• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
When mentioning pre-orders, no one ever mentions gamestop. Is there a reason for that? I know they suck, but I have Dedede, Ike, Sheik and Bowser pre-ordered from there.

Should I be worried?

i pre-ordered all 10 of my wave 1 amiibos and all my wave 3 from gamestop and i havent had any issues yet.

Can anyone make sense of the email from Toys R Us:

"Thank you for your order from Toys”R”Us on eBay.

The Amiibo item(s) you purchased were intended for pre-sale and will not ship 2/1. If you would prefer a refund today, please reply to this email and request one from our customer service group. Otherwise, the item will ship out on or near 2/1. 
We apologize for any inconvenience."

Does that just mean the shipping date Will be loose, and more necessarily 2/1?

Can anyone make sense of the email from Toys R Us:

"Thank you for your order from Toys”R”Us on eBay.

The Amiibo item(s) you purchased were intended for pre-sale and will not ship 2/1. If you would prefer a refund today, please reply to this email and request one from our customer service group. Otherwise, the item will ship out on or near 2/1. 
We apologize for any inconvenience."

Does that just mean the shipping date Will be loose, and more necessarily 2/1?

I assume this is for an eBay purchase? The original date on the Lucario was for 12/31/14 or something, so they're just saying "hey, it's not out for a month or w/e so back out if you want."

Jawmuncher

The amiibo discussion thread 2 is all done for when the time comes.
Didn't go extravgant but I think it's fine for what it is and includes the info I noticed most asked in this thread.

Gurrry

So I really want to open the ones I have, but I want to do it without damaging the packaging. Looks like I need some sort of box cutter or something from the guides online.

I really wanna open these without messing up the box!

Got my two amiibos today from TRU due to their sale and my having to unload store credit due to a return. I got Samus and Pikachu. Both look great, but Pikachu's pose makes it look like he's about to fall over. I wish I could have gotten a villager since that was one of the few I really wanted, but overall I'm kind of impressed with the quality. I think I might get a Bowser, Toon Link, and Rosalina and stop there because I don't like the looks of the others currently out right now.

Have they said how Captain Toad is going to use them?

Also, is it ok to store them on top of my Wii U? Will that damage anything?

Fandangox

When mentioning pre-orders, no one ever mentions gamestop. Is there a reason for that? I know they suck, but I have Dedede, Ike, Sheik and Bowser pre-ordered from there.

Should I be worried?

I have heard no complains from anyone except a single instance in this thread, everyone else says they get got them in time and the packaging is pretty good.

redhairedking

Anyone in the St Louis area, the Toys R Us in South County has 2 Fox left, a few Zelda, and dozens of Luigi. They have TWO Amiibo displays, one right when you walk in with just the mainstays and a second in the game section that takes up a whole side of an aisle. Competing for space with Infinity and Skylanders but clearly less well stocked.

And weirdly : ZERO Pikachu! I wanted one, but there were none at all. I wonder if Pika is following Fox down the slowly-becoming-rare road.

I doubt they're still in stock at this point, fortunately Zelda was the only one I really fancied and I can get her on Amazon.

Fox Mulder

Out of Wave 3, minus the retailer exclusives, which of the figures will be the rarest? Ike and DDD have no Amazon.ca preorders, so could they be the ones?

I'd like to hope that dedede and meta knight wont be rare, as they'll actually have functionality in the upcoming Kirby game along with Kirby.

But they probably will be.

fernoca

Just arrived from work (nearly 2AM) and this was waiting for me!!

pR08oDY.jpg

Now to open them!!

gAg CruSh3r

So I been debating if I should open up my amiibo or not. I only have two, which are Captain Falcon and Little Mac. I just don't know.. I want to but then I don't because they look so awesome in the box. I want to use them too.

Rizific

i pre-ordered all 10 of my wave 1 amiibos and all my wave 3 from gamestop and i havent had any issues yet.
Did you have them shipped to you or in store pick up? Based on my one experience when I luckily stumbled on a Mac at gs and based off of what the worker said, it sounds like I should pre order in store.

Jetku

This guy is not only annoying but misinformed about NFC not being nearly as "smart" as the RFID chipsets in Infinity/Skylanders.

He is wrong about specifics but he is right about the flaw.

One of his issues, which is quite valid, is that amiibo don't sit on a portal, therefore must be resync'ed when you are finished with them. Skylanders and Disney Infinity are frequently writing to the figures as they are in constant range of the nfc devices.

prateeko

So hey guys, remember TRU said the code for the preorders expires today at 11:59pm?

Well, they also said they will make them available for everyone once the codes expires... in case they have stock left.

Just letting you guys know to keep and eye out.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=54369136&minCartRedir=TRU

Am I the only one who never got a code? All I received was an email saying the cancellation email was an error, and that my order had been reinstated. Isn't that what happened for other people?

So I heard people were getting screwed using Ship to Store at Best Buy. Should I be safe with Ship to Store at GameStop, or should I worry about that too?

The more steps you add in the process will increase the chances for someone to screw something up. Just ship them to your house as we've already heard about places selling preordered items to other people. Granted, it's not common, but for a few bucks it's worth it to avoid that scenario and save on gas at the same time.

Josephl64

Hey I legitamtely shop. I buy toys for my little cousins all the time and like to look around the toys sections for the Amiibos.

I don't think that's why he said that...I too shop in person, but the point being is that they're just all gone period. I'd be impressed if I see anybody here in the States find the rare 3 sitting on a shelf

TRU seems they are the most disorganized retailer selling Amiibos. Amazon has been great, had a surpisingly easy transaction with GS..But TRU burned others then burned me on Ebay..

Acting like they had Falcon in stock when they didn't (offered 2 day shipping-"Get it by Christmas"), and defaulted my order for one that was supposed to be in hand to backordered status without telling me. Oh and charged me for the whole transaction as well while shipping nothing..I tell them I want a refund and they offer me a 10% off a future order..Wow..Thanks TRU that just about covers the tax. Still haven't refunded me the cash which is instantly when using Paypal..They tell me it takes 3-5 days to issue a refund..In reality it takes a second, but they sit on the money on a purchase I was tricked into making by their false listing.

I hope they don't screw up their Lucario preorders as bad. I got the ticket, paid my dollar, still have the receipt..But they'll probably f that up too.

Thoraxes

I've had zero problems ordering online with Target and Gamestop. Gamestop is organized in store while Target has been a fucking mess though. In-store Best Buy hasn't been bad either. I have really helpful employees at my local BB.

The real test will be wave 3 and pre-orders though.

I grabbed a Wii Fit Trainer, Fox, Pit, and Little Mac at a random gamestore in Nakano Broadway. Wondering if Villager and Marth are hard to find in Tokyo.

Koren

In Europe and Japan Wave 3 has been split into 2 parts. With the bolded characters being January releases and the underlined being in February as opposed to the US getting all of them in one wave in February.
Many thanks... Now, I'm wondering what the release date for the second part is (please, NOT february 13th at all cost!)

Edit: seems to be February 20th... Not so convenient, but not awful either... Well...

Ok so what is the actual release for Amibos in Europe and Japan?

Seeing a lot of conflitcing dates. for example Amazon.de says all of wave 3 is on the 23rd of January. I thought JPN and EU were splitting the set?
See above. It's definitively cut in half, and I've not seen any preorders for the 23th for any Amiibos other than Toon Link, Ike, Sheik, Lucario, Rosalina and Bowser, even on Amazon.de (?)

Underneath that, instead of a blank space like the US box, there is a list of different languages there?
For Amiibos with different names (usuch as Villager), there's the name in seven languages on the top of the box.

Marth, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer are the rarest so far.
In Europe, Villager probably, but Marth isn't so rare (I found Kirby to be more elusive, and Little Mac seems to follow closely... I've only seen each one once, and bought both).

Zalman

So I just got my two first Disney Infinity figures since they were very cheap. Man, the quality is nothing compared to amiibo. Nintendo really hit it out of the park. (Except for the weird stands, of course.)

So I just got my two first Disney Infinity figures since they were very cheap. Man, the quality is nothing compared to amiibo. Nintendo really hit it out of the park. (Except for the weird stands, of course.)
Infinity figures have three things going for them over Amiibo right now.

1: they are designed with poses in mind for being figurines. No pillars of plastic necessary.

2: the big ones are larger than Amiibos. My Wreck It Ralph towers over Donkey Kong. Baymax and Venom are likewise huge dudes. Bowser, DK, and a few others could benefit from being a bit larger.

3: they have cool thematic bases. Vanellope is standing on a tiny cupcake, Merida is in some grass with a little spirit flame next to her, the Avengers all pose in the rubble of New York's streets. The Smash Amiibo are all meant to look like the in-game trophies so it makes sense here, but I hope future Amiibo figures have cooler bases.

I'm absolutely sure that later Amiibo waves will look cooler.

And to their credit, the character sculpts on the Amiibo figures are absolutely above and beyond Infinity and Skylanders in terms of quality... As long as the paint jobs are good. Took a little while to find a DK that wasn't wall-eyed. But that will improve in later waves with bigger budgets I bet.

Zalman

Infinity figures have three things going for them over Amiibo right now.

1: they are designed with poses in mind for being figurines. No pillars of plastic necessary.

2: the big ones are larger than Amiibos. My Wreck It Ralph towers over Donkey Kong. Baymax and Venom are likewise huge dudes. Bowser, DK, and a few others could benefit from being a bit larger.

3: they have cool thematic bases. Vanellope is standing on a tiny cupcake, Merida is in some grass with a little spirit flame next to her, the Avengers all pose in the rubble of New York's streets. The Smash Amiibo are all meant to look like the in-game trophies so it makes sense here, but I hope future Amiibo figures have cooler bases.

I'm absolutely sure that later Amiibo waves will look cooler.

And to their credit, the character sculpts on the Amiibo figures are absolutely above and beyond Infinity and Skylanders in terms of quality... As long as the paint jobs are good. Took a little while to find a DK that wasn't wall-eyed. But that will improve in later waves with bigger budgets I bet.
Agreed with everything. I definitely don't think we'll see the support pillars again after the Smash Bros. collection. Nintendo kind of put themselves in a situation where they didn't have much of a choice. It won't happen again. I do hope they improve the quality control. Having to look for a Samus that is standing straight or a Kirby where the mouth is centered is not ideal. I shouldn't have to worry about these things.

GRaider81

Personally think the infinity figures are of a higher quality than amiibo.

I just prefer the amiibo characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom