• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 dead in Colorado shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynt9

It's pretty telling to me about the mentality of some that when 4 people are killed, the argument is revolving around whether AR-15s are the most deadly rifle or whether this can be done with hand guns as well or whatever.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Nah. The day the 2nd amendment is abolished will be a great day from America. It may be decades from now, and it may take the blood of gun owners who defend it, but it will be monumental day in American history.
You're suggesting a violent disarmament campaign by law enforcement? Is there a contest going on to make Alex Jones look sane?

Agreed, but both sides have a lot of work to do in changing their stance towards each other.

I do agree it'll take cooperation between everyone to combat senseless shootings, but let's be honest here: many people in this thread are having a much stronger reaction to someone's ignorance of AR-15s instead of the thread's actual subject matter of a shooting. There's something really quite wrong about people coming into a thread about a shooting and being the most upset not about the shooting, but at people's ignorance of specific kinds of guns. It's pretty telling of their priorities and doesn't do anything to help.

Bodacious

Banned
It's pretty telling to me about the mentality of some that when 4 people are killed, the argument is revolving around whether AR-15s are the most deadly rifle or whether this can be done with hand guns as well or whatever.

Only because some posts here focused on the particular model of rifle and asserted it was crazy that civilians could own that (vs. any other firearm).

I it's more about some saying we need to ban those ARs when it would do nothing to stop most gun violence.

We are having a discussion about mass shootings, some think it's relevant.

Glad the lunatic is dead. RIP to the victims.

You're suggesting a violent disarmament campaign by law enforcement? Is there a contest going on to make Alex Jones look sane?

That's always been the endgame for some. At least they're being honest about it and not bullshitting with "common sense gun laws & no one wants to take your guns that's silly no one said that...who ever said that?!?!"

antonz

If you want REAL progress made then you need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid about guns. Gun legislation almost always excludes any sort of glance at hand guns and instead the focus is on a weapon category the Lobbyists and Government invented as a scapegoat.

Real impactful legislation aimed at Hand Guns would have significant effect on gun violence ranging from violent crimes to suicide.

Two Words

From what I recall, no mass shooting in years has involved an AR that was converted to fire automatic. And converting to automatic is not something easy to do, you need some experience working on guns and it's something most folks would need a gunsmith friend to do, while most gunsmiths would never do it for you in the first place as they know its illegal.

A fully automatic weapon would likely be less lethal in these mass shooting situations also. They'd likely fire too much, be less accurate, waste ammo, and have to reload more and run out of ammo faster. I'm not trying to argue for making fully-automatic weapons legal. Just saying the semi-automatic weapons are in a lot of ways more lethal in these situations.

nynt9

If you want REAL progress made then you need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid about guns. Gun legislation almost always excludes any sort of glance at hand guns and instead the focus is on a weapon category the Lobbyists and Government invented as a scapegoat.

Real impactful legislation aimed at Hand Guns would have significant effect on gun violence ranging from violent crimes to suicide.

It's not mutually exclusive. Legislate both?

Durask

Why should anyone be able to own an AR-15?

I just don't get it.

ZmlCA5x.png

Isn't any more deadly than this one.

latest

Durask

AR15_A3_Tactical_Carbine_pic1.jpg

That's an AR-15 according to Google. Americans are allowed to buy this? If yes it would be hard to ever take a gun advocate seriously ever. Only someone in the military or SWAT members of local, state, and federal law enforcement should ever own this.

What country do you live in?

antonz

It's not mutually exclusive. Legislate both?

Statistically you are more likely to be beaten to death with a hammer or baseball bat than be killed with a rifle based weapon. I would say that Legislation and general ownership in that area has been pretty successful. Meanwhile nothing has been done to address handguns and handgun violence has remained a massive issue.

If anything for far too long legislation has only been aimed at a target that even at its worse was still a minor part of the overall problem.

Handgun ownership needs a massive overhaul. Driver like licensing, with mandatory evaluations etc. are all needed. Its far too easy to conceal and any individual person could conceal multiple handguns on their persons to cause damage with.

Political capital is a finite resource. Especially when it comes to gun control. If gun control advocates want to make our society safer, we need to be well informed and focused. In New York, the governor used the political capital created by Sandy Hook to pass one of the most ignorant and ineffective gun restrictions ever written. Now, that law is being appealed to the Supreme Court. If, like in D.C. v Heller, the law is overturned, we could wind up with a Supreme Court ruling that makes gun regulation even more difficult.

People who support gun control should not be in favor of bad laws that can be easily overturned. They should not be in favor of laws written by uninformed legislators that don't actually make gun commerce safer.

Statistically you are more likely to be beaten to death with a hammer or baseball bat than be killed with a rifle based weapon. I would say that Legislation and general ownership in that area has been pretty successful. Meanwhile nothing has been done to address handguns and handgun violence has remained a massive issue.

If anything for far too long legislation has only been aimed at a target that even at its worse was still a minor part of the overall problem.

Handgun ownership needs a massive overhaul. Driver like licensing, with mandatory evaluations etc. are all needed. Its far too easy to conceal and any individual person could conceal multiple handguns on their persons to cause damage with.

This.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
yeah handguns has to go, and home defense should not be a valid reason to own a gun.

In a home defense scenario a handgun is the last thing I'm using. A home invasion is time to pull out the old Mossberg 500. Handguns are for concealed carry.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Nah. The day the 2nd amendment is abolished will be a great day from America. It may be decades from now, and it may take the blood of gun owners who defend it, but it will be monumental day in American history.

You can keep dreaming buddy, it's never happening. If anything gun laws are getting more lenient well at least in the Southeastern US. Florida is trying to pass a bill to allow open carry.

I live in the Springs and this didn't really blow up on the news until late. Might explain why we had an unusually small number of trick or treaters, even though we live in a great neighborhood that normally gets swarmed on Halloween. The event happened twenty minutes from here, which if you're familiar with the city is about as far north to south as you can go.

Awful. Another senseless tragedy. The tactless gun defense force is already coming out on Facebook, those douches. You don't need to immediately justify your gun fetish while they're still cleaning blood off the street, assholes. Another FB culling it is.

In a home defense scenario a handgun is the last thing I'm using. A home invasion is time to pull out the old Mossberg 500. Handguns are for concealed carry.

This. Mossberg 500 is what I have for home defense. Granted before that the doors are locked, and the alarm is on and I'd rather sit tight with my family and let em steal whatever until the police arrive. But on the off chance mofos are interested in more than my Xbox and TV...yea. Mossberg.

I'm not much of a fan of conceal carry because the rules of engagement are often silly as shit.

And I Damn sure don't believe people should be open carrying long guns. It accomplishes nothing.

AR15_A3_Tactical_Carbine_pic1.jpg

That's an AR-15 according to Google. Americans are allowed to buy this? If yes it would be hard to ever take a gun advocate seriously ever. Only someone in the military or SWAT members of local, state, and federal law enforcement should ever own this.
There are far worse than an AR-15.

The smaller one is the AR-15. Both are legal.

Mailbox

I disagree. American government should be held accountable for even allowing such a bollocksed way of living

Honestly, it should really be both.

I'd assume that if the gun industry had safety of citizens using their product in mind, you'd see new tech implemented and better safety and restrictions created as a result.

Then again, there are already so many damn guns out there in the US, that would be kinda pointless.

Honestly, it should really be both.

I'd assume that if the gun industry had safety of citizens using their product in mind, you'd see new tech implemented and better safety and restrictions created as a result.

Then again, there are already so many damn guns out there in the US, that would be kinda pointless.

There is smart gun tech. Unfortunately ignorant politicians tried to force it on people way before the tech was proven effective and it caused all sorts of backlash and now smart guns are seen as a Trojan Horse that no one really wants.

I'd love a thumbprint unlockable gun.

BizzyBum

At this point, why even make new threads for this stuff? It's becoming so common there should just be some sort of official topic with updates followed by 20 pages of arguments on gun laws.

Violet_0

Banned
are semi-automatic weapons really that much less dangerous than full automatic guns? I imagine they still have a pretty high rate of fire and a large mag size, and unlike handguns are more accurate at longer distance and probably have a stronger firepower. Well, and apparently you can mod them to full automatic rather easily

appaws

Banned
There is smart gun tech. Unfortunately ignorant politicians tried to force it on people way before the tech was proven effective and it caused all sorts of backlash and now smart guns are seen as a Trojan Horse that no one really wants.

I'd love a thumbprint unlockable gun.

Good post. Yes, I think good things are coming down in that area pretty soon. And when they work well and consistently, gun owners will want them.

My GF's dad got an AR from her brother as a birthday present. I must say, in person they are a lot less imposing than the pictures you see. They also fire pretty small rounds (most are 5.56 unless I'm mistaken), so the only real criticism of them is that they look dangerous, which is kinda silly. You can easily get much more powerful/dangerous guns that would continue to be completely legal even if they banned the AR.

This is a tragedy, but gun crimes are on the down.

Mailbox

People in canada can have AR-15's as well you know

Yeah, but Canada don't have a hyperviolence gun oriented culture mindset coupled with loose gun laws.

I don't think the point of the post you were quoting (and whom he was quoting) was about the gun's availability.

I am so fed up with the gun violence in my country. What is a sane and reasonable person to do in this environment when you cant even bring up reasonable gun control with out being labeled a traitor and turning your back on the 2nd amendment. Do we have to pick up arms our selves to prove a point? Its just a damn shame that these nuts never shoot up right wing gatherings because everyone knows cons do nothing unless it affects them personally.

Just so fuckin sick of it!

lednerg

So by your logic automotive manufacturers need to be held accountable for the damage their products are inflicting everyday ?

Yeah, ask Volkswagen about it.

Really, though, I'm talking about how in the press, we seldom hear about the manufacturers. We hear about the NRA, but they're merely a scapegoat. Everybody knows about Wayne LaPierre, but few could tell you who is on the board of Smith & Wesson or what have you. Nobody ever fishes for quotes from them when their products are used in all these atrocities. What are they doing to help? Why are they blocking smart guns, for example? That would be like a car company blocking seat belts.

So by your logic automotive manufacturers need to be held accountable for the damage their products are inflicting everyday ?

Yes because we are over run with assault vehicles and cars are made for nothing but killing things, please GTFO with this tired and worn out bullshit!

damn people will make such shitty comparisons and analogies if it means they get to keep their precious guns with them at all times.

see you all in the next mass shooting thread.

It's a misconception. People hear "Assault Rifle" and assume it's some full auto Rambo shit, but it's really just a semi-auto .238 or 5.56.
So GMs aren't allowed to sell any guns with full auto? If so that seems to contrast with all of the YouTube videos I have seen where people are shooting full auto with drum mag Scars.

antonz

So GMs aren't allowed to sell any guns with full auto? If so that seems to contrast with all of the YouTube videos I have seen where people are shooting full auto with drum mag Scars.

Full Auto weapons can be gotten but its very rare and the process to even begin ownership of one is very lengthy and expensive. Most people who own a full auto are collectors. The weapon must have existed before 1986 as newer Full Auto weapons are fully banned for civilian ownership. They basically used a grandfather clause in older weapons. Roughly 120,000 "Machine Guns" are in civilian ownership.

There are methods to simulate full auto that go into grey areas. Some states have banned them and others are looking at it and of course some people will illegally modify weapons.

IIRC, you can get licenses for those types of weapons (and more). Obv. they are much more highly regulated.

Full Auto weapons can be gotten but its very rare and the process to even begin ownership of one is very lengthy and expensive. Most people who own a full auto are collectors. The weapon must have existed before 1986 as newer Full Auto weapons are fully banned for civilian ownership. They basically used a grandfather clause in older weapons. Roughly 120,000 "Machine Guns" are in civilian ownership.

There are methods to simulate full auto that go into grey areas. Some states have banned them and others are looking at it and of course some people will illegally modify weapons.
Okay, that makes more sense then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom