• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

APNewsBreak: Source says Flynn to invoke 5th Amendment

Surfinn

According to CNN, the Senate intel committee is saying congressional contempt is on the table. Does that mean he could be arrested for refusing to comply?

blackflag

2MePyWB.png

Sean needs to be asked that question in his own exact words at the next press briefing.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
They may have some convoluted plan to pin it all on Flynn and have Trump claim ignorance.

I figure that's exactly the plan but good luck. Dumb Donnie can't help but stick his foot in his anus-like mouth. Hell, I could even see him staying on script through the whole testimony, everybody getting up to walk out, and then the impulse to throw out his own two cents kicks in and he says "I just want to state, for the record, that the press got it all wrong. It was all my idea and Flynn was just my puppet. That's how smart I am. The smartest."

I don't know when or how, but Flynn can't just invoke the 5th and slink away into obscurity and let this whole thing blow over. The sooner contempt, or whatever means are necessary, is implemented, the sooner we can not only get to the bottom of the Russia thing but also the sooner we begin to hold Flynn accountable.

It's sickening that Flynn is being labeled by some (not really on GAF, thankfully) as a decent guy who lied about some stuff because it would be bad PR and not the probably treasonous bastard that he really it. Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt, he took money from a foreign entity whose ideals and interests don't align with the United States and lobbied for the country while on the campaign for Trump, told the Russians Trump would ease sanctions and be favorable to them, and delayed an action attacking ISIL that the Turkish government didn't like. So even if you give him the benefit of the doubt I think he's a scumbag.

Flynn must be held accountable. And I believe he will be. So why not just get it over with?

Joe

Was Reagan being investigated for a cover-up or obstruction of those scandals?

Yes, during the Iran-Contra controversy. I'm not sure about the others - wouldn't be surprised if he was though.

All I'm saying is that prosecution or impeachment will be incredibly difficult.

I do think it's within the realm of realistic possibility but I also realize that without overwhelmingly significant evidence of a crime then it will require a political mechanism.

This is true but at the same time Reagan was surrounded by diehard loyalists, had the unwavering support of the republican establishment, was popular, and was not at war with the IC. Does anyone want to go to jail for Donald Trump? IF Trump is guilty of anything Russia related, I believe he'll go down.

TBH though I'm starting to think if anything happens it'll be obstruction of justice.

Thaedolus

Yes, during the Iran-Contra controversy. I'm not sure about the others - wouldn't be surprised if he was though.

All I'm saying is that prosecution or impeachment will be incredibly difficult.

I do think it's within the realm of realistic possibility but I also realize that without overwhelmingly significant evidence of a crime then it will require a political mechanism.

Was Reagan publicly confirming he did all these things?

Hex

Banned
If they give him immunity he can't plead the 5th because he can't incriminate himself.
BUT, that is only good if there is a bigger fish and you also run the risk of them trying to take the full hit once they have the immunity.

Blader

Reagan was very well liked. Trump is historically unpopular.

Trump could actually do a lot to take the heat off simply by going on tv, giving a direct and measured address right into the camera, insisting he did nothing wrong but takes responsibility, as president, for what his campaign aides may have did or did not do, and wants a fair and independent investigation to clear the air. If he gave a speech like that, you'd see a significant bump in his approvals.

Fortunately, Trump's personality precludes him from ever being able to think or speak like that.

Reagan was very well liked. Trump is historically unpopular.

Trump could actually do a lot to take the heat off simply by going on tv, giving a direct and measured address right into the camera, insisting he did nothing wrong but takes responsibility, as president, for what his campaign aides may have did or did not do, and wants a fair and independent investigation to clear the air. If he gave a speech like that, you'd see a significant bump in his approvals.

Fortunately, Trump's personality precludes him from ever being able to think or speak like that.

If he did that like 3+ months ago maybe it would've worked.

Interesting. This is just speculation, but this could point to the idea that the FBI is only allowing Flynn to divulge certain documents because they've turned him.

That would be interesting. Not sure how only releasing some of these doc quiets the shitshow otherwise. At face value, whatever docs he refusing to turn in become priory #1.

Mully

That would be interesting. Not sure how only releasing some of these doc quiets the shitshow otherwise. At face value, whatever docs he refusing to turn in become priory #1.

The NY Times did a story about the briefings members of the Senate Intel Committee Investigation on Russian Election Meddling get from the CIA and FBI on their podcast, The Daily, today. Basically the CIA has reluctantly allowed senators to come to Langley and pour over thousands of pieces of raw intel. This is far from normal according to the Times reporter.

Along with the raw intel briefings that the CIA are giving to the committee (according to Senator Collins, she's received three of these), the FBI are working closely with the Senate to make sure that the committee does not divulge certain information vital to the FBI investigation in public hearings.

What I'm speculating is that the FBI have certain documents from Flynn that they are not allowing the Senate to talk about in a public hearing and are advising Flynn to GLOMAR and plead the 5th as much as possible due to his possible turn as either a willing or unwilling witness.

Blader

If he did that like 3+ months ago maybe it would've worked.
Trump actually struck an unusually magnanimous tone in his victory speech on election night, and if he had kept that tone throughout the transition and into the inauguration and first weeks of his presidency, this would be a completely different story.

Top Bottom