• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jez Corden] Hotly anticipated 'Black Myth: Wukong' is delayed on Xbox for 'optimizations' — and now, Microsoft has responded

Probably going to see a lot more of these types of deals going forward considering Sony 1P studios have 5-7 year prod cycles .
As in deals that don't exist?

Sometimes I think I am the only one not taking crazy pills. But then I realized there are legal adults today who have never known a time when the console they buy can't expect the majority of AAA games to run on it. It must be the luxury of youth to believe that there is some law demanding every major console get to have every 3rd party game.

There was the Gamecube, and then before that there was the Dreamcast. That is what it feels like to lose a console war. Youngsters these days had forgotten what Console wars are FOR.

He says that others see an alternative reality...... and then his reference that Sony suffered massive criticism campaigns for its third party exclusivity are articles from Windows Central, Tom Warren and the usual Xbox fans on Twitter.
To say that the media in general were participants and defenders of the ABK acquisition agreement when to this day they continue to penalize MS with articles that border on the shameful.....🤷🏻

The reality is that of generalist and supposedly neutral media being silent and cautious when dealing with Sony's exclusivity agreements with third parties depriving XBOX users of games like FF and other big franchises (not small and new Indi IPs of which Sony also doubles or triples Xbox). Typical articles trying to make you believe that games like SFV or FF wouldn't exist without supposed funding from Sony, or arguing the suitability of them being exclusive or inventing reasons to justify their non-release on XBOX... That's what you usually see, not articles massive lawsuits demanding and forcing the Studio or publisher to clarify whether a future version on Xbox is a real possibility in order not to remove the value and effects that are pursued with these agreements.

And yes, not even close to media pressure to clarify the terms of the agreements. Media asking about PS5 versions instead of the game itself or articles belittling the attractiveness of the exclusivity agreement "because we know it is only temporal exclusive and you can wait and not buy an Xbox or PC" etc...
Whether you want to see it or not, that's what's been happening. A clear historical unequal treatment.

That's it. Xbox, call up Al Sharpton!

Why do you think a Xbox Series version was never announced? Yes, it was different, because you literally have the devs of Black Myth: Wukong saying that the Xbox Series version is coming later.
What do you think happened to the PC version of Stellar Blade. Guess Sony happened.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Views like this one are weird lol... Like, it's doesn't matter what people in the company feel, they are running a business and their actions will follow simple fact lol
Yeah I agree, very weird, it was Spencer himself that talked of Doom being "a franchise that I think everyone deserves to play" I was just taking the piss out of his nonsense.

Crayon

Making Xbox a line of pc's that can somehow play the back catalog to Xbox including the bc games is the smart thing to do. Lets people not get screwed out of their collection and start phasing out releases for the console mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: XXL

IDappa

I think you misunderstand MS' strategy here. In internal emails MS referred to gamepass like this: "which is now our new platform" or something similar to that. Their strategy revolves around gamepass and they know store sales for premium games would be miniscule which is why there are rumours of allowing other stores to begin with. They're banking on premium game sales to tank, they know that's what gamepass is reducing. They don't have anything to lose because they know they're pushing gamepass on it and if they lose those miniscule xbox game sales at least they retain the mtx money on gamepass and the attractiveness of games that didn't come to their store but came to PC/steam on their hardware. Their hardware they're likely to charge high prices for too if they allow it to be open. They're charging extortionate prices even now, $599 for a four years old XSX to be able to keep a disc drive.
Special edition console with a different aesthetic? Not just a disc drive thing. While I couldn’t really care for their new console editions these sorts of special consoles have always been this way. I also don’t see anybody discounting hardware these day, especially to the extend of previous generations. They’ll do what Nintendo to and not sell at a loss if anything. Seems like you have a bit of conjecture in your reasoning, “they’re banking on premium game sales to tank” doesn’t make much sense especially as the platform holder they get a cut out of sales of games. I can’t remember where I saw it, may of been the ftc leaks but they are meant to be doubling down on the flash deals and big sales. Can already see that thinking in their current storefront.
Have you seen the software sale numbers for Xbox this gen??

LOL

Nobody is "investing" in the Xbox Store anymore...

Once you put Steam on a MS Box, you might as well shut it down for good

It's completely pointless to make a SKU for it
I know without acti/blizz their software and surfaces would of only been up by a percent which isn’t desirable I’m sure but I thought in previous earning they software/services weren’t to bad especially without selling consoles. I think you’re downplaying how casuals actually look at things and only coming from a hardcore perspective. If marketed right and priced right (big if as Microsoft have sucked with that) then it could be fairly big. Your hardcore fans are going to dig into the deals across the board as they do now on pc with such things as humble bundle/gog and such and your casuals will most likely be happy with what they boot into. Idk maybe they’ll set it up to list all games owned across multiple storefronts in your owned games and apps, bit of conjecture but it’s exciting to think about.
I see it like chrome and internet explorer. Hard to go back when you tried something way better.
Okay.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yeah I agree, very weird, it was Spencer himself that talked of Doom being "a franchise that I think everyone deserves to play" I was just taking the piss out of his nonsense.
Well, for those of us knowing what a company is and what means doing business those empty words means nothing, in the end it's a matter of profiting at any point, even if that's always about money, in the small scope out short term it can mean whatever the company internally decides.

As long as I can play this games on PC I won't care anyway.

anthony2690

Honestly I'd probably just wait and see how this pans out.

They probably focused on ps5 for obvious reasons like bigger install base, especially in Asian territories so a series s and x version will come later.

I feel like the response could be a generic response from someone at Microsoft who doesn't know.

As far as I am aware wukong hasn't been shown at any Sony events and Sony has not been advertising exclusivity.

MacReady13

Why is he having a sook over this 1 game? Microsoft just spend Australia’s annual GDP on buying video game companies to get exclusives for their fucking shithouse sub service and these clowns are getting riled up over 1 fucking game not being released on Xbox when it’s released on PlayStation? Spare me…

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It wouldn't surprise me either way to be honest.

Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot and mouth again....

...Or Sony having a light year for first party exclusives so they have identified games with significant hype that they can secure deals on. If this is the case, I can see why they are keeping quiet because this game specifically was marketed completed different to their usual third party exclusives. It was announced as multiplatform to begin with, so this would be the very definition of a late game money hat, which could ruffle feathers.

Still, I am in the camp that this is an play by Microsoft to initiate conversations like this. As they seem to keep making these stumbles with messaging.

Negotiator101

Gold Member
Why is he having a sook over this 1 game? Microsoft just spend Australia’s annual GDP on buying video game companies to get exclusives for their fucking shithouse sub service and these clowns are getting riled up over 1 fucking game not being released on Xbox when it’s released on PlayStation? Spare me…
Yeah because your impartiality in the matter is apparent 🙄

MacReady13

Yeah because your impartiality in the matter is apparent 🙄
Not sure what that has to do with anything. I'm speaking to the fact that if Microshaft can spend 70 billion dollars to buy companies out so their sub service can survive, then shit like this is trivial. Big deal, they don't get 1 game on day 1. Who gives a fuck? They're getting Indiana Jones cause they purchased that company. Should Sony complain that it isn't coming to Playstation day and date of release on Xbox? I mean, eventually it WILL come to Playstation but why not day 1? Seriously, who cares???

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Obviously hired a bunch of Tim Dog man babies to manage their PR.
Coming Soon Wink Wink GIF by Age Of Empires Community

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The fight over this game is silly from all fronts. The delayed conversation is more interesting than the game itself.

Last edited:

Three

Special edition console with a different aesthetic? Not just a disc drive thing. While I couldn’t really care for their new console editions these sorts of special consoles have always been this way. I also don’t see anybody discounting hardware these day, especially to the extend of previous generations. They’ll do what Nintendo to and not sell at a loss if anything. Seems like you have a bit of conjecture in your reasoning, “they’re banking on premium game sales to tank” doesn’t make much sense especially as the platform holder they get a cut out of sales of games. I can’t remember where I saw it, may of been the ftc leaks but they are meant to be doubling down on the flash deals and big sales. Can already see that thinking in their current storefront.
The only one with a disc drive was the "special edition", the ones that weren't had a disc drive removed and were still more expensive. The 30% cut they are getting is small. Especially if you look at software sales on the xbox platform.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

...Or Sony having a light year for first party exclusives so they have identified games with significant hype that they can secure deals on. If this is the case, I can see why they are keeping quiet because this game specifically was marketed completed different to their usual third party exclusives. It was announced as multiplatform to begin with, so this would be the very definition of a late game money hat, which could ruffle feathers.
yxfMVQI.gif

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Opinions are opinions but your post was factually incorrect in both accounts: the game doesn't play like a MMO (let alone Hellblade, lol) and it's already selling like crazy. Quite the opposite from the truth.

By the way, Sony is funding another great-looking game Phantom Blade Zero, and this has been announced for XBOX, even after the heavy Sony involvement, so taking into account that game, Stellar Blade and a bunch of other Asian partnerships, it's FUD to blame Sony on this. There's a point in which ignorance cannot be excused.
You got a link that blade zero has been announced for Xbox?!?

IDappa

The only one with a disc drive was the "special edition", the ones that weren't had a disc drive removed and were still more expensive. The 30% cut they are getting is small. Especially if you look at software sales on the xbox platform.
The ones with the disc drives removed have expanded storage, would assume this is why.

30 percent is small? I would argue the opposite tbh.

Top Bottom