• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer - S4 |OT| of Babou, Therapy Cranes, Whorediots & the Danger Zone - Thurs on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Chlamydiot", did I spell that right? and "guy, or however you self-identify" were the lines of the night. Another specific line could get you banned on gaf, so we'll stay away from that.

Fuck awesome eepisode. But how the fuck old is Ron? Was he in world war 2?

Not in WW2 but he says his crew started boosting cars in 1945. So I'd assume he was at least 15-16 by that point if not older. That would put him at least in his 80s. That is one spry 80 year old.

Trouble

Banned
Not in WW2 but he says his crew started boosting cars in 1945. So I'd assume he was at least 15-16 by that point if not older. That would put him at least in his 80s. That is one spry 80 year old.

Depends on when Archer actually takes place. I think the period is intentionally nebulous, the cars (and the Grand Prix) seem to say 60s-70s, but Burt Reynolds' age (and countless other references) would say modern day.

Good points. Thinking about it even the tech in the office seems 70's. But they do have cell phones. I think it's modern day but just has that 70's flair as a call back to old spy shows like Get Smart. Well Get Smart was late 60's but you know what I mean.

Uncle

Depends on when Archer actually takes place. I think the period is intentionally nebulous, the cars (and the Grand Prix) seem to say 60s-70s, but Burt Reynolds' age (and countless other references) would say modern day.

And the Soviet Union still exists.

ibbXKF8iL4mwgw.gif

ibpy7UwGOOoARS.gif

ikfaGJUEneZfM.gif

ig6VZkNidzlIx.gif

icKbcWkWENMEk.gif

ibap4N09z8uWtw.gif

ibwACKfKdrM72N.gif

iYLKWUZIy3iW4.gif

I feel kind of broken seeing all these responses, as I thought that episode was pretty weak overall. It certainly picked up in the second half, but it was too Ron focused, and I just don't find him funny. I know he's not supposed to be, generally, but I haven't really enjoyed his interactions with characters or anything they've had him do so far.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
the animation on this show has got soooo much better each season.

also i did laugh at the gun part in the trucker warehouse godammit ron

Watching everything get better from Sealab 2021 -> Frisky Dingo -> Archer has been pretty incredible.

FoneBone

There've been a couple jokes about this on the show, actually.

Archer: Wait, doesn't Italy use a king?
Lana: No, they don't "use a king!"
Malory: What year do you think this is?!
Archer: I... yeah, exactly. Good question.

- NY Mag: Vulture’s Week in Obscure Archer References With Matt Thompson: ‘Midnight Ron’
Every Friday from now on, Matt Thompson will be giving Vulture the down-low on the inside jokes and obscure references from that week's episode. In last night's “Midnight Ron,”Archer and his stepdad bonded while being chased by gangsters. Here, Thompson tells us about recruiting a former Top Chef finalist to play one special trucker and having Jessica Walter’s husband voice “the most boringest man on this entire planet of Earth.”

Odoul

Where the hell would you get A)Enough spider webs to fill a bowl and B)time to gather them all in one night.

Archer is such a sadistic little shithole!

- A few tidbits from the Warming Glow Q&A with Archer producer Casey Willis:

Note the paper in last week's episode:

Also....
Q: How did you guys research the transvestite trucker costumes? Just, um, curious.

A: We had some brave illustrators dress up in costumes lovingly prepared by Kat Shea. Hmmm, maybe lovingly isn’t the right word. Horrifyingly prepared? I think she was pretty scarred afterward.

Shout out to Chaz, Ron, Shannon, and Pierre for being brave enough to wear that stuff.

Q: Have to say this season has been solid as hell so far. Not that the previous seasons have been bad in any way, just a little uneven. Would you say this season is consistently the best one yet and if so, did that depend on anything particular? New processes for scripts and production etc? Or are you just more comfortable with the characters and episode creation?

A: I think it is a combination of a lot of things. I think every season has been great and it’s hard to judge them against one another because there is very little break between them for us guys working on them. I can tell you that you guys are going to see some very impressive visuals going forward this season.

Q: Your IMDB page tells me you not only produce Archer, but also provide the occasional voice. And you produced and illustrated for Frisky Dingo. How did you get your start in the business?

A: I’ve been working with Matt and Adam for almost 10 years. My friend Christian Danley started working for 70-30 (studio that made Sealab and Frisky) and helped me get an internship. That lead to freelance work which lead to a full-time job! I’ve done a lot of small voices on Archer (usually one or two lines). My biggest role was the hobbit on Frisky Dingo.

I also wrote The Xtacles with Christian and Matt. Even though it only lasted two episodes I was very proud of it.

Q: Was TV always something you wanted to do, or did it just…kind of happen?

A: I was interested in animation when I was young but I thought it was all done by Disney or in Korea so I didn’t think I’d ever do it. Adult Swim just happened at the right time. I’ve very happy that we make such a cool looking show right here in Atlanta!

Q: Does Sterling like sushi? I can’t remember.

A: Hmmm. I’m unsure. We know Gillette does because he’s usually eating a cute bento box for lunch.

Q: How far are we from Bourdain showing up? Who’s your favorite guest this season?

A: Bourdain is a few weeks away. He was great. All the guests have been great. There are still some surprises in store!

Q: Will the ISIS crew ever make it back down to Ferlin County?

A: No this season but maybe one day.

Q: Do people at work or on the street ever come up to you and scream ‘Mulatto Butts!! ” ?

If not, I hope we never cross paths.

A: Never. But storyboard artist Kevin Mellon just told me that when he first started working at Archer his ringtone was Mulatto Butts and he changed it so people wouldn’t look at him weird.

Q: Will we see any of the following this season – Conway Stern (Not his real name), Elegant Dinner Parties, Train Dwarf?

A: Conway made an apperance last week I believe. There will not be a dinner party but you will see Pam chow down on a fancy buffet. No Train Dwarf.

Q: What sort of non-spoilery preview can you give us for next week?

A: Good question. I’m not 100% sure what will be shown next week. But if it is the one I’m thinking of
it will catch us up on what Barry’s been doing.

Q: Are the Archer cast doing the background vocals on Mulatto Butts?

A: I sing the main part and several illustrators including Character Designer Chi Duong back me up.

Q: are we ever going to meet “the Old Gypsy woman”?

A: I kinda hope we don’t. I love that she’s such a mystery.

Q: Also, great job on the geography last night. Coxsackie and Catskill are only about 10 miles apart. Right off of I-87. Also, nice detail with Route 9W on the Coxsackie exit sign. Who was responsible for looking this up?

A: Chad Hurd (Associate Art Director) looked at the entire route on Google street view.

Q: did Archer get that hot tub after using the one at Spelvin’s place at the end of “Tragical History”?

A: Pretty sure Spelvin had a Japanese soaking tub. He was a real Nippophile.

Q: Any particular reason for Carmen being the opera of choice?

A: I’m not sure but there was a pretty funny outtake of Archer making up lyrics to Habanera. I believe it went something like this:

I am so pretty, I live it Cuba, the sun is hot and so am I….

Q: Was the main trucker guy intended to look like Kevin Gillespie from Top Chef? Because he totally did.

A: Yes. He was nice enough to come to the studio and let us take his picture so we could draw him in the show. He is also the voice of the trucker.

Q: Bravo for the retro bag of Doritos.

A: There was actually a big debate in the studio about the existence of bags of chips in our fake version of the 50's-ish. In the end we decided there where.

Q: Will there be a followup to Mulatto Butts?

A: I wanted to make a full-length version but I could never get the funds together. I’ve even talked to a real-life rapper about guesting on the track. I’d ask Parnell to rap on it too. But, I have no idea if it will ever happen

Q: I was born and raised in Schenectady (not bragging). How did you guys decide to pick that as the city Ron was in for last night’s episode?

A: It’s a funny name… Not as funny as Coxsackie but still pretty funny.

Q: will we ever be able to figure out the proper time placement for Archer? Or does Archer exist in a locale without time or space?

A: Adam leaves it very ambigous on purpose. This way it can be the Cold War and they can also have cell phones, internet, etc.

Mazre

Just saw the new episode.

"Aww, Fat Mike too?" Dem Frisky Dingo call backs.

Cheryl's gypsy woman being correct, hope this comes up again or even gets figured more prominently in a future episode somehow.

Poor Woodhouse. =(

Edit: LMAO at the newspaper from last week, was wondering if they had snuck stuff in there, couldn't tell in SD.

Edit 2:

Where the hell would you get A)Enough spider webs to fill a bowl and B)time to gather them all in one night.

Archer is such a sadistic little shithole!

Archer probably makes Woodhouse collect them over time as he cleans, solely for the purpose of future punishments.

BigAT

Archer probably makes Woodhouse collect them over time as he cleans, solely for the purpose of future punishments.

Agreed. It's just like when he forced Woodhouse to buy sand for his own punishment.

Archer: I have to go. But if I find one single dog hair when I get back, I'll rub...sand...in your dead little eyes.
Woodhouse: Very good, sir.
Archer: I also need you to buy sand.
Woodhouse: Yes, sir.
Archer: I don't know if they grade it, but... coarse.

I have the tiniest nitpick - there is no "between Schenectady and Albany" on I-87.

I-87 doesn't go through Schenectady.

That is so minor and nitpicky it's stupid, but whatev.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

At some point in Season 3 Archer makes a specific reference to how much time has passed between WWII and present day. I think it was something like 35 years, which makes sense given his age (if he was born before/during WWII).

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I feel kind of broken seeing all these responses, as I thought that episode was pretty weak overall. It certainly picked up in the second half, but it was too Ron focused, and I just don't find him funny. I know he's not supposed to be, generally, but I haven't really enjoyed his interactions with characters or anything they've had him do so far.

I can't think of a singled episode of Archer that I've actually felt that way about. I've loved every single episode up to this point.

Nori Chan

Agreed. It's just like when he forced Woodhouse to buy sand for his own punishment.

Archer: I have to go. But if I find one single dog hair when I get back, I'll rub...sand...in your dead little eyes.
Woodhouse: Very good, sir.
Archer: I also need you to buy sand.
Woodhouse: Yes, sir.
Archer: I don't know if they grade it, but... coarse.

I never got the coarse part of the joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom