvious reasons.

EGOMON

So where are we supposed to go now to read more gaf impressions of the game? There's the spoiler thread, but I'm not strolling in there for obvious reasons.

As Kev said there is no saving for this game, the trolls are going all out i think it will be first in Gaf's history where a game OT is locked due to excessive shitposting and c-trolling

Loudninja

Oh right!
Order10.gif

Lets get back on tracked here.

ironcreed

Banned
I guess here until its locked like the last 3 topics.

Well, one thing is for certain. This game is not left wanting for attention, which will of course go either way depending on how it is ultimately received. Regardless of that outcome, I have seen enough to make up my own mind and know that it is a game that I will personally enjoy.

Sweep14

As Kev said there is no saving for this game, the trolls are going all out i think it will be first in Gaf's history where a game OT will be locked due to excessive shitposting and trolling

Indeed. But, nevertheless, it was funny to see all those insecure trolls trying to bring down the game :)

It shows a lot about the quality of it IMHO

watchdog

How sad that the other thread had to be shut down. *shakes head* I was enjoying refreshing the thread to see if any non-spoiler information had been posted. Oh well. It won't be much longer until everyone that's excited about this game will have it in their hands. ;)

MMaRsu

Banned
For fucks sake, someone is streaming on twitch with a german aDub wtf

These german streams make me crazy why would anyone want a game like this dubbed???? Then again they dub fucking everything, making sure young people are terrible at english as well.

shmoglish

These german streams make me crazy why would anyQUOTEnt a game like this dubbed???? Then again they dub fucking everything, making sure young people are terrible at english as well.
Eh... Yeah. That's stupid.

MMaRsu

Banned
You must be dutch. I feel the same way lmao.

Yeah I am, shit annoys the hell out of me. Seeing a non german location and it just is german dubbed, how can that not take you OUT of the experience? If I would have to play this in Dutch I would lose my mind. But like I said they dub everything, its honestly a crime. Cant even go to the cinema unleds you catch an undubbed version.

Dawg

Yeah I am, shit annoys the hell out of me. Seeing a non german location and it just is german dubbed, how can that not take you OUT of the experience? If I would have to play this in Dutch I would lose my mind. But like I said they dub everything, its honestly a crime. Cant even go to the cinema unleds you catch an undubbed version.

I'm glad the Benelux never did dubbing on videogames because that's how I learned most of my English.

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm glad the Benelux never did dubbing on videogames because that's how I learned most of my English.

Yup same here, learned most of it through tv, games and movies. And ofcourse school but hey. Why not just use german subtitles?

Hmm, I think we need to go back to having OT's open one week before release again.

The main discussion thread got locked and now we've moved here. We need an OT...

shmoglish

Yup same here, learned most of it through tv, games and movies. And ofcourse school but hey. Why not just use german subtitles?

Why not just use the english voices if you don't like or need the german version? As long as you can chose I really don't see the problem. I often prefer the german because it is easier for me, but in this case the english voices are miles ahead.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah I agree.

Same here. One day isnt enough. Also tv shows get an ot a week before too so im not sure why.

Also to the poster above, Im mostly against dubs in general because they are terrible. Also take in account that most of the time you are playing a story that dont take place in germany so it makes zero sense to have everyone speak german.

Also English = best language

Calavera it might come to plus in 5 years or so. Happy waiting

ironcreed

Banned
I know one thing. Considering how large my backlog is becoming, I am glad that I am getting something that is a bit shorter so I can actually finish it and go back to spending time with other games before titles like Bloodborne drop. Not every game needs to be 20- 50 hours, with multiplayer to boot. A nice 8-10 hour ride is just what the doctor ordered sometimes.

shmoglish

Same here. One day isnt enough. Also tv shows get an ot a week before too so im not sure why.

Also to the poster above, Im mostly against dubs in general because they are terrible. Also take in account that most of the time you are playing a story that dont take place in germany so it makes zero sense to have everyone speak german.

Also English = best language

Calavera it might come to plus in 5 years or so. Happy waiting
Hey I don't want to learn elvish when I want to play Lord of the rings ;). As long as you can chose, I don't see the problem. But I guess That's off topic and not necessary to discuss.

Spineker

Banned
I know one thing. Considering how large my backlog is becoming, I am glad that I am getting something that is a bit shorter so I can actually finish it and go back to spending time with other games before titles like Bloodborne drop. Not every game needs to be 20- 50 hours, with multiplayer to boot. A nice 8-10 hour ride is just what the doctor ordered sometimes.

Do we have an approximate length for Bloodborne? I presume it'll be hundreds of hours if Dark Souls is anything to go by.

These german streams make me crazy why would anyone want a game like this dubbed???? Then again they dub fucking everything, making sure young people are terrible at english as well.

That's my mentality towards all games as well. They should be played in their native language, and if they aren't then it's immersion-destroying. I know The Order was made in America, but it's obviously vying for that quintessential English vibe, and the devs have gone to major lengths in order to achieve it. I've no idea why you'd play it with the German dub on, eugh. Same goes for all those anime games out there that force you to listen to Zack Brodacious from Beverly Hills voicing the new Japanese kid in town.

iNvid02

Hmm, I think we need to go back to having OT's open one week before release again.

The main discussion thread got locked and now we've moved here. We need an OT...

nah, i think people who really want to discuss it will go wherever is active, right now its this thread on the front page and thats alright.

seeing |OT2| a few days after release can be intimidating, its like you missed the train.

*11 minutes of gameplay*

i've reported the video in the op, uploading the entire game before release is unacceptable ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

F-Pina

Went to the tour event here in Lisbon and played the game. Looks awesome.
Also not a walk in the park. The demo I played I died A LOT.

CTO Andreas was there. He his an awesome guy in person and when he talked about his game you could feel the love and work they poured into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom