• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Chan allows .webm format, world rejoices

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
WebM for NeoGAF (Chrome) 1.3

- Added "hover-to-play" option.
- Added max-height option.
- Added Credits page in Options.

RzJhYt2.png

It's nice that chrome recignizes that sound is playing via webm, and it puts a speaker icon in a tab.

Grinchy

Banned
This is blowing my mind. Some of the videogame webms on /v/ are so damn good. This is going to be a new way of seeing how awesome games really look in motion.

NeoGAF really needs to adopt WebM/HTML5. It's something I've been pondering recently.

gyfcat.com does a great job of converting gifs to HTML5 videos with no audio.

Look at this GIF:

AlertSpicyBlueandgoldmackaw.gif

GIF Version: 4.5 MB
HTML 5 Version: 286 KB

View HTML5 version here: http://gfycat.com/about

GIFs are resource heavy and outdated.

gycat is a great example for real-world proof that GIFs need to go and WebM is a great way to do it.

Coreda

Would it be possible to implement this as an option?:

Ideally (at least for me) an option to autoplay videos when under a specified file size limit would be perfect, eg:

If under [ 1MB ] autoplay.

That way the smaller videos (typically reaction gifs) could play automatically while the larger ones could be static until clicked.

Would be perfect for some of us.

It does that for height now, I was worried about width being a little tricky but on reflection it shouldn't be.

Glad to see max-width is coming, too :)

Robin64

That baseball video webm plays like absolute shit on this work PC, compared to gifs which are always as smooth as they are made. Not impressed yet.

Great work Andrex!

Only other thing I really need is to know how big each webm is. Even if it's just through an Image Properties extension like I already had with gifs.

This changes everything! Really impressive stuff, my shitty internet connection bows before our new animated image overlord!

Now to find out how I can make high quality .webm files with Photoshop, is it even possible, guess not right?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
all the webMs there seem to open up in their own tab though

that's how 4chan works.

Not any more, and hasn't been that way for a long time. 4chan has it's own inline extension built in. You can expand them in thread by changing your personal (cookie-saved) setting in that little setting link at the top of the page.

Or by using a Chrome Extension like 4chan Plus, but hey, either way.

TCRS

Banned
Not any more, and hasn't been that way for a long time. 4chan has it's own inline extension built in. You can expand them in thread by changing your personal (cookie-saved) setting in that little setting link at the top of the page.

Or by using a Chrome Extension like 4chan Plus, but hey, either way.

oh wow, it has even youtube embedding. I never knew.

edit: expanding webms seems to work for me.

Nice, I converted my Photoshop GIF (.psd file) to MP4 video file and then converted it to webm using VLC and it worked.

Will look into that webP plugin later from the OT, just managed to save a single image from the animated GIF in Photoshop using that plugin.

http://a.pomf.se/oicbfc.webm

;)

With GIF I had a good excuse using only half or a third of the frames, because of file size, but now this isn't a problem any longer...but editing 24 fps in PS would be a pain.

Edit: lol, my webm file is supposed to be 2 hours and 12 minutes long according to the player, hmm what have I done?

TheOGB

Banned
Nice, I converted my Photoshop GIF to MP4 video file and then converted it to webm using VLC and it worked.

Will look into that webP plugin later from the OT, just managed to save a single image from the animated GIF in Photoshop using that plugin.

http://a.pomf.se/oicbfc.webm

;)

With GIF I had a good excuse using only half or a third of the frames, because of file size, but now this isn't a problem any longer...but editing 24 fps in PS would be a pain.

Edit: lol, my webm file is supposed to be 2 hours and 12 minutes long according to the player, hmm what have I done?
I made one with VLC earlier and it came out 80 minutes long. I don't think that's the right way to go about making these.

SJRB

Gold Member
Well it was fun while it lasted, the Chrome extension is bringing my processor to its knees.

B55QvGd.png

The massive drop is after I disabled the extension and refreshed the page. This is on 100 posts per page, perhaps I should bring it back to 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom