• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jez Corden] Hotly anticipated 'Black Myth: Wukong' is delayed on Xbox for 'optimizations' — and now, Microsoft has responded

StueyDuck

I vaguely remember a similar statement with baldurs gate 3 which then turned out to be a series S and parity issue (in that case co-op)

This is an unknown Chinese dev using UE5 after all. And Sony has the China hero project and has had for a while now.

Chances are they just aren't experienced enough for multiplatform release

shaquille-oneal-laughing-spit-take-aj5tw91nkxh4nbe7.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

First, the game was delayed in XSX with just 2 months left before its release. That tells me that the most logical reason in this case is the lack of adequate optimization, deadlines that are not met and prioritizing the platforms where the most sales will be generated. I remember, it is a new Studio without the experience of others. Perhaps they simply wanted to avoid another The Calisto Protocol case (where the problem was not XSS).

Having said that and secondly.... Why does no one (media, websites, users...) ever ask Sony about each of its multiple possible exclusivity agreements, the terms and duration of these?
In this same case, there is no harm in also asking or insisting to Sony on the possibility of some clarification of whether or not there is an agreement...... 🤷🏻 Every time MS signs an exclusivity agreement, a campaign is started to determine the terms, the Studios are harassed to declare the reasons..... 🤔

Because the media is too busy attacking PlayStation for having any exclusives whatsoever in the first place, especially if they're Final Fantasy games. Did you somehow miss all of the discourse the past year surrounding that? Or earlier this year for that matter?

I don't remember the media pressing MS on their exclusivity deal for STALKER 2 mind, or Echo Generation & Ravenlok...both of which are still console-exclusive to Xbox, BTW.

Astray

Just so people can understand, this game is rn the #1 wishlisted title on Steam, even surpassing Silksong.

This is going to be a much bigger launch than most anticipated and someone at Microsoft is absolutely seething that they won't be part of it.

sendit

Just so people can understand, this game is rn the #1 wishlisted title on Steam, even surpassing Silksong.

This is going to be a much bigger launch than most anticipated and someone at Microsoft is absolutely seething that they won't be part of it.
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but this has typical Asian MMO (i know its not a MMO)/gameplay written all over it.

This game won't sell two copies even if it was printed on two disc.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I hope there is a 60fps mode on console since this forum is blowing up about this. Imagine all this back and forth for a version that essentially doesn't exist lol

Stafford

Assuming it IS due to the S, MS really should drop that mandate on it. If it's working for XSX and can be out in August, it should be. Fuck this bullshit.

Astray

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but this has typical Asian MMO (i know its not a MMO)/gameplay written all over it.

This game won't sell two copies even if it was printed on two disc.
It's already the #7 bestseller on Steam globally. That's not just Chinese or Asian demand.

This is going to be a huge launch, Jez wouldn't be crying about it otherwise.

Assuming it IS due to the S, MS really should drop that mandate on it. If it's working for XSX and can be out in August, it should be. Fuck this bullshit.
That would essentially be throwing the Series S audience to the wolves. No dev would ever make a respectable port for it unless they uphold some standards.

The big mistake was launching with it in the 1st place.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member

PTSD in Baldur's gate 3.

I didn't think this thing was going to explode, but when you put it that way, it makes sense why Jez 'I'm not a journalist' Corden is working unpaid overtime to get to the truth of this story

Stafford

It's already the #7 bestseller on Steam globally. That's not just Chinese or Asian demand.

This is going to be a huge launch, Jez wouldn't be crying about it otherwise.

That would essentially be throwing the Series S audience to the wolves. No dev would ever make a respectable port for it unless they uphold some standards.

The big mistake was launching with it in the 1st place.

Yeah, I see your point. But man, it sucks.

Didn't they eventually allow Larian to drop split screen altogether for BG3? So in that way S owners already have a inferior experience. Well, the spokesperson said they are working with the dev, so hopefully it can be out in a reasonable time frame.

Neo_game

Lol Microsoft are saying that devs are lying and they actually got piad for timed exclusivity ? How would they know in what state the game is running on Xbox ?

Having said that, this game will probably struggle on PS5 and many PC as well. It looks pretty amazing.

Darsxx82

Because the media is too busy attacking PlayStation for having any exclusives whatsoever in the first place, especially if they're Final Fantasy games. Did you somehow miss all of the discourse the past year surrounding that? Or earlier this year for that matter?

??? The media attacking Sony for FF exclusives?? Rather, the first reactions and articles were always those of reasoning and praising the signing of these agreements 🙃

Every time MS announces an agreement of this type we all know that the complete terms will be known the next day because the massive pressure starts from the moment it is announced...

Whether it is because MS has historically been weaker against these campaigns and Sony is stronger (the famous blacklist) or whatever...anyone who sees equal treatment in that regard is lying to themselves.

I don't remember the media pressing MS on their exclusivity deal for STALKER 2 mind, or Echo Generation & Ravenlok...both of which are still console-exclusive to Xbox, BTW.

??? With Stalker 2 the next question to the Studio was where the PS5 version was. Articles affirming the multiplatformity of the game to undermine the potential of the agreement and criticizing the decision..... until just days later the terms and even the exact duration of the exclusivity time were leaked....(3 months). You don't see that in every Sony third party exclusive game.

Ravenlok and Echo Gen?? That you point out games of this caliber says it all.You will have missed it because, indeed as always, the first reactions were those of "when on PS5?" and disregarding the suitability of the agreement even when MS funds part or all of the development 🙃

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I see your point, but Echo Generation and Ravenlok are not even in the shadow of FF in terms of relevance and their profile. If you're going to start counting small games, it's gonna become a real long list.

Also, for the STALKER 2 deal, we already know its term from official documents. 99% of third parties don't usually reveal that kind of info.

Lol Microsoft are saying that devs are lying and they actually got piad for timed exclusivity ? How would they know in what state the game is running on Xbox ?

Games need to be certified by platform holders, they get to see it before it ships at least.

Last edited:

Astray

PTSD in Baldur's gate 3.
I expected it to be big-ish given how long it's been hyped, but I honestly never expected it to be THIS big.

I didn't think this thing was going to explode, but when you put it that way, it makes sense why Jez 'I'm not a journalist' Corden is working unpaid overtime to get to the truth of this story
Who says it's unpaid? This slimy bullshit is how he gets this level of access into MS.

Same goes for Tom Warren, but that guy is much smarter than Jez and has more going on in his life, so we get less lol moments out of him.

Having said that, this game will probably struggle on PS5 and many PC as well. It looks pretty amazing.
The PC spec sheet is stated with the assumption that FSR, DLSS or XeSS is being used. So %100 it's gonna use some sort of AI upscaling on Playstation 5 and Series X.

Whether that's a good or bad thing remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Elios83

If Sony had a deal they would push and advertise the game similarly to other partnerships.
I even doubted that the game was actually coming on consoles at all at the same time of PC.
Microsoft is just having another BG3 moment thanks to their completely failed Series S idea and some "journalists" are trying to deflect the blame to everyone but the actual culprit. The usual script that has destroyed the brand.

Neo_game

I see your point, but Echo Generation and Ravenlok are not even in the shadow of FF in terms of relevance and their profile. If you're going to start counting small games, it's gonna become a real long list.

Also, for the STALKER 2 deal, we already know its term from official documents. 99% of third parties don't usually reveal that kind of info.

Games need to be certified by platform holders, they get to see it before it ships at least.

This cannot be true because then most game probably would not even release, including CP 2077 on last gen consoles, many others including Microsoft own Forza and another exclusive which they are closing now was a 30fps FPS game. Also I doubt the game has also been submitted for that so called certification.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This cannot be true because then most game probably would not even release, including CP 2077 on last gen consoles, many others including Microsoft own Forza and another exclusive which they are closing now was a 30fps FPS game. Also I doubt the game has also been submitted for that so called certification.

Being 30 FPS wouldn't stop any game from being certified.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yeah, I see your point. But man, it sucks.

Didn't they eventually allow Larian to drop split screen altogether for BG3? So in that way S owners already have a inferior experience. Well, the spokesperson said they are working with the dev, so hopefully it can be out in a reasonable time frame.
Yes, MS let Larian drop the feature for Series S users.

This is a UE5 game, considering how so many of them run on console, I'm not totally surprised if this dev isn't happy with performance on a console (likely the Series S).

If Sony had a deal they would push and advertise the game similarly to other partnerships.
I even doubted that the game was actually coming on consoles at all at the same time of PC.
Microsoft is just having another BG3 moment thanks to their completely failed Series S idea and some "journalists" are trying to deflect the blame to everyone but the actual culprit. The usual script that has destroyed the brand.
I sound like a broken record but Jez's job is to go out there and put out BS to muddy the waters. He's a clown. I don't know why anyone who isn't totally in the bag for MS listens to him. There are much better websites and people to read for Xbox.

Last edited:

Neo_game

Being 30 FPS wouldn't stop any game from being certified.

I forgot the name of that game but it was no where near complete or deserved any sort of certification lol even by today's standard of game launches. Also not sure FPS game these days are 30fps, it was mainly an online co-op game I think. I do not think Microsoft has any idea about the development of this game or the state of this game or even if this game has been submitted for any sort of certification. They are not going to do the game testing for the devs. It`s not their job

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Gold Member
??? The media attacking Sony for FF exclusives?? Rather, the first reactions and articles were always those of reasoning and praising the signing of these agreements 🙃

Every time MS announces an agreement of this type we all know that the complete terms will be known the next day because the massive pressure starts from the moment it is announced...

Whether it is because MS has historically been weaker against these campaigns and Sony is stronger (the famous blacklist) or whatever...anyone who sees equal treatment in that regard is lying to themselves.

??? With Stalker 2 the next question to the Studio was where the PS5 version was. Articles affirming the multiplatformity of the game to undermine the potential of the agreement and criticizing the decision..... until just days later the terms and even the exact duration of the exclusivity time were leaked....(3 months). You don't see that in every Sony third party exclusive game.

Ravenlok and Echo Gen?? That you point out games of this caliber says it all.You will have missed it because, indeed as always, the first reactions were those of "when on PS5?" and disregarding the suitability of the agreement even when MS funds part or all of the development 🙃
PS sells a lot more, so more people want to know what the deal is when they make timed exclusivity deals with Xbox.

I vaguely remember a similar statement with baldurs gate 3 which then turned out to be a series S and parity issue (in that case co-op)

This is an unknown Chinese dev using UE5 after all. And Sony has the China hero project and has had for a while now.

Chances are they just aren't experienced enough for multiplatform release
They are so inexperienced they didn't realize they need to contract someone to manufacture physical discs for a physical release

I'm still amazed these guys tried to go it alone their first time with worldwide physical console launch instead of securing a publisher who knows how to get stuff like discs made and boxes printed done

sendit

Jesus, just when I thought the thread couldnt get any worse.
My opinion on the game hasn't changed because it is being delayed on the Xbox. A console that I don't even own. This game looks like triple A trash with a shiny graphic coating (like Hellblade 2).

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
My opinion on the game hasn't changed because it is being delayed on the Xbox. A console that I don't even own. This game looks like triple A trash with a shiny graphic coating (like Hellblade 2).

Opinions are opinions but your post was factually incorrect in both accounts: the game doesn't play like a MMO (let alone Hellblade, lol) and it's already selling like crazy. Quite the opposite from the truth.

By the way, Sony is funding another great-looking game Phantom Blade Zero, and this has been announced for XBOX, even after the heavy Sony involvement, so taking into account that game, Stellar Blade and a bunch of other Asian partnerships, it's FUD to blame Sony on this. There's a point in which ignorance cannot be excused.

Last edited:
End of the day they are all guilty of it. No matter who does it I will always see it as annoying as fuck and yeah, sadly it's also just business.

The person that gave info about the game and also a demo, seemingly a "insider" said that the Xbox version is planned between end of this year-February next year. That would be doable for me, since so much other promising stuff is coming.

One thing though, Sony has been marketing Wukong quite significantly since SGF. So, who knows.

Everyone except you, adamsapple, and topher apparently!

sendit

Opinions are opinions but your post was factually incorrect in both accounts: the game doesn't play like a MMO (let alone Hellblade, lol) and it's already selling like crazy. Quite the opposite from the truth.

By the way, Sony is funding another great-looking game Phantom Blade Zero, and this has been announced for XBOX, even after the heavy Sony involvement, so taking into account that game, Stellar Blade and a bunch of other Asian partnerships, it's FUD to blame Sony on this. There's a point in which ignorance cannot be excused.
The game pre-selling well is not an indication of it being a good game......

The game looks like your typical Chinese developed action game. Prove me wrong. This goes the same with Phantom Blade Zero. I lump all those trash games in the same boat.

The game pre-selling well is not an indication of it being a good game......

The game looks like your typical Chinese developed action game. Prove me wrong. This goes the same with Phantom Blade Zero. I lump all those trash games in the same boat.
Wukong has been hands-on previewed by many journalists. All the previews I have read seem to indicate its going to be a very good to great game, with some journalists saying it is a GOTY contender. The game may not be your bag, but for people who love the action genre, it seems like the real deal

sendit

Wukong has been hands-on previewed by many journalists. All the previews I have read seem to indicate its going to be a very good to great game, with some journalists saying it is a GOTY contender. The game may not be your bag, but for people who love the action genre, it seems like the real deal
A fairly new developer, Game Science with one game in its back log (a strategy game) gets positive previews for Wukong.

A respected developer, CDProject Red with multiple games in its back log gets positive previews for Cyberpunk 2077.

Last edited:

fallingdove

The game looks good. We’ll see if it has the level of polish necessary to stand out. Lies of P was in a similar boat prior to release. Sadly, the game failed to capture my attention.
What is a typical Chinese developed action game? Can you cite one that has released recently?

A fairly new developer, Game Science with one game in its back log (a strategy game) gets positive previews for Wukong.

A respected developer, CDProject Red with multiple games in its back log gets positive previews for Cyberpunk 2077.
I assume when you are talking about "Chinese" developed games, you really mean misleading/fake games leading up to launch. Nothing is fake about Wukong. It is not a scam or anything of that nature. Looks to be a really good game by a developer making their first AAA game, similar to Stellar Blade earlier this year

And Cyberpunk ran pretty well on PC on release, which is the only platform journalists played the game when previewing. Not a good example

MarkMe2525

Some of you guys give way too much credit to MS. It was most likely just a poorly worded statement, from a random MS community outreach employee, addressing a few on social media that were speculating that "Sony paid for first release". Unless I am mistaken, the article also fails to provide us with the actual question that this MS employee responded to. For all we know, the question could have brought up a potential "paid agreement" scenario. The idea that they were cleverly wording statements to feed console warrior discourse, just doesn't seem credible.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Some of you guys give way too much credit to MS. It was most likely just a poorly worded statement, from a random MS community outreach employee, addressing a few on social media that were speculating that "Sony paid for first release". Unless I am mistaken, the article also fails to provide us with the actual question that this MS employee responded to. For all we know, the question could have brought up a potential "paid agreement" scenario. The idea that they were cleverly wording statements to feed console warrior discourse, just doesn't seem credible.
There was an IGN interview years ago with Phil Spencer, the creator of the OG Xbox and someone else. in that interview they suggested that they were victims of corporate espionage by Sony.

and we have the constant whining from Phil regarding PS aggressiveness.

is very clear that Xbox uses their shills to shape the discourse.

Top Bottom