• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Chan allows .webm format, world rejoices

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Work on the options page for Chrome is coming along well. Dunno if I'll finish it tonight.

Coreda

Works for me.

Edit: though I'm worried if there are copyright issues with webm excerpts, mainly those ones that have sound. Also the moderation does not seem to happy with the recent boom.

GAF mods? Haven't read anything like that from them yet. Curious, as GIFs are essentially doing the same thing, just at a lower quality and without sound. So far the tests I've made using PotPlayer have disabled sound before they were encoded.

rpmurphy

I got a temp ban for my Dropbox public folder earlier. I guess I chewed through 20GB of bandwidth for the ones I posted in the Gaming-side thread. lol thanks Andrex for your fancy extension.

Just felt like I wanted to post this: Akari~n

whitehawk

Banned
Anyone want to test YouTube Me Again with WebP support?

After this test I'll make a Chrome extension.

Script: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14626536/userscripts/ytma-test.user.js

Once installed, you should see the WebPlay Me! button next to links.

fFydoje.png

b5TCwCo.png
Just tested it with Chrome, works great! Although the best case scenario would be to have an image preview automatically.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
WebM for NeoGAF 1.2

Unfortunately it may take a bit:

zdvlcvN.png

To get it faster, you might be able to go to chrome://extensions, enable Developer mode, and click "Update extensions now."

VtLN7lh.png

Let me know if there are any bugs, this is my first brush with the Chrome sync API (your choices on the option page will sync across all your desktop installations of Chrome.)

It does seem like Opera supports this API too, so whenever that version of the extension is approved it will also feature this options page.

lgpyXTf.png

WebM for NeoGAF 1.2

To get it faster, you might be able to go to chrome://extensions, enable Developer mode, and click "Update extensions now."

Let me know if there are any bugs, this is my first brush with the Chrome sync API (your choices on the option page will sync across all your desktop installations of Chrome.)

It does seem like Opera supports this API too, so whenever that version of the extension is approved it will also feature this options page.

The chrome store was up to date for me just now with version 1.2. All installed and the options configure/work just fine. Thanks mate.

Aeana

Andrex, is auto-play on by default? I think it would be a good idea for it to be an opt-in thing rather than a default setting, considering how detrimental it has been for people here.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The chrome store was up to date for me just now with version 1.2. All installed and the options configure/work just fine. Thanks mate.

Nice, happy to hear it's working. I remember when I was doing option stuff for the Animal Crossing Music extension it was bugging out on people after I uploaded it, which made me wary of it haha.

Andrex, is auto-play on by default? I think it would be a good idea for it to be an opt-in thing rather than a default setting, considering how detrimental it has been for people here.

Autoplay is on by default in order to seamlessly reproduce the GIF experience. I think, the people having performance issues are due to this being a shiny new thing and everyone posting WebM's a lot on the same page. This problem will largely resolve itself, I feel.

I would add another behavior to play only on roll-over.

That's a really good idea. :)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Not sure if it's just me, but with the Chrome extension, if I have click to play on and I pause one, clicking play on another will also unpause the previous one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Not sure if it's just me, but with the Chrome extension, if I have click to play on and I pause one, clicking play on another will also unpause the previous one.

Interesting. Thanks for this post.

Branduil

I would add another behavior to play only on roll-over.

Probably starting on roll-over and stopping when you roll-over another one would be a good way to implement that.

An option for only the webms currently on screen to play would probably also be good. Especially as the default.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Looking into a way to pause videos when they're not within the viewport, similar to how Facebook currently handles things.

Probably starting on roll-over and stopping when you roll-over another one would be a good way to implement that.

An option for only the webms currently on screen to play would probably also be good. Especially as the default.

Haha, great minds think alike. :p

wilflare

WebM for NeoGAF 1.2

zdvlcvN.png

VtLN7lh.png

lgpyXTf.png

any chance for a Safari extension for this please :X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom