• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcing the XOne stereo headset adapter - FINALLY

monome

Fuck this headset... I want a wireless one.

I bought the Halo 4 Tritton Warheads. Best headphone I've ever bought (I like them more than my Astros)... The headset syncs directly to the 360, no cord going from headset to controller.... Why the fuck are they not making one for Xbone?

This is a real disappointment.

no batteries and wired to the controller...it's okay, really.

Now we just need a third party adaptor to use the DualShock 4 on the Xbone.

I'll probably end up buying the adapter when I get an Xbone later this year after the first price drop. Hopefully any 3.5mm headset with built in mic works, including the Pulse Elites.

VanWinkle

So, to bring the X1 controller up to parity with PS4, you need:

$60 controller
$5 rechargable batteries (that you never take out)
$25 headset adapter
----
$90

How are you going to recharge those batteries? The XB1 controller doesn't act as a battery charger when it's plugged in, does it? Or am I wrong there?

I'd rather plug my headset into my controller, and not have to worry about charging it. Also, directional audio from stereo usually sounds better than virtual surround IMO.

and to bring a Dual Shock 4 to parity you need to redesign it, so it doesn't have awful battery life.

Doesn't matter. They're rechargeable. You can recharge the DS4 every night and never have to worry about the battery life.

So, to bring the X1 controller up to parity with PS4, you need:

$60 controller
$5 rechargable batteries (that you never take out)
$25 headset adapter
----
$90

Any special reason why you included the cost of a controller in there?

Also note the Xbox One controller is currently $50 on Amazon.com, DS4 $60 - so the price difference is $20 overall. edit: You need to buy a battery charger too, so that puts the XBox price up in your comparison (although most homes nowdays probably have rechargeable AAs around for loads of reasons, no need for a special purchase).

I don't have a DS4 - does it let you control voice/game audio levels separately, using hardware controls on the DS4, as it appears you can with that Xbox adapter? i.e. are you comparing like-for-like functionality in that price breakdown?

I wonder what those new buttons do.
How could it have been their plan from the beginning if they didn't build the controller with a simple 3.5mm jack on there? Why the need for the adapter in the first place?
Because the new plug can pass 5.1 surround sound, which an audio jack can't.

It most likely their plan from the beginning because the 360 had a default headset jack

Occam

What's a Xone?

EDIT: Never mind, found it.

allen-heath-xone-dx.jpg

VanWinkle

Any special reason why you included the cost of a controller in there?

Also note the Xbox One controller is currently $50 on Amazon.com, DS4 $60 - so the price difference is $20 overall.

I don't have a DS4 - does it let you control voice/game audio levels separately, using hardware controls on the DS4, as it appears you can with that Xbox adapter? i.e. are you comparing like-for-like functionality in that price breakdown?

I think its fair to compare MSRP, not Amazon's current price for the XB1 controller. For audio levels, it doesn't include them at a hardware level, although some headsets like the official Sony ones have hardware buttons for chat and audio, but all you have to do is hold the PS button down for a second and you can adjust the device's volumes.

I mean, honestly, it's basically impossible to deny that the DS4 is a way better value for the price.

Spades

UK prices confirmed:

The Xbox One Stereo Headset will retail for £59.99 MSRP and the Stereo Headset Adapter will be available for £19.99 MSRP.

No in-game audio if using the adaptor on a third party headset, it seems?

To go with the new chat functionality, Microsoft is also announcing its own headset accessory for the Xbox One. The microphone-equipped stereo headset will go on sale early this month for $79.99, bundled with an adapter that plugs into the controller and has buttons for functions like mute and volume. If you want to use a different gaming headset to chat, you'll be able to buy the adapter separately for $24.99 and use the 3.5mm and 2.5mm jacks; this won't work with in-game audio, though, so you'd have to connect the headset to your console or TV.

via The Verge

molnizzle

Does Xbone support USB chat? I have a wireless headset that plugs into PS4/PS3 via USB... I really don't like having to be tethered to the controller.

Good headphones are double that.

My Sennheiser headphones were 80 bucks on sale. Better than any MS or Sony made headphones. Doesn't have a mic, but the sound quality is unparalleled.

Anyway, good to see this come out regardless. Is that a 3.5 jack in the bottom? Or just an attached cord? It would be nice to be able to use our own hardware.

EDIT: Looks like it's a 3.5 jack since they say it is compatible with other headsets. That's good.

EDIT 2:
No in-game audio if using the adaptor on a third party headset, it seems?

via The Verge
Give me a fucking break. Good lord, Microsoft.

I think its fair to compare MSRP, not Amazon's current price for the XB1 controller. For audio levels, it doesn't include them at a hardware level, although some headsets like the official Sony ones have hardware buttons for chat and audio, but all you have to do is hold the PS button down for a second and you can adjust the device's volumes.

OK that (button press) is quite cool. But since coldfoot is keen to measure "equivalence" he should throw the official headset into the mix with those buttons on. (Nb I have no idea what those prices are, I should get back to work rather than look it up ;))

Ubersnug

Does Xbone support USB chat? I have a wireless headset that plugs into PS4/PS3 via USB... I really don't like having to be tethered to the controller.

But you would prefer to be tethered to the console instead? Surely that would be more restrictive?

Nah. Probably The Verge being bad at their jobs.

Kotaku says the same thing, so this actually looks like MS being bad at their jobs :/

At the same time, Microsoft is also releasing a $25 stereo headset adapter that will work with regular stereo headsets with a standard 3.5mm audio jack or Xbox 360 headsets with a 2.5mm audio jack. In either case, the adapter plugs into the controller to enable chat audio. It does not appear to support hearing game audio, which is only possible through stereo headsets if the headset is plugged into the Xbox One console via an optical cable or if the user is plugging their headset into a separate device, such as a TV or receiver.

EDIT; although this wording makes it seem it wouldn't work at all, even with the MS headset.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
Nah. Probably The Verge being bad at their jobs.

*For use with stereo headsets with 3.5mm audio jack, or Xbox 360 gaming headsets with 2.5mm chat cable. Game audio available in stereo headsets by connecting directly to Xbox One via optical cable or TV via RCA cables (cables not included). Additional requirements may apply for full functionality, see xbox.com/xboxone/compatibleheadsets. Voice chat requires Xbox Live; in-game requires Xbox Live Gold (sold separately).

Bottom of the page :/ : http://news.xbox.com/2014/02/xbox-one-headset

Hoo-doo

Banned
Kotaku says the same thing, so this actually looks like MS being bad at their jobs :/

EDIT; although this wording makes it seem it wouldn't work at all, even with the MS headset.

Haha oh wow. So you can't even use it for game audio?

Nah, still can't believe this until some gaffers try for themselves. Microsoft is not that silly.

*For use with stereo headsets with 3.5mm audio jack, or Xbox 360 gaming headsets with 2.5mm chat cable. Game audio available in stereo headsets by connecting directly to Xbox One via optical cable or TV via RCA cables (cables not included). Additional requirements may apply for full functionality, see xbox.com/xboxone/compatibleheadsets. Voice chat requires Xbox Live; in-game requires Xbox Live Gold (sold separately).

Bottom of the page :/ : http://news.xbox.com/2014/02/xbox-one-headset

wat.

If the audio quality is good, $25 is a ... strangely low price IMO. Usually Ithink of $25 headphones as crapgadget... But who knows, might be good.

I just picked up an X1 last weekend and I was really, really surprised at the audio quality. I did a short narration over an Assassins Creed video, just to test, and I was shocked how good it was.

VanWinkle

OK that (button press) is quite cool. But since coldfoot is keen to measure "equivalence" he should throw the official headset into the mix with those buttons on. (Nb I have no idea what those prices are, I should get back to work rather than look it up ;))

I think he was fair. It can't be perfect equality. You can't account for the missing touchpad and speaker on the XB1, or the missing rumble triggers on the DS4. Although he should have included a way to charge those $5 batteries (unless you can charge rechargeable AA batteries from the controller being plugged in?).

But you would prefer to be tethered to the console instead? Surely that would be more restrictive?

Well I think he's referring to wireless with a USB dongle.

JaggedSac

I wonder what those new buttons do.

Because the new plug can pass 5.1 surround sound, which an audio jack can't.

It most likely their plan from the beginning because the 360 had a default headset jack

Nah, the signal that the Bone currently sends wirelessly is stereo. It does the down mixing from surround before sending to the controller. It is sending a virtual surround signal though, so every headset plugged in will get that, not just ones that manufacturers implement the algorithms.

If the audio quality is good, $25 is a ... strangely low price IMO. Usually Ithink of $25 headphones as crapgadget... But who knows, might be good.

I just picked up an X1 last weekend and I was really, really surprised at the audio quality. I did a short narration over an Assassins Creed video, just to test, and I was shocked how good it was.

$25 for the adaptor, not the headphones.

This might be a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway. Would I be able to plug my apple earphones into the adapter and get in-game audio?

Nah, the signal that the Bone currently sends wirelessly is stereo. It does the down mixing from surround before sending to the controller. It is sending a virtual surround signal though, so every headset plugged in will get that, not just ones that manufacturers implement the algorithms.

Really? Then I don't see the point either XD

I though MS justified the new adapter by having enough bandwidth to do 5.1 surround...

This might be a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway. Would I be able to plug my apple earphones into the adapter and get in-game audio?

Apparently not. It seems in-game audio doesn't work with the adaptor, although from the wording it might even be saying In-Game chat isn't available on any wireless headset? Not sure on that last point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Haha oh wow. So you can't even use it for game audio?

Nah, still can't believe this until some gaffers try for themselves. Microsoft is not that silly.

wat.

well wouldn't that be in line with the 360? Headset limited to chat audio only via the controller.

Its just that Sony added full game audio which was unusual so Xbox looks worse in comparison.

It does seem odd to sell a large pair of headphones that are only for chat audio though and would presumably block out some game audio due to their size.

edit: This
You can balance the game and chat audio levels, control the master volume, and mute the microphone.
makes it sound like it does send game audio. Unless that just turns the chat volume up/down?

Hoo-doo

Banned
well wouldn't that be in line with the 360? Headset limited to chat audio only via the controller.

Its just that Sony added full game audio which was unusual so Xbox looks worse in comparison.

It does seem odd to sell a large pair of headphones that are only for chat audio though and would presumably block out some game audio due to their size.

I thought that ever since the Wii-U had one, it would be fucking standard by now. It's too good a feature just to not implement.

molnizzle

I thought that ever since the Wii-U had one, it would be fucking standard by now. It's too good a feature just to not implement.

Exactly. Nintendo did it, then Sony. MS stalls around for an adapter... and then releases one that doesn't do it? WTF?

How can you not hear game audio? Whats the point of the person icon and the controller icon on the adapters pad then? Maybe I'm a bit confused...

Top Bottom