• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcing the XOne stereo headset adapter - FINALLY

Ubersnug

Update from Albert Penello due to Microsoft's PR depr derping bad with this

Albert Penello said:
Looks like there is some confusion around this so let me try again.

ANY headset will plug into the adapter and work. There is no proprietary connector.

If you have a stereo headset, you get stereo game audio

If you have a chat headset, you get game chat.

If you want to have Game/Chat mixed through the controller, you need one of the new headsets.

The part I didn't clarify (because I had gaming devices on my mind) is that if you have a headset that mixes chat/audio today (like a phone headset), they will also work. We don't block those.

Things get more confusing when you talk about all the legacy headsets in the market for Xbox 360. But just talking about the adapter, it works exactly as you would expect.

Maybe I should have marketing do a grid.

Edit: I talked with Larry and he's also updated is post. http://majornelson.com/2014/02/11/xb...apter-details/

http://majornelson.com/2014/02/11/xbox-one-stereo-headset-and-headset-adapter-details/

12450469083_0bb71d5b60.jpg

12450818974_f69b28ed84.jpg

First up, the all-new Xbox One Stereo Headset. The Stereo Headset pairs a premium, full-range (20Hz – 20kHz) audio experience with a unidirectional microphone taking advantage of Xbox One’s Skype-powered chat audio codec. Included in the package is a detachable Stereo Headset Adapter that puts all of the audio controls right at your fingertips. You can balance the game and chat audio levels, control the master volume, and mute the microphone.

The Xbox One Stereo Headset does not use separate batteries and is passively powered through the Wireless Controller. Additionally, headset is compatible with mobile devices, tablets and PC/Mac.

The Xbox One Stereo Headset will cost $79.99 (MSRP).

For Xbox fans that already have a favorite set of stereo gaming headphones, we’re happy to reveal that the Stereo Headset Adapter will also ship separately. Plug your compatible headset into the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter to chat with your fellow players, and enjoy the convenient volume controls right on the adapter. For more details on the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter, please visit xbox.com/xboxone/compatibleheadsets.

The Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter will cost $24.99 (MSRP.)

theytookourjobz

Does the adapter make the XB1 controller like the PS4 controller in outputting audio from the controller? I would freaking love that.

Yep. Between this and the Play & Charge kit it only costs $110 to get the equivalent features of a standard DS4.

You're not as clever as you think you are. No one has to buy the play and charge kit. I've got eneloop batteries I can put in the controller, and recharge them anytime I want, and they cost a few bucks. Also, the play & charge kit includes the controller. Again, nice try with your funny math.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This was the plan from the beginning. This was how the new turtle beaches and polk were going to work. We were just waiting on the adapter.

How could it have been their plan from the beginning if they didn't build the controller with a simple 3.5mm jack on there? Why the need for the adapter in the first place?

JaggedSac

Does the adapter make the XB1 controller like the PS4 controller in outputting audio from the controller? I would freaking love that.

Yes, I believe so. I don't know much about this stuff, but on the Polk forums, a Polk tech person mentioned that MS made a change from the 360 where the Bone changes a surround sound(5.1, 7.1, etc) signal into a faux surround signal for stereo headsets before sending it to the controller. The 360 did not do that so headsets had to be active and process the 5.1/7.1 signal themselves. This is a reason why some of the headsets, like the Polk 4-Shot are passive and can be powered by the controller. The adaptor allows for the seperate control of game audio and chat audio too I think.

CrystalStylez

Neo Member
How could it have been their plan from the beginning if they didn't build the controller with a simple 3.5mm jack on there? Why the need for the adapter in the first place?

Because the manual has been out for the polk headset for a while now. It does not hook anything up to the console for sound like prior headsets had too. The only headsets that will need to hook something up to the console are the older turtle beaches. Take a look at the new turtle beaches and polk headsets and you will see. Nice try though.....

Ubersnug

I was expecting something like £10.

£10? Your optimistic. Given we are paying £20 for a lithium battery and usb cable, £20 was the price I was expecting to pay for the adapter. Was looking forward to being surprised with something cheaper mind you...

coldfoot

Banned
So, to bring the X1 controller up to parity with PS4, you need:

$60 controller
$5 rechargable batteries (that you never take out)
$25 headset adapter
----
$90

Wireless and virtual 7.1.

I'd rather plug my headset into my controller, and not have to worry about charging it. Also, directional audio from stereo usually sounds better than virtual surround IMO.

$60 controller
$5 rechargable batteries (that you never take out)
$25 headset adapter
----
$90

and to bring a Dual Shock 4 to parity you need to redesign it, so it doesn't have awful battery life.

level44

$60 controller
$5 rechargable batteries
$25 headset adapter
----
$90

I was going to include no touchpad but then the xbone has vibrating triggers so maybe they cancel each other out.

So will this allow game and chat audio through the headset whilst it's only connected to the controller? Doesn't sound like it from the press release.. :-/

Bradf50

£10? Your optimistic. Given we are paying £20 for a lithium battery and usb cable, £20 was the price I was expecting to pay for the adapter. Was looking forward to being surprised with something cheaper mind you...

Maybe I am :p. I never bought, nor looked into the play & charge kit so I didn't really know it was £20 (I use rechargeable AA). I just didn't think it would be that much is all.

Guymelef

I'd rather plug my headset into my controller, and not have to worry about charging it. Also, directional audio from stereo usually sounds better than virtual surround IMO.
Good for you.
Options are a good thing.
Also you can use the Gold Wireless with 3.5mm cable and disable VSS.

SpartanN92

Banned
Fuck this headset... I want a wireless one.

I bought the Halo 4 Tritton Warheads. Best headphone I've ever bought (I like them more than my Astros)... The headset syncs directly to the 360, no cord going from headset to controller.... Why the fuck are they not making one for Xbone?

This is a real disappointment.

Ubersnug

So will this allow game and chat audio through the headset whilst it's only connected to the controller? Doesn't sound like it from the press release.. :-/

I thought controlling game and voice volume from the adapter was implied? Given that the new headset uses the same adapter you would use with any third party option. That's certainly how I read it...

Included in the package is a detachable Stereo Headset Adapter that puts all of the audio controls right at your fingertips. You can balance the game and chat audio levels, control the master volume, and mute the microphone.

For Xbox fans that already have a favorite set of stereo gaming headphones, we’re happy to reveal that the Stereo Headset Adapter will also ship separately. Plug your compatible headset into the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter to chat with your fellow players, and enjoy the convenient volume controls right on the adapter. For more details on the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter, please visit xbox.com/xboxone/compatibleheadsets.

Top Bottom