• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes May 12th

Javin98

Banned
Exactly. Always keep in mind that every single pre-order, no matter how soon it is made, will be counted on the release date.
Yep, but somehow he chooses to ignore the fact that the demand for the limited edition bundle and the popularity of the Arkham series will significantly boost the sales of the PS4 in June.

Edited to avoid confusion.

Javin98

Banned
Came back from the future?
Well, technically, I never stated the sales of the PS4 will be good as a fact. The facts I stated were the demand for the limited bundle and the popularity of the Arkham series, which cannot be denied, especially the latter.

I edited my post just to make myself clearer.

Bgamer90

Banned
Well, technically, I never stated the sales of the PS4 will be good as a fact. The facts I stated were the demand for the limited bundle and the popularity of the Arkham series, which cannot be denied, especially the latter.

Yeah, I assumed it was a mistake. I was mainly playing around. It's definitely possible for the PS4 to be over 350K in June. Simply depends on how many Batman PS4s will be available as I'm positive that they will make up the majority of PS4 sales that month.

Javin98

Banned
Yeah, I assumed it was a mistake. I was mainly playing around. It's definitely possible for the PS4 to be over 350K in June. Simply depends on how many Batman PS4s will be available as I'm positive that they will make up the majority of PS4 sales that month.
Ah, I see. Thanks, edited my post to avoid any further confusion. Anyway, if Sony really want to maximize PS4 sales in June, it would be wise to have an excess stock of the standard Arkham Knight bundle. It's better to overship than to undership if you ask me.

It doesn't even have to in order for the PS4 to have a great month; the special edition is 450USD, but the regular Black will still come with a copy of Batman for 400USD. It should be a pretty attractive offer either way^^

Ah, I see. Thanks, edited my post to avoid any further confusion. Anyway, if Sony really want to maximize PS4 sales in June, it would be wise to have an excess stock of the standard Arkham Knight bundle. It's better to overship than to undership if you ask me.

My guess (especially at only 400USD) the basic Batman bundle becomes the new Last of Us Sku until November. Batman plus Metal Gear will look mighty sexy come September^^ Plus it adds value for July and August which look to be relatively rough release wise

Javin98

Banned
My guess (especially at only 400USD) the basic Batman bundle becomes the new Last of Us Sku until November. Batman plus Metal Gear will look mighty sexy come September^^ Plus it adds value for July and August which look to be relatively rough release wise
Yep, they should definitely do this until September. The Batman Arkham Knight bundle will likely move a lot of PS4's during the dry season.

We do not have enough concrete evidence to say that the bundle will sell "very strong" as you put it. Then you have the fact that a series that has sold historically more on the opther brand, will also get the game, I can't see such large numbers even though the gap will probably be decent.

Came back from the future?

I think he's too into the Batman sales, It doesn't add up imo.

We do not have enough concrete evidence to say that the bundle will sell "very strong" as you put it. Then you have the fact that a series that has sold historically more on the opther brand, will also get the game, I can't see such large numbers even though the gap will probably be decent.

The fact that retail-GAF has said that Batman preorders sold out humorously fast doesn't say the bundle will sell "very strong"?

To me the question isn't whether the demand will be there, it's whether the supply will be.

Javin98

Banned

LOL, here you go again. You don't see the difference this time around? Last gen, the 360 had a larger install base than the PS3 when the Batman Arkham games released. This gen, it is reversed, though not to the extent. And on the contrary, I just pointed out that pre orders are very strong for the limited edition bundle but you chose to ignore it. So I guess you can ignore Abdiel because your assumptions are facts, right? And what exactly are you accusing me of here? Too into Batman sales? Dafuq does that even mean? But go ahead, keep this up and we'll see your tag change.

Anyway I am done with this conversation, there's clearly a slant here on one side of this conversation and I don't get into those.

batman_over.gif

I'm sorry. I know we've moved past this, but that GIF was just too perfect not to post.

And all this talk about Arkham Knight makes me want to play Arkham Knight. I need to stop reading these threads for awhile until we get a bit closer to the release date.

But on topic, I think Batman will move PS4 sales quite a bit. Destiny was available on all consoles, past and present—no need to upgrade to play that game. Batman is current-gen only, so I think that will be a motivating factor for people to upgrade in June.

Stanng243

Do you have sales numbers for all 3 games to back up your claim they sold better on 360? I've only seen Chobel's post about the first month of the first game. And given that 360 sold 13,000 more then the PS3, given the difference in install bases, that's pretty impressive.

*Sigh* Let's try this a different way; we explained why we think it will sell well: Historical performance, retailer insight, and the exceptionally high pre order interest. Now, you disagree, but have given no reason why. At all. No different interpretation of the available data, no new data that could back you up, only "Nope. Not seeing it." You have to see how this comes off as shit posting to us, right?

Javin98

Banned
Seriously, is it just me or is there a drastic increase in junior members who sprout bullshit around the time we continuously got sales numbers for the PS4?

Also, funny to see how Microsoft Chad is by far the top poster in this thread. I'm noticing a trend here.

Do you have sales numbers for all 3 games to back up your claim they sold better on 360? I've only seen Chobel's post about the first month of the first game. And given that 360 sold 13,000 more then the PS3, given the difference in install bases, that's pretty impressive.

We have two posts by users before this that show City and Asylum sold better on the 360 go look. We don't have Origin number apparently.

*Sigh* Let's try this a different way; we explained why we think it will sell well: Historical performance, retailer insight, and the exceptionally high pre order interest. Now, you disagree, but have given no reason why. At all. No different interpretation of the available data, no new data that could back you up, only "Nope. Not seeing it." You have to see how this comes off as shit posting to us, right?

No, because you are basing this off of Pre-orders and ONLY Pre-orders. For a game in the slow months, that's on 2 consoles and (correct me if I'm wrong) PC, that used to sell more on the brand who is now losing.

I don't see how any of that comes off as anything other than my opinion of not seeing it, we can disagree but I have no idea why you are ramming into me for it. You think it will I think it won't, so let's move on we don't need another derail or anything.

crazyprac

Seriously, is it just me or is there a drastic increase in junior members who sprout bullshit around the time we continuously got sales numbers for the PS4?

Also, funny to see how Microsoft Chad is by far the top poster in this thread. I'm noticing a trend here.

Early in this gen I tried to reason with them but I learned to just ignore. Although they're pretty good at avoiding reasoning and cherry picking data to serve their purpose.

Javin98

Banned
Early in this gen I tried to reason with them but I learned to just ignore. Although they're pretty good at avoiding reasoning and cherry picking data to serve their purpose.
Yep, pretty much. I should ignore them as well, but debating with them usually reveals their agenda.

It's a test.
If this is to test my sanity, I'm on the verge of losing it. Though it is fun XD

We have two posts by users before this that show City and Asylum sold better on the 360 go look. We don't have Origin number apparently.

No, because you are basing this off of Pre-orders and ONLY Pre-orders. For a game in the slow months, that's on 2 consoles and (correct me if I'm wrong) PC, that used to sell more on the brand who is now losing.

I don't see how any of that comes off as anything other than my opinion of not seeing it, we can disagree but I have no idea why you are ramming into me for it. You think it will I think it won't, so let's move on we don't need another derail or anything.
Sure, let's ignore all other valid reasons that prove that the PS4 will sell very well thanks to Arkham Knight and move on. You don't see the problem in this?

Yes it's BS because I don't agree with you that it will break trends for june, and I'm not the only one who's said that.

Notice, if I was not a junior member, we wouldn't be having this extended conversation over me not believing in something that's subjective.

Stanng243

So you stated that 3 games sold on better on 1 platform off 2 posts that discussed the first month of sales for 2 of the games? If you're going to make wild assumptions like that, it's your job to back it up with facts when called on it.

So you stated that 3 games sold on better on 1 platform off 2 posts that discussed the first month of sales for 2 of the games? If you're going to make wild assumptions like that, it's your job to back it up with facts when called on it.

I never stated 3 games. I said a series that has sold more on the other brand, which is true, from what we have. We have data for 2 games selling more, we don't have data for he third, which is the least popular game unless I'm mistaken. Both he previous games sold more. This means that more 360 users played Batman, this is something we shouldn't ignore just because.

Javin98

Banned
Yes it's BS because I don't agree with you that it will break trends for june, and I'm not the only one who's said that.

Notice, if I was not a junior member, we wouldn't be having this extended conversation over me not believing in something that's subjective.
LOL, bullshit. We would argue it out as much with a full member if he made ridiculous claims like you. But whether you can even get to that point is totally up to you. And I can tell you it's not going well for you right now.

LOL, bullshit. We would argue it out as much with a full member if he made ridiculous claims like you. But whether you can even get to that point is totally up to you. And I can tell you it's not going well for you right now.

Ridiculous claims like me not seeing Batman breaking sales past 350k, and what's this, I see another user earlier in this thread who said that snd you didn't even question him how very odd.

Weird too that me not believing Batman will break records, based on the fact the series sold more on the other console, based on the fact we only have pre-orders to go on which doesn't tell us ANYTHING, based on the fact that Batman will be on 3(?) systems, is an opinion!!!!

But apparently it's a claim now. Again, why do all this to Junior members, but not do it to a guy like say this:

Batman will not push the PS4 over 350k in June. That I can bet on.

Btw no one asked for his reason.

Stanng243

I never stated 3 games. I said a series that has sold more on the other brand, which is true, from what we have. We have data for 2 games selling more, we don't have data for he third, which is the least popular game unless I'm mistaken. Both he previous games sold more. This means that more 360 users played Batman, this is something we shouldn't ignore just because.

The series is 3 games. You said that that series sold better on one platform then the other, and at that point your only evidence was 2 of the games sold more in the first month. You keep stating it as a fact that it sold more on one platform even though we only have 1 months numbers. You don't see a problem with that?

Chobel, is that the first month only for Origins?

Chobel

The series is 3 games. You said that that series sold better on one platform then the other, and at that point your only evidence was 2 of the games sold more in the first month. You keep stating it as a fact that it sold more on one platform even though we only have 1 months numbers. You don't see a problem with that?

Chobel, is that the first month only for Origins?

Yep.

Javin98

Banned
Ridiculous claims like me not seeing Batman breaking sales past 350k, and what's this, I see another user earlier in this thread who said that snd you didn't even question him how very odd.

Weird too that me not believing Batman will break records, based on the fact the series sold more on the other console, based on the fact we only have pre-orders to go on which doesn't tell us ANYTHING, based on the fact that Batman will be on 3(?) systems, is an opinion!!!!

But apparently it's a claim now.
And you conveniently continue to ignore the FACT that the PS4's install base is larger than the XB1's in the US unlike last gen. Let me make something abundantly clear: The demand for the limited edition bundle is pretty high and this is a fact! Now if you wanna debate it, use facts instead of your own assumptions like you have been doing since you started posting in this thread. And like Stanng said, you're using first month numbers to prove your point. You don't think it's possible for the PS3 version to outsell the 360 version in the long run?

Stanng243

Thank you. I can't see any way to state as a fact that the entire series sold better on 360 based on the first month for each game. I could be wrong. Those games had legs if i remember correctly, they also came out digitally and that's not even taking into account the PS+ free versions.

Chobel

But apparently it's a claim now.

That was mainly because 360 had significantly larger user base than PS3.

Oh, F@#K you persecution complex. Notice how we are not having this conversation with Bgamer90? Because he gave enough of a shit to explain why he thinks the way he does. No "I don't want to explain. Let's stop talking." He cares and that it what makes a solid member of sales Gaf. No, "I feel," or "I just think," but offering insight and honest discussion on why we think things will play out a certain way. Your contribution? "Batman is on 3 platforms." Well, Destiny was 4. "Batman sold better on 360." Well, that was when they were market leaders and now PS4 is. You see how adding even the smallest amount of effort can offer something actually tangible to the conversation rather than become something "derailing?"

Conduit

Banned

Not PS4 Batman bundle alone 350k, but PS4 as a whole in that month. So, it's highly possible.

And you conveniently continue to ignore the FACT that the PS4's install base is larger than the XB1's in the US unlike last gen. Let me make something abundantly clear: The demand for the limited edition bundle is pretty high and this is a fact! Now if you wanna debate it, use facts instead of your own assumptions like you have been doing since you started posting in this thread. And like Stanng said, you're using first month numbers to prove your point. You don't think it's possible for the PS3 version to outsell the 360 version in the long run?

No you're ignoring the fact that more 360 users playing batman is something that could CHANGE how it works in terms of sales. Installbase is only a small part of the issue.

No demand for the limited edition console being high isn't a fact, because we only have pre-orders to go on and we have no idea what the pre-order numbers are,. It's not a fact because you say it's a fact.

Also believing PS4 will break 350k in June is not a fact unless you are from the future. You seem, to have no clue what you're talking about. Me saying I don't believe PS4 will break 350k or be around it in June is an OPINION, and that's something you have not attacked OTHER PEOPLE for except me, mostly probably because I'm a junior member.

Also, a user posted an LTD (i don't recall if it was AC or AK) saying we don't have the LTD but 360?PS3, so no it's not just launch month numbers I'm using or has been posted by other people.

Also your last sentence is moving goal posts because you were arguing before it was the 360 installbase, now you're syaing the PS3 may have outsold the 360 version in the long run.

But let's backpedal for a second:

Batman will not push the PS4 over 350k in June. That I can bet on.

And nobody ever questioned his reasoning, why? Regular non-junior member.

As others have already pointed out, the 360 had a massive lead in userbase in the US. However, the PS4 is ahead of the XB1 this time around plus the fact that Sony has marketing rights to Arkham Knight. It is illogical to predict the performance of the Batman bundles based on the past generation.

The problem is that you are continuing the bad habit of presenting your opinions as facts and ignoring the shift in userbase distribution. I don't always agree with Bgamer90, for instance, but at least he presents his points in a logical manner that I understand where he's coming from.

Oh, F@#K you persecution complex. Notice how we are not having this conversation with Bgamer90? Because he gave enough of a shit to explain why he thinks the way he does. No "I don't want to explain. Let's stop talking." He cares and that it what makes a solid member of sales Gaf. No, "I feel," or "I just think," but offering insight and honest discussion on why we think things will play out a certain way. Your contribution? "Batman is on 3 platforms." Well, Destiny was 4. "Batman sold better on 360." Well, that was when they were market leaders and now PS4 is. You see how adding even the smallest amount of effort can offer something actually tangible to the conversation rather than become something "derailing?"

It's not a complex at all it's a fact, I'm not the only one that said Batman may not break 350k at all (I am including all SKUs) other people have questioned it or said no, and they were not rapidly attacked for it.

Also I have explained myself numerous times, you are literally ignoring me to make it seem that way so when other people look at this thread, they will only bother reading part of it. This is called dishonest posting.

I'll explain it for the 55th time right now:

1. From what has been posted by other users 360 version of other Batman games sold more.

2. June is slow.

3. Pre-orders don't tell us ANYTHING they are Pre-orders.

4. E3 will be going on at the same time effecting not only buying decisions but pre-orders of other games.

5. Batman will be on 3(?) systems.

But continue saying I never explained myself.

As others have already pointed out, the 360 had a massive lead in userbase in the US. However, the PS4 is ahead of the XB1 this time around plus the fact that Sony has marketing rights to Arkham Knight. It is illogical to predict the performance of the Batman bundles based on the past generation.

The problem is that you are continuing the bad habit of presenting your opinions as facts and ignoring the shift in userbase distribution. I don't always agree with Bgamer90, for instance, but at least he presents his points in a logical manner that I understand where he's coming from.

I didn't press any opinion as fact I have said numerous times:

I DO NOT THINK THAT BATMAN WILL HELP THE PS4 GET through 350K.

And I have explained my reasons numerous times everyone is ignoring for reason that still don't make sense to me.

That was mainly because 360 had significantly larger user base than PS3.

This doesn't change anything because it still means MORE 360 USERS PLAYED BATMAN.

THUS IF MORE 360 USERS PLAYED BATMAN and BATMAN IS A NEXT GEN ONLY GAME, WHERE WILL THOSE BATMAN FANS ON THE 360 GO? SOME OF THOSE WILL PROBABLY GET AN XBOX ONE OR PC AND NOT A PS4. SOME MAY GET A PS4.

1. From what has been posted by other users 360 version of other Batman games sold more.

Massive install base difference. If you seriously think that it's a negligible factor, then this discussion isn't even worth having.

So was Watch_Dogs & Destiny.

THUS IF MORE 360 USERS PLAYED BATMAN and BATMAN IS A NEXT GEN ONLY GAME, WHERE WILL THOSE BATMAN FANS ON THE 360 GO? SOME OF THOSE WILL PROBABLY GET AN XBOX ONE OR PC AND NOT A PS4. SOME MAY GET A PS4.

Franchises that more 360 players played on than PS3 players in US:
All of them*
(except Final Fantasy & MK2011)

Franchises that PS4 outsold XB1 in US (to date):
All of them*
(except Call of Duty) (if there's any other, correct me if I'm wrong)

I'll explain it for the 55th time right now:

2. June is slow.

3. Pre-orders don't tell us ANYTHING they are Pre-orders.

4. E3 will be going on at the same time effecting not only buying decisions but pre-orders of other games.

1. Last gen, the 360 led the PS3 by a lot. This time, the PS4 is leading.
2. Fair point, but at the same time, Batman is a huge franchise.
3. Pre-orders tells us what how much demand there is for a product. The limited edition bundle sold out in a flash to the point that, as Abdiel said, it was comical.
4. There is a big gap between the release dates of Arkham Knight and games that will be shown at E3.
5. Arkham Knight will be on 3 systems, but only one of them is getting the special bundle treatment.

Can you explain what you mean by that?

If more 360 users played Batman, why are we ignoring that criteria? Those Batman players, a number of them, could go to other systems than the PS4, and change sales around, the Batman game is on Xbox One, PC and PS4 right? So when people think Batman is going to break 350k easily with the Help of Batman limited/regular bundles, it should be taken to consideration, more Batman fans, NPD wise, are on the 360.

Stanng243

No you're ignoring the fact that more 360 users playing batman is something that could CHANGE how it works in terms of sales. Installbase is only a small part of the issue.

No demand for the limited edition console being high isn't a fact, because we only have pre-orders to go on and we have no idea what the pre-order numbers are,. It's not a fact because you say it's a fact.

Also believing PS4 will break 350k in June is not a fact unless you are from the future. You seem, to have no clue what you're talking about. Me saying I don't believe PS4 will break 350k or be around it in June is an OPINION, and that's something you have not attacked OTHER PEOPLE for except me, mostly probably because I'm a junior member.

Also, a user posted an LTD (i don't recall if it was AC or AK) saying we don't have the LTD but 360?PS3, so no it's not just launch month numbers I'm using or has been posted by other people.

Also your last sentence is moving goal posts because you were arguing before it was the 360 installbase, now you're syaing the PS3 may have outsold the 360 version in the long run.

But let's backpedal for a second:

And nobody ever questioned his reasoning, why? Regular non-junior member.

Do you have any data to back the bolded claim? You say it's a fact, but we have seen nothing to prove that.
These are facts:
The 360 versions of the Arkham series sold more in the first month for NPD.
NPD doesn't track digital sales.
Arkham City and Arkham Asylum were given away on PS+.

In my opinion, being that the games were given away to ps+ users, in addition to the sales, it seems more likely that more PS3 users would have played the games

I think a lot of the current confusion comes from the fact that people here "360 version?PS3 version" of previous batman games and they say install base. I have now found one of the confusion points.

You guys aren't considering that Install base has nothing to do with it, if the 360 version sold more that means there are MORE people who played Batman on the 360.

That should be taken into consideration for any Batman debate for June and thinking the PS4 will be around 350k, some of those 360 Batman users may move to PC or the Xbox one.

Do you have any data to back the bolded claim? You say it's a fact, but we have seen nothing to prove that.
These are facts:
The 360 versions of the Arkham series sold more in the first month for NPD.
NPD doesn't track digital sales.
Arkham City and Arkham Asylum were given away on PS+.

In my opinion, being that the games were given away to ps+ users, in addition to the sales, it seems more likely that more PS3 users would have played the games

I'm pretty sure one user said LtD 360>PS4, but we have no numbers. Correct if wrong (I think that was Nitengale.)

I can't also answer your question because we don't have digital and we don't know how much was given away on PSN+.

If more 360 users played Batman, why are we ignoring that criteria? Those Batman players, a number of them, could go to other systems than the PS4, and change sales around, the Batman game is on Xbox One, PC and PS4 right? So when people think Batman is going to break 350k easily with the Help of Batman limited/regular bundles, it should be taken to consideration, more Batman fans, NPD wise, are on the 360.

There was a survey last year that showed approximately a third of the PS4 userbase contained gamers that only owned a Wii or a 360 in the previous generation. In addition, considering that the XB1 has been selling slowly outside of the holiday seasons, it is not unreasonable to think that there are still a bunch of 360 gamers that are still holding off on the current gen.

When those hold-offs finally want to jump into current gen, they're going to go for the console that has better value. This is where the Batman bundles come into play and will significantly sway consumers to the PS4.

Top Bottom