• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello downplays XBO/PS4 difference in Tomb Raider; "we just shipped"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source that Sony will not upclock post launch is that it makes zero sense and is frankly a laughable suggestion. They would have worse yields and no developer could take advantage of the extra speed because they have already sold 4.2 million PS4s which have to run the games as well. MS was able to upclock because they hadn't begun full production.

The memory thing, I already said PS4 solution will always be better. But making optimal use of esram is not straight forward and given more time developers will figure out how to do it better.

samuel_L_Jackson.gif

Alienous

Sometimes I feel bad and embarrassed by how poorly some members of this community treat people like Major Nelson or Albert Penello. Maybe they did things wrong or misrepresented certain things, but it doesn't give people license to treat them like shit (especially for the fact that they are themselves members of the NeoGAF community). And these same people wonder why Penello doesn't 'show his face and explain himself'.

Sometimes these people say downright ridiculous and wrong things, but come on guys, show some class. Imagine someone went through your post history and started shitting all over comments you made and create a forum meme about it?

GAF'll make you or break you.

There's a Schreier for every Hryb. There's a Yoshida for every Penello. But if you come at the king, you best not miss.

Nafai1123

Banned
No, he doesn't. It's best he stays out of Gaf. We don't need PR here.

Agreed. If you're reading this Al, I would highly recommend just staying away from GAF altogether. It's nothing personal, but you are a PR mouthpiece that continues to spread false information in the attempt to downplay those differences that enthusiasts like myself actually do care about. Any comments you make attempting to downplay the difference will be met with contempt and ridicule here, because the fact is we know more than you want us to, and we can sniff out bullshit like no other. At this point there is nothing you can say that will change the argument, so it's best to just leave it alone. It's for your own good.

flkraven

We've had that happen. People went through the posting history, pointed out lies hypocrisy and deceit and those members got banned for deliberately lying.

I agree that that specific image is in poor taste. We don't need to insult, we just use his words and laugh about that because he is a clown.

Right. I think there can be a healthy balance somewhere in the middle between calling someone out on their lies vs being downright mean and lowering yourself to an embarrassing level.

gogogow

He's gonna keep doing this the entire generation, won't he? The PS4 has more powerful HW inside, that's just a fact. Period.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Sometimes I feel bad and embarrassed by how poorly some members of this community treat people like Major Nelson or Albert Penello. Maybe they did things wrong or misrepresented certain things, but it doesn't give people license to treat them like shit (especially for the fact that they are themselves members of the NeoGAF community). And these same people wonder why Penello doesn't 'show his face and explain himself'.

Sometimes these people say downright ridiculous and wrong things, but come on guys, show some class. Imagine someone went through your post history and started shitting all over comments you made and create a forum meme about it?

They are corporate figure heads, not really a part of this community as shown by their lack of posting in threads outside of XBO related topics (at least with Penello). People here will remember their errors more than others because of said ties with the corporation.

Nymphae

Banned
"It's like, we're the movie theater that has all the blockbuster movies, and has the most screens, and then somebody has figured out that there's also another movie theater that has less screens but if you look at this one movie, like, sometimes it looks better on their screen. And in our movie theater, sometimes some of our movies look better.

That is some next level spin.

How does this analogy work?

A) You don't have ALL the blockbuster movies.
B) Most screens? What does this mean? Your competition has second screen capability as well. Is he referring to how many people can be served content? Because they are not in first place...
C) " if you look at this one movie, like, sometimes it looks better on their screen" - go fuck yourself.
D) "And in our movie theater, sometimes some of our movies look better." - My god.

I think it's a pretty big stretch to call them members of the community. Yeah they've got accounts but they don't really participate or anything.

Jomjom

Banned

I agree with you that personal attacks are uncalled for.

I disagree with the part I bolded. Him not showing his face and explaining himself has nothing to do with people being mean to him. People were insulting him prior to the Xbone's release, but he still posted all the time. Back then he was willing to take it because he needed to ensure a successful launch, and people couldn't prove he was being dishonest because the console was not released yet. Now that the console is out and has had a successful launch, and people CAN prove that he's being dishonest, there's no reason and no benefit to posting here.

They are corporate figure heads, not really a part of this community as shown by their lack of posting in threads outside of XBO related topics (at least with Penello).

Penello got an account a few months before launch, posted in threads spreading shoddy PR, stopped posting literally hours after launch and hasn't been seen since. I don't think anyone considers him a part of this community.

hawk2025

I agree. In fact, as a community we should avoid giving ammo to detractors that can point out to the weakest links and say "see? zero respect. They have no idea of what they are talking about."

The criticism should be sharp, honest, and backed my information and data. But always respectful, even when he is clearly talking down to the community.

However, I do think it's worth pointing out that the argument that they are members of the NeoGAF community is not necessarily true. They both abandoned the boards immediately after launch, and we now know that they willingly spread misinformation, challenged other NeoGAF users to apologize but did not return the favor, among other things in order to sell a product. While a modicum of respect is desired and should absolutely be strived for, it should be done so regardless of their position relative to the community. In fact, I would argue that what happened of the past few months within the community should make him more subject to ridicule due to how he approached the discussions, not less. However, note here that ridicule is as far as the confrontation with FACTS goes. I don't think in anyone that this should be done with disrespect. But NeoGAF prides itself (it's right in the description of the boards) in having discussions based on facts and analysis. And when putting up a direct quote from someone makes them look ridiculous, so be it.

Furthermore, I also think it's a convenient, but wholly unconvincing scapegoat to say that this may be why he doesn't show up and explain himself. This is the nature of the internet and message boards. He has a choice of who, when, and where to engage the community, and he can completely ignore the more ridiculous messages and explain himself to people that have been calm, rational and respectful. He is an adult that is capable of separating arguments and people of different inflections and addressing them appropriately.

In short -- I give him zero credit over the fact that some people unfortunately cross the line into disrespect, even though I think it would be fantastic if no one did.

flkraven

I think it's a pretty big stretch to call them members of the community. Yeah they've got accounts but they don't really participate or anything.

I'm not trying to be 'that guy', but where in the NeoGAF rules about smack talking other members does it say that people are exempt if the members aren't that active?

J-Rzez

I think you vastly overestimate the general populace interest in these sound bites. This is more discussion board fodder than anything else.

I remember people saying the same thing when Mattrick was running wild making crazy comments, but those started showing up all over the web meaning not just forums, not just gaming sites, but general media sites. Examples, the "military/submarine" fiasco and "for those without good internet, they can still buy our old stuff".

Lynn616

“I think if you look at the title which we launch, which were multiplatform titles. The bulk of them were the same. I think there were 12 titles were released on both platforms [PS4 and Xbox One], leaving three, all of them had the same performance on both boxes

We have a list of comparisons that show this?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
people misunderstand the xbox one's intentions. competing platforms may has had a few extra tweaks to give them a small performance edge, but do so at the cost of placing you within a claustrophobic environment which bears no resemblance to how most people consume media in our modern age. in contrast, the xbox one gives you a world of tools at your literal fingertips. through snap, standby and numerous other features the xbox is a true multitasking home entertainment unit - the first of its kind. you'll never want to go back to the walled off ghetto of the traditional gaming experience once you've upgraded your living room with an xbox one.

this whole performance throwdown is just a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. microsoft has already secured the most anticipated title of this generation so far and you can be sure that this trend will continue going forward. if they have both the means and the capacity to secure titanfall exclusivity, no big multiplat is off the cards.

if you're happy with a stripped down experience, where playing a few games with slightly more pixels is more important than playing more anticipated games in a truly next gen multimedia home environment, then perhaps you'll be satisfied with the competition, but don't think you'll be speaking for the majority.

TheCloser

Banned

Joke post right? Joke post.

Zornack

Well, what are we talking about here exactly? The image you quoted is of poor taste, that's true, but what's wrong with calling out the lies Penello and Nelson have spread?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Penello got an account a few months before launch, posted in threads spreading shoddy PR, stopped posting literally hours after launch and hasn't been seen since. I don't think anyone considers him a part of this community.

That isn't technically true...his account was created in 2008. He just happened to start posting right after the Microsoft May event and stopped completely after the launch.

Sometimes I feel bad and embarrassed by how poorly some members of this community treat people like Major Nelson or Albert Penello.

I don't. Maybe these people (Penello especially) wouldn't get so much flak if they didn't constantly lie out of their asses in attempts to convince people to hand them over their money. They have a very obvious agenda of trying to discredit any truth that puts them at a disadvantage and it's sickening.

Ricky_R

people misunderstand the xbox one's intentions. competing platforms may has had a few extra tweaks to give them a small performance edge, but do so at the cost of placing you within a claustrophobic environment which bears no resemblance to how most people consume media in our modern age. in contrast, the xbox one gives you a world of tools at your literal fingertips. through snap, standby and numerous other features the xbox is a true multitasking home entertainment unit - the first of its kind. you'll never want to go back to the walled off ghetto of the traditional gaming experience once you've upgraded your living room with an xbox one.

this whole performance throwdown is just a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. microsoft has already secured the most anticipated title of this generation so far and you can be sure that this trend will continue going forward. if they have both the means and the capacity to secure titanfall exclusivity, no big multiplat is off the cards.

if you're happy with a stripped down experience, where playing a few games with slightly more pixels is more important than playing more anticipated games in a truly next gen multimedia home environment, then perhaps you'll be satisfied with the competition, but don't think you'll be speaking for the majority.

Haha, tag is quite fitting.

I'm not trying to be 'that guy', but where in the NeoGAF rules about smack talking other members does it say that people are exempt if the members aren't that active?

Again you reap what you sow here.

Well crafted.

And less of a bullshitter than Penello. Kudos.

hawk2025

But the majority, so far, have chosen the competition.

Edit: Oops, looks like I confused a joke/example post for a serious one. Sorry!

Jomjom

Banned
That is some next level spin.

How does this analogy work?

A) You don't have ALL the blockbuster movies.
B) Most screens? What does this mean? Your competition has second screen capability as well. Is he referring to how many people can be served content? Because they are not in first place...
C) " if you look at this one movie, like, sometimes it looks better on their screen" - go fuck yourself.
D) "And in our movie theater, sometimes some of our movies look better." - My god.

He should have just gone all the way with that analogy.

"It's like our movie theater is that megaplex 24 screen theater showing Transformers 4 in 3D, while Sony's theater is that lame Laemmle indie movie theater with 4 screens showing movies you've never heard of made by 3 neckbeards. Transformers 4 looks better than your indie flick. Period. End of story."

You know that's where he wanted to go with it. Transformers 4 specifically because he loves Optimus Prime.

We've had that happen. People went through the posting history, pointed out lies hypocrisy and deceit and those members got banned for deliberately lying.

I agree that that specific image is in poor taste. We don't need to insult, we just use his words and laugh about that because he is a clown.

Lol?

Come on all, poking fun is good, but some people seem borderlined obsessed with Penello here(not you necessarily Benny).

His comments are pretty funny though ;)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Ryse looks pretty but its not even close to Killzone graphically imo. Battlefield 4 looks better than both of them tho (when its working)

Albert Penello said:
"It's like, we're the movie theater that has all the blockbuster movies, and has the most screens, and then somebody has figured out that there's also another movie theater that has less screens but if you look at this one movie, like, sometimes it looks better on their screen. And in our movie theater, sometimes some of our movies look better.

One of the worst analogies I've ever heard.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
But the majority, so far, have chosen the competition.

the economy is still tough and getting a less than ideal purchase for $100 less is a sacrifice than many may have to make. that's not to speak of value, just the realities of compromise.

That isn't technically true...his account was created in 2008. He just happened to start posting right after the Microsoft May event and stopped completely after the launch.

Ah sorry, my bad. You can probably understand why I thought that though.

It's the radio silence since launch day that's really damning though. It's fairly clear in retrospect that posting on Gaf was just part of some pre-launch 'media strat'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom