• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware X51 thread of 2.56TFLOPS comfy couch gaming at 180W in a console size box

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should fit with no issues. The length is a tad shorter than the 670 if I'm not mistaking. Waiting for these cards to be back in stock is killing me :(
I know :( tbh its my 1st time looking for a gpu so im not even sure where to buy them so I've been checking Amazon Uk but evga seem to be rolling these out in Europe slowly

So this the 970sc everyone is raving about, right?

EVGA EVGA GTX GTX 970 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5 256bit, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP SLI Ready Graphics Card (04G-P4-1972-KR) Graphics Cards 04G-P4-1972-KR

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NI45AUU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

No, the stock one. Not the OC or SC. Anyway, I think the official PNY site has them in stock, but not sure how reliable they are when it comes to stock. Or how good their shipping is. Will find out this weekend when I get paid.

brainpann

I don't really need a new gfx card right now but I really want to get a 970 for my x51. When can I reasonably expect these to start going down in price? Not that 329 is a bad price.

Vitor711

Why don't Alienware just offer the 970 with the X51? I'm so confused. For someone perhaps interested in returning their 980m equipped Sager Laptop and going this route, it seems awkward for a first time buyer.

Why don't Alienware just offer the 970 with the X51? I'm so confused. For someone perhaps interested in returning their 980m equipped Sager Laptop and going this route, it seems awkward for a first time buyer.

I mentioned this before, but usually around Sep-Nov you see the refresh for the X51. It's been like this since its debut. But, as you may not be aware. The 970/980 are in high demand now. Is rather crazy quite honestly. So just wait. I'm assuming Winter. Just the way things are going.

Vitor711

I mentioned this before, but usually around Sep-Nov you see the refresh for the X51. It's been like this since its debut. But, as you may not be aware. The 970/980 are in high demand now. Is rather crazy quite honestly. So just wait. I'm assuming Winter. Just the way things are going.

Eh, by then I won't be able to return my laptop anymore. Shame.

Vitor711

Hey man, folks got a taste of 4K downsampling and there is no going back :)

Psh, the 970 is only 20% faster than my 980m. Even less when I OC the thing. It's not a huge difference, but the ability to swap out parts in the future was pretty cool.

Plus this thing isn't much bigger than a laptop, right? Seemed like the ideal compromise.

Elitist1945

So when I wake my X51 from Sleep Mode, the lights come on (both my PC, keyboard and mouse) but my monitor doesn't pick it up. Also when I hit the Caps Lock key on my keyboard, the 'C' doesn't light up which is causing me to think my PC isn't actually on/awake?

Any solutions?

beercr8te

Banned
Impressive as it may be, the masses are not going to adopt it, it will remain for a niche market, just like steam machines. They don't have the brand power.

Did bots infiltrate neogaf?

Now that we're a few weeks in, has anyone had any issues with the 970 in their x51s? I'm really on the fence with this card, right now.
Still waiting on more reports of them working in R1s but there in such short supply you cant get them lol

Evil within and all recent games run well on my 660, Witcher 3 & Unity might be the breaking point though

So when I wake my X51 from Sleep Mode, the lights come on (both my PC, keyboard and mouse) but my monitor doesn't pick it up. Also when I hit the Caps Lock key on my keyboard, the 'C' doesn't light up which is causing me to think my PC isn't actually on/awake?

Any solutions?

I went through a similar situation last month. For some reason, sleep mode never worked all the time since I had the X51. It only stayed in Sleep mode like for an hour and then the PC randomly came out of it. So last month, when I put a timer to put in Sleep mode, the no picture issue you mention happened. So I switched the HDMI from the GPU to the on board one, and boom..picture. And also encounter a driver issue as well in my GPU(The kernel Video Driver has stop working but it repaired itself). So, I clean the GPU and the fans, and turned sleep mode off. And never again encounter that issue again.

Can you link me to right model? I can't seemto find it.

Unless it's this one? http://www.evga.com/products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-1970-KR
Yes, that a reference model. Single blower fan. It blows the heat form the back. Different Manufactures make cards just like that. That's why I'm thinking of getting the PNY one. from their site.

or just buy a ps4 for less
WTF is this shit?

Still got life left in the 660 yet can play almost all new games at high at 40-60fps would like the bells and whistles the 970 would add though.

Still got life left in the 660 yet can play almost all new games at high at 40-60fps would like the bells and whistles the 970 would add though.

I hear you. My X51 is barely three months old with its i7 and 760ti. I'll wait and see how The Witcher 3 runs before I upgrade.

Might pick up Dragon Age Inquisition in the mean time.

Just order the PNY 970 of Amazon(Will get here on Saturday). I'll let you guys know how that goes. I could have waited another year with the 660 1.5VRAM. But I really wanted to see how it goes changing cards on my two year old, X51. Going to remove the DVD drive as well. I want as much room inside of there as possible. And by next month I'm going to remove the HDD inside and replace it with two SSD. Having two SSD in there will still draw less power than the HDD. Can't wait, hopefully it will go smooth :)

Just order the PNY 970 of Amazon(Will get here on Saturday). I'll let you guys know how that goes. I could have waited another year with the 660 1.5VRAM. But I really wanted to see how it goes changing cards on my two year old, X51. Going to remove the DVD drive as well. I want as much room inside of there as possible. And by next month I'm going to remove the HDD inside and replace it with two SSD. Having two SSD in there will still draw less power than the HDD. Can't wait, hopefully it will go smooth :)

Good luck with the upgrades!

Vee_One

I have the 2012 x51 with what I believe to be the 220w power supply (refurb unit). It currently has a GTX555 - can I put a GTX750 in this machine? From what I can gather the power requirements are fairly similar

Vee_One

I have the 2012 x51 with what I believe to be the 220w power supply (refurb unit). It currently has a GTX555 - can I put a GTX750 in this machine? From what I can gather the power requirements are fairly similar

But the bullet and grabbed a gtx750
Took a bit to get working (required bios updates etc.) but is now running wonderfully. Fantastic little card and has given the x51 a new lease on life. Might keep throwing the cheap cards in there every other year - should last a while.
Really impressed with the performance.

i was considering ordering an x51 today because dell japan has a double the RAM for free offer going on through this weekend. you guys think it'd be better to hold off?

was going to go for the i5/r9 270 build, but i guess it might be an idea to wait for something a little more futureproofed.

(i own a PS4, xbox one, and wii u, but no PC at all — just a retina macbook pro)

But the bullet and grabbed a gtx750
Took a bit to get working (required bios updates etc.) but is now running wonderfully. Fantastic little card and has given the x51 a new lease on life. Might keep throwing the cheap cards in there every other year - should last a while.
Really impressed with the performance.

That's great to hear, I'm glad the upgrade went smoothly!

Jonm1010

Banned
God Damnit! Why did ShinobiFist have to go and get banned before he could update us all.

At this point I think Im just gonna rebuild.

I don't have an R2 version so I don't think I can actually add a 970 and frankly I want to go ahead and get a 980 when the higher VRAM versions come out anyways.

Has anyone transferred their X51 to another case yet? I have never done it and would love to hear if it was difficult for a first timer.

Ratrat

This is so strange to me. My x51 with a 660 can only run Watchdogs on low 720p 30fps. Same story with most recent games too.

God Damnit! Why did ShinobiFist have to go and get banned before he could update us all.

At this point I think Im just gonna rebuild.

I don't have an R2 version so I don't think I can actually add a 970 and frankly I want to go ahead and get a 980 when the higher VRAM versions come out anyways.

Has anyone transferred their X51 to another case yet? I have never done it and would love to hear if it was difficult for a first timer.

I spoke with ShinobiFist over Twitter. His R1 board isn't compatible with the 970 so he either has to by an R2 board or attempt a case transfer. He went on to say that R2 board should work fine with the stock 970.

This is so strange to me. My x51 with a 660 can only run Watchdogs on low 720p 30fps. Same story with most recent games too.

For me its

Watchdogs 1080p @ 30-40fps all high settings & fxaa
Ryse is 900p @30-40fps everything on high
Shadow of Mordor is mixed settings @ 40-60 fps @ 80% rendering resolution
Evil Within is 35-40fps @ 1080p
Valkaria Chronicles is 60fps @ 1200p :)
etc going to try unity tonight though, I think that might finally be too much for the card

mine got delivered today! first gaming PC in well over a decade. i5-4460, R9 270, 16GB RAM.

yet to test much because i have a whole steam library (and the odd origin sale game) to download, but it runs the first 5 mins of crysis 3 smoothly at very high/1080p. i can live with that.

Jawmuncher

mine got delivered today! first gaming PC in well over a decade. i5-4460, R9 270, 16GB RAM.

yet to test much because i have a whole steam library (and the odd origin sale game) to download, but it runs the first 5 mins of crysis 3 smoothly at very high/1080p. i can live with that.

Its great how even now any crysis game is a standard.

yeah i mean, i've been out of PC gaming for something like 12 years and then i get back into it right as all these sales are on. crysis 3 for 700 yen or something? sure, why not!

i bought a lot of stuff that will probably only really be useful to me as benchmarks, like watch dogs, so will report back as to how it all runs.

kikonawa

16gb ram? Now thats a lot

fuzzyset

I'm wondering is it any good to play Dota 2 ,RTS and MMO on big tv? I'm thinking about alienware alpha.

I can imagine it's only worthwhile with a nice TV dinner type lap board. I've tried with a normal lap board and it just doesn't work well.

K Guys installed a evga gtx970 sc a week ago now, just be be safe i downclocked it to reference clocks and set power output to 90%

System Specs
Alienware X51 R1
Gtx 970
i7 3770 3.4
2TB Hardrive
16 GB Ram
Bluray Drive
1 4TB External HD

I have had no stability issues whatsoever i assume if you can find one a non sc version would work fine out of the box on a R1 system

In Precision X i set my clocks down 89mhz to match the reference card i'll try upping them gradually to see how high they can go

3d mark score 8958
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4989808?

Gaming Performance : Tested alot of new titles and some old

Tomb Raider Ultimate 1200p : min 54, avg 75, high 90
Shadow of Mordor Ultra 1200p : min 41, avg 68, high 84
Assassins Creed Unity Ultra 1200p : min 35, avg 48, high 60 (Vsnyc on)
Far Cry 4 Ultra 1200p : min 41, avg 55, high 60 (Vsnyc on)
Dragon Age Inquistion Ultra 1200p : min 47, avg 57, high 60 (Vsnyc on)
Batman Arkham Origins Ultra 1200p : min 57, avg 80, high 115
Ryse Son of Rome Max (except super sampling) 1200p : min 48 avg 55 high 60 (Vsnyc on)

Been playing unity in 2-3 hr sessions and havent had any issues whatsoever the game runs great though the optimisation is still abit all over the place

Far Cry 4 runs almost locked at 60 fps unless you encounter areas with heavy AO and shadows which drop it to the 40s

Dragon Age runs near perfect 60 bar the times when effects fill the screen and it drops to the high 40s

All these settings are Ultra remember :) it feels great to finally be able to play games maxed out at these framerates. If ye have any questions ask away

xemumanic

My buddy just called me after he talked to Dell/Alienware on the phone, and he says they now sell a model of the X51 R2 with an Intel 5820 (?), AND an Nvidia 980. Something like $2K......I forget.

So I guess they have 980-capable models now. Sweet.

Trunks pretty much summed it up.
The R2 is ok with the OC 970.
The R1 wants the regular one. Or a OC one if that's all you can find underclocked.
So any OC ones will do for R2? I just need the 970 that runs quieter than the other ones. Don't really care if it's OCed or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom