• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Finals |OT| Some dude guarantees they will win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Penny

Nah. I still don't believe it and I love Duncan. He is top 20 for me coming in at like 16. Of this generation he is up there. But I can't forget people like Oscar, Shaq, The Doctor, etc., either. I'd have to do my list. He might make top 15 no doubt.

iymuQFi.gif

IDK man SOME people people don't seem like they care much for history. Oscar is definitely going before Duncan sorry. At any rate you are talking to a HUGE Duncan fan so...... I'm not offended.

Robertson is regarded as one of the greatest players in NBA history, a triple threat who could score inside, outside and also was a stellar playmaker. His rookie scoring average of 30.5 points per game is the third highest of any rookie in NBA history, and Robertson averaged more than 30 points per game in six of his first seven seasons.[1] Only two other players in the NBA have had more 30+ point per game seasons in their career. Robertson was the first player to average more than 10 assists per game, doing so at a time when the criteria for assists were more stringent than today.[3] Furthermore, Robertson is the only guard in NBA history to ever average more than 10 rebounds per game, doing so three times. In addition to his 1964 regular season MVP award, Robertson won three All-Star Game MVPs in his career (in 1961, 1964, and 1969). He ended his career with 26,710 points (25.7 per game, ninth-highest all time), 9,887 assists (9.5 per game) and 7,804 rebounds (7.5 per game).[1] He led the league in assists six times, and at the time of his retirement, he was the NBA's all-time leader in career assists and free throws made, and was the second all-time leading scorer behind Wilt Chamberlain.[3]

Robertson also set yardsticks in versatility. If his first five NBA seasons are strung together, Robertson averaged a triple-double over those, averaging 30.3 points, 10.4 rebounds and 10.6 assists.[22] For his career, Robertson had 181 triple-doubles, a record that has never been approached.

effzee

I knew they would lose but never expected the lack of passion, energy, and defensive effort. Pathetic.

And it was everyone playing terrible in turn. James tried in the 3rd but it was already too late.

I'm shocked at the terrible start by Wade and Chalmers especially. Miami seemed to play 10 times better in SA. And it's one thing to be out rebounded cause of the style you play and size but a lot of rebounding is about heart. Miami went from making me think they could have been up 2-0 to wondering if that was a different team all together.

Predicted Spurs in 6 but it's already over.

Cloudy

Banned
2x MVP
2x Finals MVP
5x Champion

I think that beats any player in the league right now. Better than Kobe and Shaq.

Kobe has those same accolades with MUCH better stats while beating Duncan's brains in several times in the playoffs.

Duncan hasn't even won his 5th yet lol. Not sure why folks are talking up his legacy already as shitty as he's been this series...

Doomsayer

He has played in a GREAT system man. Individually, while his achievements are greatness, they are still overshadowed by a couple guys in MY book. Top 15 or 20 is nothing to scoff at when the differences are at many times just personal. Putting him top 5 is batshit insane to me though.

There are definitely guys Duncan cannot handle in that top 10.

Are you fucking kidding me right now?

Duncan is a top 10 player of all time and the greatest PF in the history of the NBA. You can make a legitimate argument for top 5 - and saying he's top 15 or 20 is downright dumb.

Perfect response.

Heat fans. I am going to throw names at you to upgrade at point guard position. Ramon Sessions and Darren Collision. Thoughts? Riley needs to let Chalmers go. Heat need a PG that can attack the basket, create their own shot, and pass it out. All of which Chalmers doesn't do. These other guards I mentioned are not the best at doing all 3, but better than Chalmers.

welp congrats spurs on your new title.

3 in a row against this team is statistically impossible. we had a good run. couldn't have lost to a better, nicer team.

they deserve the props !

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Duncan ain't better than Kobe or Shaq. Hell, all three of these dudes have already battled in the playoffs. This debate has already been settled on the hardwood.

Let it go.

Pimpwerx

LeBron is the biggest business first guy in the NBA. His family isn't Wade and Bosh, its his little bro-circle.

This team doesn't look nearly as good as it did last year. They have no real point guard. No quality bigs. Wade looks awful at both ends. Spo apparently enjoys reducing Bosh to a 3pt shooter even with Ray and Allen being better at it. I don't think anyone is giving up millions, and i doubt anyone would take Wade @ 20 million after all this.

Not exactly seeing much reason for him to stay if he can team up with Melo somewhere else this year.

The Heat could still get hot and somehow win the series, but even that wouldn't change the reality of what we're seeing, and it'll only be worse next year.
Not to be dismissive, but Bron's business has bloomed since coming here and winning. All the issues you mention can be addressed on free agency, where the Big3 opting out would allow Riley to swing the biggest stick. And Wade may not be young Wade, but he's still one of the best players in the league when healthy. And though everyone is an expert on it, no one can accurately put a date on when he becomes bad. There's also nothing to suggest Bron even shares those doubt's or concerns. He isn't leaving the chemistry and winning culture he is a part of down here. It's just not gonna happen. People should read or listen to the Heat beat down here. I don't even think Windy believes he's going anywhere, and he's been the biggest proponent. PEACE.

Good god Miami.

This should end the debate on who is a better Basketball player. Le Bron is to me, phsyically better than Jordan but man, Jordan is a winner. He doesn't take this kind of shit.

Dr.Acula

Banned
He is a 9-time allstar with 2 rings. He is a HOFer

If Allen, Wade, LeBron, Parker, Ginobili, or Duncan retired today, they would be in the Hall for sure. Bosh? He still needs to keep playing at a high level for a few more years. If he gets a Rose-like injury and his career just stalls? He'll be on the outside looking in.

Mxrz

Lebron is too self conscience to leave another team and become the consensus NBA villain again.

And let's be honest, Melo isn't exactly the brightest player. Hasn't exactly been the smartest player when it comes to his career, the more I think about I can completely see him trying to coattail the heat and not realizing all the things you just said.

NYC would bend over and shake it if Lebron rolled to the Knicks. Ditto with most teams. The LeBron haters are going to hate no matter what he does, and he might pick up a few extras in Miami, but can't see it mattering much.

Man, if only Lebron had help. 2 Hall of famers and an all-star ain't gonna cut it. Kobe and Jordan never had so little help. I mean, sure, Kobe went to three finals and won two titles back to back with only one hall of famer and did so in a tougher conference, but that doesn't count because I just decided so. LeBron needs help, period.

Hopefully next year he can finally get on a team with some talent and a front office that actually tries. OKC? Spurs maybe? He's already better than Jordan and Kobe he just needs help. It's not fair.

To be fair, who on this Heat team has played like a HoFer? Its like when Malone and Rodman were Lakers. "Entire team of HOFers and Kobe couldn't get it done!"

Are you fucking kidding me right now?

Duncan is a top 10 player of all time and the greatest PF in the history of the NBA. You can make a legitimate argument for top 5 - and saying he's top 15 or 20 is downright dumb.

You can keep your opinions. I don't have many PFs in my top 15 anyway. Like I said I'd HAVE to redo my list. He ranks anywhere from 10-20 okay. My personal list.

Tom Penny

IDK man SOME people people don't seem like they care much for history. Oscar is definitely going before Duncan sorry. At any rate you are talking to a HUGE Duncan fan so...... I'm not offended.

Robertson is regarded as one of the greatest players in NBA history, a triple threat who could score inside, outside and also was a stellar playmaker. His rookie scoring average of 30.5 points per game is the third highest of any rookie in NBA history, and Robertson averaged more than 30 points per game in six of his first seven seasons.[1] Only two other players in the NBA have had more 30+ point per game seasons in their career. Robertson was the first player to average more than 10 assists per game, doing so at a time when the criteria for assists were more stringent than today.[3] Furthermore, Robertson is the only guard in NBA history to ever average more than 10 rebounds per game, doing so three times. In addition to his 1964 regular season MVP award, Robertson won three All-Star Game MVPs in his career (in 1961, 1964, and 1969). He ended his career with 26,710 points (25.7 per game, ninth-highest all time), 9,887 assists (9.5 per game) and 7,804 rebounds (7.5 per game).[1] He led the league in assists six times, and at the time of his retirement, he was the NBA's all-time leader in career assists and free throws made, and was the second all-time leading scorer behind Wilt Chamberlain.[3]

Robertson also set yardsticks in versatility. If his first five NBA seasons are strung together, Robertson averaged a triple-double over those, averaging 30.3 points, 10.4 rebounds and 10.6 assists.[22] For his career, Robertson had 181 triple-doubles, a record that has never been approached.

Name the other 14 better than Duncan..Duncan the 16th best player is utterly laughable. Double double machine and easily one one of the best players in history on the defensive end.

Redd

So NBAGAF answer me this. If the Heat some how pull out a come back and win in 7, what will you say then?

Lebron imo can arguably be called greatest of all time. Three peat and down 1-3. Without a doubt he would. The question is CAN he put the team on his back and get it back to Miami for a game 6.

zychi

Banned
Not to be dismissive, but Bron's business has bloomed since coming here and winning. All the issues you mention can be addressed on free agency, where the Big3 opting out would allow Riley to swing the biggest stick. And Wade may not be young Wade, but he's still one of the best players in the league when healthy. And though everyone is an expert on it, no one can accurately put a date on when he becomes bad. There's also nothing to suggest Bron even shares those doubt's or concerns. He isn't leaving the chemistry and winning culture he is a part of down here. It's just not gonna happen. People should read or listen to the Heat beat down here. I don't even think Windy believes he's going anywhere, and he's been the biggest proponent. PEACE.

I don't think Bron leaves either. Bosh or Wade might be gone, but Bron runs Miami now. If he wants Melo, Love and/or Rondo, they're coming down by him. He's basically the GM at this point.

Pimpwerx

Perfect response.

Heat fans. I am going to throw names at you to upgrade at point guard position. Ramon Sessions and Darren Collision. Thoughts? Riley needs to let Chalmers go. Heat need a PG that can attack the basket, create their own shot, and pass it out. All of which Chalmers doesn't do. These other guards I mentioned are not the best at doing all 3, but better than Chalmers.
No to sessions. Collision would just be a quicker Mario with less active hands. Not sure we need to make sideways moves there. I'd honestly rather keep Rio at that rate, if he stays at $4M. PEACE.

chessnut

He has played in a GREAT system man. Individually, while his achievements are greatness, they are still overshadowed by a couple guys in MY book. Top 15 or 20 is nothing to scoff at when the differences are at many times just personal. Putting him top 5 is batshit insane to me though.

There are definitely guys Duncan cannot handle in that top 10.

The fact that Duncan understands that basketball is a team game and knows that he needs to fill his role for the team to succeed is a reason why you should rank him high. I don't know why you're lowering his rank because of it

Cloudy

Banned
Le Bron is to me, phsyically better than Jordan but man, Jordan is a winner. He doesn't take this kind of shit.

That's the one thing I dislike about Bron's game. He rarely breaks the offense to keep his team in games. Jordan or Kobe would have shot 35 times in a game like this...

Vestal

Gold Member
What about these last two games realistically makes you think this could happen?

There are some adjustments and some signs of things that could work going forward. Particularly going back to the traditional Lineup of Rio, Wade, Bron, Haslem and Bosh or go pg-less with Allen or Bats instead of Rio.

zychi

Banned
ESPN and Heatgaf love their Lebron stats when he does good, but don't say shit when he does bad.

How bout deez stats:
Bp-zsk4CcAAND8D.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom