• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343: Halo 5 beta runs at 720p/60FPS, focused on gameplay, not final resolution

Jachaos

I don't see the problem. It won't be the final resolution, and 60fps is more important for the Beta. I don't own an Xbox One, but if I were getting in on the Beta, I'd definitely want my Halo to be 60fps. It's a Beta. The optimization you see in the final builds is crazy, anyone who's played builds only a couple months before release build knows there's big improvements to performance. It might not end up 1080p, but it won't end up 720p either.

scoobs

PS4 can't even do 1080/60, what on earth makes people think Halo 5 would be anything close to 1080/60? The fact that 343 said 1080/60 when it was announced was hilarious, and its more hilarious now that the beta is 720/60. It may just be a beta, but there is no way in hell this game reaches 1080/60, not if they want to maintain that framerate.

SRTtoZ

It'll hit 1080.

I highly doubt that considering they never even mentioned 1080p from the getgo. I'd settle on something between 792-900p.

PS4 can't even do 1080/60, what on earth makes people think Halo 5 would be anything close to 1080/60? The fact that 343 said 1080/60 when it was announced was hilarious, and its more hilarious now that the beta is 720/60. It may just be a beta, but there is no way in hell this game reaches 1080/60, not if they want to maintain that framerate.

Anything can do 1080/60 as long as the graphics arent too demanding or you're on PC. Isnt CoD:AW 1080p/60-ish on PS4?

GHG

Gold Member

Its like everyone has forgotten that Forza 5 was 1080/60...

Really? The new COD is locked 1080p/60fps on PS4 in PvP.

scoobs

Really? The new COD is locked 1080p/60fps on PS4 in PvP.

I absolutely love that people called online multipayer "pvp" now. Makes my damn day as a long-time MMO pvper :)

I'll give you CoD, but that game is also ugly as sin IMHO. I expect Halo to look incredible.

RdN

It'd a beta, so it's really OK. But the final game must, under no circumstances, ship on this or 792p. 900p needs to be the minimum.

RexNovis

Banned
Meh. It's a very early beta so no doubt that they will be tweaking performance and resolution prior to release. It's a tad disappointing for those anxious to play the beta but other than that it's a non issue at this point. It is certainly encouraging that they are touting 60FPS though. It seems it is absolutely a priority for them this time around.

Looks like Destiny crossed with Advanced Warfare.
i9y8nsV4kwSSK.gif

MAYBE on paper, in the abstract, but did the footage really seem to you like Destiny and Advanced Warfare? Really?

Really?

SRTtoZ

I absolutely love that people called online multipayer "pvp" now. Makes my damn day as a long-time MMO pvper :)

I'll give you CoD, but that game is also ugly as sin IMHO. I expect Halo to look incredible.

He calls MP CoD "PvP'. I don't. Most people don't. ;)

TLOU Remastered is close to a locked 1080p/60fps and Metro Redux is a 1080p/60fps game. PS4 can clearly handle with that target with good graphics. 1080p/30fps is good enough for me though in most cases.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
720p in 2015 shouldn't even be legal.

60fps is great though.

That's terrible !!!!

It's like playing on an Xbox 360!

NeoGAF

BubbaMc said:
Even if there's no such thing as a native 900p display?
yBcKLIg.jpg

Might want to elaborate on your point there.

so? I'm not having some meltdown saying it's going to be 720p in a year and I'll never buy it. I'm just skeptical there will be a 50-100% increase between beta and final

because there rarely is

Because, he stated this is a purely a gameplay and probably netcode Beta, the graphics dont matter much if at all.
The framerate matters a lot more as that affects gameplay.....im sure they already have an internal build running at 900p or higher but for this Beta which isnt a demo like many other betas....they are just testing out gameplay im hoping more people understand what this specific Beta test is for....theres a very strong chance alot of the textures will be very low res and other graphical options will be very low, because they dont care about the graphics right now....they are focusing on gameplay, which is something we as gamers should be applauding.

I thought they already claimed they were targeting 1080p 60 FPS??
rVUypPl.gif

StuBurns

Banned
That was a bad call though, and Halo 3 was filled with jaggies because of it.
I think it was early enough in the generation that a lot of people were still on CRTs, and it looked pretty amazing on a CRT against other games. That HDR, all those light sources, lush palette, etc. It looks like ass now, but it was nice at the time, for many people anyway.

Anyway, my point was just that Bungie had far weaker hardware to play with, 60 would have been absolutely crippling visually with the game design they favor. 343 made the same decision with their 360 Halo too.

Last-gen saw huge asset leaps, much richer geometry and texture resolutions, much more complex shader work, and all with a big frame resolution jump. There just wasn't the performance to achieve those things and improve performance enough to make 60 viable for most games.

This time developers seem to have latitude with their resources, and they can get away with making it much prettier whilst still providing 60fps. A happy medium I guess.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Dear god WTF is wrong with this gen :/
Batman parity and now "this" 720p60. Holy shit...

Its a gameplay BETA....can you not understand that?
Jesus read the OP and try get it into your head that graphics arent the focus of this Beta.
They are testing gameplay.....textures will probably be shit, a bunch of other shit will be set really really low, cuz they are more concerned about getting the gameplay down right by us......you should be cheering not jeering, a dev is focusing on getting the gameplay right.

Ugly Beta + more Balanced final product vs Amazing Beta + Ohh shit everything is broken final product.

I await your answer.

Bgamer90

Banned
Expecting at least 900p for the final game.

Really don't mind since it's just the beta. Get the gameplay at an acceptable level and then focus on graphics/resolution. Game is still basically a full year away.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Yes totally irrelevant and no lies whatsoever. we should ignore that the game was propped up as a 1080p game 8 months ago when it clearly can't hit it, at least in the visuals they want to show.
...and nothing of value was lost. Toodles!

amardilo

The 60fps thing is great and I'm glad that is the focus but 720p is too low. Hopefully they have about 1 year to go so they have plenty of time to get that resolution up.

I think they might have also been better off holding off the beta a few months to get the resolution up so they can test a version closer to the finalised resolution.

I remember them saying the game would be 60fps but I can't find any mention of them stating it would be 1080p. Do you know when they said this?

I pretty much assumed when at E3 they said the game would be 60 fps it wouldn't be 1080p.

S'all cool. I'm hoping they get it up to X by 1080, like COD AW is using. Maybe even do a full dynamic resolution deal. Not expecting 1080 60, and so long as the game is good and the frame rate is solid I can deal with a lower res.

Kathian

Banned
For this game I don't think the resolution will have too much an impact on the game play. Some games like Battlefield I found it hard to aim long distances for example as it kind of got blurry. Never felt this with Halo.

They can just focus on adding to the game without I guess too much technical worries (within reason).

Doffen

Trying to find where they said it will be 1080p, do you have a link?

If it was releasing in a couple months I would be worried but we are a year away from this game coming out so they have a ton of time to optimize. Plus I would rather have them lock at 60fps then force 1080p. If they can do both that is a bonus but if I had to pick I would say frame rate.

Guessing it's 900p @ 60fps (best case is the 1362x1080 or whatever they did for MCC)

Madness

GAF meltdown in 3...2...1..

Xbox owners have accepted the resolution and the debate has ended. Most know it will always be less than that of the PS4. It's the gameplay now focused on. Solid framerate, decent resolution, all around good experience. If Halo 5 is 900p/60fps, I wouldn't complain. We came from playing 640p, sub 25 frames Halo 3 etc.

virtualS

720p is the resolution at which the XBOX One can push incredible next gen graphics at 60fps. 720p is unacceptable in 2015 though unless you're Nintendo or your games have a similar visual style to theirs.

Top Bottom