• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 dead in Colorado shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynt9

The good guy shouldn't be walking down the fucking street with their rifle on their back. Or holding it. Unless you see a dead deer in their truck or they are at a shooting range or on property target shooting.

Well, but thanks to open carry laws and second amendment activists, that happens quite often.

siddhu33

All Handguns should be banned, there's no practical use for them, most gun crime is linked to them (not tacticool AR-15s) and they're too easy to conceal.

There's a myth going around that guns are all banned in places like Europe and Australia and it's impossible to get them. Not true, there's just reasonable checks.

Here's what I think should happen:

Disclaimer: I get how the US political system works (or doesn't work), just throwing an idea out there that isn't on either side of the argument really.

If you want a gun, you can apply to get a shotgun or a rifle, where you will have to be show to be competent enough to own one, as well as have the correct reasons (hunting, security, sport, etc) and credentials for said reasons.

After background checks, mental evaluations, and extensive training regarding storage and usage (don't point at anything that you don't want dead, etc), you will then be issued a license to buy and own that weapon.

The weapon will then be kept in its own safe, and regular inspections should occur to show that the firearm is kept in the right condition. If you want to sell on your gun, it has to be to someone who has a valid license.

There should also be a marker to track all firearms obtained, in the same way to a license plate on a car. Heck, you should even get touristy ones if you'd like!

As a short aside, I actually think the quickest way to enact any gun control changes would be if a large amount of Black, Hispanic, and Muslim people started to open carry in traditionally white areas. Of course, this won't happen as all these people would get shot, but still. The last time a bunch of minorities open carried in a government area, Saint Reagan himself signed a gun control act!

How so? I honestly cant tell till someone aims at me or bullets start flying and by then its too late.
I don't care for the car analogy but do you know that a car won't veer off the road and hit you from behind while walking down the sidewalk? Do you know that someone won't mug or stab you out of nowhere on the streets? Do you know if you'll suddenly be hit with a heart attack or stroke any second?

I live in California but even when I visit other states, I have never seen a gun outside of a gun range/store or on a cop's hip. If I ever see a civilian open carry, it would be noteworthy to me but unless I see the weapon in their hands, I would have no reason to trigger any alarms in my head. I would deem them a 'good guy' or responsible gun owner, I guess.

nynt9

I don't care for the car analogy but do you know that a car won't veer off the road and hit you from behind while walking down the sidewalk? Do you know that someone won't mug or stab you out of nowhere on the streets? Do you know if you'll suddenly be hit with a heart attack or stroke any second?

I live in California but even when I visit other states, I have never seen a gun outside of a gun range/store or on a cop's hip. If I ever see a civilian open carry, it would be noteworthy to me but unless I see the weapon in their hands, I would have no reason to trigger any alarms in my head. I would deem them a 'good guy' or responsible gun owner, I guess.

"I don't care for the car analogy but"

*proceeds to provide a particularly terrible example of the car analogy*

"I don't care for the car analogy but"

*proceeds to provide a particularly terrible example of the car analogy*
I know, it's terrible. We need cars way more than we need guns in our day to day lives. But cars are still a danger, which is why I brought it up and they are a concern in the back of my mind when I walk down the street. Having them whip past and feeling the wind hit you is pretty unnerving and there is a real danger there. How do I know who is a good driver or a bad driver? There have been a few incidents recently in the news with this very same thing, killing and injuring dozens of people.

The thing I don't care for is when pro-gun activists act like we need guns just as much as cars and try to compare the two as equally important for day to day living. But then you get people who talk abut home security, which I can see as an important thing and fighting back against a tyrannical government which is insane to me.

nynt9

I know, it's terrible. We need cars way more than we need guns in our day to day lives. But cars are still a danger, which is why I brought it up and they are a concern in the back of my mind when I walk down the street. Having them whip past and feeling the wind hit you is pretty unnerving and there is a real danger there. How do I know who is a good driver or a bad driver? There have been a few incidents recently in the news with this very same thing, killing and injuring dozens of people.

The thing I don't care for is when pro-gun activists act like we need guns just as much as cars and try to compare the two as equally important for day to day living. But then you get people who talk abut home security, which I can see as an important thing and fighting back against a tyrannical government which is insane to me.

Cars are not designed to be killing machines, so when you see a car you can automatically assume, statistically, that a driver does not have an intent to kill someone or something.

Same can not be said for guns.

Cars are not designed to be killing machines, so when you see a car you can automatically assume, statistically, that a driver does not have an intent to kill someone or something.

Same can not be said for guns.
If I saw someone with a gun on their hip or a rifle on their back (in a state that allows this) I would not assume they are trying to harm anyone any more than I would assume someone driving a car is trying to hit anyone. I would assume they have it because they feel the need to protect themselves and protect those around them as well as to practice their second amendment rights.

I haven't looked at any statistics but there is something to be said for a machine that isn't meant to kill that still kills by a great amount each year. Again, I don't want to sound like one of those people but a lot of people do die from cars. But comparisons between guns and cars specifically wasn't the point I was trying to make in my earlier post on this page. I was talking about dangers in general all around us an the uncertainty of what's safe or not.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
So, as long as the gun is holstered I can rest assured that the guy with the gun is a 'good guy with a gun' and not a 'bad guy with gun'? Seems like iron clad logic to me! Thank you all for your advice as i really dont want to be 2nd ammended to death.

So, as long as the gun is holstered I can rest assured that the guy with the gun is a 'good guy with a gun' and not a 'bad guy with gun'? Seems like iron clad logic to me! Thank you all for your advice as i really dont want to be 2nd ammended to death.
If you ever see a person open carrying, rest assured they have gone through the proper regulations to get that permit or to be allowed to do that. It would be a pretty bold thing for a criminal to do. If the gun is concealed, chances are you wouldn't know about it anyway.

If you ever see someone walking around with a gun in their hands, be concerned.

You mean just how people love their Cars, fishing equipment, their bikes, game consoles, and etc. I don't get your point. I don't literally "love" the thing I'm using love/like synonymously here

If someone named their xbox/playstation/nintendo "Carly" or by some other name, yes I would question their sanity. I might even call them deranged. But only if game consoles were designed to kill.

You're suggesting a violent disarmament campaign by law enforcement? Is there a contest going on to make Alex Jones look sane?

Speaking as an outsider looking in, at least that way, the people who get killed will be the people who chose to resist as opposed to being people unlucky enough to be in the same area as the next shooting.

nynt9

The good guy is usually the one not pointing a gun at you demanding your stuff.

Yeah but in an active shooter situation the "bad guy" won't point at you and ask for stuff. He'll just fucking shoot you. You're dead before you know whether he's a good guy or a bad guy.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
People are still using "cars kill people too" analogy?

Come on, that is such an idiotic comparison :/

The good guy is usually the one not pointing a gun at you demanding your stuff.

In life or death situation, "usually" is not good enough, because it requires just one deviation from that "usually" and you're dead.

If you ever see a person open carrying, rest assured they have gone through the proper regulations to get that permit or to be allowed to do that. It would be a pretty bold thing for a criminal to do. If the gun is concealed, chances are you wouldn't know about it anyway.

If you ever see someone walking around with a gun in their hands, be concerned.

Why? Maybe they're just making sure it's pointed at the ground and not in any danger to anyone. Once you see its pointed at you and it's making loud noises, THEN you should probably be concerned as long there isn't any live game around you.

Why? Maybe they're just making sure it's pointed at the ground and not in any danger to anyone. Once you see its pointed at you and it's making loud noises, THEN you should probably be concerned as long there isn't any live game around you.
Guns are tools solely intended for killing. If seeing one near you in the hands of an unknown doesn't put you on edge, your survival instincts might be off.

TheTurboFD

The only way I'll give up my right to own a firearm is if you can guarantee that criminals won't have one to use on me. In a country that has over 300 million weapons I doubt that's going to happen so I'll stick to my CCW and fund whatever company that fights for my rights.

tkscz

All that said, tens of thousands of people die from gun related violence every year in the United States, so making a thread for every single occurrence doesn't really make a lot of sense in my opinion.

For some reason, lone gunmen in areas where it doesn't normally happen is seen more as news over gun violence in areas it constantly happens.

OT:

*Goes on Tumblr: "This was violence against women! The shooter hated women! MISOGYNY!"

*Goes on NeoGaf: *Sarcastic posts from some NRA quote* "We need more gun laws. Don't tell us it's not the right time to talk about it, if not now, then when?" and rarely "My prayers to the victims families".

Seriously though, prayers to the victims families.

The only way I'll give up my right to own a firearm is if you can guarantee that criminals won't have one to use on me. In a country that has over 300 million weapons I doubt that's going to happen so I'll stick to my CCW and fund whatever company that fights for my rights.
I seriously need to leave America. Thanks for the reminder.

Guns are tools solely intended for killing. If seeing one near you in the hands of an unknown doesn't put you on edge, your survival instincts might be off.

Pretty much. Though I've heard so many people in my life tell me that being scared of someone walking around with a gun is stupid, and that a person should see it another article of clothing.

So in short, you merely prefer the status quo. You just like guns and never wanna change that, but still decided to make some bullshit up about criminals.

Hex

Banned
Its not an M16 - its a semi-auto that's popular as a hunting rifle.

Explain why this is any more dangerous than any other gun other than it looks tacticool.

Aside from the fact that you can pretty much look up online how to mod it into automatic and get the parts if you can not do it yourself?

Piggus

I don't think guns or regulations are going to change anytime soon. My roommate now has 30 guns total and over 20,000 rounds of ammo ranging from 9mm to slugs I've seen as thick as your thumb and as long as your middle finger finger. He always talks about penetration and stuff. But whenever you ask him why he needs all those guns there is never a clear answer......ever. There is not a single person that needs that type of fire power and amount of guns. It amazes me that they all constantly buy guns and ammo but they can never give you an answer as to why they all need it.

I'm fucking lost on people who own guns.

They don't need to give you a clear answer because the answer is really simple: virtually nobody NEEDS to own a gun. In the same way that you don't NEED to own a PS4. They're a hobby for most people. That's it. I have about 10 guns of various types and am likely to inherit about 30 more (mostly old Winchester rifles from the 1800s). Why? Because I enjoy target shooting as a hobby and I like to collect older rifles. I don't need them, but it's my right to own them and use them in a safe, responsible way. I get that people have a hard time understanding that, but those people tend to be those who have never fired a gun in their entire life.

Aside from the fact that you can pretty much look up online how to mod it into automatic and get the parts if you can not do it yourself?

Care to provide us with some examples of when that has actually happened and resulted in a major loss of life? Do you have any experience firing a semi-automatic rifle compared to a fully-automatic one?

I seriously need to leave America. Thanks for the reminder.

k, bye

What will it take for gun nuts to change their position? Murder of their loved ones?

As soon as staunch anti-gun people change theirs. In other words, never. But you could start by not referring to all gun owners as "gun nuts" just because they enjoy a hobby that you can't understand. As for your hypothetical situation, the homicide rate would have to skyrocket. The reality is it's on a downward trend.

Hex

Banned
Care to provide us with some examples of when that has actually happened and resulted in a major loss of life? Do you have any experience firing a semi-automatic rifle compared to a fully-automatic one?

k, bye

While I appreciate a good zealot like the next guy, your questions are irrelevant but for the record one life lost is a major loss of life.
There was a question posed, and I answered that question.
If you would like to say that I am wrong, that it can not be done then so be it and do so.
Aside from that, no I prefer not to get caught up in another rousing game of gun nut rhetoric.
It is a shame that these events have to keep happening.

As soon as staunch anti-gun people change theirs. In other words, never. But you could start by not referring to all gun owners as "gun nuts" just because they enjoy a hobby that you can't understand. As for your hypothetical situation, the homicide rate would have to skyrocket. The reality is it's on a downward trend.

I do believe you are confused about something.
Owning a gun does not make one a gun nut.
Being a zealot to defend to the point of just completely turning your back on the reality of what is happening out there, well that is another matter.

HyperionX

While I appreciate a good zealot like the next guy, your questions are irrelevant but for the record one life lost is a major loss of life.
If you would like to say that I am wrong, that it can not be done then so be it and do so.
Aside from that, no I prefer not to get caught up in another rousing game of gun nut rhetoric.

Being a zealot to defend to the point of just completely turning your back on the reality of what is happening out there, well that is another matter.

FYI, Piggus been doing this for dozens of threads now, and show no sign of let up. At some point you have to admit he's basically nuts. A true "gun nut" if you will.

Piggus

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm asking you to give an example of a mass shooting in which someone modified their gun to become fully automatic.

Getting access to full-auto parts is not as easy as you might think.

Try telling that to jokers like HyperionX. I agree with you. Which is why I always try to think of ways in which both sides can compromise. The issue is complicated when neither side really understands the other.

FYI, Piggus been doing this for dozens of threads now, and show no sign of let up. At some point you have to admit he's basically nuts. A true "gun nut" if you will.

lol, oh look, it's Mr. "all gun owners are like slavery-era racists." And yet you're calling ME nuts.

yogloo

But you could start by not referring to all gun owners as "gun nuts" just because they enjoy a hobby that you can't understand.

I don't. I enjoy shooting guns myself even if I don't own one.

Gun nuts.

HyperionX

lol, oh look, it's Mr. "all gun owners are like slavery-era racists." And yet you're calling ME nuts.

For a man who regularly shows in threads where people were literally murdered, and then defend the means of which those people were murders, you sure haven't done much to shake off that accusation. And again, you exaggerate the size of the accusation. Clearly I did not imply every gun owner is like that, but for some, that accusation is not far off from the truth. There's a certain lack of concern for human life that is quite disturbing among many gun owners, one that does merits comparisons to racists and slave-owners (and fuck loads of gun owners are straight-up racists too).

Piggus

For a man who regularly shows in threads where people were literally murdered, and then defend the means of which those people were murders, you sure haven't done much to shake off that accusation. And again, you exaggerate the size of the accusation. Clearly I did not imply every gun owner is like that, but for some, that accusation is not far off from the truth. There's a certain lack of concern of human life that is quite disturbing among many gun owners, one that does merits comparisons to racists and slave-owners (and fuck loads of gun owners are straight-up racists too).

I don't side with a lot of gun owners on a lot of things. I detest the way many of them scoff at any sort of legislation that would help save lives, even the most basic. I want it to be harder for people to get a gun, and I want harsher penalties for negligence resulting in gun crimes. Do I sound like the equivalent of a slave owner to you?

I'm only trying to provide my opinion and provide a little bit of balance to the debate. You can go ahead and ignore everything I say and make personal attacks as much as you want. I really don't care. But don't give me that crap about not caring about the lives of others. I engage in this debate because I care and because I want to see change that's meaningful while actually being possible in today's political climate, which is something you are not doing at all. I should also point out that it is never pro-gun people who start the debates in these threads.

HyperionX

I don't side with a lot of gun owners on a lot of things. I detest the way many of them scoff at any sort of legislation that would help save lives, even the most basic. I want it to be harder for people to get a gun, and I want harsher penalties for negligence resulting in gun crimes. Do I sound like a slave owner to you?

You haven't shown much concern in most threads that I've seen. What I have seen is a person who appears to give next to zero fucks about human deaths. You also forcefully defend the idea that it is a right, to the point where trumps most if not all concerns over real world problems. In that sense, you really do seem like a slave owner who hides behind the constitution to defend a terrible idea.

I'm only trying to provide my opinion and provide a little bit of balance to the debate. You can go ahead and ignore everything I say and make personal attacks as much as you want. I really don't care. But don't give me that crap about not caring about the lives of others. I engage in this debate because I care and because I want to see change that's meaningful while actually being possible in today's political climate. I should also point out that it is never pro-gun people who start the debates in these threads.

The problem is, you've done almost none of the sort. It's post after post of deflection tactics, all in the aftermath of a mass shooting threads to defend guns. At the very least, and that's assuming you're even trying, you're incredible confused about what you think you're trying to do and what you're actually doing.

JoeNut

Eventually they'll stop reporting it because it's not news, it's just like a dog being run over, sad, but won't stop happening.

RIP

CryptiK

LMAO good joke. You can't be concerned with it being pointed at you and making noises because you'd most likely be dead. ALWAYS be concerned if some nut job is carrying a rifle around in public because just remember it can go hairy real fast.

Unless United States stop calling herself United States of America and have a new constitution, the gun laws are not going to change.

Rather tragic I think.

TheTurboFD

So in short, you merely prefer the status quo. You just like guns and never wanna change that, but still decided to make some bullshit up about criminals.

No, if I never wanted to change it then I wouldn't have said I would give up my guns. I'm just not going to give up my guns on some crap plan that might work or might not. The government has had too many half assed plans for me to trust them with a subject like this. If they can guarantee that weapons will not get into criminals hands then I'll surely give up my guns. Nice try though.

PBY

Banned
These threads are always so sad to me. Because there will always be a couple of gun owners who come in and deflect and don't argue in good faith and in the end represent the reason why these awful events still happen and won't change.

PBY

Banned
No, if I never wanted to change it then I wouldn't have said I would give up my guns. I'm just not going to give up my guns on some crap plan that might work or might not. The government has had too many half assed plans for me to trust them with a subject like this. If they can guarantee that weapons will not get into criminals hands then I'll surely give up my guns. Nice try though.
No plan proposed ever will satisfy you, and noting will change. At least be honest about it.

Jag

These threads are always so sad to me. Because there will always be a couple of gun owners who come in and deflect and don't argue in good faith and in the end represent the reason why these awful events still happen and won't change.

And GAF is fairly socially liberal. Those dissenters are a tiny part of a much more vocal majority that think gun ownership is a core American liberty because our founders were revolutionaries.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but in an active shooter situation the "bad guy" won't point at you and ask for stuff. He'll just fucking shoot you. You're dead before you know whether he's a good guy or a bad guy.

People are still using "cars kill people too" analogy?

Come on, that is such an idiotic comparison :/

In life or death situation, "usually" is not good enough, because it requires just one deviation from that "usually" and you're dead.

He asked how do you identify a good guy from a bad guy before the bullets started flying.

Dragon

Banned
I think it's time to quit arguing about AR-15s and start talking about how to fix this stuff. I will say it's progress that no one said it was "too soon" to talk about it after an event like this. That shit boils my blood.

PBY

Banned
After the big mass shooting at a McDonalds Luby's some years back, one of the survivors - who lost her parents in the attack - testified before congress that she was furious at lawmakers for disarming her. She felt if she had a gun, the outcome might have been different.

Edit: Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEJFAvA-ZUE
Who cares?

We shouldn't make policy decisions based on emotional, anectodal evidence. We have a large body of data that we just totally ignore.

Bleepey

Don't tell him that the NRA makes it easier for criminals to get guns. I feel safer in the UK without guns than you do in the US with guns.

I own one. And love it. I know a lot of people that own them. They're fun to shoot. Not everyone is deranged. And what makes it more dangerous than any other semi-automatic handgun besides a higher capacity?

Guys, he's not deranged, let's give him some hand grenades, they're fun to throw!

Besides, HE grenades aren't more dangerous than a regular pistol, you can't kill people more dead than dead.

How 'bout a grenade launcher?

'Murica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom