• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS4 sold through 2.1 million units worldwide as of 12/1, 700K in EU/AU

I doubt the PS4 is going to outsell the X1 by a good 40m lol. In fact it isn't going to happen. Microsoft are still seeing healthy demand for thier system despite the price difference, and when the price cut comes, they'll become dominant in NA and the UK again.

Without a 2 to 1 lead in the US and UK, that's exactly what that means. Microsofts sales are extremely US/UK heavy, and even a tie in those territories means a 20 odd million lead for Sony.

Sony crusing for an easy win in either is disastrous for MS, which is why Sony flooded the market there with so many consoles.

avaya

I doubt the PS4 is going to outsell the X1 by a good 40m lol. In fact it isn't going to happen. Microsoft are still seeing healthy demand for thier system despite the price difference, and when the price cut comes, they'll become dominant in NA and the UK again.

Oh Hindle.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Functional is a nice way of putting it. It works like shit without Kinect. Xbox is married to Kinect, removing it is not on the table, however much you want it to be.

That's your opinion. Given the option, I would never choose to use the Kinect.

Considering the number of UI revisions the 360 went through, I'm confident they'll be forced to update the Xbone to make any lacking areas more controller friendly at some point as well.

Vashetti

Banned
Sony won't cut the price of the PS4 when they're in a stable posisition to begin with.

Sony are in a better position to cut their price as soon as MS do.

The PS4's components are also going to get cheaper faster than the Xbox One's too.

MS are always going to be behind because Sony will always be ready to pricecut.

Shahed

While good figures it still seems heavily supply constrained. Supply which has been prioritised heavily in favour of US and UK. I can understand the reasoning and it's probably the best choice. Doesn't stop it from being slightly disappointing though and I hope Sony don't take non-UK EU residents for granted

Hindle

Banned
Without a 2 to 1 lead in the US and UK, that's exactly what that means. Microsofts sales are extremely US/UK heavy, and even a tie in those territories means a 20 odd million lead for Sony.

Sony crusing for an easy win in either is disastrous for MS, which is why Sony flooded the market there with so many consoles.

MS will see increased sales WW when they cut the price, and they had a good 30% marketshare in Europe this gen, well Germany anyway. With an equal price, they'll be able to compete in both NA and Europe.

Sony won't cut the price of the PS4 when they're in a stable posisition to begin with.

But MS will even they are apparently selling fine right now?
MS will see increased sales WW when they cut the price, and they had a good 30% marketshare in Europe this gen, well Germany anyway. With an equal price, they'll be able to compete in both NA and Europe.

Please tell my in the world you can possibly believe they can compete in Europe when they failed to last time when they had a year headstart and cheaper price? Now suddenly the price will be equal in like a year and they will compete?

DDR2 prices are pretty high because it's a bespoke product at this point. There are no manufacturing lines up for DDR2 because it's not in demand. If you order DDR2 you're going to have to take that into account.

It's really no different than say requesting a Ferrari F50 from Ferrari. They're going to charge you a premium ontop of the cost of the car because they no longer have a production line setup for any of it's panels/parts or engine.

I think you missed the point.

Danziger

The numbers speak for themselves: MS will do little also slashing the price of XBOXOne!

PS4 console is the best, people know it, and the sales prove it and will continue to prove it in the future.

I think MS will return unlikely leader in the U.S. or in the UK, this generation!
Sony is back to the glories of the PS2, and it is only the beginning! :)

Hindle

Banned
Sony are in a better position to cut their price as soon as MS do.

The PS4's components are also going to get cheaper faster than the Xbox One's too.

MS are always going to be behind because Sony will always be ready to pricecut.

Why would they cut the price when they're in a great posisition as it is?

MS cannot cut the price to match the ps4 at all. The xbone is more expensive to manufacture even without Kinect.

Lol "cut the price".

It's not happening.

The PS4 is cheaper to produce than XB1 EVEN WITHOUT Kinect. And the hardware is ridiculously simple, yet powerful.

Sony has far more avenues to cut price than Microsoft.

MS is going to be on the defensive this entire gen.

Why would they cut the price when they're in a great posisition as it is?

Because the benefit of having a lower price from the start is having a lower price forever. They're already making a profit or close to a profit per unit, so they can afford to do it in order to keep the upper hand in their favor.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
To be honest, I'm not sure Sony will win in Sweden. I have not seen anything near the hype in UK / Germany here, and very little advertising etc. Anecdotal, but most of my friends have 360, and of those who has both ps3 & 360, 360 is the main console. And none of them seems interested in switching over to PS4.

This is absolutely not the impression I've been getting. The hype has been overwhelmingly in favor of the PS4 over the XBO from what I've seen on Swedish forums and such. Now, that might not say very much about what the general population thinks, but I'm still pretty damn confident that Sony will beat MS here. The PS3 was the more popular console here last gen (I don't know the actual console numbers, but its multiplats always placed higher than the 360 ones on the sales charts). That most of your friends have 360s is, as you say, anectotal. My anectode is the opposite: Almost everyone I know is a PS3 gamer, and several of them have now bought PS4s.

JoeM86

Such a stark contrast between Sony and Nintendo.

Not entirely.

Wii U did sell 3.09 million units between November 18th 2012 and December 31st 2012. It's after that in which Nintendo faltered and Sony may still, we just don't know yet. It won't be until March/April if we see that this does have the staying power we hope it does.

Hindle

Banned
But MS will even they are apparently selling fine right now?

Please tell my in the world you can possibly believe they can compete in Europe when they failed to last time when they had a year headstart and cheaper price? Now suddenly the price will be equal in like a year and they will compete?

MS sold a good 80m units this gen. Roughly 27m came from NA, 8m in the UK. Where was the rest sold? Europe that's where.

WinFonda

Microsoft has healthy demand right now because the enthusiasts and fans are buying it. Let's see what kind of momentum they have going into next year. Then we'll see how detrimental the price difference is and any other other brand issues coming home to roost. My guess is its not going to be pretty, and Microsoft becoming "dominant" in the US and UK will look like an impossibility by then (if it already doesn't, lol.) Even outselling the PS4 in the US is looking like a long shot.

To those saying a kinectless Xbox One is imminent that's the least likely thing to do. I suppose it is technically possible to do but using the interface without it is pretty broken. They'd need a deep rewrite of the OS to pull that off and I don't think that's on the cards. I'd thought otherwise but since I got one I'm inclined to think it is not going to happen. I also don't think a direct price drop is happening anytime soon either. Microsoft is going through a big internal transition and the Xbox team won't won't to stick out in any way. My guess is you see one bundled game and 6 months of xblg as standard with each console starting with Titanfall. A price drop won't come till later in the year probably with an accelerated hardware revision to drop costs.

Pistolero

MS had a 16 months start and benefited for a couple of years from an immense price advantage. Neither of those two elements is at play in this second round. Many, many PS fans opted for the 360 by default, since it was available and ended up being much cheaper for a long time. Those same buyers are likely to get back on the PS train.

Not entirely.

Wii U did sell 3.09 million units between November 18th 2012 and December 31st 2012. It's after that in which Nintendo faltered and Sony may still, we just don't know yet. It won't be until March/April if we see that this does have the staying power we hope it does.

Wii U didn't sell that at all. It shipped and and was overshipped to hell as we saw the next two quarters of abysmal shipments.

Roughly 27m came from NA

Don't pull shit from your ass. And your post had nothing to do with mine anyway. Sony outsold MS with one of the worst starts you can have, and yet now in great position MS is going to pull thing close?

killatopak

Gold Member
Not entirely.

I think it's because of the drought of games that the HW sales began to decline and I'm just not seeing that with Sony because of all the 1st, 2nd, 3rd party and indie support that the Wii U lacked.

MS sold a good 80m units this gen. Roughly 27m came from NA, 8m in the UK. Where was the rest sold? Europe that's where.

Xbox sold a lot in developing markets too.

The advantages that PS2 and 360 had was that they were the defacto choice for dirty pirate scum.

For reference, in the US through October 2013 (Source: NPD):
Xbox 360 - 39.8M
PS3 - 24.8M

And the last figures I can recall for the UK (Gfk/Sony UK):
Xbox 360 - 8.5K
PS3 - 5M

Both systems reached 80M shipped recently (iirc).

Shipments will exceed sell through - so of the 80M shipped, likely 50-55M were to the US and UK alone for the 360.
Conversely, for the PS3 this last gen, around 30-35M of those shipments were to the US and UK.
Wii U did sell 3.09 million units between November 18th 2012 and December 31st 2012.
These are sell-through numbers. Those were shipment numbers, and those shipments to Europe still haven't sold through. Thus negative shipments.

Tobor

Not entirely.

Nintendo shipped 3 million units. It took months to clear out that stock and in Europe resulted in periods with negative shipments.

Sony will sell through a minimum of 5 million by March. That's selling through every console they make to customers, not stuffing the channels with Wii U's to collect dust on store shelves.

Hindle

Banned
Your numbers are bad. MS sold about 40 million units in NA, not 27.

Sony was at about 20 million units.

My mistake.

So 40m in NA, 8m in the UK. The rest were sold in Europe. Not too bad for a console that's apparently non existent in the region. The Xbox One should sell less mind, but not by much.

RulkezX

With a year head start and £150 cheaper from the start.

I like how if you take away NA and the UK all that you leave is "Europe"

Sendou

Talking about the negative Wii U shipments in Europe: how can you just return stock like that? I'm little confused about it. Is it something Nintendo willingly does to avoid mass price drops and such or am I completely off the mark here?

Rather is it just simply that Nintendo says "you can return these consoles whenever if they don't sell" to have sufficient stock available everywhere?

Ricky_R

You're assuming too much there. You're also forgetting that eventhough the bone has demand, there will be a time when demand will stabilize and the PS4 should sell consistently due to price difference, among other things, unless MS gets too desperate and issues a price-cut way before forecast. Even then, it's unlikely that they will be as dominant.

You also need to remember that it might not be as easy for MS to dominate US/UK as last gen since the PS4 not only enjoys a great perception among consumers, but it has released at the same time as the Xbox, with far better word of mouth and at a better price point. This is without using the significant power difference or the constant release of first/second party games that many people have come to appreciate on the PS3 as a metric.

killatopak

Gold Member
My mistake.

So 40m in NA, 8m in the UK. The rest were sold in Europe. Not too bad for a console that's apparently non existent in the region. The Xbox One should sell less mind, but not by much.

You're forgetting about Asia, Africa and Australia?! smh

I know a lot of people in my country in Asia who bought an Xbox 360 because of the price and power advantage. I don't think that's gonna happen again now.

Tulerian

Not entirely.

I thought that was proved to be false, after the reports of returns to Nintendo became known from retail early in 2013. Weren't sales charts modified heavily about February time?

I might be remembering wrong...

Hindle

Banned
You're assuming too much there. You're also forgetting that eventhough the bone has demand, there will be a time when demand will stabilize and the PS4 should sell consistently due to price difference, among other things, unless MS gets too desperate and issues a price-cut way before forecast. Even then, it's unlikely that they will be as dominant.

You also need to remember that it might not be as easy for MS to dominate US/UK as last gen since the PS4 not only enjoys a great perception among consumers, but it has released at the same time as the Xbox, with far better word of mouth and at a better price point. This is without using the significant power difference or the constant release of first/second party games that many people have come to appreciate on the PS3 as a metric.

This entire thread is filled with assumption lol.

Edit. Anyway, I'm done. Argueing about the future is silly at this point.

RulkezX

You're forgetting about Asia, Africa and Australia?! smh

I know a lot of people in my country in Asia who bought an Xbox 360 because of the price and power advantage. I don't think that's gonna happen again now.

And the year head start and £100+ cheaper price didnt matter either.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Not entirely.

It definitely will. The WiiU vs PS4 markets are incomparable considering the WiiU's legacy as a successor to a casual/family/mainstream hit.

There are millions out there with PS3s who will jump to the 4 without question. The Wii to WiiU doesn't have that same pull.

Top Bottom