• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS4 sold through 2.1 million units worldwide as of 12/1, 700K in EU/AU

Raist

Banned
MS sold a good 80m units this gen. Roughly 27m came from NA, 8m in the UK. Where was the rest sold? Europe that's where.

That NA figure seems completely off. They were at 25.4M sold in the US only in April 2011.

There is absolutely no way their EU (minus the UK) share is as big as you think it to be.

And the year head start and £100+ cheaper price didnt matter either.

Yep. Can't be understated. A year headstart and a huge price advantage only led MS to TIE Sony last gen.

They were cruising for a loss before the generation started. The only debate is how big, and if these launch numbers say anything about US/UK demand the answer is "pretty damn big"

DBT85

I doubt the PS4 is going to outsell the X1 by a good 40m lol. In fact it isn't going to happen. Microsoft are still seeing healthy demand for thier system despite the price difference, and when the price cut comes, they'll become dominant in NA and the UK again.

That's a mighty large call.

kartu

Banned
So is it good news or not as good as anticipated news?
Weren't there expectations that EU would buy 2 million PS4s by now?

A lot of people seem to be hoping or assuming that MS will just roll along as they have been and let Sony have a win.Going by the terrible E3 reveal, it's not impossible, but they've made a lot of changes leading up to launch, I'd be surprised if they weren't willing to make more if Sony start to take a big lead in the new year.

Hindle

Banned
That NA figure seems completely off. They were at 25.4M sold in the US only in April 2011.

There is absolutely no way their EU (minus the UK) share is as big as you think it to be.

The US figure was off by a lot. See one of my above comments for the corrected number.

My mistake.

So 40m in NA, 8m in the UK. The rest were sold in Europe. Not too bad for a console that's apparently non existent in the region. The Xbox One should sell less mind, but not by much.
360 became the pirate's console in most of Asia and in Russia. It made a lot of sales there in a similar manner to the PSP. The Bone won't be making the same sales to those people.

360 sold 2.4m units in Germany which is the second largest market in Europe after the UK. The Bone is not going to hang on to all of those buyer because it doesn't have the same inherent price and time to market advantages. 25-30m in the US, 5m in the UK and 10-20m elsewhere.

anecdotal but i'm sure a few people bought it multiple times due to RROD, I know people that did

That's hard to quantify, but the 360 got a huge midlife bump thanks to Kinect, selling 25 million units or so. That's probably a bigger console mover than RROD replacements, and isn't happening again.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
System is functional without Kinect, so, they can.
Ahhh.. So you HAVEN'T used an XBONE before. No, the system is barely functional and entirely frustrating without Kinect. Literally almost the entire UI would/will have to be redesigned from the ground up if they start shipping without Kinect. Guys who are loving the system fully admit even simple things like achievements and code redemption are buried and seemingly unreachable with the controller. The upside to Kinect is that it makes the UI pretty slick. The downside to it is that as the UI exists now they would be slitting their wrists shipping it without Kinect, and yes even with minor changes.

My mistake.

So 40m in NA, 8m in the UK. The rest were sold in Europe. Not too bad for a console that's apparently non existent in the region. The Xbox One should sell less mind, but not by much.

You mean the region MS is giving the shaft by not even having a solid release date for most countries, launching at a higher price than both competitors and where kinect/xbox live will be lucky to have half the features available as the US does?

Yep. Can't be understated. A year headstart and a huge price advantage only led MS to TIE Sony last gen.

They were cruising for a loss before the generation started. The only debate is how big, and if these launch numbers say anything about US/UK demand the answer is "pretty damn big"

It's funny, that no matter how much you educate some mofos, people stll cling to the idea that MS will somehow come out on top or be "even".

It's not happening. Sony may be playing the humble game (and hell, some of them may be genuine depending on which exec you ask), but they all know they're in for a win. They know it, MS knows, Nintendo sure as FUCK knows it.

RulkezX

anecdotal but i'm sure a few people bought it multiple times due to RROD, I know people that did

I don't think MS included them in the numbers, most people got them replaced under warranty.

Demand for both seems strong , I think in the Uk at leats we will probably see a role reversal (3:2 in Sony's favour). The XO isn't going to be a flop by any metric.

My mistake.

Shipments will exceed sell-through. So you're looking at between ~25-30M for the rest of the world v. ~45-50M for the rest of the world, or a rough delta of 20M units.

This is with a 17 (?) month advantage and a significant price advantage.

It's not a far-fetched proposition that without those advantages in non-UK PAL territories, and without advantage in the US and UK, that delta will extend with these systems.

That's hard to quantify, but the 360 got a huge midlife bump thanks to Kinect, selling 25 million units or so. That's probably a bigger console mover than RROD replacements, and isn't happening again.

Yeah I know, there's no real way to know how big an impact RROD had, I went through a few consoles myself. No way would I do that again however.

Who in the right mind would buy it? Selling something as big as the Xbox division isn't as easy as people make out. MS would demand a sizeable fee, and they'd want to sell the brand as a total package, that way they'd get more money.

Edit. Apple and Samsung wouldn't buy. Disney are possible candidates.

No-one would buy it whole (including Disney), they'd sell it off in pieces like THQ was. Maybe they'd keep Halo and 343 on staff, because it's such an enormous series, but the rest would be sold off separately and the ones that aren't bought would be closed down (like Vigil Games).

It can be spun out as a standalone entity. And why would Disney buy it... wth. :S

I doubt they'd survive a month if they were spun off as a standalone company. Throwing money at problems is such a big part of Microsoft's culture at this point that I really doubt they'd be able to turn things around fast enough to survive.

I doubt the PS4 is going to outsell the X1 by a good 40m lol. In fact it isn't going to happen. Microsoft are still seeing healthy demand for thier system despite the price difference, and when the price cut comes, they'll become dominant in NA and the UK again.

So much blind hope.

I don't think MS included them in the numbers, most people got them replaced under warranty.

Demand for both seems strong , I think in the Uk at leats we will probably see a role reversal (3:2 in Sony's favour). The XO isn't going to be a flop by any metric.

Never said it was a flop (that's the wiiu) but of the 80 million 360s sold, 50 million were in the US/UK. That's very, very heavy on a single region, meaning MS loses a ton of sales if Sony leads or ties there.

The reverse isn't true. Sony is strong enough elsewhere that flopping in the US with 25 million units last round didn't kill their business. MS only doing 25 million stateside means there will be no Xbox two.

sephi22

I don't think there will be a 40 difference either, but LMAO @ the thought of XBox being dominant in NA and UK after this.
If a price cut comes, Sony will be sure to match it.

Majine

Banned
Where is Major Nelson? We need sales info of X1.

They won't give it if they can't beat that, and they can't beat that.

So if anything, expect something with a spin to it that hides the real number.

Until the quarterly report or something.

pukko

Neo Member
This is absolutely not the impression I've been getting. The hype has been overwhelmingly in favor of the PS4 over the XBO from what I've seen on Swedish forums and such. Now, that might not say very much about what the general population thinks, but I'm still pretty damn confident that Sony will beat MS here. The PS3 was the more popular console here last gen (I don't know the actual console numbers, but its multiplats always placed higher than the 360 ones on the sales charts). That most of your friends have 360s is, as you say, anectotal. My anectode is the opposite: Almost everyone I know is a PS3 gamer, and several of them have now bought PS4s.

I checked the sales figures for 2012 (http://www.dataspelsbranschen.se/media/133771/nordisk_spelförsäljning_2012.pdf), and in Sweden it was pretty much a tie between the 360 and ps3. In the other Scandinavian countries the PS3/360 ratio was 2:1 or higher.

So, imho, Sony could still do better in Sweden, and I really think they would if they kicked out Nordisk Film as a distributor (no, I really don't like them)

My mistake.

Classic American geography you've got there. Here's a couple of tips for you:
1) 80 million SHIPPED (which includes units on shelves and any replacements for RRODs/other issues)
2) Rest of the world != Europe. Asia, South America, Africa and Oceania aren't in fact located in Europe. And while some of those wouldn't have bought many, they do add up eventually.

bombshell

We already got their spin, "Xbone launch was the biggest console launch EVAR!*"

*in Xbox history.

;)

Ulumsk

I checked the sales figures for 2012 (http://www.dataspelsbranschen.se/media/133771/nordisk_spelförsäljning_2012.pdf), and in Sweden it was pretty much a tie between the 360 and ps3. In the other Scandinavian countries the PS3/360 ratio was 2:1 or higher.

So, imho, Sony could still do better in Sweden, and I really think they would if they kicked out Nordisk Film as a distributor (no, I really don't like them)

Nordisk Film and Bergsala are a liability as local distributers. The sooner Sony and Nintendo ditch them the better.

Abounder

Banned
Great news for Sony and the industry

But I won't lie I expected a million+ but that number came from my ass just like the NA ones

I think the console wars, even at the beginning, are going to be much closer than what we think despite Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot after the E3 fiasco and costing $100 more.

And RIP Wii U. How the mighty have fallen.

On a side note: Not only does Japan get their consoles late but the newer software/hardware seems to be struggling everywhere: Vita, Mario, Final Fantasy, Wii U, etc. What a crazy era we live in where Japan has become a second/third tier country

FiggyCal

Banned

They might come out and announce Black Friday numbers in NA, since according to most reports - it outdid the PS4. They could spin that to their benefit.

sephi22

A lot of people seem to be hoping or assuming that MS will just roll along as they have been and let Sony have a win.Going by the terrible E3 reveal, it's not impossible, but they've made a lot of changes leading up to launch, I'd be surprised if they weren't willing to make more if Sony start to take a big lead in the new year.

They can start with the free games on XBL if they want to compete with PSN, Gears of War? Are they serious?

Raist

Banned
The figure was off by a lot. See one of my above comments for the corrected number.

Yeah, just saw that. Still, you're completely forgetting about LA, Asia, MEA, Pacific regions.

NA 40M
UK 8M
Japan 1.6M

Let's round it up to 50M. That leaves 30 for the whole EMEA region (minus the UK), Latin America, the rest of Asia, AU/NZ, India.
I wouldn't expect the 360 to be anywhere close to 20M in EU (including the UK), from various figures (e.g 13.7M in 2011).

So the UK represents a big share of the whole EU territory. Likely around 50% (for the 360).

Beyond actually building a very impressive box Sony's biggest win has been in its marketing. Let's be honest, there's nothing on the either box that makes it a must own yet. The difference is that Sony has somehow made the ps4 a really nice and durable hype bubble that Major Nelson and Co can only dream about. Their marketing has been beyond the traditional channels and includes Twitter, forums, favorable media and a lot of viral stuff that's nearly been Apple like in its execution. In contrast Microsoft appears to have thrown money at the very same sub par TV and Web ads that they thought would make the Surface an iPad killer. Sony have run a cutting edge marketing effort while Microsoft have run something more suited to 2003. Beyond adding value to the Xbox One, Microsoft really need to start getting their message across better.

Top Bottom