• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Finals |OT| Some dude guarantees they will win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
who guards wade? Green? lol he will fall for his up fake every single time

Leonard can lock wade and goDiaw can guard LeBron
Green is an underrated defender, and he knows how to use a player's instincts against him, a la Richard Sherman. I don't think they'll put him on Wade, but if he ever winds up on him, I'm willing to bet money that he doesn't bite on the headfake.

This is hilarious

kiddynamo-badcatch.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
2014-15

Championship: Thunder over Cavs in 7
Season MVP: Kevin Durant
Notable retirements at season's end: Ray Allen, Chauncey Billups, Kenyon Martin
Hall of Fame induction: Ray Allen

The first Doomsday Draft Class arrives, but it is not yet known by this name. General managers across the league reason that it's simply a bad-luck draft class, and that such classes come around once in a while.

There is no fooling the basketball gods, however. Out of apparent recognition that something has gone very wrong, the Association throws a post-draft fit in the offseason, and the result is the most annoying free-agency period of all time. Kobe Bryant signs with the Spurs. The Lakers, sparing no expense to fill his shoes, acquire LeBron James.

2016-17

Championship: Lakers over Cavs in 7
Season MVP: LeBron James
Notable retirements at season's end: Elton Brand, Manu Ginobili, Kevin Garnett, Stephen Jackson
Hall of Fame inductions: Tracy McGrady, Kevin Garnett

Oddly, despite not having played a minute since the 2011-12 season, Tracy McGrady is just now entering the Hall of Fame. Manu Ginobili's snub is rather difficult to explain.

LeBron James and the Lakers win the Finals, again, over the Cavs, again, in seven games, again. It's almost as though the game is squeezing out all the poetry it can, while it still can.
2025-26

Championship: Hawks over Nuggets in 5
Season MVP: Kyrie Irving
Notable retirements at season's end: Stephen Curry, Kenneth Faried, Tyreke Evans, Russell Westbrook
Hall of Fame inductions: Tyreke Evans, Russell Westbrook

The last remaining skeptics now acknowledge that the Doomsday Phenomenon is very real. It must be, because the Atlanta Hawks have won an NBA championship.

chart4-2.png

So good.

Lolkets, dumb move

I can see Miami go after him since Battier is retiring, just tell the big 3 to take some pay cuts and you can be even better next season

Or Ainge goes for love x parsons

effzee

Don't think I made my official prediction so here it is:

I think Spurs take it in 6. I am rooting for the Heat especially cause of the hate for Lebron still, but I just don't think they have enough outside of the big 3. Their defense is also too on and off this year.

Hope I am wrong.

Houston plans to pursue the major stars who could be available upon opting out of deals, including Miami's LeBron James and Chris Bosh, and New York's Carmelo Anthony, league sources said. Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki is expected to be a target too.

The Rockets are pursuing Minnesota's Kevin Love in trade talks too, and Parsons could hold sign-and-trade possibilities.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...im-a-restricted-free-agent-022721563-nba.html

Wha:0

why in the world would Chandler Parsons go to Minny? He's gonna get paid regardless.

who guards wade? Green? lol he will fall for his up fake every single time

Leonard can lock wade and goDiaw can guard LeBron

What funny about it? Danny Green guarded Kenvin Durant in the last 2 games. If he can guard Durant I don't see why he can't guard Wade. The Spurs will rotate defenders on both LeBron and Wade, so don't be surprise if those two end up against combination of Leonard, Diaw, Green, Ginobili, and probably Duncan. The Spurs never want to stop superstars like LeBron and Wade. They want to make those two work hard for their shots and run out of tank. It totally worked against the Blazers and OKC.

Houston plans to pursue the major stars who could be available upon opting out of deals, including Miami's LeBron James and Chris Bosh, and New York's Carmelo Anthony, league sources said. Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki is expected to be a target too.

The Rockets are pursuing Minnesota's Kevin Love in trade talks too, and Parsons could hold sign-and-trade possibilities.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...im-a-restricted-free-agent-022721563-nba.html

Wha:0

Houston is a fucking mess. They have all the pieces to be a championship contender team but they need a coach who can make them play as a fucking team. McHale has to go. This dude has no balls. All he does is following Harden's command like a dog and let him do whatever he wants. Go watch the play Damion Lillard nailed the buzzer-beater. What kind of coach could allow possibly the worst defender of their team to adjust defensive strategy of what could be the last play of their season? Pathetic.

Kanguro

Neo Member
How are the Spurs still favored? It's hard to believe the public isn't all over Miami

Spurs have looked better. Of course they looked better last year too. It all comes down to:

- How much is a healthier Wade going to impact the game?
- How much better are Kawhi, Green and Spliter this year?
- How will Bosh's rising confidence and new found 3 point range affect spacing on the floor?
- How worn down is LeBron (especially on the defensive end)?
- How healthy is TP?

At the end of the day these teams effectively played each other to a draw last year, given that the Spurs now have home court and have played better all year they should be favored.

The one thing I will say for the Heat is: mentally they seem completely different from last year's team. They have shown a level of professionalism, consistency and trust in each other during the playoffs that you only see in a proven championship team. They're not going to panic and will absolutely steal this if the Spurs don't play their absolute best.

Cloudy

Banned
Re-watching the Allen 3 at the end of gm 6 last year. Manu tried to flop on the rebound and compromised the whole Spurs defense. If he just keeps playing, they probably win

Re-watching the Allen 3 at the end of gm 6 last year. Manu tried to flop on the rebound and compromised the whole Spurs defense. If he just keeps playing, they probably win

Did you read this feature, too? because that makes me want to rewatch that whole 4th quarter again and the game in general.

I remember being in a Barcade in Philly watching this game with some of my girlfriend's friends. They were being very nice to me when it was about to end. "hey, there's always next year." hah, watching the rest of that game was almost asking for a heart attack.

Cloudy

Banned
Did you read this feature, too? because that makes me want to rewatch that whole 4th quarter again and the game in general.

I remember being in a Barcade in Philly watching this game with some of my girlfriend's friends. They were being very nice to me when it was about to end. "hey, there's always next year." hah, watching the rest of that game was almost asking for a heart attack.

No. I just watched the video on ESPN's front page. I'll check that out

J2 Cool

Are Spurs favored? Pretty weird. Subjectively I got the Spurs, but objectively you always bet on the best player and defending champions in this situation. The Heat haven't exactly looked bad either. (plus Tony Parker health question)

Kevin Love made an All-NBA team again? Wow. Two-time All-NBA player, but will he ever make it to the playoffs? No Westbrook, Wall, nor DeRozan? I'm confused. Every other year this award goes from being a "team award" to a "player award."

Jonm1010

Banned
Honestly Manu did a lot of stupid that series and played really inconsistently. Pop also had some questionable decisions.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Honestly Manu did a lot of stupid that series and played really inconsistently. Pop also had some questionable decisions.

Yep! Manu and Pop's decision to not have Duncan in to rebound, after Vogel got burned by doing the same thing with Hibbert, cost them the series.

Yep! Manu and Pop's decision to not have Duncan in to rebound, after Vogel got burned by doing the same thing with Hibbert, cost them the series.
Pop said he's made that move many times and he'd make it again.

I would never question Pop's coaching, he has quite the résumé.

Sandfox

Won't Houston have Jeremy Lin coming off the books as well to free up some cap space when they need to re sign parsons?

Lin still has another year on his contract and they can already pay Parsons if they want. Houston is likely putting themselves in a situation where they can pick up a big name player through a trade or something.

Pimpwerx

Next you will tell me he should have kept playing drunk Ginoboli. He fucked up royally taking out Duncan.
You play the numbers, not the result. You're playing to defend the first shot, not grab a rebound. That rebound might not happen if he puts the wrong personnel on the floor and gets beat by a 3. It's why Vogel and Pop both made the same "mistake" in the same moments. You defend the shot, which worked. You live with the consequences. People keep playing the results of those two games, but would be shitting their pants having to make that call themselves. Both coaches made the right call IMO. Vogel trusts PG won't be a turnstile on the inbound, and Pop trusts a forward maligned for playing soft wouldn't grab a rebound over half his lineup. Hindsight is conveniently 20/20. PEACE.

bionic77

Spurs missed a lot of free throws down the stretch. Should not have even come down to that rebound.

I think they missed like 3 FTs in the last 2 minutes I want to say. Someone fact check that.

they missed two in the last minute, Leonard missed the first ft and manu missed a second free throw

if Heat go down by double digits in any game i can see LeBron take off his headband, that gave him super powers but made him have two turnovers in the final minute :p

Manu wears LeBron nike shoes so nike paid Manu to take a dive , logic

Vestal

Gold Member
This thread will be fun tomorrow night when the Heat take game 1.
That would make first take on Friday "day after game 6" levels.

bionic77

Manu was one of the worst players on the floor last year. It was sad watching how bad he was in the Finals.

I thought he was washed up but he has turned it around this year. That could be huge for the Spurs. After Lebron and Ray Manu was probably the next most valuable player for the Heat in those finals.

Cipherr

Pop said he's made that move many times and he'd make it again.

I would never question Pop's coaching, he has quite the résumé.

They were playing against the three IIRC. Its a valid coaching decision. A 2 didn't do anything for Miami there, so he took out a bit of his paint protection for more perimeter defense; against a team that is notoriously AWFUL at offensive rebounding period.

Its only a 'horrific coaching mistake' in hindsight. Had it worked out no one would have questioned it at all.

Vestal

Gold Member
They were playing against the three IIRC. Its a valid coaching decision. A 2 didn't do anything for Miami there, so he took out a bit of his paint protection for more perimeter defense; against a team that is notoriously AWFUL at offensive rebounding period.

Its only a 'horrific coaching mistake' in hindsight. Had it worked out no one would have questioned it at all.

The problem I had is that it happened on two possessions in a row.
It was a coaching mistake. You can live with a bosh 3, not back to back offensive rebounds leading to 3s.

Tom Penny

You play the numbers, not the result. You're playing to defend the first shot, not grab a rebound. That rebound might not happen if he puts the wrong personnel on the floor and gets beat by a 3. It's why Vogel and Pop both made the same "mistake" in the same moments. You defend the shot, which worked. You live with the consequences. People keep playing the results of those two games, but would be shitting their pants having to make that call themselves. Both coaches made the right call IMO. Vogel trusts PG won't be a turnstile on the inbound, and Pop trusts a forward maligned for playing soft wouldn't grab a rebound over half his lineup. Hindsight is conveniently 20/20. PEACE.

Worrying about Bosh hitting a 3 is the opposite of playing the percentages.

Fjordson

Kevin Love made an All-NBA team again? Wow. Two-time All-NBA player, but will he ever make it to the playoffs? No Westbrook, Wall, nor DeRozan? I'm confused. Every other year this award goes from being a "team award" to a "player award."
Isn't all-NBA just best individual players? Best five players on first team for their positions, next best five for second team, and so on.

And they probably left out Westbrook because of all the time he missed, but I would definitely say he's a top 15 player.

Spinluck

Manu was one of the worst players on the floor last year. It was sad watching how bad he was in the Finals.

I thought he was washed up but he has turned it around this year. That could be huge for the Spurs. After Lebron and Ray Manu was probably the next most valuable player for the Heat in those finals.

Don't forget Splitter. Not as bad as Manu was, but boy was he fucking trash when they needed him.

The game tomorrow and the comng GoT episode is making me antsy as fuck. I think I would need a beer or two to be ablt to sleep tonight.

It should be a player award. Kevin Love is a far better player than DeRozan and Wall, and if he'd played in the East like those guys he would have made the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom