• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Chabbles

Nice Chrome grill.

iWqtAn6bKXwtF.gif

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
Hey bros!

Not sure if this has been asked yet (I tried to dig through the threads), but how is this on PS3 or 360? Anyone played it? All I can find online is current gen systems/PC, and it looks incredible.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT

I looked around on youtube and found some PS3 gameplay for those interested:

http://youtu.be/VRzE48mK_IM

I'm still early in the game, but the atmosphere has been ALIEN enough to inspire me to spend my morning putting together a Halloween costume to look like the flight suits from the original movie.

DukeBobby

Chapter 14 spoilers:

Jesus fucking Christ, there are noises all around me. My motion tracker is useless. There's more than one alien. Facehuggers. I hate this place.

Toa TAK

Banned
I tried not to, but I think there are some scripted appearances where you are pretty much forced into blasting him. Just use it sparingly or it takes more and more fuel to get him to leave.

I've realized this. Unfortunately.

Although it does feel good to blast the bugger away for a bit. It helps big time.

how many hours are left after chapter 10? I'm trying to understand the "overstaying it's wellcome" comments but after finishing chapter 10 I'm far from being burnt out on this game...

About 5 hours, maybe a bit more. I actually enjoyed the game more after Chapter 10, didn't feel burned out at all.

Krejlooc

Banned
So one of the coolest things that happened to me while playing this game, and I actually commented on it as it was happening, is that, once when the alien was sniffing a locker I was hiding in, the hair on my arms and legs stood on end.

I've seen tons of horror movies and played survival horror games, no film or game has ever done this to me before. I'm sure it was the VR, but it was an incredible moment - the game actually triggered some subconscious responses from my body. Incredible moment, I love how this game can give me such an adrenaline rush like no other.

Grisby

Did not know that you get a
shotgun
as a weapon. Took down an android in one hit with it.
Guys go for hard, you can always switch back to normal. And don't give up at the very first encounter with human enemies
Medium feels good. And,er, I didn't give up at the first encounter? I'm pretty far along actually so maybe you were quoting someone else?

CappyHamper

Neo Member
Sorry if anyone here already did a comparison but the game is just too damn good to not to do one.

Alien: Nostromo:

Alien Isolation: Sevestapol:

That's not the Nostromo.

The Nostromo is just the bit that lands on the planet. It's a towing vehicle, it's towing that big 4 tower refinery thing full of ore.

For this reason, Sevestapol being a space station that happens to look just like one of those makes zero fucking sense to me.

Maybe I'm off about something.

A-V-B

Curiosity: in this game, is there a pistol? And does it make the same noise as the pistol from Aliens and Indiana Jones? It's a really classic sound.

Odah

Banned
That's not the Nostromo.

The Nostromo is just the bit that lands on the planet. It's a towing vehicle, it's towing that big 4 tower refinery thing full of ore.

For this reason, Sevestapol being a space station that happens to look just like one of those makes zero fucking sense to me.

oh,

thanks for the info man

EGM1966

That's not the Nostromo.

You're quite correct the Nostromo is the ship that lands. It's "towing" the refinery.

I like the visual echo though. The refinery is clearly huge in Alien, certainly much bigger than the Nostromo, and I like the callback to the "futuristic haunted castle with spires" design of Sevestapol. I reckon there's a bit of Aliens' Gateway station in the visual design too. All in all I think for the game they tried to have every aspect of the visual design match or at minimum closely reference those of the Alien.

I guess if you wanted to retcon it, being as Seegson corporation seems to be sort of a low-rent, K-Mart competitor to Weyland-Yutani's Sears (or Wal-Mart LOL Alien: Resurrection) - the reason Sevastopol looks like one of Weyland-Yutani's oil refineries could be that they basically just retrofitted an old-ass refinery.

That's not the Nostromo.

Seegson is hilariously behind in technology, its likely that space station design is standardized.

CappyHamper

Neo Member
oh,

thanks for the info man

Yeah I can't help but feel this was overlooked during the research phase of production.

Easy mistake to make, but considering the one in the movie was a refinery there would probably be far less actual liveable space than there is on Sevestapol.
Plus there's no mention of anything like that in the transit system.

I suppose if they're in orbit of a gas giant it could still be a refinery, they haven't actually stated the stations purpose yet in my playthrough (Mission 11)

JRW

part of the reason we got stuck for an hour and a half at that segment is we went back and saved after triggering the group. Sneaking into the room and up the stairs when they're patroling is infuriatingly difficult. You pretty much have to do it all in one swoop.

I just went through this same hell due to saving after triggering group, took me over an hour of repeated deaths but I finally got it by having them notice me, ran like hell and waited on the other side of door off to the side (the door im reffering to has lockers on one side and is in the area where save station is nearby, downstairs), then wrenched the first person to come through door and ran to the nearby save point, saved, repeat same pattern until they were all dead, I got shot a couple times in the process but was just happy that madness was over.

Toa TAK

Banned
Do we know if the soundtrack will be available? Because I want it.

Isn't it just the first film's score but spliced for gameplay?

And man, do I get to do anything else beyond going to point A and restoring power and then point B and restoring power?

Restore this and restore that.

Just a simple yes or no will do.

Cramoss

this fucking game man, THIS FUCKING GAME. The sound design is amazing, the visuals too and it's tense as fuck.

My current GOTY

Carm

Those androids are pretty glitchy (what Irony). I heard the music que up and decided to hide in a locker, I hid for a good 2 minutes with music still going, checked the tracker and nothing was on it. The instant I get out an Android grabs me, I empty 11 bullets into its head and it didn't go down, instead it stood there away from me and stared at a wall.

I made it to the Seegsun Communications room but the crappy part is I'm completely out of Revolver ammo. But I have an EMP Mine, 1 flashbang, and 2 noise makers. Not to mention plenty of Flares and Medkits.

Besides maybe one time in Mission 5 or 6 (android refused to move for me, used noisemaker), think it was 5, none of the items are necessary through Mission 7. Hopefully that doesn't change.

My take is that it's a generic space station design that cheapass Seegson used rather than designing something expensive that people would want to visit/live on.

CuteSpaceGoblin

Neo Member
At the risk of creating an echo; What a f***ing game!! Washed all of the bad taste of A:CM out of my mouth; at long last, an Alien game worthy of the name. Just finished the third mission and by turns I've been creeped out (Working Joes channeling the Autons and every other seemingly benign, emotionless killing automaton) and holding my breath for fear of attracting attention from this side of the screen.

A stealth game that doesn't rely on rote scripting enemy behaviour and patrol patterns, yet manages to evoke the dread and anxiety of Silent Hill 1&2 and the better parts of Residents 1, 2 & 3 before the latter turned into a ho-hum action series.

And the design! The Alien production design applied to an environment as expansive and considered as Rapture. Has me absolutely stoked to see Alien:DC and Aliens:SE on the big screen again on Halloween (local Vue cinema here in the UK in case anyone's asking).

Someone please tell me there is some unlock able art/making of extras to look forward to on this thing? Maybe the newly pleased Alien fanboy in me is talking but I find many of the mediocre reviews Isolation is getting to be astonishing.

strafer

Seriously, whenever I hear the aliens big ass footsteps I freak out, like for real.

There something really disturbing about it.

Fuck that medical area. I had to pause the game for a while.

Sigh.

Krejlooc

Banned
Seriously, whenever I hear the aliens big ass footsteps I freak out, like for real.

There something really disturbing about it.

Fuck that medical area. I had to pause the game for a while.

Sigh.

My Kor-FX should be here within this up coming month.

It will let me feel the alien's footsteps

this will be terrifying in VR

Zomba13

Just had my first "immersion-breaking" experience in regards to the AI. On my way to an elevator to progress and I come across a group of Humans. They are hotile but willing to let me leave (they point the gun at me and tell me to go). I go back but I need to go that way so I throw a noise maker to distract them. It works but also attracts the Alien. The Alien has a nice meal of two of them but one of them runs away to the cover I'm behind, crouches down with me, then stands up, turns to me and shoots me.

Like, no. No one would do that in that situation. The Alien obviously heard it, ran over and killed her giving me time to get to the elevator.

Just had my first "immersion-breaking" experience in regards to the AI. On my way to an elevator to progress and I come across a group of Humans. They are hotile but willing to let me leave (they point the gun at me and tell me to go). I go back but I need to go that way so I throw a noise maker to distract them. It works but also attracts the Alien. The Alien has a nice meal of two of them but one of them runs away to the cover I'm behind, crouches down with me, then stands up, turns to me and shoots me.

Like, no. No one would do that in that situation. The Alien obviously heard it, ran over and killed her giving me time to get to the elevator.

Sound pretty awesome to me. A d don't understimate the effects of panic ;)

Toa TAK

Banned
On Xbox One, here, but I haven't had any real issues with the game so far. There's some ghosting with the Alien's chrome teeth for a split second, but that's all.

Also, I love that it's recording moments on its own via the DVR. That's so great.

Yeah, the human AI is pretty shitty but the Alien and androids IMO make up for it.

Top Bottom