• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

62% of people pretend to have read classic novels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read 5/10 (LOTR, 1984, CiTR, Jane Eyre, and TKaM) and seen Bride and Prejudice. I read Jane and CitR in high school, so I barely remember them, and I only watched Bride for the hot Indian women.

The feel of 60 pct.

Zoc

I have no problem with people who haven't read many books, because it's pretty hard for most people to get the kind of big chunks of quiet alone time that you need to really dig your teeth into them. People who proudly say they don't want to read something, or even never want to read anything, instantly go on my mental ignore list.

Anyway, not all of those books are equally good, but they are all worth reading, even LOTR. The only one I haven't read is "A Passage to India," but it's in good company, so I think I'll get a copy.

RDreamer

I've read most of those because I had an AP English class in High School. I couldn't tell you much of anything about them anymore, though, except whether I liked them or not. My brain really doesn't retain story details for very long, unfortunately, so most would probably think I haven't read any of 'em.

Goldrush

Also if someone ask, I'm going to say I read Pride and Prejudice. I read Pride and Prejudice and Zombie and it reads like they just replace a few words with zombies.

A lot of younger people hate the protagonist because they view him as whiny and angsty, but in reality he's a reflection of who they are.
i0cXEorxJGfPU.gif

So like reactions to Shinji? Then I'll love it.

Chichikov

Cheers. Just wondering why that would be a spoiler but I bookmarked the name. Any other books?
You'll understand it when you read it.
As for other books, maybe you can elaborate a bit more what you mean in mysteris.
Are you looking for something that is structured like a classic mystery, where there is a big unanswered question that get figured out toward the end or are you looking for more general "make my head spin" type of writing?
If it's the latter, Borges' short stories (which is mostly what he wrote) are an obvious choice, they're very readible and very mindblowing.

If it's the former, then Chronicle of a Death Foretold fits the bill (I think, but regardless, it's a very good book).

Edit: and the Trial by Franz Kafka is both.

I really dug Catcher and Holden himself when I was 14. Even wrote a fanfic chapter for a class assignment. Having read over the synopsis a week or so ago, I thought he was a whiny bitch. So yeah, the Shinji comparison is pretty apt.

Blader

On that list, I've only read Great Expectations (which I hated) and To Kill A Mockingbird.

Catcher in the Rye, War and Peace, Crime and Punishment, and 1984 are the only other ones there I want to read. Maybe LOTR.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Of those I've read 1984, LOTR, catcher in the rye, great expectations and to kill a mockingbird. I can honestly say I enjoyed 1984 immensely and re-read it now and then but I wouldn't bother rereading any of the others.

Also I completely forgot what great expectations was about. So boring for me.

I'm surprised Shakespeare isn't on this list it do plays not count?

Necrovex

I read Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and Journey to the West, and found them both very very difficult to read.
Maybe it's the translation.

I attempted to read Romance, and I was defeated by all the Chinese names.

I want to give it another go, as I am a lot more accustomed to Asian names than I was back in high school. Plus Dyansty Warriors has trained me for that moment.

But you need to give Genji some love!

Out if those books I've read Lord of the Rings, A Passage to India, and To Kill a Mockingbird. I really enjoyed Lord of the Rings (read it a couple of times) and to Kill a Mockingbird but the only thing I remember of A Passage to India was that I hated it. As far as other classic novels not on the list I really loved The Count of Monte Cristo and Lord of the Flies.

Chichikov

But you need to give Genji some love!
Is is something that an English reader would find overly difficult?
I'm honestly asking, I'm just trying to set my expectation right, I'm not a stranger to reading difficult books, I read Proust and liked it, I read Ulysses and hated it
I read Tristram Shandy and said, nah, fuck it, I'll stick with A Cock and Bull Story :p
I just want to know if this is something I can take to beach vacation ;).
I heard it can be quite a slog for modern western readers.

I've read like 6 of those.

3 for school. Kind of shocked catcher in the rye, 1984 and Mockingbird are up there. Not hard to read and not long. Bang em out in a weekend.

War and Peace was actual work to get through though.

I'll never read Jane Eyre. Gross.

zsswimmer

A need to read the Lord of the Rings book, I just started A Song of Ice and Fire series and this shit is an addicting read. I got the series last Tuesday and I'm almost through with the Game of Thrones book :eek:

Necrovex

Is is something that an English reader would find overly difficult?
I'm honestly asking, I'm just trying to set my expectation right, I'm not a stranger to reading difficult books, I read Proust and liked it, I read Ulysses and hated it
I read Tristram Shandy and said, nah, fuck it, I'll stick with A Cock and Bull Story :p
I just want to know if this is something I can take to beach vacation ;).
I heard it can be quite a slog for modern western readers.

I haven't read Genji yet; I am reading it once I finish this current novel. But there are three different translations for this work. It seems like Tyler might be the best one for someone unfamiliar with the culture, as I hear he writes an intro prior to each chapter. I can get back to you once I finish Genji, which will probably be in October.

Well fuck it, I made it through the depressing slog that is Wuthering Heights, I get to brag about it.

Depressing? I thought Wuthering Heights was awesome. Heathcliff is awesome. I loved what he did to that one dude's sister. That dude's wrath was amazing.

Edit: Regarding Genji, the Tyler version is considered the definitive version for now. As a novel, I don't care for it that much though. Hearing about Genji's misadventures while trying to get laid is only interesting for so long. No need for a 1000+ pages of that shit.

A need to read the Lord of the Rings book, I just started A Song of Ice and Fire series and this shit is an addicting read. I got the series last Tuesday and I'm almost through with the Game of Thrones book :eek:
GoT is a lot easier to read than Lotr. It's still not that hard though as long as you actually want to read it (like most books).

NekoFever

I'm surprised Shakespeare isn't on this list it do plays not count?

The majority of people in the UK would have read at least a handful of Shakespeare plays in school, so they probably don't have to lie about it. Off the top of my head I did at least five and went into enough depth on all of them to know them pretty well.

I read a lot but I've only read three of the books in the OP (LOTR, 1984 and Great Expectations). Wouldn't feel the need to lie about the ones I haven't, though.

I've read like 6 of those.

3 for school. Kind of shocked catcher in the rye, 1984 and Mockingbird are up there. Not hard to read and not long. Bang em out in a weekend.

War and Peace was actual work to get through though.

I'll never read Jane Eyre. Gross.

I'd recommend reading Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea back to back. WSS is a prequel of sorts that changes your interpretation of everything in Jane. In a pretty horrifying way.

I've read 4 of the top 10. Most of what it's done is made me decide that being a "Classic" is seriously overrated.

Lord of the Rings I found genuinely enjoyable. To Kill a Mockingbird isn't something I'd read myself but I can understand how its considered a classic. Great Expectations could replace sleeping pills and serve as minor punishment. Catcher in the Rye didn't even reach that level, I have a really good memory and I remember very little of the book and most of what I do remember was terrible, at least it was relatively short ?

I have read most of those, only because I felt like I had to. I think the hardest one for me to get through was War and Peace. Its actually a pretty good read, but crum, was it challenging to get through the how things were written 200 years ago compared with today. Even sentence structure was different.

mclem

I've actually read 1984 by George Orwell. I'm so fly.

I read it when I was about fifteen. Not sure I could actually remember much of it now. The only one of those I've read, although I attempted LOTR a few times (and have read The Hobbit)

zsswimmer

GoT is a lot easier to read than Lotr. It's still not that hard though as long as you actually want to read it (like most books).

I really enjoy that style of genre so I think I'll like it, plus like you said if you like the book it isnt hard at all to dive right in. Any similar books/series that are like those two that I mentioned?

I really enjoy that style of genre so I think I'll like it, plus like you said if you like the book it isnt hard at all to dive right in. Any similar books/series that are like those two that I mentioned?
I'm not a fantasy guy, lots on here though so you'll get plenty of recommendations, but whenever people want something similar to game of thrones with it's houses, families, conflicts, and religions, I instantly say the Dune series. One of my favorites.

kswiston

I am not all that well read considering my education level (B.Sc., B.Ed., M.Sc.). From those books on the first page, I have only read Lord of the Rings and Great Expectations. I started reading War and Peace last year, but became busy after the first 100 pages or so and never returned to it. While I have not read 1984, I have read Brave New World, We, and Fahrenheit 451. I typically like classic sci fi dystopias, so I will get around to it one day.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I've read a decent amount of classic novels, but there are some that I will probably not ever read.

I went on a "read classic novels on the subway" kick about 5 months ago. Made it through 2 books and half of Moby Dick before I couldn't be bothered.

Zoc

Also, if people force themselves through books without thinking about them, they won't get anything out of them. Anyone who reads Jane Austen and says it's a "period romance" wasn't paying attention and may as well not have read it.

A case in point is Jane Austen. I read all of her books over one summer in high school, and it was legitimately a life-changing experience for me. They stories aren't about who marries who. In the best Jane Austen books, the main character has to learn to choose between one person who is charming but actually empty, and another person who is a true good person.

Also, if people force themselves through books without thinking about them, they won't get anything out of them. Anyone who reads Jane Austen and says it's a "period romance" wasn't paying attention and may as well not have read it.

A case in point is Jane Austen. I read all of her books over one summer in high school, and it was legitimately a life-changing experience for me. They stories aren't about who marries who. In the best Jane Austen books, the main character has to learn to choose between one person who is charming but actually empty, and another person who is a true good person.
Sounds like a romance to me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom