• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 dead in Colorado shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynt9

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorado-shooting-spree-gunman-multiple-victims-dead/

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Four people are dead, including a suspected gunman, following a shooting spree in Colorado Springs on Saturday.

Lt. Catherine Buckley says officers were responding to a report of shots being fired when they spotted a suspect matching the description of the person they were trying to find. Buckley says the suspect opened fire, and police fired back.

"I looked out my kitchen window and I saw a man in a green jacket firing an AR-15...waited a few seconds, went out my house, looked to my left and saw a man down the street, probably 50 feet. I started calling him and I called the cops," witness Matt Abshire told The Colorado Springs Gazette.

"Still following him, he's heading left on Platte towards Palmer High School... probably a hundred yards past El Paso Street, he stops, turns to his left, fires four shots, shoots two ladies, one in the jaw, one in chest if I'm not mistaken."

"They yelled, 'Put the gun down,' and he turned around, and that's when they shot at him a good 20 times," she said. "There was a lot of gunfire."

Buckley says the crime scene covers several major downtown streets. Those streets have been shut down while investigators try to figure out what happened. No details were available on the other victims or how they died.

What the fuck, why would he just mow down people with an AR in the streets?

This happened at 8:45 locally (about eight hours ago?) I'm actually a little surprised that I only heard about it within the past hour.

Has this become routine?

SoulUnison

Banned
Ok, so obviously there's a reporting and confirmation bias going on, here, but why is this repeating itself more and more frequently lately, it seems like? Sometimes it feels like we're just sort of mentally breaking down, like, as a species.

What happens if somebody in charge of something major suddenly snaps and wants to do as much damage as possible?
What happens when this kind of random massacre violence happens on a completely different scale and level?

We hear about times we've narrowly avoided nuclear disasters because of somebody at a switch with a conscience. What happens if it goes the other way?

GhaleonEB

This happened at 8:45 locally (about eight hours ago?) I'm actually a little surprised that I only heard about it within the past hour.

Has this become routine?

The US has a mass shooting like this nearly every day, so yeah, it's routine. No less tragic and horrifying and frustrating. :(

shanafan

Has this become routine?

Shootings do happen everyday. It all depends on the severity of the story to be reported on the national news.

Chariot

Ok, so obviously there's a reporting and confirmation bias going on, here, but why is this repeating itself more and more frequently lately, it seems like? Sometimes it feels like we're just sort of mentally breaking down, like, as a species.

What happens if somebody in charge of something major suddenly snaps and wants to do as much damage as possible?
What happens when this kind of random massacre violence happens on a completely different scale and level?

We hear about times we've narrowly avoided nuclear disasters because of somebody at a switch with a conscience. What happens if it goes the other way?
Don't bring our species into this. This is a particular american problem. Places with more deaths in shootings are usually in actual warzones, I doubt any country has that amount of people killing people just by going nuts. And the USA is caught up between their own war propaganda and their capitalism that leaves people on the bottom with little hope. Mental illnesses are shun, poor people are driven into corners and on american entertainment repeats the values of killing "bad" people. And of course the barely limited access to deadly guns for people who want to hurt others.

Somnid

The problem isn't that people are more crazy, the problem is the crazy people have good access to deadly weapons. In places without guns people do this with knives.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole

There's videos of people rampaging in tanks. There are things in place there so I imagine if people do get into a tank it isn't loaded out with shells and shit and most likely there are other things within the military like psych evals and what not that stop that sort of person getting to that stage.

But gun control in the US is just, here ya go, have fun.

bsp

Correct. According to Pew (with data from the CDC and BJS) gun homicides have dropped around 49% in the last 20 years, and non-fatal gun crime has dropped around 75%.

Here is an article about violence decreasing while our perception of it increases.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Why should anyone be able to own an AR-15?

I just don't get it.

ZmlCA5x.png

just googled AR-15

Why in the flying fuck are people allowed to buy that
I shot one of those when in America a while ago at a shooting range. Those were not automatic rifles, so it still shoots one bullet at a time. Going to guess the ones sold are the same. But yeah, it seems pretty idiotic to have guns like that anywhere outside a controlled environment anyway.

For home protection you'd think a handgun would be enough.

bsp

just googled AR-15

Why in the flying fuck are people allowed to buy that

It may seem more scary than your handgun but based on numbers that are most often reported/verified only a small (2-5) percentage of gun violence is committed with an assault weapon. Rather weird.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Correct. According to Pew (with data from the CDC and BJS) gun homicides have dropped around 49% in the last 20 years, and non-fatal gun crime has dropped around 75%.

Here is an article about violence decreasing while our perception of it increases.

General gun violence is decreasing, but 'mass shootings' tend to be on the rise. And those will of course be more widely reported than a random gun death. So, overall we are safer. But the psychological impact of knowing a random person can go on a killing spree overrides that fact.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Why should anyone be able to own an AR-15?

I just don't get it.

eKX160Z.jpg
I own one. And love it. I know a lot of people that own them. They're fun to shoot. Not everyone is deranged. And what makes it more dangerous than any other semi-automatic handgun besides a higher capacity?

KodaRuss

These are sad times. We have a serious gun problem but the mental health problems that these individuals have are just scary.

I shot one of those when in America a while ago at a shooting range. Those were not automatic rifles, so it still shoots one bullet at a time. Going to guess the ones sold are the same. But yeah, it seems pretty idiotic to have guns like that anywhere outside a controlled environment anyway.

For home protection you'd think a handgun would be enough.
ARs can be illegally modified to fire full auto. But yeah, no reason to own one outside of hunting maybe.

zeemumu

In what situation would an AR-15 be an appropriate amount of firepower? I suppose you could hunt with it as long as it's not modified to auto.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Explain why this is any more dangerous than any other gun other than it looks tacticool.

It appears to have a very large clip which would make it a more efficient killing machine.

I'd like killing machines to be less efficient.

JoseLopez

This beyond fucked fucking animals. I'm glad I live in massachussetts since this never happens here but still it's a matter of time it does.

I am stuck in a timewarp?
I'm on a mass shooting post again.
This really is enough! Something needs to be done about this.
Are there not mental history checkups before you purchase firearms?
Also a gun like that is not meant to protect your home surely! Where are people living, Detroit form Robocop or something?

you can convert those guns to auto.

They busted a cartel with some assault rifles and one of their guns had a "rock and roll" setting next to the semi auto.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
It appears to have a very large clip which would make it a more efficient killing machine.

I'd like killing machines to be less efficient.
It's a magazine not clip. And a lot of states are only aloud to own 10 rd magazines for rifles. I happen to live in the South and personally own 4 30 round magazines and a 60 rounder. I like my AR, it's a lot of fun to shoot. Her name is Carly. Not everyone is crazy.

Ecto311

Considering what kind of town the springs is and all the other news from that town and pueblo it doesn't even read as a shocking story. Living half an hour out of both of those towns that is all we hear is how shit both of them are. No excuse for the shooting but there are shootings and all kinds of bad shit happening every day in those places.

Seriously now, what is it with Colorado that the state manages to attract such gun violence?

The springs is a military town and has a shitload of low income or homeless plus drugs (not just legal weed - infact I don't think weed is legal in that town because they never passed the sale there specifically) Tons of junkies and shady as shit areas it feels like a pressure cooker for this kind of thing. At least there - now the Aurora guy is from a nicer town so it's really hard to say where some nut will spring up and shoot people.

shem935

Banned
I own one. And love it. I know a lot of people that own them. They're fun to shoot. Not everyone is deranged. And what makes it more dangerous than any other semi-automatic handgun besides a higher capacity?

Oh well I'm glad you love it and aren't deranged. That makes me feel better.

It's a magazine not clip. And a lot of states are only aloud to own 10 rd magazines for rifles. I happen to live in the South and personally own 4 30 round magazines and a 60 rounder. I like my AR, it's a lot of fun to shoot. Her name is Carly. Not everyone is crazy.

Mmmmhmm.

JoseLopez

What? Boston bomber, hello?
A bombing isn't a shooting. Terrorist attacks happen worldwide while these isolated loons gunning down innocent people barely happen outside the red states.
Also this not to ignore terrorist cells in the south who bomb abortion and other places.

Somnid

Explain why this is any more dangerous than any other gun other than it looks tacticool.

Not a gun expert but it would seem to be more accurate and probably have a much longer range than a handgun. I mean you're free to school me on penetration, size of ammunition and rate of fire. But this is sort of silly because it's "how much deadlier than deadly are we talkin'?" I don't think reasonable people support smaller arms either.

I am stuck in a timewarp?
I'm on a mass shooting post again.
This really is enough! Something needs to be done about this.
Are there not mental history checkups before you purchase firearms?
Also a gun like that is not meant to protect your home surely! Where are people living, Detroit form Robocop or something?

Mental health checks and closing loopholes will not stop these shootings.

Tougher action is needed and the NRA knows that compromising on small steps like better background/mental health checks and closing loopholes like no checks at gun shows will not solve the problem, but will create a "slippery slope" that will end with the tighter regulation we want to see, like taking away assault weapons.

I'm just no longer swayed by the "it's cool and fun to own" argument anymore. That's insufficient.

JoseLopez

Not a gun expert but it would seem to be more accurate and probably have a much longer range than a handgun. I mean you're free to school me on penetration, size of ammunition and rate of fire. But this is sort of silly because it's "how much deadlier than deadly are we talkin'?" I don't think reasonable people support smaller arms either.
AR 15 aren't military grade and generally are pretty shitty but it's still a gun. Honestly I feel bad for hunters because their probably gonna get the blunt of this when the next generation of politicians completely crack on guns which will happen inevitably whether that takes 1 year to 50 years who the fuck knows

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Sure but there are enough crazy people and enough easily accessible guns to be a problem. And you don't have to be crazy. You can be angry, dumb, greedy, surprised, clumsy or just plain evil.

The idea that guns are harmless inert things requires that you ignore the fact that people have them.

We have a serious problem and it is exacerbated and defended and enabled by your attitude. Instead of dismissing the problem we all need to work together to address it. Guns don't work for self defense, and no proposed gun control would impact hunting or sport shooting or agricultural use.

And frankly "fun" isn't good enough when compared with the cost.

Sensible rational gun regulation needn't harm your sport. And I find it incredibly ironic that the sacred second amendment actually contains the expression "well regulated " while its proponents insist that regulation is an affront to that law.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Mental health checks and closing loopholes will not stop these shootings.

Tougher action is needed and the NRA knows that compromising on small steps like better background/mental health checks and closing loopholes like no checks at gun shows will not solve the problem, but will create a "slippery slope" that will end with the tighter regulation we want to see, like taking away assault weapons.

"Assault weapons" are not the problem. Weapons classified as such are only used in 2% of gun crimes. So you're wasting your time going after those.

Not to downplay the horror and senseless tragedy of gun violence, but our species has done a lot worse on much wider scales for thousands of years.

These weekly mass shootings are very depressing. Even if we pass stricter gun laws that won't get rid of the massive amount of guns already out there..

Mecha

AR 15 aren't military grade and generally are pretty shitty but it's still a gun. Honestly I feel bad for hunters because their probably gonna get the blunt of this when the next generation of politicians completely crack on guns which will happen inevitably whether that takes 1 year to 50 years who the fuck knows

I like this optimistic take on the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom