• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware X51 thread of 2.56TFLOPS comfy couch gaming at 180W in a console size box

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody try the normal evga 970 yet interested to see how ye get on

Been running one since Monday with no issues whatsoever. It's quieter, cooler, and a hell of a lot more powerful than the 660 it replaced. It's nice to play Titanfall at max settings with no drops. :) Or for that matter, Skyrim with a fully featured enb at a near constant 60fps.

Jawmuncher

Been running one since Monday with no issues whatsoever. It's quieter, cooler, and a hell of a lot more powerful than the 660 it replaced. It's nice to play Titanfall at max settings with no drops. :) Or for that matter, Skyrim with a fully featured enb at a near constant 60fps.

How was the installation?
I have the 660 in mine as well.
Is it just removing the disc drive and fan?

How was the installation?
I have the 660 in mine as well.
Is it just removing the disc drive and fan?

Didn't have to remove anything, the evga 970 is the same size as the 660 that came with mine. Pop open the case, unscrew the GPU cage, unplug the old gpu, lift it out, remove the old GPU, put in the new gpu, plug it in, replace the cage, replace the cover. Only tricky part was getting the additional power pin to fit next to the old one while keeping the cables clear of the side of the case or from obstructing the fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcaVghmuVYs

Jawmuncher

Didn't have to remove anything, the evga 970 is the same size as the 660 that came with mine. Pop open the case, unscrew the GPU cage, unplug the old gpu, lift it out, remove the old GPU, put in the new gpu, plug it in, replace the cage, replace the cover. Only tricky part was getting the additional power pin to fit next to the old one while keeping the cables clear of the side of the case or from obstructing the fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcaVghmuVYs

Okay cool thanks for this.
Will end up doing this in the near future.

pubba

Hi PC GAF master race guys. It's been 16 years since I've built or owned a home PC system, but all the hype over the new gtx970 cards has got to me. I think it's time to see how the other half live.

I'm in China and travel a lot, so the Alienware X51 seems perfect for me. Before I go shopping, I just need to double check some info..

1. Is the EVGA brand GTX970 the best option to fit inside the X51 case comfortably?
2. I will need the 330w power supply. Do all the X51 r2 (revision 2?) cases have 330w power as standard?

I think the last PC game I played was Max Payne. I've missed out on a lot of PC gaming goodness, mainly because consoles just seemed easier and a lot of the console exclusive games appealed to me. I can't wait to catch up on what I've missed out on!

Hi PC GAF master race guys. It's been 16 years since I've built or owned a home PC system, but all the hype over the new gtx970 cards has got to me. I think it's time to see how the other half live.

I'm in China and travel a lot, so the Alienware X51 seems perfect for me. Before I go shopping, I just need to double check some info..

1. Is the EVGA brand GTX970 the best option to fit inside the X51 case comfortably?
2. I will need the 330w power supply. Do all the X51 r2 (revision 2?) cases have 330w power as standard?

I think the last PC game I played was Max Payne. I've missed out on a lot of PC gaming goodness, mainly because consoles just seemed easier and a lot of the console exclusive games appealed to me. I can't wait to catch up on what I've missed out on!
No x51 owner, but afaik only the i5+i7 model with the stronger GPU have the 330watt PSU.

pubba

No x51 owner, but afaik only the i5+i7 model with the stronger GPU have the 330watt PSU.

Ok thanks. I will head to Shanghai on Friday and hunt around for the best deal. My new school is giving me a $750 US PC allowance, so my budget is around $1000 in total. I wont need a screen because I will be hooking it up directly to the display in my room.

I finally decided to return to PC gaming (comfy couch of course) and this machine seems excellent for my needs: I'll invest in this instead of a next gen console, considering that I already have a WiiU. I'm going to pickup the i5 model with the GTX750Ti 2GB in the next 12 hours, if GAF doesn't provide me with a convincing argument against it.

Why I'm doing this? It's simple:

- other than the usual arguments in favor of PC gaming (more convenient, less expensive in the long term, upgradeable, you get more indies sooner, bigger library, better performance et cetera) I prefer something that is tested and ready to use: I checked the "I need a new PC" thread and for a similarly specced PC, considering that I have to buy Windows 8.1 because I don't have a copy myself, I'm going to spend like 100€ more, which is fine to me considering the advantages;

- the small form factor is a central point to me: I'm going to put this under my TV in my living room, next to my WiiU, and I don't have much room in total;

- I really, really prefer ready-to-use, already-tested solutions in general: I honestly find no enjoyment in fiddling with drivers, even if I understand the attractiveness of building something yourself;

- I broadcast on Twitch and already use my iMac as a casting PC: with an HDMI split and my Avermedia ExtremeCap U3 everything is going to be fine with that form factor;

- even if I'm not going to put a higher tier GPU inside, the GTX750Ti will be excellent for now, considering that I've been gaming on PS3 and WiiU;

- even if I've been saving money for this, my finances are going to take a blow of course but I'm confident that it's the right investment: I already have a nice library on Steam, and I'll have the chance to play some beloved games, like the first two Bioshocks, at higher settings; also, I'd like to try Dark Souls 2 with a graphic mod;

EDIT: I just realized that the i5 GTX 750 Ti model doesn't run the 330W PSU, which is going be kind of expensive by itself: for future upgradeability, should I drop 170 more € to get the R9 270 and 330W PSU?

I finally decided to return to PC gaming (comfy couch of course) and this machine seems excellent for my needs: I'll invest in this instead of a next gen console, considering that I already have a WiiU. I'm going to pickup the i5 model with the GTX750Ti 2GB in the next 12 hours, if GAF doesn't provide me with a convincing argument against it.

Why I'm doing this? It's simple:

- other than the usual arguments in favor of PC gaming (more convenient, less expensive in the long term, upgradeable, you get more indies sooner, bigger library, better performance et cetera) I prefer something that is tested and ready to use: I checked the "I need a new PC" thread and for a similarly specced PC, considering that I have to buy Windows 8.1 because I don't have a copy myself, I'm going to spend like 100€ more, which is fine to me considering the advantages;

- the small form factor is a central point to me: I'm going to put this under my TV in my living room, next to my WiiU, and I don't have much room in total;

- I really, really prefer ready-to-use, already-tested solutions in general: I honestly find no enjoyment in fiddling with drivers, even if I understand the attractiveness of building something yourself;

- I broadcast on Twitch and already use my iMac as a casting PC: with an HDMI split and my Avermedia ExtremeCap U3 everything is going to be fine with that form factor;

- even if I'm not going to put a higher tier GPU inside, the GTX750Ti will be excellent for now, considering that I've been gaming on PS3 and WiiU;

- even if I've been saving money for this, my finances are going to take a blow of course but I'm confident that it's the right investment: I already have a nice library on Steam, and I'll have the chance to play some beloved games, like the first two Bioshocks, at higher settings; also, I'd like to try Dark Souls 2 with a graphic mod;

EDIT: I just realized that the i5 GTX 750 Ti model doesn't run the 330W PSU, which is going be kind of expensive by itself: for future upgradeability, should I drop 170 more € to get the R9 270 and 330W PSU?

Any 2GB GPU is a bad choice if you want to play next generation multiplatform titles. The GPU will not last.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I'm unfamiliar with the device and the features that would make it ideal in a TV Room. I'm thinking about getting this device for Console Like Games and Emulation.

Can you bring it up from Shutdown with a remote/controller? I'm guessing no.

Can you bring it up from sleep with a remote/controller?

Do most of you guys using this in a TV room have it boot straight into Steam Big Picture Mode?

So I'm unfamiliar with the device and the features that would make it ideal in a TV Room. I'm thinking about getting this device for Console Like Games and Emulation.

Can you bring it up from Shutdown with a remote/controller? I'm guessing no.

Can you bring it up from sleep with a remote/controller?

Do most of you guys using this in a TV room have it boot straight into Steam Big Picture Mode?

Have a rev1 in my living room. Not much different than a regular PC other than the form factor.

You can't bring it from shutdown with a controller but I just hit a key on the keyboard or a wireless mouse. You could buy a usb IR receiver but I find the wireless KB/M to work just fine.

Personally I have it boot into win 7 with steam on startup and BPM. Works great no complaints.

kodecraft

Steam machines are coming in 2015, I am personally waiting on those. Since essentially some of you want a console-like experience but on the PC.

Qassim

Isn't that just a UI? Wouldn't I be able to just install that on this?

It is and it isn't. You get the functionality of a steam box right now with any old windows machine running Steam big picture mode.

But SteamOS removes all the annoying windows things, like having to accept a Windows UAC when a game wants to install something on first launch. SteamOS makes the transitions between game and OS as smooth as a console, and the whole OS will be usable with a controller.

However you'll have the issue with game compatibility, most games won't support Linux for a while yet. However, either way, SteamOS will be freely available to install on any hardware you want - so you could install it on this if you wanted to once a final release is available.

GrazGamer

The DF review of this card begs to differ.

"All of this sounds interesting, but probably not that exciting if the GTX 750 Ti delivers only mediocre gaming performance. Thankfully, that is not the case: the GTX 750 Ti handily outperforms its nearest competitor - the Radeon R7 260X - and it does so with a 60W TDP, as opposed to the 115W TDP on the AMD product. Lest we forget, we recently compared the 260X to next-gen console across a range of multi-platform games and found the AMD experience to either match or exceed what Xbox One or PS4 were capable of, with the exception of the poorly optimised computer edition of Call of Duty: Ghosts. The GTX 750 Ti performs likewise, if not a touch better."

So it performs better than a card that performs better than or matches either console.

It has also been proven to run Battlefield 4 better than the PS4 and Titanfall better than Xbone.

Much better GPU in PS4? Yeah, no it isn't.

Month old X51 owner here.

As a noob pc gamer, I love the size of the unit and its output ports that makes it a no brainer to connect hdmi and optocal audio like a console.

I downloaded a Dual Shock 4 wrapper that makes my DS4 responsd like a 360 controller so I can play Steam games on the sofa w a DS4.

Steamboxes to me are getting less and less relevant due to PCs like X51 exist.

R1CHO

The gpu on ps4 is better than a 750ti.

A bunch of benchs won't tell the whole story. I am talking about specs.

Alien runs at 60 fps on a 750ti and at 30fps on the ps4, and yet that doesn't change my point.

A console and a Pc is more than the gpu, you will find games now running better on pc with worse hardware, you can also find the opposite case, and that will probably get worse for the pc in the next years.

Yes 2GB won't probably be enough to play at console settings, much less with a gpu like the one on the 750ti.

On the other hand if multiplatform games are going to be limit by the xbone instead of the ps4? Well that's another story.

epicnemesis

To people more in the know than I am I have a question:
Can I put in any GTX970 (thinner than 10.5 inches) and not have an issue? I am specifically interested in getting the FTW or SSC edition. The only guides I see are for the SC but that doesn't explicitly mean I can't use the others. Would there be more power draw on the two cards I'm interested in or something? The EVGA website has them all at the same TPD so theoretically that means I should be good right?

Quick update, I've posted on other forums.
I decided to get a power meter to see how many watts my system is pulling. The most I saw was 288w during the physics test in Firestrike, when my cpu goes into Turbo boost, with turbo boost off the most I saw was 270w. I also tried Furmark burn-in test in 1080p for 15 minutes and power usage was at 268-271w. during gaming usage is much lower, for example Shadow of Mordor at max settings high textures and locked to 60fps my system only uses 205-212w.

wattage_zps4d8a1cda.jpg

DSC_0030_zpsab3cda1a.jpg

I also decided to install a thinner 10mm front fan. My system was not overheating without a fan, but I wanted to see if there was a difference.

This was the only 60mmx10mm fan that was 4 pin so it could have power management.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15478/fan-967/Cooljag_Everflow_60mm_x_10mm_PWM_Fan_R126010BUAF.html?tl=g36c365s1625

DSC_0007_zpsf5a495d4.jpg

DSC_0010_zps0f443800.jpg
]

Didn't make much of a difference in temps, maybe 1-2 degrees cooler. However using the 3 80mm usb fans from my coolermaster u3 laptop cooler made a nice difference, 8 degrees cooler at idle and 5-6 degrees at load, but they are loud and sound like they need some greasing. I just stood them up against the case and have them blowing air into the case. Don't think I'll keep them on since the noise at idle is annoying and my gpu was maxing out at 80 without them.

DSC_0035_zpsc122bbcc.jpg

To people more in the know than I am I have a question:
Can I put in any GTX970 (thinner than 10.5 inches) and not have an issue? I am specifically interested in getting the FTW or SSC edition. The only guides I see are for the SC but that doesn't explicitly mean I can't use the others. Would there be more power draw on the two cards I'm interested in or something? The EVGA website has them all at the same TPD so theoretically that means I should be good right?

A few people on other forums have been using the EVGA 970 ftw that is 9.5 inches long, but many of the R1 owners are having problems with shutdowns because the card is pulling too much power.

There's a common theory that the R2 has a more efficient Power Board compared to the R1 that allows more of the available power to be routed to the gpu.

Theoretically a stock 970 should work on an x51 with the 330w psu, but like I said many with the R1 and OC model 970 are having trouble.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So if I was to pick up the X-51, say from the outlet store, is there anything I should be looking for besides getting a R2 version? My plan was to upgrade my desktops 670 GTX to a 970 GTX and putting the 670 into the X-51, but I doubt it is going to fit. So I might just get a 970 GTX for the X-51.

I usually like building my own PC's, but I'm generally aware that to get something this slim and consolidated with the performance it has is going to require getting a prebuilt system.

So if I was to pick up the X-51, say from the outlet store, is there anything I should be looking for besides getting a R2 version? My plan was to upgrade my desktops 670 GTX to a 970 GTX and putting the 670 into the X-51, but I doubt it is going to fit. So I might just get a 970 GTX for the X-51.

I usually like building my own PC's, but I'm generally aware that to get something this slim and consolidated with the performance it has is going to require getting a prebuilt system.

If you want something small, yet want to build it yourself, I'd recommend the Silverstone Raven RVZ01 / ML07 case, a SFX PSU and an i3/i5 with an GTX970.
That's basically the same case, but one is more like a aggressive look, and the other one more slick.

They aren't that much bigger than an x51. (the one in the middle):

If you want something small, yet want to build it yourself, I'd recommend the Silverstone Raven RVZ01 / ML07 case, a SFX PSU and an i3/i5 with an GTX970.
That's basically the same case, but one is more like a aggressive look, and the other one more slick.

They aren't that much bigger than an x51. (the one in the middle):

I agree on the RVZ01 better cooling as well. I wish that it was available a year ago, I've debated moving the x51 guts to that case, but I would hate to throw the x51 case aside. Hopefully more cases like it come along when the steam machines release.

GrazGamer

I agree on the RVZ01 better cooling as well. I wish that it was available a year ago, I've debated moving the x51 guts to that case, but I would hate to throw the x51 case aside. Hopefully more cases like it come along when the steam machines release.

I moved my x51 into the Raven. Great case. It is noticeably bigger than the x51 but it so much more flexible for upgrades and a nice looking case too.

Looking at various 970 models atm was looking to upgrade before unity came out but stock seems to be quite poor on the blower models

So far I've found these models of course none are instock and i cant find a non overclocked gtx 970 {bower fan} from evga at all not even on their EU website which is puzzling, are there any more brands to look into?

Palit GTX 970
PNY GTX 970
EVGA SC GTX970

I moved my x51 into the Raven. Great case. It is noticeably bigger than the x51 but it so much more flexible for upgrades and a nice looking case too.

What did you do for the i/o shield on the rear of the motherboard? Is the shield on the x51 part of the case or can that also be moved to the rvz01?

GrazGamer

What did you do for the i/o shield on the rear of the motherboard? Is the shield on the x51 part of the case or can that also be moved to the rvz01?

I couldn't do anything the shield is part of the x51 case, but it was all incidental anyway, a day or 2 later with my new 600w psu and the motherboard died. Perhaps it wasn't design for higher psus.

So I bought a z97 ITX mb and a 4790k and now only the ram and hdd remain from my x51.

Okay, because I can't find any of the stander cards besides the OC, it looks like I might have to take this route if I don't find the card by this year.

17-101-044-15.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101044

That's a HDD size PSU with 450 watts that seems to fit inside the X51 quite nicely. All I have to to do is move the HDD to the DVD drive(Going to get rid of it anyway) And put this under the GPU..It seems like it fits..And this is only 29.99$ No idea what I need but it looks like it comes with everything I need to make it work..I'll see by the Holidays if any of the stock cards show up if not, I'm most def going to take this route.

-EDIT- Never-mind, I wasn't paying attention when I was doing research on this thing, and my ass is tired. I need a power-cord for this thing, not good. Just going to be patient.

Anyone with the X51 R1 Fitted a non overclocked 970 yet? still looking at the different models but not sure which would be best.

They should fit with no issues. The length is a tad shorter than the 670 if I'm not mistaking. Waiting for these cards to be back in stock is killing me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom