• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Majine

Banned
I noticed after a period of time of no use (usually over night), my digital crown gets "stuck", and you have to "crank it up" so it can move smoothly again.

What do I do here? Can submerging it in water solve it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
In the UK currys are discounting he Apple Watch at the moment. £50 off the standard sport models, and £120 off the stainless steel.

aparisi2274

Does anyone use any watch app regularly? The only one I use is workout...

I use iMessage, and I use MLB and Citymapper.

MLB is great for glances, so I can get news on the Mets and Citymapper is great because the glance shows me all the subway lines with disruptions, and then I can just click on it and it takes me to the app and I can see in detail what is disrupted and which stations are affected.

Pixels

I use iMessage, and I use MLB and Citymapper.

MLB is great for glances, so I can get news on the Mets and Citymapper is great because the glance shows me all the subway lines with disruptions, and then I can just click on it and it takes me to the app and I can see in detail what is disrupted and which stations are affected.

Wow those sound incredibly useful.

Trying to come up with something fun to make...

I actually just got one but not sure if I'm keeping it (not used to having things on my wrist)

After the initial set up of apps, I've pared it down to the essentials, I use mainly for Activity, Notifications from Messenger/Hangouts/Messages and Airmail. Plus TheScore for sports stuff. Beyond essentials, it can get bloated.

aparisi2274

Anyone happen to be using this watch band from JETech?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0168W83P2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

714nDPEaxIL._SY355_.jpg

I was trying to see how it would look on a 42mm Sport Aluminum watch, but I can not find a photo...

I've stopped wearing mine. It's been so nice to go back to a normal watch, to be honest.
All I really want is for the watch face to be a lot smarter. I don't want apps or anything like that - it's all way more fiddly and slow than just getting information from my phone. I want the face to show information and actions that are relevant to the time of day, my location, weather etc.
Just arrived home? Stick a big button on the screen to let me turn my Hue lights on. Once they're on, go back to the normal face.
7.30am and I'm at home? Show me the next trains to work. Once I'm on the train, stop showing it. And vice verse when it's time to leave work.
I want the watch face to work for me with the least amount of interaction with a tiny screen as possible needed.

tmdorsey

I've stopped wearing mine. It's been so nice to go back to a normal watch, to be honest.
All I really want is for the watch face to be a lot smarter. I don't want apps or anything like that - it's all way more fiddly and slow than just getting information from my phone. I want the face to show information and actions that are relevant to the time of day, my location, weather etc.
Just arrived home? Stick a big button on the screen to let me turn my Hue lights on. Once they're on, go back to the normal face.
7.30am and I'm at home? Show me the next trains to work. Once I'm on the train, stop showing it. And vice verse when it's time to leave work.
I want the watch face to work for me with the least amount of interaction with a tiny screen as possible needed.

I like it fine just as a watch in most cases. I also wouldn't like apps to just intrude on my watch face that way. I like your ideas if they are just quick notifications.

aparisi2274

I like your ideas, but I do not mind using the glances to see what subway lines are disrupted when I leave for work, or what the Mets are doing via the MLB app.

Just got some third party watch bands in, all from JETech

Faux-Milanese Loop:

Magnet is really strong. It's super comfortable, feels almost like the legit one. Easily worth $25, it's awesome

Faux-Leather Loop:

Honestly not into this one at all. Magnet is strong, which is nice, but the material feels all wrong, nothing like Apple's. It also goes really high up the band for my wrist size, a downfall of them not having S/M/L options. Will probably end up returning it, not worth the $40 in my opinion

Faux-Link Bracelet:

I like this one a lot as well. Needs a tool to resize unlike Apple's, and it came out of the box with a very metallic smell, but I think that will fade. Might end up exchanging it since the butterfly clasp is a tad loose on one side, gotta decide if it bugs me enough or if it gets worse over the next couple weeks. A great price at $75, especially compared to Apple's asking price of $450

Links to all three:

Milanese: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011CR8RZ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Leather Loop: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014T0UQNC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Link Bracelet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0168W83PW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

P.S. Sorry for the large image sizes, I thought the quotes would shrink them down more

This requires a lot more machine learning and internet of things stuff than the device isn't currently capable of.

Speaking as a developer who is working on Apple Watch Apps, the hardware isn't there to do stuff like this, and the APIs don't support it yet either (probably because the hardware would poop itself).

Red

Couldn't contextual actions be pulled from the phone? The watch doesn't need to decide those things itself. iPhones already predict user behavior... They would just need to send that info to the watch.

japtor

Couldn't contextual actions be pulled from the phone? The watch doesn't need to decide those things itself. iPhones already predict user behavior... They would just need to send that info to the watch.
Yeah something akin to the little dynamic/contextual lower left quick icon on iPhones would be cool, whether it be some special complication or notification or glance or something.

Blackhead

Redarse
Yeah, not sure what the new Apple Watch hardware would add aside from much needed improved performance. Android wear + Google Now (+Tasker/IFTTT) already does most of this

Yup, exactly how I expect something like that would be implemented.

I bought the JETech Faux Milanese Loop as well.

It's been great for the couple of weeks I have had it. Looks like the real thing.

I bought the JETech Faux Milanese Loop as well.

It's been great for the couple of weeks I have had it. Looks like the real thing.

I also received the JETech Milanese Loop a few weeks back, and have been super pleased with it. The black loop looks really good with the space grey sport model.

jts

...hate me...
With the watch heading on for its second year on the market, the greatest new feature Apple could announce for it now would be a... price drop.

With the watch heading on for its second year on the market, the greatest new feature Apple could announce for it now would be a... price drop.

The only time Apple itself will drop the price is when Gen2 comes out, if they don't discontinue the first gen entirely. Other retailers have already knocked $100 off, though

Blackhead

Redarse
The only time Apple itself will drop the price is when Gen2 comes out, if they don't discontinue the first gen entirely. Other retailers have already knocked $100 off, though

yep lots of retailers seem to have a promo every other week.

Apple discontinued the iPhone 1 and the iPad 1 once the next gen was released. I expect the same for the iWatch 1 as well, more so because as a fashion device it would be obsolete

jts

...hate me...
The only references I have in "recent" memory of Apple doing so was the infamous iPhone 1 price drop and more recently the elder AppleTV 3 dropping the price.

The Watch being in a whole new unproven market with retailers dropping the price as a sign of it not matching the actual demand for the device, it wouldn't be shocking for me if Apple themselves readjusted it to kick some energy into sales. Especially at a time where more people are aware that 1 year old tech means it's due for an update. I could be simply daydreaming though.

mrkgoo

The Apple Watch dock from Apple is so good - what makes it beat others is that it isn't a workaround stand where you feed your magnetic charge cable through some channel. The dock is powered by lightning cable and has its own magnetic puck.

Man it's pricey though.

aparisi2274

I would have gotten that one, but I also got the HiRise for iPhone and wanted them to match

I would have gotten that Belkin double dock if it wasn't so goddman expensive

http://m.belkin.com/us/F8J183-APL/p/P-F8J183-APL/

Every time I go to get the Forte, I can't pull the trigger, because I do not want to have to take my watch off and then fit it to the stand and redo the clasp on the band... As it stands right now, I just take it off and lay it on my night table, right over the charge cable from Apple.

mrkgoo

I absolutely love my watch. Just a few things I'd like to see in the default app-space:

Find my friends integration.
Reminders.
And to be able to view the battery left on my phone.

Shearie

I absolutely love my watch. Just a few things I'd like to see in the default app-space:

Find my friends integration.
Reminders.
And to be able to view the battery left on my phone.

Even though I was the one complaining about how DND works on the watch in this thread (still don't like it), I recently got a space gray watch when it went on sale at Target and overall I think it's great too. I would like a Reminders and a Notes watch app even though once they add Notes to it the University I go to will probably start making me take my watch off while taking tests.

I actually use third party apps too and don't think they're that slow enough to be bad, although I would still like them to retrieve info faster of course. The most useful app being Wunderlist where it's great having a shopping list on your wrist and always having 2 hands free to pick up items.

Top Bottom