• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343: Halo 5 beta runs at 720p/60FPS, focused on gameplay, not final resolution

StuBurns

Banned
Yes totally irrelevant and no lies whatsoever. we should ignore that the game was propped up as a 1080p game 8 months ago when it clearly can't hit it, at least in the visuals they want to show.

The game is not out. It isn't 1080p or any other resolution. It's an upcoming product, which will be a resolution at launch, but until it launches, they can't have possibly lied about it.

I'm not saying it will be irrelevant. If it launches at sub-1080p, and they did promise it'd be 1080p, fine, let's have a thread about it at that time. This is not Halo 5, it is a beta for a fraction of the multiplayer suite.

null_

Banned
The link you just posted has single publisher saying "yea, it could happen in the future" with no confirmation or tentative goal whatsoever. You also don't even have 343 parrotting that line. They just said they're taking advantage of the system to bring the best. So, as I said, you have sites like "The Examiner" stretching the truth to get a nice headline, when a publisher (not even a developer) saying that it "could" happen.

Yeah I'm sure it was a site stretching the truth for a headline instead of a coordinated marketing message with plausible deniability for the fanboys...

Welfare

The point is that 1080p 60fps should be locked in for a game like this. Visual clarity and a consistent frame rate are a must. They should remove effects until that is reached and then slowly add things back in and optimize from there.

720p as the baseline doesn't bode well, beta or not.

This isn't like all other AAA beta's where it's 2 months from launch. It's about 1 year from launch, and the focus is on gameplay, not pixels. 60fps is a much more important lock in for this game than 1080p in the beta.

Fine and understandable for the beta, not acceptable for final (and will likely be better by then). That's all there is to say really.

Hoping and expecting 1080p/60fps at final unless there is a huge graphics boost. At current graphics it looks like Halo 4, xbone should be able to handle it just fine after optimization.

not sure that is a good example. most betas come out a month or so before launch. this is a whole year out.

Yeah, I'm looking for real beta's (or even alpha's or whatever term) that were actually run a good amount of time before launch.

Most of the betas these days are really stretching the term, but I'm sure there are some good examples out there.

Destiny on XB1 and that was less than two months before release. 343 has an entire year to up the resolution.

That's a good example of resolution change.

Yes totally irrelevant and no lies whatsoever. we should ignore that the game was propped up as a 1080p game 8 months ago when it clearly can't hit it, at least in the visuals they want to show.

please provide a link from microsoft or 343 saying 1080p/60 8 months ago

Rocketz

Welcome to the age of lowered expectations. Seriously, Halo is MS flagship title. It should be setting the standard for everything else. I'm not a big Halo fan, but this has to be a little disappointing for people who are.

You do release the game is still a year away from release right?

Vire

There is really only one thing I trust 343 with and it's the visuals. I wouldn't worry about it.

TomShoe

Banned
720p WTF?! This is an embarrassment for the likes of Microsoft, can't even get 1080p on your flagship franchise. Everyone at 343i needs to be arrested and put on trial for crimes against the Xbox family. What a travesty. What a disgrace for all of us loyal followers to eventually be shot down after so many years of support. Microsoft has literally nothing left. Pack it up folks, the age of Xbox One is done.

;)

AmyS

People so easily forget devs only have 16 raster operation processors (ROPs) to work with in Xbox One's GPU. With the 853 MHz GPU clock, there's a 13.6 billion pixels/sec fillrate limit. With 60fps and those visuals, they'd be extremely hard pressed to reach 1080p resolution.

Xbox 360 and PS3 GPUs (Xenos and RSX) each had 8 ROPs, at 500 and 550 MHz respectively, thus, 4.0 and 4.4 billion pixel/sec. So Xbox One only has 3 ~ 3.5 x the fillrate of PS360, not a huge leap.

Xbox One's main competitor, its GPU, has 32 ROPs @ 800 MHz, thus 25.6 billion pixels/sec. That's nearly a 2x difference in fillrate, and more of a difference than TFLOPs, where PS4 only has a ~40% advantage.

343i is making a choice, 60fps framerate instead of 1080p, thus, gameplay over visuals.

It's the right choice. I expect final Halo 5 MP to be 900p.

GHG

Gold Member
This isn't like all other AAA beta's where it's 2 months from launch. It's about 1 year from launch, and the focus is on gameplay, not pixels. 60fps is a much more important lock in for this game than 1080p in the beta.

There's no reason not to have both.

resolution doesn't matter since it's a beta. i'm more concerned about that scope on every weapon....i don't like the implications that has. i don't want to basically ADS in halo..everyone who does use it would have an advantage wouldn't they?

Frame rate is usually one of the last things optimized for release, isn't it? They probably just wanted to make sure the beta was 60fps and the easiest way to do that was to lower the rest. It's also a year away.

deeptech

How is this not posted yet?

080zyuod.jpg

Daingurse

I wouldn't be concerned with that res, since it's beta. 60 fps at least offers great game feel, regardless of where the res ends up. Probably will be closer to 900p.

OmegaDL50

Destiny on XB1 and that was less than two months before release. 343 has an entire year to up the resolution.

You'd think someone quoting this for the second time would give some folks to not go into immediate panic mode.

For a game in beta being a year before it's release, you'd think some would get the general idea the game is naturally not going to be representative of it's finished product.

Gestault

Totally fine. I'd bet the final version will be short of 1080p, and so long as IQ has priority overall, I'll be happy. I've been really pleased with what we've seen from the reveal and b-roll footage. I wish most games looked and ran this well a year out.

Smether

I'm not sure that this guy isn't just announcing it now so people don't complain later. Bottom line he is just lowering the expectation so people don't bring it up that this big exclusive game for the Xbox one is not native 1080p.

sinnergy

People stop arguing with these posters that bitch about the 720p in the BETA, you won't win ;)

Even if the final resolution is 900p they will bitch it's not 1080p, and when it's 1080p they will bitch it's not a constant 60 frames per second.

You won't win ;)

The point is that 1080p 60fps should be locked in for a game like this. Visual clarity and a consistent frame rate are a must. They should remove effects until that is reached and then slowly add things back in and optimize from there.

720p as the baseline doesn't bode well, beta or not.

Not to be blunt: but clearly you've never worked in development.

vesvci

Banned
Wow, just wow. 720p? I thought Ghosts being 720p was just stupid ridiculous. I have no words for this, even the beta.

I guess 900p/60fps should be expected. Still disappointing, but not as bad.

StuBurns

Banned
Even if there are 900p displays, 900p is not a HDMI standard, the console can't output it, so you'd get the scaling to 1080p, then downscaling again to 900p. You still don't get per-pixel mapped 'native' resolution.

Welfare

There's no reason not to have both.

What reason is there to have both right now? To satisfy the 1080p or die crowd? To have a bullet point that Xbox One can do 1080p? The focus on this beta is gameplay. 1080p is a non-factor right now, as 720p gets the job done for right now.

AmyS

Developer gets shat on by some for choosing the smoothest gameplay over sharper visuals in a beta. News at 11.

GHG

Gold Member
Not to be blunt: but clearly you've never worked in development.

No I haven't ever worked in games development and will never claim to have. Have you? If so then I would love to be enlightened as to why it wouldn't be possible to do it the way I stated above.

Due to this being the baseline they will likely never reach 1080p.

Top Bottom