• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 Microsoft E3 Conference

How many shirts will Phil Spencer wear?

Results are only viewable after voting.

jem0208

I thought it was a seriously solid conference 9/10, or an 'A' I guess.

Plus points:
- Halo looked awesome as expected
- Forza looked sooooo good
- Backwards compatibility is HUGE and super awesome
- Elite controller is very, very cool (shame about the price...)
- HoloLens looks really impressive as always
- Some of the indies looked gorgeous and really interesting
- Mods for Fallout is insane! No idea how they're planning on implementing it but damn. Also the new gameplay was nice.
- Rare Replay looks like amazing value for money and I'll finally get to try these games everyone's going on about

So-so points:
- Gears demo was kinda boring. However I am liking what appears to be a higher focus on creepy atmosphere
- Tomb Raider demo was also kinda boring
- Xbox early access. I'm both very excited for and dreading this. On the one hand I get to play Elite Dangerous on my Xbox, on the other hand if it isn't properly curated it could overflow with shit.

A few things I'm intrigued by:
- Rare's pirate game looks very interesting.
- Recore, whilst it was a CG trailer, did seem to have a very nice art style. I love deserts.
- Ion looks awesome because space however the chance of it ever being finished are basically nil.
- Ashlen looked gorgeous, very curious how this will turn out.

Overall extremely good IMO.

Agreed, a lot of the big gameplay reveals fell flat. Ending the conference on that drab gears 4 demo especially left me feeling a bit hollow despite some of the good stuff that came before it (dat rare replay).

Was a pretty good conference for ppl who already own an Xbox One and are interested in Xbox IPs.

But for those on the fence between PS4 and Xbox One (someone like me) it did absolutely nothing to make me want an Xbox One. Hopefully Sony's conference will be more lively. I hope Nintendo's showings are also great, but it looks like I may be waiting another year before getting a "real" next gen console (I already have a Wii U).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
"With over 100 titles slated for this fall, and hundreds more added every month"

key word: over

Then why not say over 200?

This just seems all too similar to what Sony did with their second model backwards compatibility only with more fanfare.

AaronB

As a primarily Nintendo/PC gamer, they showed enough to make me want an XB1 more than a PS4 at this point, though it will probably be at least a year before I buy either. No true home runs, but the BC is a big deal because I've never owned a 360 (I'd love to play Lost Odyssey). Another huge factor is Scalebound, which they said they'd show later. Having games like that and Crackdown but not showing them makes it seem like they have a lot of ammo - unless they've fallen into development hell.

Chris1

If we're rating, it's a hard zero from me as there wasn't a single mention of Phantom Dust. That suggests to me it's dead and I'll never forgive MS for getting my hopes up about it making a come back...

I forgot about that.. Yeah, I think PD is truly dead now. If it was still in developmentthey would have shown another teaser just to say "see, it's not dead"

RIP.

Amir0x

Banned
● Xbox One Elite Controller has been announced, for $150. Includes paddles, swappable joysticks, carrying case, "hair-trigger" and is remappable with companion app. Available Fall. (Link, Thread)
● Rare Replay announced for XBO. Spectrum games have a rewind feature. 30 games including Battletoads, Blast Corps, etc. Milestone system for games that don't already have achievements tied to it on XBL. (Link, Thread)
● Sea of Thieves announced for XBO from Rare. It's a First-person pirate MMO apparently. (Link, Thread)
● Xbox 360 Backwards compatibility announced for XBO. Works with discs, downloads, 100s of games, publishers need to approve but no cost required. Pretty rad. (Link, Thread)
● ReCore, developed by Keiji Inafune's company Comcept and Metroid Prime's Armature studio, is for XBO and coming Spring 2016. Woman wanders wasteland with robot dog, until a fight occurs. Looks interesting. (Link, Thread)
● The Division will have an open beta coming to XBO this December. Also check out the E3 trailer. (Link, Thread)
● Tacoma, from Gone Home developer Fullbright, is coming to XBO/PC/Mac/Linux and is a timed exclusive. Trailer shows A.I. Odin supporting the protagonist Amy Ferrier. (Link, Thread)
● Beyond Eyes, Tiger and Squid's adventure game, is coming first to XBO this summer. Players must guide a 10-year old blind girl through unfamiliar territory. (Link, Thread)
● Ion, from the creator of DayZ, is coming first to XBO/PC. Timed exclusive. Trailer shows space, and drops hints about body switching mechanics. (Link, Thread)
● Rise of the Tomb Raider, timed exclusive on XBO/PC, has a new E3 gameplay trailer. Out November 10, 2015. (Link, Thread)
● Fable Legends will release this Holiday 2015, and there's a new E3 trailer for consumption. (Link, Thread)
● Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, a remake of the first Gears game, will be available August 25th as previously reported. Check out E3 trailer. (Link, Thread)
● Gears of War 4 got a gameplay blowout for E3! Crazy graphics. Available sometime Holiday 2016. (Link, Thread)

Did I miss any of the exclusive stuff? I got the multiplatform stuff I think, but let me know if I missed any exclusive stuff since I wasn't here for the conference.

oldergamer

8.5 out of 10 for me. Good showing focused on what I was expecting.I don't need to see vr as its not going to impress me, but the ar demo looked cool.

Amir0x

Banned
Having games like that and Crackdown but not showing them makes it seem like they have a lot of ammo - unless they've fallen into development hell.

Can't be in development hell since Crackdown, Scalebound and Quantum Break have all been announced to have big Gamescom showings in two months.

Can't be in development hell since Crackdown, Scalebound and Quantum Break have all been announced to have big Gamescom showings in two months.

This...

Solid 8 for the prescon should have cut EA and ubisoft and give that Time to showcase their exclusives better.

Grinchy

Banned
That was really boring outside of the Minecraft Hololens thing. If that was as real as they said it was, holy fuck! Amazing.

cj_iwakura

MS said they weren't showing QB at E3. Phantom Dust is probably dead. And D4 is already out, they're not going to show it at E3 again just because there's a new episode coming.

Then instead they were left with no surprises. Yay.

I could just be bitter because I really, REALLY wanted Phantom Dust.

Oh well. They can't take the original from me.

I'll give it an A+

- Halo 5: Guardians looked spectacular!!!!. A bit linear, but such a rich scenarios. I would buy 10 fucking copies.
- ReCore surprised me. I really liked the concept, need gameplay though.
- BC Megaton (RIP PSNow).
- Elite Edition Controller. Looks absolutely awesome, it's a nice option for hardcore players, but it's too expensive. Not buying it :(
- Fallout 4 (+Fallout 3) + Mods Compatibility = Nuclear Awesomeness
- EA Access Vault: Titanfall & Dragon Age Inquisition. I already own Titanfall, but I'll get DA.
- Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 looked fun, not my style.
- F6 was astonishing. SOLD
- Dark Souls 3 2016 Trailer Gameplay SOLD
- The Downgradeation by Ubilol. Not buying.
- Rainbow Six (+ Rainbow Six Las Vegas 1 & 2 for free). Nice deal but I don't like Rainbow Six games.
- Gigantic looked fun.
- Indies. My highlights: Solus, Below, Ark Survival Evolved, SuperHot, Tacoma, Ashen, Cuphead.
- Xbox Game Preview: nice feature.
- DayZ for Xbox One. Yeeesss
- Elite: Dangerous available now on Xbox One. Yeeesss
- Ion. Nice concept, but I need actual gameplay footage.
- Raise of The Tomb Raider, freakin' awesome.
- RAREEEEEEEEEEE REPLAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY AWWWWWYEEEAAAAHH.
- RARE's new IP Sea of Thieves. DAT WATER. AWWW YEEEAAAAAHHHHH.
- Fable Legends looked reeeaaally good. Upgraded graphics.
- HoloLens Minecraft demo was mindblowing.
- Gears of War: Ultimate Edition. I'm already in the Beta.
- Gears of War 4. Outstanding graphics. Glad gears is back.

The best xbox conference in the last years. Wasn't expecting I would enjoy it so much.

Did I miss any of the exclusive stuff? I got the multiplatform stuff I think, but let me know if I missed any exclusive stuff since I wasn't here for the conference.

Ashen - console exclusive
Cuphead - console exclusive
Fallout 4 - free Fallout 3 with purchase
Rainbow Six Seige - free Vegas 1 & 2 with purchase

Amir0x

Banned
Ashen - console exclusive
Cuphead - console exclusive
Fallout 4 - free Fallout 3 with purchase and console exclusive mod support
Rainbow Six Seige - free Vegas 1 & 2 with purchase

no console exclusive mod support; first XBO mod, then PC, then PS4.

I thought Cuphead was already a console exclusive since last E3, but I'll add that just in case

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So what was that Valve partnership stuff about? I remember them saying it but never showed anything.

Seems like MS is going to help standardize VR... kind of like what they did with directx... to stop the branching paths and multiple development targets

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So what was that Valve partnership stuff about? I remember them saying it but never showed anything.

Mainly PC based I believe. It was a quip mention about Windows 10.

MSFT has been pretty "misleading" (coy) by mentioning PC centric stuff for a couple of seconds during the XBox conferences (which have traditionally been about the consoles). And it will get more confusing as they combine both divisions under the XBox motif, with no real explanations to separate what they really mean.

It is a clear PR tactic, and smart move to smother the "underpowered" compared to the competition narrative that still floats around.

For a whole year the public (less technology adept gamers) has been bamboozled into thinking DX12 was going supercharge the XBox One with their vague explanations, when it was clearly meant for the PC for "sick gains".

wig

I'd give it a 7/10. I was ecstatic when they announced backwards compatibility but then as I got more details about the less excited I became. Only ~approved games like the 360. Great I guess. New controller looks neat but I don't play my X1 that much to justify a purchase. Halo looks great, as does Forza, Gears, Fable, ROTR, etc. but we've known about all of these games for months/years. Lack of surprise announcements left me bitter.

Sitris

Pretty solid, really enjoyed the new ip reveals, ReCore looks very intriguing I will keep an eye on that one.

Thought the Halo 5 gameplay was alright, honestly felt like I was watching a cod reveal with the floor falling away segment! Coop reminds me of destiny (obviously!) and the graphics look very solid.

Gears looked... Early? I think it is going to be a solid entry, bringing the franchise back to its roots which is a great thing. But it didn't impress me in terms of gameplay in this reveal.

Over all, solid show, had some good surprises and exciting new ip reveals, exactly what MS needed!

OCD Guy

. Lack of surprise announcements left me bitter.

Despite the initial concern about Andrew House's statement saying "1st party line up is sparse", I honestly think the PS4 E3 is going to surprise many people.

I personally don't think Microsofts "greatest lineup in Xbox history" was appropriate. It wasn't bad, it was a solid performance but nothing that makes me think wow.

And in Xbox history there's been a better lineup personally.

Quazar

Seems like MS is going to help standardize VR... kind of like what they did with directx... to stop the branching paths and multiple development targets

Makes sense I guess. But MS and Valve partnership was something I never thought I would hear. Weird how fast they moved on after saying it as well.

Quazar

Despite the initial concern about Andrew House's statement saying "1st party line up is sparse", I honestly think the PS4 E3 is going to surprise many people.

I personally don't think Microsofts "greatest lineup in Xbox history" was appropriate. It wasn't bad, it was a solid performance but nothing that makes me think wow.

And in Xbox history there's been a better lineup personally.

Yea, call me strange but gamescom seems to be the more interesting showing for them this year.

guek

Banned
Was wanting something big to make me want an Xbox One. I almost pulled the trigger last year but didnt and wont be after this years E3.
Pretty much my line of thinking exactly. The fact that I have a decent PC for gaming removes most of my incentive already. MS really went after their base this year, which has never really included me.

It was a decent conference overall.

I completely agree with you here. This is what I want from Gears 4.

Yup. Not sure I'd care if it was just more of Gears 3. I want something similar to Gears 1 but more oppressive. I want the world to feel like it's truly at war for its very existence and you're never really safe...

Top Bottom