• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware X51 thread of 2.56TFLOPS comfy couch gaming at 180W in a console size box

Status
Not open for further replies.
So any OC ones will do for R2? I just need the 970 that runs quieter than the other ones. Don't really care if it's OCed or not.

They all need to be blower designs so there is going to be some fan noise regardless the evga 970 i got is about as loud as my 660 was

Given that its the same 330w power suppy i dont know if a full overclocked card at max clocks would run in the R2 but if you did buy one and it was unstable you could downclock it anyway.

I havent tested mine at full overclock clocks as im going to up the clocks gradually and see how far it can go :)

xemumanic

I've been running a 980 in my r2 for almost 3 months now with no problems, no underclock either. The existing r1 (with r2 powerboard upgrade) and r2 are capable of running the 980.

Oh well, the gist I've been getting reading this thread for months was that even the R2 couldn't run a 980...........that's why I made the post. Thanks for clearing it up.

They all need to be blower designs so there is going to be some fan noise regardless the evga 970 i got is about as loud as my 660 was

Given that its the same 330w power suppy i dont know if a full overclocked card at max clocks would run in the R2 but if you did buy one and it was unstable you could downclock it anyway.

I havent tested mine at full overclock clocks as im going to up the clocks gradually and see how far it can go :)
Have you managed any stable OC? I have tried a few times, but nothing has been stable.

So which card do you recommend for a reasonable price?

Jonm1010

Banned
Does someone have an image and specs of what I am looking for when trying to buy the R2 motherboard?

My google-fu must suck because I can not find a specific part number and image to verify what I should be buying to upgrade so I can eventually get my 970 up and running in it,

Does someone have an image and specs of what I am looking for when trying to buy the R2 motherboard?

My google-fu must suck because I can not find a specific part number and image to verify what I should be buying to upgrade so I can eventually get my 970 up and running in it,

R1 = VFHMM

R2 = D85RT

l_D85RT-itc.jpg

The R1 and R2 boards look pretty much alike, apart from the part number on the board.

My R2 came with the 240w power prick so I can't upgrade to the 970 correct? I have to settle with upgrading to the 750 Ti?

Im pretty sure you can buy the 330 watt PSU from Dell
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=332-1432

I recently just upgraded my ram to 16 gigs and put in a PNY GTX 970 in this little monster and I love how awesome it runs, with videocards becoming more power efficient the 330 watt PSU may not be that much of a limiting factor when looking for an upgrade for the videocard, size of the GPU is the biggest concern.

4 weeks of solid gaming down and the 970s still kicking along brilliantly in my X51 R1 this thing is damn impressive and im still amazed alienware doesnt sell it with the X51 yet

Jonm1010

Banned
4 weeks of solid gaming down and the 970s still kicking along brilliantly in my X51 R1 this thing is damn impressive and im still amazed alienware doesnt sell it with the X51 yet
Wait you have a 970 in an x51 r1? Original motherboard and everything??

I've been scouring ebay thinking the only way to upgrade to a 970 or 980 was with the r2 powerboard.

I've been scouring ebay thinking the only way to upgrade to a 970 or 980 was with the r2 powerboard.

You can underclock the 970 by a few mhz in order to get it to work without having to replace the powerboard.

I have the R2 versions so I dont need to do that.

diffusionx

Gold Member

I put a 970 in my X51 R1. No problems.

I also added a SSD. This is the best game machine ever pretty much.

Yes nothing changed from the factory except the gpu, it's a evga sc 970 which I've underclocked to run at stock 970 clocks as I couldn't find a standard 970 when I bought it, played unity at max settings for a few hrs today at max settings with no issues.

Each model 970 seems to draw more power the pny and the evga are on the lower side so maybe that's why they work

KyleCross

Im pretty sure you can buy the 330 watt PSU from Dell
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=332-1432

I recently just upgraded my ram to 16 gigs and put in a PNY GTX 970 in this little monster and I love how awesome it runs, with videocards becoming more power efficient the 330 watt PSU may not be that much of a limiting factor when looking for an upgrade for the videocard, size of the GPU is the biggest concern.

$150 for a power brick is ridiculous to me, I refuse to pay that. I don't even know why mine came with a 240 when every other R2 I run across has the 330.

So I won a $1000 gift card to Dell from work and I'm going to get either an x51 or Area 51. I'm leaning to the x51 just because I think it looks way better. Anyway can we expect a refresh anytime soon with a 970s or anything? Or would I be safe to order now. I know it's a silly game to play sitting around waiting for something new all the time but if something new is coming soon I'd rather wait.

Thanks.

So I won a $1000 gift card to Dell from work and I'm going to get either an x51 or Area 51. I'm leaning to the x51 just because I think it looks way better. Anyway can we expect a refresh anytime soon with a 970s or anything? Or would I be safe to order now. I know it's a silly game to play sitting around waiting for something new all the time but if something new is coming soon I'd rather wait.

Thanks.

I think they will refresh it at some stage noone knows when though, the alpha isnt as powerful and cant be upgraded so your stuck with what you get.

Since dell usually have sales in January itd be good to keep a look out see if you can the get a nice X51 cheaper, If you decide to go for it you can always upgrade to a 970 in the future

I think they will refresh it at some stage noone knows when though, the alpha isnt as powerful and cant be upgraded so your stuck with what you get.

Since dell usually have sales in January itd be good to keep a look out see if you can the get a nice X51 cheaper, If you decide to go for it you can always upgrade to a 970 in the future

Thanks for the help. Might as well wait.

reKon

Banned
I have like $400 in Amazon gift cards to blow and I think that sometime this year, I will be getting my media center/center gaming PC.

1) When this gets refreshed, it will likely have a graphics card that I won't need to change for 2-3 years right? Or should I wait for a sale on a bang for buck GPU and switch it out?

2) I see some configurations of the X51 on Amazon sold, but is there more that's usually available?

Jonm1010

Banned
Thanks for all the replies regarding the 970 and an R1 X51.

I am looking at ordering one today or tomorrow and these two are the ones that are coming up in stock and are under 10in(Which I remember was needed to fit):

EVGA GTX GTX 970 Superclocked 4GB (I know I will have to down clock but I think this is the one ussjtrunks has)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NVODXR4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

PNY XLR8 GeForce GTX 970 4GB
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH5ZNWA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I m leaning toward the PNY because I assume I won't have to mess with down clocking and its a bit cheaper. Am I on the right path? And do I have to remove/replace the fan to make these fit?

I am looking at ordering one today or tomorrow and these two are the ones that are coming up in stock and are under 10in(Which I remember was needed to fit):

EVGA GTX GTX 970 Superclocked 4GB (I know I will have to down clock but I think this is the one ussjtrunks has)

I m leaning toward the PNY because I assume I won't have to mess with down clocking and its a bit cheaper. Am I on the right path? And do I have to remove/replace the fan to make these fit?

I hear people have more luck with evga which is why i went with it, i assume its power draw is slightly lower than the pny one, id try to find the non overclocked evga version but the software to downclock the oc to stock takes like 2 seconds

diffusionx

Gold Member

You want the one with the one fan, like the PNY. EVGA makes one with one fan too. Not the one you listed. That's the one I got.

Jonm1010

Banned
I hear people have more luck with evga which is why i went with it, i assume its power draw is slightly lower than the pny one, id try to find the non overclocked evga version but the software to downclock the oc to stock takes like 2 seconds
The non-overlocked version says it is 10.5 inches long. Isn't that too big? The OC version is only 9.5 fr some reason.

You want the one with the one fan, like the PNY. EVGA makes one with one fan too. Not the one you listed. That's the one I got.
This one right?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NI45AUU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think I linked the wrong one I was looking at.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I've been running a 980 in my r2 for almost 3 months now with no problems, no underclock either. The existing r1 (with r2 powerboard upgrade) and r2 are capable of running the 980.

Which CPU is it paired with? How many HDDs are you running?

I kinda anticipate it happening around the rumored steam machine coming out party during GDC.

I want a Alienware X51 R3 shaped like a Xbox One with a large quiet fan(who thought the little 80mm fan was a good idea?).

I have them side by side on my desk and the XOne is a easily better looking machine.

reKon

Banned
If I get the i5 model and the PNY 970 gtx, adding another hard drive shouldn't cause any power issues should it? Or maybe I should just get an external drive.

Which CPU is it paired with? How many HDDs are you running?

I listed my setup and a few pictures 3 pages back. I'm running an Core i7 - 4770, with just the 2tb HDD.

Just took out the card and put it into a new case preparing for some sli 980 power, but the 980 installed in my r2 never gave any problems other than it being loud while gaming.

raven777

for those who put SSD and keep the original HDD as second drive:

I am having problem with my HDD keeps turning itself off. And No, this is not when I don't use the HDD for certain period of time. I have few games installed in the HDD and when I am playing game sometimes the HDD turns off and crashes the game. The timing of the HDD turning off is completely random. It makes weird noise within the machine and it just turns off randomly. I can turn it back on by going to the device manager and refreshing, but I feel something is wrong with the HDD situation.

FordGTGuy

Banned

I am having problem with my HDD keeps turning itself off. And No, this is not when I don't use the HDD for certain period of time. I have few games installed in the HDD and when I am playing game sometimes the HDD turns off and crashes the game. The timing of the HDD turning off is completely random. It makes weird noise within the machine and it just turns off randomly. I can turn it back on by going to the device manager and refreshing, but I feel something is wrong with the HDD situation.

I can't get my X51 to install the OS on my SSD at all.

It either complains about drivers or crashes. I've tried using all the suggested driver but never with any luck.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This one right?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NI45AUU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think I linked the wrong one I was looking at.
That's the one. I have it in my machine.

Check the cables you used to set it up. It sounds like it may be losing power.

I can't get my X51 to install the OS on my SSD at all.

It either complains about drivers or crashes. I've tried using all the suggested driver but never with any luck.

Suggested driver? I just booted with the Win 8 DVD in the drive, it installed to the SSD (same thing I've done since Windows 95), and I wiped the HDD once everything was up and running.

Did an interesting thing today, i put the clocks back to the defualt sc clocks so its 100mhz overclocked

Ran 3d mark without issues came out at 9100
Then Played unity for 2 hrs with about +5 fps throughout :) 50-60fps now
Played 6 hrs of csgo at 200-300fps :D

Gotta try a few more games but it'll be awesome if the R1 X51 can hold the factory overclocked settings :D

diffusionx

Gold Member
Did an interesting thing today, i put the clocks back to the defualt sc clocks so its 100mhz overclocked

Ran 3d mark without issues came out at 9100
Then Played unity for 2 hrs with about +5 fps throughout :) 50-60fps now
Played 6 hrs of csgo at 200-300fps :D

Gotta try a few more games but it'll be awesome if the R1 X51 can hold the factory overclocked settings :D

I use the 970 SC and did not under clock anything. The card is running as is without any problems.

Elitist1945

My PC (I have the R2) has been freezing every now and then. And when I say freezing, the monitor freezes, and then my mouse/keyboard turn off as if my PC isn't even on.

I have an i5 x51. Came from dell with the nvidia 660 and the 330w PSU. I'm unsure if this is the R1 or R2. It's a "early 2012" I believe.

Can I put one of the 970's in this model of easily? If so, is the "reference" card with single fan people have been talking about this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NTQ0B5G/

Uk based, so looking for the correct card in the UK.

Jonm1010

Banned
I have an i5 x51. Came from dell with the nvidia 660 and the 330w PSU. I'm unsure if this is the R1 or R2. It's a "early 2012" I believe.

Can I put one of the 970's in this model of easily? If so, is the "reference" card with single fan people have been talking about this one?

I think that one is too long.

I just ordered the EVGA 970 SC. Its linked a few posts up.

It seems to be the one a couple other people used. I plan to down clock it to reference levels.

jfoul

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Mini ITX is pretty small, but check your measurements.

Measurements: H=43, L=183, W=129 mm(include bracket)

Jonm1010

Banned
So I finnaly got around to hooking up my evga gtx 979 SC to me R1 x51.

I proceeded to down clock it reference levels(though I'm not sure I did it right) and decided to boot up far cry 3 first and it seemed to work fine for ten minutes.

Then I switched to skyrim with mods to test it.... And the system crashed. I booted up again and tried once more. Crash.

I'm wondering if I'm just the unlikely guy in here that's R1 isn't taking a 970. I know others elsewhere reported issues but with the overwhelming confidence here I gave it a go anyways. Any help would be appreciated.

So I finnaly got around to hooking up my evga gtx 979 SC to me R1 x51.

I proceeded to down clock it reference levels(though I'm not sure I did it right) and decided to boot up far cry 3 first and it seemed to work fine for ten minutes.

Then I switched to skyrim with mods to test it.... And the system crashed. I booted up again and tried once more. Crash.

I'm wondering if I'm just the unlikely guy in here that's R1 isn't taking a 970. I know others elsewhere reported issues but with the overwhelming confidence here I gave it a go anyways. Any help would be appreciated.

Make sure you have evga precision x installed (version 4.2.1 ideally) reduce the power target to 90% and reduce the gpu clock by 90mhz that gives you basically the stock card

If that work put the clock back to normal and put the power % to 98 like i have mine and test it

If it doesnt work either way then its possible the cards drawing too much power D:

what specs does your system have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom