• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Chan allows .webm format, world rejoices

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the Neogaf extension?

I actually installed the Neogaf webm extension, went over to 4chan, and was able to view webms without any issues.

Is it simply a matter of having the correct extension, or does the website need to permit something to allow users to post and view webms?

(apologies for the extreme ignorance on this subject)

4chan natively supports embedding WebMs, so no script is required. NeoGAF does not natively support embedding WebMs, but it's possible (using aforementioned script) to hack embedding support on. However, said script does not work elsewhere (due to Greasemonkey restrictions).

Cse

Banned
4chan natively supports embedding WebMs, so no script is required. NeoGAF does not natively support embedding WebMs, but it's possible (using aforementioned script) to hack embedding support on. However, said script does not work elsewhere (due to Greasemonkey restrictions).

Got it. Thanks.

Modification of the script would allow one to embed and view webms on other websites that don't provide native support, right?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No, what is the source? I don't think they rerendered the PS1 intro screens on PS3.

Oh. Oh!

ePSXe or PCSX, I think. It's emulator or a capture card. I'm going with emulator. I dunno, anonymous poster uploaded it in /v/.

Jarmel

Banned
Alright so are there good instructions anywhere for a simple conversion from something like mkv to webm? I'm using Gfycat right now and was wondering if there was a better way of doing it.

edit:nvm

Dead Man

Correct. But Andy hasn't fixed it with things like the greasemonkey script. I'm curious how you open the script in Chrome.

hoping to use the Greasemonkey one to add the play button and prevent auto-play. lol that first page is powerful

Ah, got you now, sorry. Can't help with that.

Ideally (at least for me) an option to autoplay videos when under a specified file size limit would be perfect, eg:

If under [ 1MB ] autoplay.

That way the smaller videos (typically reaction gifs) could play automatically while the larger ones could be static until clicked.

That would be perfection.

-GJ-

For Chrome users: Right click > save as... on the Install button on the Userscript page. Save it to your desktop or something. Then drag and drop the .js file from your desktop/download folder/whatever to the extensions page in Chrome and hit Install.

TheSeks

For Chrome users: Right click > save as... on the Install button on the Userscript page. Save it to your desktop or something. Then drag and drop the .js file from your desktop/download folder/whatever to the extensions page in Chrome and hit Install.

That works. Neat.

Not an official extension on the Chrome store, but whatever.

UrbanRats

Installed the Delusibeta/Andrex script for Firefox, it works great (although FireFox crashed once).

One thing though, some of the video say something like "MIME format not supported" or something of the sort.. is the link the dead or what? Others work just fine.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Anyone want to test YouTube Me Again with WebP support?

After this test I'll make a Chrome extension.

Script: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14626536/userscripts/ytma-test.user.js

Once installed, you should see the WebPlay Me! button next to links.

fFydoje.png

b5TCwCo.png

Somnid

By the way, this thread is far less about WebM than it is about HTML5 video. H264 and H265 are just as good if not better than WebM.

TheSeks

is there a way to play them on Windows 8.1? seems like I need an app for it ><

VLC?

You'd probably need one for Win8.0 or earlier anyway. WebM isn't a native video format for most OS.

The best thing ever would be if everyone on NeoGF switched to gfycat image hosting for GIFs, and if the script detects a .gif hosted on gfycat, then it'll automatically switch to the webm version.

is there a way to play them on Windows 8.1? seems like I need an app for it ><

If you mean you wnt to play webm files on a web page, that's a task that the browser does on its own. Either use a diferent browser such as Chrome, Opera, or Firefox, or download the WebM extension for IE. (I think this is it.)

If you mean you want to play downloaded webm files, then install a codec pack. I like Shark Win 8 codecs, but others have their own preferences like CCCP or K-Lite.

It's funny you say that, because GIF was actually under patents, too. It's why the PNG format was created, IIRC. The patents have recently expired, though.

FStop7

Banned
Is this the end of the GIF/JIF pronunciation wars?

Or is it the beginning of the "WEB M" / "WEBBEM" pronunciation wars?

Somnid

Except in actual implementation, usage, and practice?

Implementation is irrelevant, as Andrex shows it's 10 lines of code to shim it, it's only a few more characters to add other formats.

In usage and practice webM is used far less than h264 and has less browser support. The reason people complain about CPU usage is because webM hardware decoding is in its infancy but H264 would perform well even on most phones due to ubiquitousness and hardware decoding.

It's just a political choice. Getting high framerate, well compressed animations is due to HTML5 video, not the particular format.

I mean outside of a browser
I used to use MPC-HC on my Windows 7 installations haha

After using one of the codec packs I mentioned, you can play webm files in any of your media players, including Windows Media Player.

I should have mentioned you can also just download the video player VLC. It'll play pretty much anything and everything without the need to install a codec pack.

wilflare

After using one of the codec packs I mentioned, you can play webm files in any of your media players, including Windows Media Player.

I should have mentioned you can also just download the video player VLC. It'll play pretty much anything and everything without the need to install a codec pack.

thanks. hoping not to install a codec pack actually (had a really bad time with them)

anyone got this to work on Safari/Macbook?

jediyoshi

Implementation is irrelevant, as Andrex shows it's 10 lines of code to shim it, it's only a few more characters to add other formats.

In usage and practice webM is used far less than h264 and has less browser support. The reason people complain about CPU usage is because webM hardware decoding is in its infancy but H264 would perform well even on most phones due to ubiquitousness and hardware decoding.

Irrelevant? I'm literally talking just about this thread

By the way, this thread is far less about WebM than it is about HTML5 video. H264 and H265 are just as good if not better than WebM.

I'm not even sure the distinction you're trying to make, the title and OP are very explicitly talking about 4chan's implementation of a very specific format.

Somnid

You mean by choosing webm over h.264? Afaik it was because of licensing costs.

4chan doesn't pay licensing costs either way.

Irrelevant? I'm literally talking just about this thread

I'm not even sure the distinction you're trying to make, the title and OP are very explicitly talking about 4chan's implementation of a very specific format.

We stopped talking about that halfway through page 1.

You mean by choosing webm over h.264? Afaik it was because of licensing costs.

As I understand it, there is no guarantee that H.264 is going to be free permanently, unlike WebM. Bluntly, the two main holdouts of WebM support (Microsoft and Apple) would probably be the main benefactors in H.264 adoption.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't work on Chrome iOS, sigh.

pretty big negative there. but everyone should just switch to it immediately and pointedly ignore anything that doesn't support it. Drag people inline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom