• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I in the forever friend zone?

red731

She already turned me down saying that she doesn't want a relationship until she has her career going, but I'm still helping her and being really good friends.

You is good. Good luck!
Seems like you are peparing for when her's career is going!

Gunship

You hold hands with each other, say "I love you", help her with her career and tell her you're fine with her looking for a boyfriend, despite already being turned down by her?

The Dark Souls of dating.

Why are you and other trying to rewrite the definition of friend zone?

Everyone knows what's implied when you say friend zone, even the OP. What you're doing is talking about being friends, there's literally no reason to bring the friend zone into that conversation.

What?

The "friend zone" literally is used as I described it. Which is why it's bs

And the title of the OP literally uses the term

Like not one to cite Wikipedia very often but for a pop culture term it'll do:

In popular culture, the friend zone is a situation in which one member of a friendship wishes to enter into a romantic or sexual relationship, while the other does not. It is generally considered to be an undesirable or dreaded situation by the rejected person. The sense of zone is one of being stuck in an unwanted and distant relationship. The rejected person is said to have been put "in" the object of their affection's "friend zone", and this can be verbified, as in the sentence "So, she's friendzoned you."

The concept of the friend zone has been criticized as misogynistic, because of a belief that the concept implies an expectation that women should have sex with men whom they have no interest in, simply because they were nice to them. This is closely associated with so-called "nice guy syndrome".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friend_zone

So uh I'm not the one redefining it

"We even say "I love you" in a platonic friendship sense, and we even hold hands A LOT when we sit down and chat, but not down the street that would show we're in a relationship."

Made me lol hahah. This is both sweet and completely pathetic.

Jobbs

Banned
OP is probably among the last people on the planet she'd fuck

As a guy, If you find a woman unattractive, she couldn't "be nice" or "be a good friend" her way into your pants. Because attraction isn't a transaction and it's not even really very rational.

I'm just curious why some seem to think that it's any different from the woman's perspective.

Don't worry. As soon as she finds a job she will run to you, rip off her clothes and you will have sex for a week straight. You just gotto have patience.

Zen Aku

Joke answer: she basically put you in the friend zone and you locked yourself in there.

Real answer: she's probably never into you like that. Time to just be her friend and let's that feeling go man.

Peltz

I already knew the answer when I read the title of the thread. Anyone who asks if they're in the friend zone already has their answer.

If you're confident, dating shouldn't be this "grey area" thing. The friend zone isn't even real. If you have to ask then you've already screwed up.

Women want direct honesty. So ask them out. Don't dance around the issue. If she says "let's be friends" or "I'm just busy right now" then she's letting you down gently but actually has no interest in you.

Ban Puncher

zfpjjFc.gif

Easy_D

never left the stone age
There's no friend zone lol. What you need to learn is to drop it. She says she's not interested? You start looking elsewhere, you're just wasting your own time if you keep hoping that "Maybe one day!!". Be thankful you got a good friend out of it instead of wondering what "could" have been

Mediking

I already knew the answer when I read the title of the thread. Anyone who asks if they're in the friend zone already has their answer.

If you're confident, dating shouldn't be this "grey area" thing. The friend zone isn't even real. If you have to ask then you've already screwed up.

Women want direct honesty. So ask them out. Don't dance around the issue. If she says "let's be friends" or "I'm just busy right now" then she's letting you down gently but actually has no interest in you.

^ Wrap it up. We're done.

DeathyBoy

Banned
If you're thinking in terms of 'friend zone' and that whole philosophy of life, you're doing it wrong.

Damn paradoxes.

I will never understand why people ask Gaffers for serious advice, why Gaffers give advice like they're experts, or how these threads get to double digit pages.

As a guy, If you find a woman unattractive, she couldn't "be nice" or "be a good friend" her way into your pants. Because attraction isn't a transaction and it's not even really very rational.

I'm just curious why some seem to think that it's any different from the woman's perspective.

It's the same for all the sexes, orientations and gender identities all over I would imagine.

You like who you like.

I won't change my mind, because I don't have to. Because I'm an American. I won't change my mind on anything, regardless of the facts that are set out before me. I'm dug in, and I'll never change.
Why are we reciting Sonic lyrics in this thread?

Anyway, in regarding the friend zone, I've come to realize a lot of GAF likes to throw away the bronze when they don't win the gold, when some of us are lucky to even be in the running. ;)

ironmang

Not for me. I've developed feelings towards a couple friends over my life that I wasn't interested in beyond being friends when our friendship began. Seeing how they treat me, their family, and our peers over time definitely makes me think better or worse of someone.

Not the same as a guy trying to wear down a girl hoping she'll sleep with him of course.

lol

I think the test is if the female became 100% unavailable (gets married, becomes a lesbian, etc) and the male would still continue a friendship, then there's real validity to the friendship. I suspect most of those 'male friends' would disappear when someone else enters the picture.

I'm not saying it's wrong for two people to be friends after a relationship, a hook-up, or one's attempt to be with the other. It's unhealthy if one party continues to carry feelings for someone and is only in the 'friendship' because of that.

It's weird to continue friendships with people who actively want you. It's also a huge conflict of interest if you ever get married or start dating someone and the friendship continues. I don't think my girlfriend would be happy with me continuing friendships with girls who want me, and to me that's just common sense.

Let me introduce me to a new classification. Orbiters, those guys that double down on being in the friend zone by continuing to hang out with the girl AND her new boyfriend under the same pretence of being a friend. He still wants her and does not want to let her go so will become a friend of the boyfriend as well. Inviting himself to activities that were planned without him, planning activities that involve the couple. Bonus points gained if he's managed to suck up to the girls mother who thinks he's a lovely guy and this allows friend zone guy to claim "he's one of the family".

If this is one of you guys reading this, let me tell you as boyfriends WE KNOW and will try to get you out of the picture ASAP without upsetting new girlfriend.

written by a woman who's verdict is: Men are binary, testosterone-driven cunts. Nice try though. Feminism at its finest.

As for the OP: Sorry bro, you're in the friend zone. Move along :(

Almost like she's literally talking about people who talk about friend zoning and not all men...

But lol at the bolded

jdforge

Banned
You can escape friendzones, I've done it. However there needs to have been some sexual contact, and something to reignite that connection.

It won't just happen that one day you'll be sat there holding hands telling each other I love you and out of nowhere start fucking.

You're going to have to start dropping major hints about sex, walk around with a hardon I dunno - but you have to show this woman you are a sexually attractive person and not just someone to hold hands with.

If you get the sex DO NOT mention relationships. You'll scare her away. Just fuck and then go back to hand holding until you fuck again.

This bit is straight up hilarious.

You can escape friendzones, I've done it. However there needs to have been some sexual contact, and something to reignite that connection.

It won't just happen that one day you'll be sat there holding hands telling each other I love you and out of nowhere start fucking.

You're going to have to start dropping major hints about sex, walk around with a hardon I dunno - but you have to show this woman you are a sexually attractive person and not just someone to hold hands with.

If you get the sex DO NOT mention relationships. You'll scare her away. Just fuck and then go back to hand holding until you fuck again.

o_O

Or don't do any of this.

Walk around with a hard on?

Jasup

I too knew what to expect coming into this thread.

To the bolded, it's not just the women who want direct honesty. And as the OP described his advances got rejected. But he still seems to want to eventually start a relationship with her although he says he doesn't have romantic feelings towards her or something. The issue is more in responding to the honesty.

or:
- Want to go out on a date?
- No
- Ok, let's hang out together as friends, I'll ask again in few months.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.

just dont expect any back

_Ryo_

^ Wrap it up. We're done.

Tho to be fair both sides deserve direct honesty. I think you could maybe argue that letting someone down gently isnt very direct as that person may not always understand that theyve been rejected in that way and would still convince themselves that there is hope for something more.

Me personally Id rather a person just tell me honestly and very directly "I am not interested in persuing any romantic relationship with you" or "no. Im not attracted to you"

But I prefer blunt honestly in general and it is how I act myself as well.

Dude Abides

Banned

Another good tip is to masturbate in front of her. Worked for Mike Cernovich.

Yachty

Banned

I thought holding hands counts as sex. Also this post killed me man kudos for you if that's what you were trying to get

This will work, do it op and report back to us!

After many hours finally the one post the OP was looking for!

Livedili

Banned
Almost like she's literally talking about people who talk about friend zoning and not all men...

But lol at the bolded

What is so lol about the bolded when it's not wrong? She condones literally all men, not only those who feel like they're friend zoned.

I agree that some (!) men are binary when it comes to women, but not all. And those are the - according to internet terms - so called beta cucks. Still doesn't make it right to generalize. I'm not calling all women money hungry leeches either, even though some clearly are.

Joni

It is possible to be friends with a girl, but it is not possible to be friends with a girl when you actually want to bone her and she doesn't. It is better for everyone to cut it off if you can't move past that.

What is so lol about the bolded when it's not wrong? She condones literally all men, not only those who feel like they're friend zoned.

I agree that some (!) men are binary when it comes to women, but not all. And those are the - according to internet terms - so called beta cucks. Still doesn't make it right to generalize. I'm calling all women money hungry leeches either, even though some clearly are.

I mean taking some pot shot at feminism is always going to make me laugh. Though you actually using beta cuck is even funnier

The argument that men can also "friend zone" women has been put out there, but it ignores one universal truth: women don't see men as binary options like fuckable or friend. Women have complex, nuanced, confusing, fulfilling, tumultuous relationships with women, men and non-gender-binary persons. Naturally, men can as well, but the type of man who claims he's been put in the "friend zone" is explicitly telling you he is categorizing your worth on whether or not he wants to stick his dick in you.

"Friend zoned" men need to grow the fuck up and handle rejection like adults. Because the "friend zone" isn't actually a thing.

This is the exact fucking opposite of literally all men, she's literally talking about the type of men who throw around friend-zone.

So unless you think all men throw around friend zone she's literally not condemning all men.

Literally

Well, she's not interested in a relationship, so there's not much you can do. I say move on and reduce the amount of time you spend with her. Obviously, its not going anywhere, so why waste your time? If you still want to continue being her friend, that's fine, but don't invest anymore emotionally into it.
She already gave you the hint. Just take it.

Livedili

Banned
This is the exact fucking opposite of literally all men, she's literally talking about the type of men who throw around friend-zone.

So unless you think all men throw around friend zone she's literally not condemning all men.
Misread it then, my bad.

We can start debating feminism if you like. There's plenty proof that those entitled to it are actually retarded. Just throwing a bone here: Google Hugh Mungus. But keep laughing at it :>

Skux

I mean it's OK to just be friends too. Sheesh some people saying just ditch her. It's like the sole reason to have a woman around is for you people to fuck or something.

When you're blue balls deep in unrequited love, you can't cure yourself by continuing to have contact with someone who makes you feel pain.

OP needs to ghost. Vanish from her life. You are doing yourself no favours stringing yourself along like this.

notaskwid

Misread it then, my bad.

We can start debating feminism if you like. There's plenty proof that those entitled to it are actually retarded. Just throwing a bone here: Google Hugh Mungus. But keep laughing at it :>
Using retarded, beta cuck, etc. I think 4chan/reddit is calling you.

If you are waiting for something to happen with this woman, stop. It is not happening. Stop hanging out with her so much. You are basically going on dates without the actual dating. This is not good for you.

If you actually want to be friends and are able to put aside your romantic feeling and move on, then be a friend and actually live your own life instead of tagging along with hers all week.

Misread it then, my bad.

I mean this is pretty hilarious.

You misread an article and claim her some was all and rage and now you point to one incident as to why all feminism is bad and those who follow it are the r word...

I mean what.

Top Bottom