• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

APNewsBreak: Source says Flynn to invoke 5th Amendment

Tovarisc

Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn will invoke his 5th Amendment protection against self-incrimination as he notifies a Senate panel that he won't hand over documents in the probe into Russia's meddling in the 2016 election, according to a person with direct knowledge of the matter.

The notification will come in a letter to the Senate Intelligence committee expected later Monday. The person providing details spoke on condition anonymity in order to discuss private interactions between Flynn and the committee.

Flynn's decision comes less than two weeks after the committee issued a subpoena for Flynn's personal documents.

Legal experts have said Flynn was unlikely to turn over the personal documents without immunity because he would be waiving some of his constitutional protections by doing so. Flynn has previously sought immunity from ”unfair prosecution" to cooperate with the committee.

Source: https://www.apnews.com/9ede3ab68f73...ak:-Source-says-Flynn-to-invoke-5th-Amendment

Edit:

Given news that Flynn will invoke his right against self incrimination, here's @Susan_Hennessey and me on immunity:
DAb__m0XcAEFyFI.jpg
DAb__m9XkAYYZ_7.jpg
https://twitter.com/HKMurillo/status/866661452089872384

Edit:

Senate received letter: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=237690450&postcount=80

I would think this means Flynn hasn't been and won't be talking. That tells me that either the FBI has enough that it doesn't matter what he actually says or Trump has been talking to him assuring him that he'll be fine.

The government rejecting his immunity request hopefully tells me that they have more than enough on him and others where his testimony isn't critical.

Zolo

That tells me that either the FBI has enough that it doesn't matter what he actually says or Trump has been talking to him assuring him that he'll be fine.

Think both of these have been confirmed with recordings of Flynn talking with Russia and Trump telling him to stay strong.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
poor guy is treated so badly from the media :(
All this wouldn't have happened if nothing was leaked. Damn you leakers

Flynn is a good man and we should all be saddened that Trump had to reluctantly ask him to retire from his post in a non fired sort of way.

Pleading the fifth is a noble decision as to ensure no more leaks of classified information possibly emerge.

Flynn is still protecting Americans, in spite of our lack of respect.

Zolo

Yep I guaran-damn-tee there are about 50 tweets from Trump and his band of idiots saying 5th = guilty. Let's roll 'em out friends!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/election/article105179136.html

“So there are five of them taking the Fifth Amendment, like you see on the mob, right?” he said at another rally in Iowa, though it was three former Clinton staff members who pleaded the Fifth. “The mob takes the Fifth Amendment. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”

That’s exactly the question Donald Trump was asked 26 years ago, in 1990 when he was in the midst of divorcing Marla Maples, according to the Huffington Post. During the divorce proceedings, which included five depositions, Trump pleaded the Fifth 97 times on approximately 100 questions related to marriage infidelity.

Briarios

If they give him immunity, the 5th doesn't apply and they can hold him in contempt and jail him anyway-- at least a court can do that.

Lo-Volt

If they give him immunity, the 5th doesn't apply and they can hold him in contempt and jail him anyway-- at least a court can do that.

His request for immunity earlier this year was declined already. And with a special investigation zeroing in on him, I suspect an indictment is the next step. Flynn's going the hard way.

Top Bottom