• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcing the XOne stereo headset adapter - FINALLY

Apparently not. It seems in-game audio doesn't work with the adaptor, although from the wording it might even be saying In-Game chat isn't available on any wireless headset? Not sure on that last point.

Thanks.

that's pretty shitty if it doesn't though. Was hoping for a PS4 type situation where you can plug in any headset and get in-game audio.

JaggedSac

Really? Then I don't see the point either XD

I though MS justified the new adapter by having enough bandwidth to do 5.1 surround...

They don't at this point in time, doesn't mean it isn't coming. Probably will come at the same time as them sending surround signals over the optical out.

And yes, game audio will be coming out of the adapter. Polk has already said as much. Otherwise, the 4-Shot is fucked because it has no other cables.

VanWinkle

I thought that ever since the Wii-U had one, it would be fucking standard by now. It's too good a feature just to not implement.

It's not a perfect implementation on the Wii U like it is with the DS4, though, since it doesn't universally send audio 100% of the time. Still, I was really thinking that this stereo headset adapter was sending game audio. I'm kind of astonished it doesn't.

molnizzle

How can you not hear game audio? Whats the point of the person icon and the controller icon on the adapters pad then? Maybe I'm a bit confused...

It seems that game audio is restricted to the official headset. If you use a different headset with the adapter, you'll have to plug into the back of the Xbone itself to get game audio (as well as the controller for chat).

It's right there in the press release:

For our fans that already have a set of stereo gaming headphones they can’t live without, we’re happy to reveal that the Stereo Headset Adapter will also ship separately worldwide in early March. Volume controls on the adapter let you adjust chat volume levels and mute your headset’s microphone without taking your hands off the controller. Simply plug the adapter into your controller and connect your compatible stereo headset to enable fantastic chat audio – thanks to integration with Skype’s audio codec. Add in-game audio by connecting your headset to the back of the Xbox One or to your TV.*

Guymelef

It seems that game audio is restricted to the official headset. If you use a different headset with the adapter, you'll have to plug into the back of the Xbone itself to get game audio (as well as the controller for chat).

I don't understand how this can be done, what kind of magic has the official headset inside to allow game audio???

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That is referring to any current headsets, new 3rd party ones will work with the adapter in the same way as MS's.

but isn't that the point of the adapter? To do whatever finagling is necessary to the incoming signal, and output it via a 3.5mm socket? The only point to having one would be to use existing headsets but you get chat only.

So you wait for this adapter so you can save money by using your current headset, then you have to wait for more 3rd party headsets which will cost you more money? Sounds silly.

molnizzle

That is referring to any current headsets, new 3rd party ones will work with the adapter in the same way as MS's.

So? Most of us already have a universal headset solution, I shouldn't have to buy new hardware for something so simple. MS is just trying to force more proprietary bullshit down our throats and make us buy all new shit. Both of their competitors support full plug-and-play with any headset.

It was assumed that this adapter would provide the same functionality. Fucking bullshit.

I don't understand how this can be done, what kind of magic has the official headset inside to allow game audio???

It's a restriction, pure and simple. There's no reason why this adapter couldn't output game audio to all headsets, MS is simply restricting it to officially licensed products. They want you to buy new shit.

That doesn't make much sense XD

Doesn't the official headset also use just a default jack that plugs in the adapter? Can they even recognize the device through that?

They don't at this point in time, doesn't mean it isn't coming. Probably will come at the same time as them sending surround signals over the optical out.

And yes, game audio will be coming out of the adapter. Polk has already said as much. Otherwise, the 4-Shot is fucked because it has no other cables.
I see. Thanks for clearing it up!

nakedeyes

Banned
You're not as clever as you think you are. No one has to buy the play and charge kit. I've got eneloop batteries I can put in the controller, and recharge them anytime I want, and they cost a few bucks. Also, the play & charge kit includes the controller. Again, nice try with your funny math.

Um. His math was right. Yours was off. Play and charge kit does not include the controller ( although they have been sold together ):

* XBONE controller : 60$
* play and charge : 25$
* headset adapter: 25$

I'll let you add that up.

that seems stupid to me

edit: could it be because they can't do 5.1/7.1 via the controller and they assume people will want to connect 5.1/7.1 headsets direct?

Akai__

I'm confused. Will this ensure, that the Astro A40 (or any other good headset) will work on the Xbox One? I mean, Xbox Live chat and game audio?

Sanjuro

The new Polk and Turtle Beach headsets retrieve audio from the adapter as well.

If you are buying the adapter, you're already likely using an optical source from an old Turtle Beach or ASTRO, so streaming audio from the controlleris irrelevant.

Fail to see the problem.

OP should update with the no in-game audio thing, and maybe a mod should change title to reflect this as well, if only to bring more attention to thread. Maybe we can get a proper clarification of how things will work (regarding that Polk headset) from someone at MS.

I'm confused. Will this ensure, that the Astro A40 (or any other good headset) will work on the Xbox One? I mean, Xbox Live chat and game audio?

No game audio.

Unless Dolby digital is added, your headphones will not work like they are supposed to, and u will have stereo sound.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The Polk and Turtle Beach headsets retrieve audio from the adapter as well.

If you are buying the adapter, you're already likely using an optical source from an old Turtle Beach or ASTRO, so streaming audio from the controlleris iirrelevant.

Fail to see the problem.

So your assumption is that everyone who buys this adapter already has a set of Turtle Beach or Astro's lying around?

Because that is completely ridiculous. There are thousands of superior headphone brands out there and everyone already has their own audio-gear at home.

Ubersnug

Well, if it is true, and it does seem to be, any EXISTING third party headsets have to be either connected to the XOne directly or into the TV to receive any in game audio. All this means is that my Turtlebeach X5's will work exactly how they do on my 360 just now. Chat cable into the controller and optical cable from the Xone to my X5's amplifier - so, no real impact to me really. If and when I do finally upgrade, the new headset will probably be compatible with the adapter for full audio and chat.

Still, I understand why alot of other people would be disappointed.

molnizzle

If you are buying the adapter, you're already likely using an optical source from an old Turtle Beach or ASTRO, so streaming audio from the controlleris irrelevant.

Fail to see the problem.

Or maybe you were planning on buying the adapter so you could use your Apple EarPods (or whatever) with your Xbone like you do with your PS4 and Wii U?

Derpcrawler

I really wish they will allow adapter work the same way as DS4 (stream everything through 3.5mm jack). That's best feature of PS4 for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
press release:

stereo headset -
You want to play Xbox One games while your family sleeps soundly just down the hall or your roommates study for their finals. That’s why we’re so excited to announce the Xbox One Stereo Headset, which will allow fans to immerse themselves in their games and play at whatever volume they’d like
The Xbox One Stereo Headset will ship with a detachable Stereo Headset Adapter that puts all of the audio controls right at your fingertips. You can balance the game and chat audio levels to hear just what you want, control the master volume, and mute the microphone each with the touch of a button.

stereo headset adapter -
For our fans that already have a set of stereo gaming headphones they can’t live without, we’re happy to reveal that the Stereo Headset Adapter will also ship separately worldwide in early March. Volume controls on the adapter let you adjust chat volume levels and mute your headset’s microphone without taking your hands off the controller. Simply plug the adapter into your controller and connect your compatible stereo headset to enable fantastic chat audio

edit: also
*For use with stereo headsets with 3.5mm audio jack, or Xbox 360 gaming headsets with 2.5mm chat cable. Game audio available in stereo headsets by connecting directly to Xbox One via optical cable or TV via RCA cables (cables not included)

sounds pretty clear that they are different things. The stereo headset lets you balance in game audio, and play games while granny is sleeping. The adapter gives you chat audio only.

it is confusing that they refer to the accessory as the stereo headset adapter and use language that clearly implies it is the same adapter that comes with the full stereo headset. And yet they offer different functionality..

SOLD.

press release:

stereo headset -

stereo headset adapter -

sounds pretty clear that they are different things. The stereo headset lets you balance in game audio, and play games while granny is sleeping. The adapter gives you chat audio only.

it is confusing that they refer to the accessory as the stereo headset adapter and use language that clearly implies it is the same adapter that comes with the full stereo headset. And yet they offer different functionality..

? They're not two different things. They perform the same functionality. That's why it specifically says "already have a set of stereo gaming headphones...."

Both are for pushing all the audio through a headset like the PS4 and its DS4. One is an all-in-one solution and the other is just the adapter.

Well, if it is true, and it does seem to be, any EXISTING third party headsets have to be either connected to the XOne directly or into the TV to receive any in game audio. All this means is that my Turtlebeach X5's will work exactly how they do on my 360 just now. Chat cable into the controller and optical cable from the Xone to my X5's amplifier - so, no real impact to me really. If and when I do finally upgrade, the new headset will probably be compatible with the adapter for full audio and chat.

Still, I understand why alot of other people would be disappointed.

Negative, unless dolby digital is added to the xbox one. Without dolby digital, most mixamps downsample to base stereo sound, which is not the case with the 360

Derpcrawler

press release:

stereo headset -

stereo headset adapter -

Yeah, that what confuses me. Description for adapter is different to the description of Headset. Will be disappointed if those are different adapters and cheap one without stereo headset doesn't allow all audio to go through controller.

Daffy Duck

So this finally gives me the ability to use my Astro's as a device to chat on, and it manages game chat audio volume?

I assume this connects to my Mixamp out of the traditional port the 360 used?

Yup. The only thing I'm still confused/hasn't been fully explained is how these 'future' compatible headsets will work.

JaggedSac

Here are some details from Polk.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/sho...ther-HEADSET&p=2007855&viewfull=1#post2007855

Here's Dan's reply:

"Hi Ken,

The audio signal received by the Xbox One controller is two channel only. ANY headset that plugs into the controller will have access to only L and R audio signals. The Xbox One simulates surround (surround to stereo processing) internally before being sending audio to the controller wirelessly. This will change once a multichannel wireless signal is available directly from the console, but Microsoft has not announced when or exactly how that will happen.

Best,

Dan"

Cheers, Ken

Hello,
Here's the reply:

"Ken,

If this is in reference to the 4Shot, I can offer the following. The headset itself will be able to handle multichannel digital sound, but only from a separate source device that receives wireless and provides a mix-down algorithm to two channels (or, the mix-down could occur prior to transmission, as is done now with the Xbox One Controller and PMD). The 4Shot is a passive headphone, so there are no electronics or firmware inside; however, that gives great flexibility because it can connect to anything having a 4-pole analog jack. If you want something that can receive the wireless, multichannel signal directly from the console, without any external receiver device, you’ll have to wait. No such products will exist until Microsoft releases the wireless protocol details.

Best,

Dan"

Cheers, Ken

statham

press release:

stereo headset -

stereo headset adapter -

maybe you can only adjust the chat audio volume but not ingame sound audio volume with the adapter?
either way, I'll probably get the official ones.

Sanjuro

Or maybe you were planning on buying the adapter so you could use your Apple EarPods (or whatever) with your Xbone like you do with your PS4 and Wii U?

So your assumption is that everyone who buys this adapter already has a set of Turtle Beach or Astro's lying around?

Because that is completely ridiculous. There are thousands of superior headphone brands out there and everyone already has their own audio-gear at home.

That's using the assumption they were planning on doing the same thing Sony has done, which they aren't.

You can still connect your headphones through other means.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's using the assumption they were planning on doing the same thing Sony has dine, which they aren't.

You can still connect your headphones through other means.

Yeah, apparently if i'd want to use my Sennheisers i'd still have to be wired from Xbox to the couch.

It just makes no sense to me as to why they wouldn't support regular 3.5mm audio output. Is it just so they can peddle their proprietary garbage or is there a hardware-reason why it cannot?

molnizzle

That's using the assumption they were planning on doing the same thing Sony has done, which they aren't.

That's the point. Thing is, What Sony (and Nintendo) did is a "no brainer" and the new standard. Everyone is going to assume that this adapter will provide the same functionality, because otherwise what the fuck is it for? Everyone thought that the entire reason for the adapter was to allow for plug-and-play with standard headsets. Because obviously that's what it would be for, right?

MS is gonna get some pretty huge backlash from this.

Sanjuro

Yeah, apparently if i'd want to use my Sennheisers i'd still have to be wired from Xbox to the couch.

It just makes no sense to me as to why they wouldn't support regular 3.5mm audio output. Is it just so they can peddle their proprietary garbage or is there a hardware-reason why it cannot?

That is correct. Keep them wired.

Microsoft has never stated the adapter would be for anything otherwise.

Guymelef

Fail to see the problem.

And people with expensive and good headphones???

CoG

I really wish they will allow adapter work the same way as DS4 (stream everything through 3.5mm jack). That's best feature of PS4 for me.

It really is. Sony really jips themselves out of opportunities to fleece their customers but I ain't complaining. Using my Apple earbuds to stream in-game audio is the best feature ever.

Sanjuro

That's the point. Thing is, What Sony (and Nintendo) did is a "no brainer" and the new standard. Everyone is going to assume that this adapter will provide the same functionality, because otherwise what the fuck is it for? Everyone thought that the entire reason for the adapter was to allow for plug-and-play with standard headsets. Because obviously that's what it would be for, right?

MS is gonna get some pretty huge backlash from this.

No they won't. People who have been waiting to use their old headsets will be happy.

People who created alternate visions in their heads may be disappointed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SOLD.

? They're not two different things. They perform the same functionality. That's why it specifically says "already have a set of stereo gaming headphones...."

Both are for pushing all the audio through a headset like the PS4 and its DS4. One is an all-in-one solution and the other is just the adapter.

did you read the quotes from the press release? I highlighted the parts where the descriptions are *clearly* different. The headset talks about balancing chat:game audio, and playing games without disturbing your family. The adapter section talks only about chat audio and adjusting chat volume.

Top Bottom