• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 dead in Colorado shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Assault rifles are heavily restricted. The term Assault Weapon was a made up category to trick the American People into thinking action was being taken.

The AR-15 is no different than the M1 Garand except it has been made to look like an Assault Rifle

Yeah. I see people mention "assault weapons" all the time with zero concept of what that actually means as a classification.

Monocle

It's not a gun problem, it's a weather problem. If the US were consumed in a perpetual hurricane, this senseless tragedy never would have occurred.

We need to put together an investigatory committee to discover: 1) Are wind sprites real? 2) How can we hold them accountable for their criminal negligence?

Why should anyone be able to own an AR-15?

I just don't get it.

ZmlCA5x.png

No one should own any gun ever. But the real problem is handguns. They're concealable, so they're used in the overwhelming majority of crimes. The fact that he was carrying a long gun actually makes him easier to spot for police.

To answer your question more specifically, it's not really possible to ban the AR without banning semi auto rifles outright. The internal mechanics of the weapon are no different than any other semi auto weapon and the rounds used are actually smaller and less deadly than those used in deer hunting rifles (the military chose smaller bullets to make recoil manageable in full auto mode, which is not available for civilians). You can ban the features that make ARs look more like a military weapon, as New York did. But then, you just end up with this:

1870919_01__ny_compliant_ny_legal_ar_15_h_640.jpg

Which will save no lives. To get rid of the AR, or similarly deadly weapons, you'd have to ban all semiautomatic firearms, which would entail banning most of the firearms sold in America today. I'm not totally against that, but that's what you'd have to do to solve this problem. If we want to reduce gun deaths in the short term, without dealing with the 2nd amendment, I think the focus should be on overturning Heller. A ban on handguns would do so much to save lives without being a prima facie violation of the second amendment.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I think I read something similar last week,and the week before that, and the week before that...just sad.

Americans should build a mobile wall around themselves.

Amory

Even in the 90's before broadband and social media were a thing everyone knew about the fear that someone could enter a restaurant or other place and randomly kill everyone inside, even in my country there were reports on various tv shows about the issue with guns in the US. This idea that this is a recent issue is false and is not going to end anytime soon by the looks of it.

the idea that we live in fear of being killed in a mass shooting is false too

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Jesus. I hope Clinton wins the election to start doing something about this shit.

you mean eradicating a state of mind so ingrained in the American way of life that's basically become a part of their culture for decades?
Well she has a bit of a rocky road in front of her

M52B28

Banned
It's a magazine not clip. And a lot of states are only aloud to own 10 rd magazines for rifles. I happen to live in the South and personally own 4 30 round magazines and a 60 rounder. I like my AR, it's a lot of fun to shoot. Her name is Carly. Not everyone is crazy.

Hmm..

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
No one should own any gun ever. But the real problem is handguns. They're concealable, so they're used in the overwhelming majority of crimes. The fact that he was carrying a long gun actually makes him easier to spot for police.

To answer your question more specifically, it's not really possible to ban the AR without banning semi auto rifles outright. The internal mechanics of the weapon are no different than any other semi auto weapon and the rounds used are actually smaller and less deadly than those used in deer hunting rifles (the military chose smaller bullets to make recoil manageable in full auto mode, which is not available for civilians). You can ban the features that make ARs look more like a military weapon, as New York did. But then, you just end up with this:

1870919_01__ny_compliant_ny_legal_ar_15_h_640.jpg

To get rid of the AR, or similarly deadly weapons, you'd have to ban all semiautomatic firearms, which would entail banning most of the firearms sold in America today. I'm not totally against that, but that's what you'd have to do to solve this problem.

Thanks for actually taking some time to reply and answer the question I had. I'm not sure that the picture I selected in my post is extremely accurate since I have never been in close proximity of an AR15 I just used google image and chose a pic that wasn't insanely huge.

I do agree with you that handguns are the driving force behind the majority of the gun violence. Just as you stated they are easily carried and can be very easily hidden. I don't think the answer is an outright ban. As great as that would be it's simply not feasible, at all.

I have been thinking about gun violence a lot over the past year or more. I think we should enforce some of the same rules we have on driving. To own a gun(s) you need to be licensed, there should be a written test as well as some kind of required gun safety training. Before a license is given a mental health check-up should be administered. Then similar to a drivers license you should be required to go back to become recertified after X number of years.

A lot of gun advocates I've talked to over the years like to always compare them to cars and how a car can be used to kill people as well. If the car comparison is so popular then lets have similar regulations.

Diablos

She stated she would use executive orders for stricter background checks and closing loopholes, specially at gun shows. Basically anyone can get one at one of those. Its a start at least.
It's definitely a start but would probably go to the Supreme Court.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I own one. And love it. I know a lot of people that own them. They're fun to shoot. Not everyone is deranged. And what makes it more dangerous than any other semi-automatic handgun besides a higher capacity?

well I could see that being a big enough reason however doesnt the AR have a higher caliber meaning more stopping power and more damage compared to a pistol

Piggus

I just don't get it.

ZmlCA5x.png

Why are singling out that? Because it looks scary to you? There are tons of guns that are just as deadly but not considered "assault weapons." The AR-15 just happens to be popular.

Handguns are used in 90+ percent of gun-related crimes. Try to keep things in perspective.

well I could see that being a big enough reason however doesnt the AR have a higher caliber meaning more stopping power and more damage compared to a pistol

No, the AR-15 fires a low caliber .223 round at a high speed. Lots of pistols have more knockdown power.

vikki

I've come to expect shootings whenever there is an event weekend. Whether it be a movie release, 4th of July weekend, or Halloween falling on a weekend. Today I actually wondered if anything had happened. I wish it didn't cross my mind.

"Responsible gun owners" would do well to direct their ire at the idiots who keep killing people in shooting sprees making their hobby look bad, instead of childishly antagonizing those who are understandably annoyed and disturbed by the senseless killings.

nynt9

Ar-15 is basically a fancy looking hunting rifle. Same caliber ammo. It just looks "scary" because people put stupid addons on the rails.

Honestly, I'm against hunting for sport as well, so might as well just get rid all of them.

The "responsible gun owner will stop the shooting" argument is such bullshit though. Two ladies out on a walk on Halloween, probably thought this dude was in costume or didn't even see him, and someone is supposed to recognize that he's about to pull a real rifle and shoot two people to death and immediately pull their own, shoot and stop him? That's insane. What if you were wrong and the dude wasn't a shooter? How do you even prove that he was about to shoot someone? You just basically murdered a dude in cold blood. The only way to ascertain he's an active shooter is after he shoots someone, at which point it's already too late.

Why are singling out that? Because it looks scary to you? There are tons of guns that are just as deadly but not considered "assault weapons." The AR-15 just happens to be popular.

Handguns are used in 90+ percent of gun-related crimes. Try to keep things in perspective.

Sure, but I don't think the "scariness" of a gun is insubstantial when it crosses over into the open carry movement. When I think about people like this who use firearms such as this clearly in an attempt to intimidate the general public. I'd be rather concerned if I saw somebody carrying that in public, despite how many of its modifications are for show.

bgnTwsj.jpg

Piggus

"Responsible gun owners" would do well to direct their ire at the idiots who keep killing people in shooting sprees making their hobby look bad, instead of childishly antagonizing those who are understandably annoyed and disturbed by the senseless killings.

Agreed, but both sides have a lot of work to do in changing their stance towards each other.

Sure, but I don't think the "scariness" of a gun is insubstantial when it crosses over into the open carry movement. When I think about people like this who use firearms such as this clearly in an attempt to intimidate the general public.

bgnTwsj.jpg

Open carry should be banned outright, which is a more reasonable and likely solution imo than banning assault rifles. People who open carry just to make some dumb point are pathetic and just make all gun owners look bad. But I can assure that most people who own an AR or other assault rifle are responsible with their guns and use them only for target shooting. They're one of the most fun guns you can own if you like to target shoot.

Nobody has a need for a gun that can shoot and kill other human targets a kilometer away from you.

Only the military should have them. You're rarely shooting targets over a football field away from you while hunting, anyway - the AR-15's range is over 10x that.

The AR-15s maximum effective range is 300 yards, or 3 football fields. At 500 yards, the bullet begins to loose energy and becomes much less lethal. Beyond that range, wind and weather make the bullet totally inaccurate. Further, even at closer ranges 100-300 yards, soldiers in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Vietnam, using weapons with similar rounds, have complained that their enemies often continued fighting after being hit 3 or 4 times. The AR-15 is not, in any way, shape, or form a long range rifle. It's range is still greater than a handgun, but this weapon

can kill much larger animals (like humans) at much longer ranges, with a single shot.

nynt9

The AR-15s maximum effective range is 300 yards, or 3 football fields. At 500 yards, the bullet begins to loose energy and becomes much less lethal. Beyond that range, wind and weather make the bullet totally inaccurate. Further, even at closer ranges 100-300 yards, soldiers in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Vietnam, using weapons with similar rounds, have complained that their enemies often continued fighting after being hit 3 or 4 times. The AR-15 is not, in any way, shape, or form a long range rifle. It's range is still greater than a handgun, but this weapon

can kill much larger animals (like humans) at much longer ranges, with a single shot.

"There are even worse weapons" isn't really a great argument here, you know. Especially in the context of the thread's subject matter.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Oooh, do you think that gun can break 4 kills?

Gigglepoo

There comes a point when people have to be mature and say goodbye to their toys, for the good of society. How many people have to die before gun owners admit that guns are a serious problem and take action to prevent these unnecessary deaths?

shem935

Banned
The whole argument of "But there are worse things! No need to get rid of this" is silly. My response to that is okay sure, lets ban/regulate those things too instead of the fat lot of nothing we are doing now.

True story, this happened within blocks of where I live. I wondered why all of the streets in the area were closed, but had no idea there was a shooting so close by.

No details yet on the victims. I hope I don't know any of them.

Kite

I just don't get it.

ZmlCA5x.png

NmqZjVt.jpg

I'm no NRA gun nut, but it seems like people really need to research what these guns are before getting outraged and scared. The AR15 is the gun equivalent of a ricer.. adding a spoiler, huge exhausts, a body kit, expensive rims and racing stickers to the Honda Accord your parents gave you won't make it any faster. Same as the Ar15, it looks intimidating to novices but it's still semi automatic like any hunting rifle. It can't do burst or fully automatic fire like the M16 and M4s the actual military use. Personally I think it's silly and laugh at people who own one.

Yet there are still people who are against more background checks when obtaining guns. While it may not be the answer, at least it would be a step in the right direction.

Montresor

AR15_A3_Tactical_Carbine_pic1.jpg

That's an AR-15 according to Google. Americans are allowed to buy this? If yes it would be hard to ever take a gun advocate seriously ever. Only someone in the military or SWAT members of local, state, and federal law enforcement should ever own this.

Bodacious

Banned
just googled AR-15

Why in the flying fuck are people allowed to buy that

That's an AR-15 according to Google. Americans are allowed to buy this? If yes it would be hard to ever take a gun advocate seriously ever. Only someone in the military or SWAT members of local, state, and federal law enforcement should ever own this.

What is it that you guys think that rifle can do that any other rifle can't do? It's not a 'machine gun,' it fires once for every pull of the trigger the same as any semi-automatic firearm. It's popular because the military-evolved adaptations make it (relatively) light, easily customized to different tasks (i.e. target, competition, varmint/pest control, night hunting, whatever) and very adjustable for better ergonomic fit.

It's just a semi auto rifle. It doesn't really shoot any faster in semi-auto configuration than a lever-action cowboy rifle made 140 years ago. A lot slower than the cowboy gun, if it's this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKz8brpH0I

acrid

Banned
I've come to expect shootings whenever there is an event weekend. Whether it be a movie release, 4th of July weekend, or Halloween falling on a weekend. Today I actually wondered if anything had happened. I wish it didn't cross my mind.

I hate to say it, but I'll be more surprised if there isn't a shooting at The Force Awakens premiere. You've got a movie that's going to draw hundreds of thousands of viewers over opening weekend, media coverage, etc. Plus it's a week before Christmas.

When is the US going to do something about guns?

never?

What no one discusses is that gun laws are inextricably tied to race relations. Both gun ownership and gun control have been driven in large part by fear of black Americans. We're not going to be able to deal with the gun problem until we address the race problem.

I do agree with you that handguns are the driving force behind the majority of the gun violence. Just as you stated they are easily carried and can be very easily hidden. I don't think the answer is an outright ban. As great as that would be it's simply not feasible, at all.

Well, no gun regulation is currently feasible because our government is captured by corporate interests. But you are correct, a total handgun ban would have been hard to pass even in the 90's.

I have been thinking about gun violence a lot over the past year or more. I think we should enforce some of the same rules we have on driving. To own a gun(s) you need to be licensed, there should be a written test as well as some kind of required gun safety training. Before a license is given a mental health check-up should be administered. Then similar to a drivers license you should be required to go back to become recertified after X number of years.

A lot of gun advocates I've talked to over the years like to always compare them to cars and how a car can be used to kill people as well. If the car comparison is so popular then lets have similar regulations.

I agree. I really like the Swiss method, which is similar to what you're talking about.

"There are even worse weapons" isn't really a great argument here, you know. Especially in the context of the thread's subject matter.

Please continue to ignore the comment I was responding to when addressing my posts.

NmqZjVt.jpg

I'm no NRA gun nut, but it seems like people really need to research what these guns are before getting outraged and scared. The AR15 is the gun equivalent of a ricer.. adding a spoiler, huge exhausts, a body kit, expensive rims and racing stickers to the Honda Accord your parents gave you won't make it any faster. Same as the Ar15, it looks intimidating to novices but it's still semi automatic like any hunting rifle. It can't do burst or fully automatic fire like the M16 and M4s the actual military use. Personally I think it's silly and laugh at people who own one.

Unless something has changed you can convert them to full auto, it's illegal but mass shooters probably don't give a shit about that.

Unless something has changed you can convert them to full auto, it's illegal but mass shooters probably don't give a shit about that.

A glock can be converted to full auto as well. Every semi-auto gun can be made full auto if you have the mechanical know how. Most people don't, which includes the majority of mass shooters.

No hand guns shouldn't go anywhere I should have a right to defend myself and my property from people.

A hand gun is a totally shit weapon for self-defense. It's inaccurate, hard to control, has bad sights, and limited stopping power. A shotgun or rifle (yes, even the AR) would be a better choice for defense. I don't see a rational reason against limiting gun ownership to rifles and shotguns - neither of which are easily concealable or regularly used in crimes.

Crosseyes

Banned
No hand guns shouldn't go anywhere I should have a right to defend myself and my property from people.
Nah. The day the 2nd amendment is abolished will be a great day from America. It may be decades from now, and it may take the blood of gun owners who defend it, but it will be monumental day in American history.

There comes a point when people have to be mature and say goodbye to their toys, for the good of society. How many people have to die before gun owners admit that guns are a serious problem and take action to prevent these unnecessary deaths?

I take issue with being called immature and that I treat my guns as toys. I've owned guns for about 27 years and I'm all for greater gun restrictions and closing down gun shows. Even though I have gone to many and bought guns at them.

People that want a out right ban probably don't live in a rural area like I do. A lot of us think of guns as tools. So it's hard to say "it's the guns" and not the people that use them to murder. Deer season has started here and I know people that hunt for the meat to feed their families. Those people would have to be convinced too. Calling for a complete ban won't even get me or others to want to make some kind of compromise.

There are people that want absolutely no restrictions on guns and there are people that want all guns banned. I hope the moderates on both sides can come up with some sensible laws we could pass.

I don't think it's gotten easier to get a gun now vs. 20 years ago. So as to why we have more "Active Shooter" situations makes me think it's not just the availability of guns. I knew plenty of kids in my school in the 80s that had their own gun for hunting or plinking targets. I don't remember ever being afraid of a school shooting back then.

My 2 cents.

bevel

We should open a special thread for all this gunvoilence bs in murka. Getting pretty sick of this weekly debate...

From what I recall, no mass shooting in years has involved an AR that was converted to fire automatic. And converting to automatic is not something easy to do, you need some experience working on guns and it's something most folks would need a gunsmith friend to do, while most gunsmiths would never do it for you in the first place as they know its illegal.

A glock can be converted to full auto as well. Every semi-auto gun can be made full auto if you have the mechanical know how. Most people don't, which includes the majority of mass shooters.

A hand gun is a totally shit weapon for self-defense. It's inaccurate, hard to control, has bad sights, and limited stopping power. A shotgun or rifle (yes, even the AR) would be a better choice for defense. I don't see a rational reason against limiting gun ownership to rifles and shotguns - neither of which are easily concealable or regularly used in crimes.

From what I recall, no mass shooting in years has involved an AR that was converted to fire automatic. And converting to automatic is not something easy to do, you need some experience working on guns and it's something most folks would need a gunsmith friend to do, while most gunsmiths would never do it for you in the first place as they know its illegal.

Right, you need to know how my point was that it's possible. I'm not anti gun or anything my old man has some land out in the country and I used to shoot all kinds of guns, but there def needs some regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom